|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
2. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
3. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
4. What form of torture did Tang endure in Chapter 10, causing great pain to his eyes?
5. What did Tang's father decide to do when violence began to erupt in Saigon in 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
2. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
3. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
4. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
5. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
6. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
7. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
8. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
9. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
10. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 2
Saigon's regime, led by Thieu, refuses to abide by an agreement of the Paris Accord signed by his own foreign minister. Explain Thieu's actions following the signing of the Accord. Discuss the PRG's reaction to Thieu's tactics at this time.
Essay Topic 3
What prevented Nguyen Huu Tho from attending the first meeting of the NLF as its newly-elected president? What were the events leading up to the inability to ensure Tho's presence at that meeting?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)