|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ged run back home?
(a) He is late for dinner
(b) To find a spell to show the girl
(c) To get away from the girl
(d) The girl will turn him into a toad if he does not get back in 5 minutes.
2. Whose spirit does Ged raise?
(a) His grandfather
(b) The spirit of the dead
(c) The spirit of an earthsea legend
(d) His mother
3. At what age does Duny have his naming ceremony?
4. Where does Hardic have his roots?
(a) Ancient speech
(b) British Science
(c) Roman philosophy
(d) Greek philosophy
5. What does Master Namer teach him?
(a) Ancient spells
(b) Ancient names
(c) The etiquette of a wizard
(d) Ancient history
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jasper react to Ged not showing them any of his spells?
2. What does Ged have to study?
3. With whom is Ged sent to study?
4. Who challenges Ged to a battle?
5. Where does the tribe attack begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Jasper and Ged become such enemies?
2. Is it significant that characters can deplete the powers of both wizards and dragons by saying their real names?
3. Why do you think LeGuin's book harks back to the Middle Ages?
4. Why does Le Guin present a wizard's name as so important?
5. How is pride proving Ged's biggest obstacle?
6. What do you think the shadow represents to Ged?
7. Why do you think it is important for Ged to have a nemesis like Jasper?
8. What do you think the differences are between a town witch and a wizard?
9. How does Ged overcompensate for his mistakes?
10. What does Ged running away from the Shadow symbolize?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)