|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Price say made physical therapy bearable?
2. What put Price back in the hospital?
3. What did Reynolds Price find when he finally went to the hospital?
4. What was the effect of the new demon in Price's experience?
5. What does Price say was the critical reaction to Kate Vaiden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Price's withdrawal from methodone.
2. What benefit did Price derive from his hypnosis?
3. Describe Price's experience with hypnosis as a treatment.
4. What prognosis doe Dr. Shuping give Price?
5. Describe Price's reunion with Daniel Voll.
6. What was the new demon Price experienced after his second surgery?
7. What professional triumphs did Price enjoy in the winter of 1987?
8. How does Price say Daniel Voll helped him when he was having a hard time accepting his condition?
9. How did Price's community react to his being housebound?
10. What did biofeedback entail for Price?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the different jobs this book does? (Consoling, expressing emotions, testifying, educating, entertaining, etc.) Which jobs does it finish, and which jobs does it do intermittently? Which things does it do for you as a reader? What jobs do you think it did best for Price?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the effectiveness of surgery and biofeedback and hypnosis. How are they similar? How are they different? Why was hypnosis so effective for treating his pain? Why did it take so long for Price to try it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an evaluative review of "A Whole New Life". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)