|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most popular weaponry used in the Front?
2. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
3. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
4. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
5. What were the watchwords of the danh va dam strategy used throughout the Paris talks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
2. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
3. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
4. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
5. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
6. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
7. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
8. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
9. Why did the imminent signing of a negotiation agreement in Paris fill Tang and the nationalist forces with hope and excitement?
10. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was the main influence upon Tang's political awakening? How did this person come to influence Tang to such a degree in a short period of time?
Essay Topic 2
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Tang found Diem's government policies intolerable. What was most distressing about Diem from Tang's point of view?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)