|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
2. What was the best-known Ho Chi Minh slogan?
3. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
4. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
5. What did Tang do when he was drafted by the Bao Dai government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
2. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
3. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
4. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
5. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
6. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
7. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
8. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
9. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
10. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why would an open opposition by Vietnam to either China or to the Soviets be hurtful to the emerging nation as far as Tang and the nationalists were concerned? In what ways were the Soviets and the Chinese helpful to Tang's cause?
Essay Topic 2
Saigon's regime, led by Thieu, refuses to abide by an agreement of the Paris Accord signed by his own foreign minister. Explain Thieu's actions following the signing of the Accord. Discuss the PRG's reaction to Thieu's tactics at this time.
Essay Topic 3
Express an opinion as to whether Tang's and his fellow nationalists' struggles had been in vain. Support your opinion with facts and feelings expressed within the book.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)