|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Price's social circle change as he continued with radiation therapy?
(a) People avoided him as his moods deteriorated.
(b) People from church flocked to him.
(c) His friends abandoned him as his condition worsened.
(d) Only his close family continued to visit.
2. What was Price given for the next few days after surgery?
3. How long was Reynolds Price in surgery?
(a) 4 hours.
(b) 10 hours.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) 8 hours.
4. Which physical problem has Reynolds Price NOT encountered at the beginning of "A Whole New Life"?
(a) Chronic back pain.
(c) A torn ligament in his knee.
(d) A waning of sexual desire.
5. What was Price told during his dream?
(a) That he was being spared for a higher purpose.
(b) That he would have to change his ways.
(c) That his sins were forgiven.
(d) That he was not going to be allowed to die until his work was complete.
6. What did Price's body fail to do when his brain told him to do it?
(a) Stand up.
(b) Focus on a book.
(d) Write a letter.
7. What was Price's condition when he returned home?
(a) He was still mobile.
(b) He was still in bed.
(c) He was still groggy and in pain.
(d) He was paralyzed.
8. Which poet did Price NOT hear from?
(a) Phillip Roth.
(b) John Updike.
(c) Stephen Spender.
(d) Raymond Carver.
9. What is Marcia Bennett's relation with Reynolds Price?
10. What work was Price waiting to resume while he was in radiation therapy?
(a) Writing a book of essays.
(b) Reviewing books.
(c) Writing a memoir.
(d) Writing a novel.
11. How was alcohol affecting him in a new way?
(a) One drink would make him drunk.
(b) He could drink and drink without getting drunk.
(c) He felt poisoned.
(d) He would have a severe allergic reaction.
12. Who drove Price back and forth for radiation sessions?
(c) His wife.
(d) Hospice workers.
13. When had Price enjoyed this hobby previously?
(b) Right before he got cancer.
(c) During his teaching years.
(d) Young adulthood.
14. What did Price dream vividly about?
(a) Being with Jesus.
(b) Being in the womb.
(c) Being dead.
(d) Being at his own funeral.
15. What did Price's friend from Florida make sure Price had?
(a) Rest and quiet.
(b) Emotional support from friends.
(c) Nutritious food.
(d) Warm clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Marcia Bennett's husband when she was taking care of Price?
2. When did Reynolds Price begin to notice changes in his body?
3. How was Price's gait affected by his condition?
4. How does Price describe radiation therapy?
5. What was Price able to move when he emerged from surgery?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)