|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the NLF's response to Nixon's "Vietnamization"?
2. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
3. What were "elephant's intestines?"
4. Upon Tang's return to Hanoi in Chapter 20, what does he encounter in the city he has not visited for thirty years?
5. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
2. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
3. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
4. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
5. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
6. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
7. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
8. Why was the organizing congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) held on June 6, 7 and 8, 1969?
9. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
10. How did the NLF gain the support of the local population near Kratie, along the western banks of the Mekong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tang was abducted by the secret police, he was put into a prison to be tortured. Why was Tang reluctant to admit to the police that he was a communist if it would avoid further torture? What brought Tang to finally admit on paper that he was a communist, when he truly was not? How might this false admission effect Tang's political life in the future?
Essay Topic 2
What were Tang's family's expectations for the way he should lead his life? What disappointments, if any, were faced by Tang's father as they applied to his son and how did his father react to these disappointments?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tang's life in the Maquis after his exchange. Why is Tang sentimental about his and the other PRG members' time there?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)