|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What break came to Tang and his wife via his wife's brother-in-law?
2. Why did the PRG believe that having Tang's brothers working for the South Vietnamese government might help their cause?
3. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
4. What did Tang hope to obtain upon his trip as part of the PRG's delegation at Algiers' independence celebration?
5. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
2. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
3. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
4. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
5. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
6. What did Nguyen Van Thieu make clear immediately upon Tran Van Lam's signing of the Paris accords?
7. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
8. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
9. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
10. How did the NLF gain the support of the local population near Kratie, along the western banks of the Mekong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saigon's regime, led by Thieu, refuses to abide by an agreement of the Paris Accord signed by his own foreign minister. Explain Thieu's actions following the signing of the Accord. Discuss the PRG's reaction to Thieu's tactics at this time.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Tang found Diem's government policies intolerable. What was most distressing about Diem from Tang's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Who was the main influence upon Tang's political awakening? How did this person come to influence Tang to such a degree in a short period of time?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)