|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
2. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
3. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
4. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
5. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
2. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
3. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
4. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
5. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
6. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
7. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
8. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
9. Why was the organizing congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) held on June 6, 7 and 8, 1969?
10. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
Essay Topic 2
What instigated Tang's decision to stay in France after completing his academic studies and resigning from the navy? Describe his thought processes on the matter. What interfered with that decision?
Essay Topic 3
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)