|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
2. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
3. Why did Tang's early mobilization committee in Chapter 7 send Nguyen Van Hieu to Hanoi?
4. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
5. What did Tang's father decide to do when violence began to erupt in Saigon in 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
2. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
3. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
4. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
5. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
6. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
7. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
8. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
9. What physical and mental condition was Tang in while a prisoner at the headquarters prison?
10. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Albert Thao's personality. What was his ultimate mission politically, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 17 is titled "1972: The Watershed." Explain why, in Tang's study of that year, he terms it a watershed year. What progress has been made in the right direction that provides a turning point for Tang and the North? Use examples that describe both political, internal and military reasons for the "watershed."
Essay Topic 3
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)