|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
2. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
3. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
4. Which of the following was NOT an objective of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
5. What did Tang's father decide to do when violence began to erupt in Saigon in 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
2. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
3. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
4. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
5. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
6. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
7. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
8. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
9. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
10. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Albert Thao's personality. What was his ultimate mission politically, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Many of those who joined the Alliance of National, Democratic and Peace Forces at its founding had been resistant for years to formally joining such organizations.
Why had these people (most of whom were old friends of Tang) resisted associating themselves politically, regardless of their sympathies for the goals of the NLF? What made them finally decide to take action by 1968?
Essay Topic 3
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)