|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
2. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
3. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
4. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
5. What was one of the main tenets of Tang's manifesto for the self-determination movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical and mental condition was Tang in while a prisoner at the headquarters prison?
2. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
3. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
4. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
5. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
6. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
7. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
8. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
9. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
10. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 2
What does the treatment of Tran Buu Kiem and Tran Bach Dang, who made minor blunders in front of Party officials, say about the the COSVN's treatment of leading intellectuals? What was the general tone and spirit of the workers' party at the time of Dang's and Diem's isolation and retirement?
Essay Topic 3
Pham Hung and General Trung of Central Office South Vietnam (COSVN), Communist Party headquarters in South Vietnam, joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" after Northern forces retreated from southern Cambodian borders to Kratie. Explain the meaning of this quote as it relates to Vietnamese guerrilla fighters. How can the reader interpret Henry Kissinger's similar statement given in a journal article in 1968?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)