|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
(a) He resigned his position.
(b) He had Sau Ha, Dang's deputy, arrested.
(c) He was in favor of the program and promoted it.
(d) He told the Americans to pull out of his country.
2. The moment Tang or any of his brothers displayed a weakness in any school subject, what did Tang's father do?
(a) Teach them himself.
(b) Employ a tutor.
(c) Punish them.
(d) Restrict their activities.
3. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
(a) He reacquainted himself with Ho Chi Minh.
(b) He joined the national navy.
(c) He showed up for active duty.
(d) He escaped to England.
4. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
(a) Fighting and talking, talking and fighting.
(b) Freedom and slavery, slavery and freedom.
(c) Warfare and peace, peace and warfare.
(d) Invasion and power, power and invasion.
5. Who did Bao Dai name as Prime Minister?
(a) Chau Van Tiep.
(b) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(c) Vo Nguyen Giap.
(d) Zhou En-Lai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
2. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
3. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
4. When Tang was arrested in Chapter 10, what was he accused of?
5. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
2. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
3. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
4. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
5. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
6. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
7. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
8. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
9. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
10. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)