|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Thuy Ba?
(a) A Communist Party leader.
(b) The woman who would become Tang's third wife.
(c) Ho Chi Minh's wife.
(d) The doctor who oversaw Tang's care after he was exchanged as a prisoner.
2. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
(a) The French were helping Vietnam to develop the country.
(b) France had always been Vietnam's ally.
(c) The French and the Chinese were fighting the Vietnamese.
(d) France had used Vietnam as a slave state.
3. Who did Tang's wife end up bribing in order to get Tang transferred to the national police headquarters?
(a) The butcher.
(b) Ba Tra.
(d) Prime Minister Quat.
4. What role did the leading figure of the Committee to Defend the Peace, Dr. Pham Van Huyen, play in Diem's government in 1954?
(a) Chief judicial adviser.
(b) Professor of historical societies.
(c) Comissioner of refugees.
(d) Head of state.
5. When Tang was in solitary confinement in the national police headquarters, what saved him from lapsing into permanent catatonia?
(a) The books he was given to read.
(b) The prison grapevine.
(c) The twice-daily meals.
(d) The end of torture.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
2. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
3. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
4. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
5. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
2. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
3. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
4. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
5. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
6. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
7. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
8. What physical and mental condition was Tang in while a prisoner at the headquarters prison?
9. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
10. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)