|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Tang's father allow his sons to interact with outside of the home?
2. What did some local Mytho guerillas do to Albert Thao?
3. What event pushed aside Tang's trepidations concerning military action against Diem?
4. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
5. What did Tang's father threaten to do in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
2. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
3. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
4. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
5. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
6. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
7. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
8. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
9. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
10. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might the events Tang endures during his flight from Vietnam on a river boat reflect his struggles throughout the book? Use specific details in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Who was the main influence upon Tang's political awakening? How did this person come to influence Tang to such a degree in a short period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)