|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
2. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
3. What did the underground resistance Tang was involved with eventually evolve into?
4. Where did the leadership of the North place its focus in the 1966 resolution?
5. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
2. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
3. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
4. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
5. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
6. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
7. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
8. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
9. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
10. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tang was abducted by the secret police, he was put into a prison to be tortured. Why was Tang reluctant to admit to the police that he was a communist if it would avoid further torture? What brought Tang to finally admit on paper that he was a communist, when he truly was not? How might this false admission effect Tang's political life in the future?
Essay Topic 2
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Tang decided to forgo his pharmacy studies and focus instead on political science, his political views began to sway. In which direction did Tang's new studies take him politically? What did Tang come to understand about the relationship between Vietnam and France?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)