|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
2. What is meant by the "Three Kingdoms"?
3. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
4. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
5. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
2. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
3. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
4. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
5. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
6. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
7. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
8. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
9. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
10. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pham Hung and General Trung of Central Office South Vietnam (COSVN), Communist Party headquarters in South Vietnam, joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" after Northern forces retreated from southern Cambodian borders to Kratie. Explain the meaning of this quote as it relates to Vietnamese guerrilla fighters. How can the reader interpret Henry Kissinger's similar statement given in a journal article in 1968?
Essay Topic 2
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What was the purpose for the NLF's forming of The Movement for Self-Determination? What did the movement hope to accomplish? Why did the movement choose the members it did?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)