|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the various sites for the PRG ministries chosen to be deep within the "Iron Triangle" of sanctuaries and bases, near the Cambodian border?
2. What happened when the city of Hue was taken by the NLF and Northern troops in January, 1968?
3. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
4. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
5. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the imminent signing of a negotiation agreement in Paris fill Tang and the nationalist forces with hope and excitement?
2. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
3. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
4. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
5. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
6. What access to information did the leaders of the PRG have in the Maquis?
7. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
8. Why was the organizing congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) held on June 6, 7 and 8, 1969?
9. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
10. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Albert Thao's personality. What was his ultimate mission politically, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who was the main influence upon Tang's political awakening? How did this person come to influence Tang to such a degree in a short period of time?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)