|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Price say was the critical reaction to Kate Vaiden?
(a) Mixed reviews and critical disinterest.
(b) Positive reviews.
(c) The book was ignored.
(d) Harsh reviews.
2. What changed that allowed Price to return to writing?
(a) He started to take new drugs.
(b) He found someone else to help him around the house.
(c) His incision healed.
(d) The tumor responded to treatment.
3. Where did Reynolds Price and Daniel Voll travel to together?
(a) To Arkansas for rehearsals.
(b) To New York for experimental treatments.
(c) To Washington D.C. for a literary award ceremony.
(d) To California to visit his family.
4. What was the result of Price's first visit with Patrick Louge?
(a) Painful side effects.
(b) Nausea and dizziness.
(c) Panic attacks.
(d) Relief and relaxation.
5. What does Price say accompanied his pains, now?
(b) Nausea and malaise.
(d) Existential dread.
6. What award did Kate Vaiden win?
(a) The Newbury Medal.
(b) The Nobel prize.
(c) The National Book Critics Circle.
(d) The Pulitzer.
7. How had the tumor changed since Price's surgery and radiation therapy?
(a) It had moved up his spine.
(b) It had changed shape.
(c) It had wrapped itself tighter around his spine.
(d) It had gotten smaller.
8. What was different about Daniel Voll's visit, when he returned to see Price?
(a) Price was more remote on account of his pain.
(b) Price was more grateful for what Dan had experienced with him.
(c) Price was more in control of his pain.
(d) Price was resentful to think of the conditions Dan had seen him in.
9. Who was Lawrence Wall?
(a) Reynolds Price's lover.
(b) Reynolds Price's surgeon.
(c) Daniel Voll's replacement.
(d) Reynolds Price's physical therapist.
10. What was the 'new demon' Price encountered after surgery?
(a) Side effects of a drug.
(b) Disorientation from his drugs.
(c) Withdrawal from a drug.
(d) Phantom pains.
11. What did Reynolds Price do upon returning from his trip with Daniel Voll?
(a) Retreat into bed.
(b) Rewrite the play.
(c) Write another play.
(d) Submit a proposal for a new book.
12. What does Price say his outlook was like by April 1985?
(b) Still uncertain.
(c) Much improved.
13. How does Price characterize his relationship with his students?
(a) They inspired each other.
(b) Only a few of them respected him.
(c) They did not understand each other.
(d) Only a rare few of them warranted his respect.
14. What kind of program does Price say he entered after biofeedback?
(a) Physical therapy.
(d) Spiritual counseling.
15. What was Reynolds Price's response to the trip he took with Daniel Voll?
(a) He was inspired.
(b) He was humbled.
(c) He was appalled.
(d) He was depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed when Reynolds Price injured himself?
2. What happened to the offer the Andersons made?
3. How did Reynolds Price injure himself?
4. What strength does Price say he gained as a result of physical therapy?
5. What did Price's doctor recommend?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)