|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nixon's "Vietnamization" as the NLF saw it?
2. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
3. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
4. What break came to Tang and his wife via his wife's brother-in-law?
5. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
2. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
3. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
4. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
5. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
6. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
7. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
8. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
9. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
10. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What instigated Tang's decision to stay in France after completing his academic studies and resigning from the navy? Describe his thought processes on the matter. What interfered with that decision?
Essay Topic 2
What was the purpose for the NLF's forming of The Movement for Self-Determination? What did the movement hope to accomplish? Why did the movement choose the members it did?
Essay Topic 3
Pham Hung and General Trung of Central Office South Vietnam (COSVN), Communist Party headquarters in South Vietnam, joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" after Northern forces retreated from southern Cambodian borders to Kratie. Explain the meaning of this quote as it relates to Vietnamese guerrilla fighters. How can the reader interpret Henry Kissinger's similar statement given in a journal article in 1968?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)