|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
2. What was Chi Hoa?
3. What occurred on November 11, 1960?
4. Who did Albert Thao's family get to protect him from harm?
5. What did Tang do in regards to his pharmaceutical studies in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
2. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
3. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
4. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
5. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
6. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
7. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
8. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
9. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
10. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the treatment of Tran Buu Kiem and Tran Bach Dang, who made minor blunders in front of Party officials, say about the the COSVN's treatment of leading intellectuals? What was the general tone and spirit of the workers' party at the time of Dang's and Diem's isolation and retirement?
Essay Topic 2
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 3
The Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) was formed in response to Nixon's Vietnamization strategies. Explain the domestic, international and diplomatic goals of the PRG.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)