|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
2. What were Agrovilles?
3. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
4. What did Tang's wife ultimately do about her marriage in Chapter 3?
5. What was Chi Hoa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
2. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
3. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
4. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
5. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
6. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
7. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
8. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
9. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
10. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Albert Thao's personality. What was his ultimate mission politically, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why would an open opposition by Vietnam to either China or to the Soviets be hurtful to the emerging nation as far as Tang and the nationalists were concerned? In what ways were the Soviets and the Chinese helpful to Tang's cause?
Essay Topic 3
Albert Thao was a childhood friend of Tang's who became a spy within Diem's government. What induced Albert to become a spy, a dangerous mission for a young man? How did Tang view his friend's involvement in Diem's government, without being told that his friend was a double agent?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)