|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
2. What is meant by the "Three Kingdoms"?
3. What did Tang do in regards to his pharmaceutical studies in Chapter 3?
4. How did Tang know Albert Pham Ngoc Thao?
5. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
2. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
3. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
4. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
5. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
6. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
7. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
8. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
9. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
10. What physical and mental condition was Tang in while a prisoner at the headquarters prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
Essay Topic 2
What were Tang's family's expectations for the way he should lead his life? What disappointments, if any, were faced by Tang's father as they applied to his son and how did his father react to these disappointments?
Essay Topic 3
What prevented Nguyen Huu Tho from attending the first meeting of the NLF as its newly-elected president? What were the events leading up to the inability to ensure Tho's presence at that meeting?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)