|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
2. What did some local Mytho guerillas do to Albert Thao?
3. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
4. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
5. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
2. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
3. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
4. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
5. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
6. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
7. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
8. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
9. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
10. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What prevented Nguyen Huu Tho from attending the first meeting of the NLF as its newly-elected president? What were the events leading up to the inability to ensure Tho's presence at that meeting?
Essay Topic 2
What instigated Tang's decision to stay in France after completing his academic studies and resigning from the navy? Describe his thought processes on the matter. What interfered with that decision?
Essay Topic 3
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)