|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Price say his outlook was, at the end of chapter 6?
2. What changed when Reynolds Price injured himself?
3. What did Daniel Voll have installed in the house?
4. What does Price say Diana Betz came to see him for?
5. What did Dr. Friedman say was causing Price's pains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Price's reunion with Daniel Voll.
2. Describe Price's withdrawal from methodone.
3. What prognosis doe Dr. Shuping give Price?
4. What professional triumphs did Price enjoy in the winter of 1987?
5. Describe Price's trip to New York.
6. How did Price's condition change after Christmas 1985?
7. Describe Price's second surgery.
8. Describe the story Price told when he was commissioned by Hendrix College.
9. Describe Price's experience with hypnosis as a treatment.
10. How does Price say he thought about his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The AIDS epidemic began in the U.S. in 1981, only a few years before Price's illness. How does the spectre of AIDS appear in the book, and how does Price handle the panic and dread that comes from a possible death sentence (even though his condition was quite different from AIDS)? Are there thematic similarities with AIDS patients, that give AIDS a resonance in "A Whole New Life"?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of "A Whole New Life". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Price says that illness was new in his life, but at the beginning of the book, he was 51, and just starting to see the effect of age. Using examples from the text, describe how Price had expected his future to go, and how it differed from the future he expected to have. How did Price prepare himself for the future he expected to have? How well prepared was he for the future he had to live with instead?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)