|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT an objective of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
2. How did Tang know Albert Pham Ngoc Thao?
3. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
4. What did Tang's father decide to do when violence began to erupt in Saigon in 1945?
5. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
2. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
3. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
4. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
5. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
6. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
7. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
8. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
9. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
10. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tang's life in the Maquis after his exchange. Why is Tang sentimental about his and the other PRG members' time there?
Essay Topic 2
Saigon's regime, led by Thieu, refuses to abide by an agreement of the Paris Accord signed by his own foreign minister. Explain Thieu's actions following the signing of the Accord. Discuss the PRG's reaction to Thieu's tactics at this time.
Essay Topic 3
Pham Hung and General Trung of Central Office South Vietnam (COSVN), Communist Party headquarters in South Vietnam, joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" after Northern forces retreated from southern Cambodian borders to Kratie. Explain the meaning of this quote as it relates to Vietnamese guerrilla fighters. How can the reader interpret Henry Kissinger's similar statement given in a journal article in 1968?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)