|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang do for his brother, Bich, in Chapter 22?
2. Upon Tang's visit to Moscow from Algiers, what did his anticipated "vacation" turn out to be?
3. What was Sihanouk's title in Cambodia in early 1970?
4. What was the American Senate's Hatfield amendment?
5. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
2. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
3. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
4. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
5. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
6. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
7. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
8. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
9. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
10. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Albert Thao's personality. What was his ultimate mission politically, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What instigated Tang's decision to stay in France after completing his academic studies and resigning from the navy? Describe his thought processes on the matter. What interfered with that decision?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)