|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT an objective of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
(a) Bring in American advisers to help with the movement's actions.
(b) Overthrow the Diem regime.
(c) Bring unity to the different classes of people in the South.
(d) Build an independent economy.
2. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
(a) To threaten him with violence.
(b) To persuade Tang to return home immediately.
(c) To give him grandchildren quickly.
(d) So Tang and she can marry.
3. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
(a) A sign of peace for the South.
(b) The flag of the Vietcong.
(c) A flag used on Diem's coffin.
(d) The flag that anti-Vietnam War demonstrators in America displayed.
4. What was Chi Hoa?
(a) Tang's sugar company.
(b) A prison.
(c) Tang's wife's name.
(d) A political meeting place.
5. What punishment did the tribunal bestow upon Tang, besides prison, that may have interfered deeply with Tang's credibility within Vietnamese society?
(a) A hefty monetary fine.
(b) A newspaper editorial.
(c) Suspension from his job.
(d) His driver's license was revoked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Ngo Dinh Nhu?
2. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
3. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
4. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
5. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
2. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
3. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
4. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
5. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
6. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
7. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
8. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
9. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
10. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)