|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
2. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
3. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
4. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
5. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
2. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
3. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
4. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
5. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
6. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
7. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
8. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
9. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
10. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
Essay Topic 2
What instigated Tang's decision to stay in France after completing his academic studies and resigning from the navy? Describe his thought processes on the matter. What interfered with that decision?
Essay Topic 3
What were Tang's family's expectations for the way he should lead his life? What disappointments, if any, were faced by Tang's father as they applied to his son and how did his father react to these disappointments?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)