|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang's grandfather teach his clan each Sunday?
2. What punishment did the tribunal bestow upon Tang, besides prison, that may have interfered deeply with Tang's credibility within Vietnamese society?
3. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
4. In Chapter 3, what did Tang become more and more involved with in Paris?
5. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
2. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
3. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
4. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
5. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
6. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
7. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
8. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
9. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
10. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Albert Thao's personality. What was his ultimate mission politically, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
Essay Topic 3
What prevented Nguyen Huu Tho from attending the first meeting of the NLF as its newly-elected president? What were the events leading up to the inability to ensure Tho's presence at that meeting?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)