|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
(a) To the airport.
(b) Police headquarters.
(c) A restaurant in Saigon.
(d) To Hanoi.
2. What did Tang's wife ultimately do about her marriage in Chapter 3?
(a) She stayed married to Tang through letters.
(b) She commited suicide.
(c) She returned to Tang and had her child.
(d) She left the marriage to obey her father.
3. What was Chi Hoa?
(a) Tang's wife's name.
(b) Tang's sugar company.
(c) A political meeting place.
(d) A prison.
4. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
(a) He changed his political views completely.
(b) He was able to bribe imporant officials.
(c) He trusted no one.
(d) He was thought of as a repentant former communist by a priest.
5. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
(a) She stayed with her husband in France.
(b) She returned home alone.
(c) She persuaded Tang to return home with her.
(d) She aborted her baby and stayed in France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
2. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
3. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
4. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
5. What event pushed aside Tang's trepidations concerning military action against Diem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
2. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
3. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
4. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
5. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
6. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
7. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
8. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
9. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
10. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)