|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Tang and a fellow pharmacy student, Miss Ly, chosen to have tea with Ho Chi Minh?
2. Who was Thuy Ba?
3. What was the first job Tang got in France after his parents stopped sending him money?
4. What form of torture did Tang endure in Chapter 10, causing great pain to his eyes?
5. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
2. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
3. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
4. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
5. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
6. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
7. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
8. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
9. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
10. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the purpose for the NLF's forming of The Movement for Self-Determination? What did the movement hope to accomplish? Why did the movement choose the members it did?
Essay Topic 2
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 17 is titled "1972: The Watershed." Explain why, in Tang's study of that year, he terms it a watershed year. What progress has been made in the right direction that provides a turning point for Tang and the North? Use examples that describe both political, internal and military reasons for the "watershed."
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)