|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drove Price back and forth for radiation sessions?
2. Which physical problem has Reynolds Price NOT encountered at the beginning of "A Whole New Life"?
3. Where was Marcia Bennett's husband when she was taking care of Price?
4. What had the surgeon discovered?
5. What could Reynolds Price do by himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Price's profound dream.
2. Describe Price's condition when he emerged from surgery.
3. What effect did radiation therapy have on Price's body?
4. What did Price's doctors recommend for the next step after surgery?
5. What was Price's condition when he stayed with Marcia Bennett?
6. How athletic was Price?
7. What radiation regimen was Price placed on?
8. What does Price say he had to do, before he asked Marcia Bennett about staying with her?
9. What does Price say he learned about his tumor?
10. What was the first prognosis for Price's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Reynolds Price's literary style like, and how does Price's language itself reveal the effect his illness had on him? Where is his language most powerful, in his life? What experiences does it fail to do justice to? How does he compensate for the weakness of his language?
Essay Topic 2
The AIDS epidemic began in the U.S. in 1981, only a few years before Price's illness. How does the spectre of AIDS appear in the book, and how does Price handle the panic and dread that comes from a possible death sentence (even though his condition was quite different from AIDS)? Are there thematic similarities with AIDS patients, that give AIDS a resonance in "A Whole New Life"?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the effectiveness of surgery and biofeedback and hypnosis. How are they similar? How are they different? Why was hypnosis so effective for treating his pain? Why did it take so long for Price to try it?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)