|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
2. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
3. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
4. What was Nixon's "Vietnamization" as the NLF saw it?
5. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
2. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
3. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
4. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
5. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
6. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
7. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
8. Why did the imminent signing of a negotiation agreement in Paris fill Tang and the nationalist forces with hope and excitement?
9. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
10. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was the main influence upon Tang's political awakening? How did this person come to influence Tang to such a degree in a short period of time?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Tang found Diem's government policies intolerable. What was most distressing about Diem from Tang's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)