|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
2. Where did the NLF establish a new headquarters after America's Cambodian attack?
3. What was the most popular weaponry used in the Front?
4. What was Ba Cap's personality like?
5. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
2. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
3. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
4. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
5. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
6. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
7. When Tang's boat during his escape was attacked by pirates, why wasn't the situation as horrible as some others had been?
8. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
9. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
10. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the treatment of Tran Buu Kiem and Tran Bach Dang, who made minor blunders in front of Party officials, say about the the COSVN's treatment of leading intellectuals? What was the general tone and spirit of the workers' party at the time of Dang's and Diem's isolation and retirement?
Essay Topic 2
What instigated Tang's decision to stay in France after completing his academic studies and resigning from the navy? Describe his thought processes on the matter. What interfered with that decision?
Essay Topic 3
Why would an open opposition by Vietnam to either China or to the Soviets be hurtful to the emerging nation as far as Tang and the nationalists were concerned? In what ways were the Soviets and the Chinese helpful to Tang's cause?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)