|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
2. Why was an advisory Council of Elders formed during the Provisional Revolutionary Government's (PRG) congress?
3. The taking of Saigon by Northern forces hinged upon the fall of which centrally located city?
4. How did Nixon and Kissinger justify the Tet offensive bombings and invasion of Cambodia?
5. Who does Tang marry in the summer of 1976?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
2. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
3. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
4. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
5. What access to information did the leaders of the PRG have in the Maquis?
6. Why was the organizing congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) held on June 6, 7 and 8, 1969?
7. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
8. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
9. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
10. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pham Hung and General Trung of Central Office South Vietnam (COSVN), Communist Party headquarters in South Vietnam, joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" after Northern forces retreated from southern Cambodian borders to Kratie. Explain the meaning of this quote as it relates to Vietnamese guerrilla fighters. How can the reader interpret Henry Kissinger's similar statement given in a journal article in 1968?
Essay Topic 2
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 3
What instigated Tang's decision to stay in France after completing his academic studies and resigning from the navy? Describe his thought processes on the matter. What interfered with that decision?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)