|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
2. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
3. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
4. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
5. What was life like for the PRG in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
2. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
3. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
4. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
5. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
6. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
7. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
8. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
9. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
10. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) was formed in response to Nixon's Vietnamization strategies. Explain the domestic, international and diplomatic goals of the PRG.
Essay Topic 2
When Tang decided to forgo his pharmacy studies and focus instead on political science, his political views began to sway. In which direction did Tang's new studies take him politically? What did Tang come to understand about the relationship between Vietnam and France?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Albert Thao's personality. What was his ultimate mission politically, and why?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)