|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang's father ask him in a letter towards the end of 1951?
2. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
3. What was the first job Tang got in France after his parents stopped sending him money?
4. Why did Tang's early mobilization committee in Chapter 7 send Nguyen Van Hieu to Hanoi?
5. What did Tang do when he was drafted by the Bao Dai government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
2. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
3. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
4. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
5. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
6. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
7. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
8. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
9. What physical and mental condition was Tang in while a prisoner at the headquarters prison?
10. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was the main influence upon Tang's political awakening? How did this person come to influence Tang to such a degree in a short period of time?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Tang found Diem's government policies intolerable. What was most distressing about Diem from Tang's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
When Tang was abducted by the secret police, he was put into a prison to be tortured. Why was Tang reluctant to admit to the police that he was a communist if it would avoid further torture? What brought Tang to finally admit on paper that he was a communist, when he truly was not? How might this false admission effect Tang's political life in the future?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)