|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the American Senate's Hatfield amendment?
2. How did Nixon and Kissinger justify the Tet offensive bombings and invasion of Cambodia?
3. Why were both Nixon and Kissinger unable to formulate policies that would frustrate the strategies of the North?
4. The taking of Saigon by Northern forces hinged upon the fall of which centrally located city?
5. Where did the Northern escape routes directly lead to?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
2. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
3. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
4. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
5. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
6. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
7. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
8. Why was the organizing congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) held on June 6, 7 and 8, 1969?
9. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
10. What access to information did the leaders of the PRG have in the Maquis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why would an open opposition by Vietnam to either China or to the Soviets be hurtful to the emerging nation as far as Tang and the nationalists were concerned? In what ways were the Soviets and the Chinese helpful to Tang's cause?
Essay Topic 2
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who was the main influence upon Tang's political awakening? How did this person come to influence Tang to such a degree in a short period of time?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)