|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tang was arrested in Chapter 10, what was he accused of?
2. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
3. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
4. What did the underground resistance Tang was involved with eventually evolve into?
5. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
2. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
3. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
4. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
5. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
6. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
7. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
8. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
9. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
10. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tang decided to forgo his pharmacy studies and focus instead on political science, his political views began to sway. In which direction did Tang's new studies take him politically? What did Tang come to understand about the relationship between Vietnam and France?
Essay Topic 2
What does the treatment of Tran Buu Kiem and Tran Bach Dang, who made minor blunders in front of Party officials, say about the the COSVN's treatment of leading intellectuals? What was the general tone and spirit of the workers' party at the time of Dang's and Diem's isolation and retirement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tang's life in the Maquis after his exchange. Why is Tang sentimental about his and the other PRG members' time there?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)