|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup in Chapter 6?
(a) They were able to subdue the coup and retake control.
(b) They were imprisoned in Saigon.
(c) They were killed outside a church.
(d) They begged for their lives inside the Palace.
2. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) The Fourth Republic.
(b) The Tet Offensive.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) Vietnamese independence.
3. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
(a) General Khanh's rebellion.
(b) The NLF.
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
(d) The army rebellion led by Van Don.
4. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
5. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
(a) He was sent to America as a diplomat.
(b) He was arrested.
(c) He left the NLF for good.
(d) He refused to let Thao take refuge with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
2. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
3. What did Tang do in regards to his pharmaceutical studies in Chapter 3?
4. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
5. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
2. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
3. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
4. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
5. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
6. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
7. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
8. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
9. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
10. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)