|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang do at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria to insult the Soviets?
2. What was Nixon's "Vietnamization" as the NLF saw it?
3. What did Tang's host want most to know from Tang during his visit to Budapest ?
4. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
5. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
2. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
3. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
4. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
5. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
6. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
7. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
8. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
9. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
10. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) was formed in response to Nixon's Vietnamization strategies. Explain the domestic, international and diplomatic goals of the PRG.
Essay Topic 3
Pham Hung and General Trung of Central Office South Vietnam (COSVN), Communist Party headquarters in South Vietnam, joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" after Northern forces retreated from southern Cambodian borders to Kratie. Explain the meaning of this quote as it relates to Vietnamese guerrilla fighters. How can the reader interpret Henry Kissinger's similar statement given in a journal article in 1968?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)