|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
2. Where was Tang first subjected to racial prejudice?
3. What was Diem preoccupied with throughout his regime?
4. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
5. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
2. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
3. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
4. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
5. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
6. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
7. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
8. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
9. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
10. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Tang's family's expectations for the way he should lead his life? What disappointments, if any, were faced by Tang's father as they applied to his son and how did his father react to these disappointments?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Tang found Diem's government policies intolerable. What was most distressing about Diem from Tang's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)