|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
2. What did Tang do for his brother, Bich, in Chapter 22?
3. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
4. Which unit member was very popular for what he could provide the guerrillas with?
5. What was life like for the PRG in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the imminent signing of a negotiation agreement in Paris fill Tang and the nationalist forces with hope and excitement?
2. How did the NLF gain the support of the local population near Kratie, along the western banks of the Mekong?
3. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
4. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
5. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
6. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
7. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
8. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
9. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
10. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tang decided to forgo his pharmacy studies and focus instead on political science, his political views began to sway. In which direction did Tang's new studies take him politically? What did Tang come to understand about the relationship between Vietnam and France?
Essay Topic 2
What prevented Nguyen Huu Tho from attending the first meeting of the NLF as its newly-elected president? What were the events leading up to the inability to ensure Tho's presence at that meeting?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Tang found Diem's government policies intolerable. What was most distressing about Diem from Tang's point of view?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)