|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could the significance of the Alliance and the PRG be substantially reenhanced?
2. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
3. What did Article 9 of the Paris Accords call for the creation of?
4. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
5. As long as American strength supported the Saigon government, how did the NLF feel about the idea of total victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
2. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
3. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
4. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
5. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
6. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
7. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
8. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
9. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
10. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why would an open opposition by Vietnam to either China or to the Soviets be hurtful to the emerging nation as far as Tang and the nationalists were concerned? In what ways were the Soviets and the Chinese helpful to Tang's cause?
Essay Topic 2
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
Essay Topic 3
When Tang was abducted by the secret police, he was put into a prison to be tortured. Why was Tang reluctant to admit to the police that he was a communist if it would avoid further torture? What brought Tang to finally admit on paper that he was a communist, when he truly was not? How might this false admission effect Tang's political life in the future?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)