|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
2. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
(a) He did not have to work very hard.
(b) He would plan a coup in this way.
(c) He developed relationships with prominent military figures.
(d) He was able to spy on anyone he pleased.
3. What is meant by the "Three Kingdoms"?
(a) The main Vietnamese religion.
(b) A Vietnamese moral tale.
(c) The story behind the founding of the NLF.
(d) A respectful way to end the war.
4. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
(a) Fighting and talking, talking and fighting.
(b) Invasion and power, power and invasion.
(c) Warfare and peace, peace and warfare.
(d) Freedom and slavery, slavery and freedom.
5. Who was Thuy Ba?
(a) The woman who would become Tang's third wife.
(b) A Communist Party leader.
(c) The doctor who oversaw Tang's care after he was exchanged as a prisoner.
(d) Ho Chi Minh's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
2. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
3. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
4. What did Tang do when he was drafted by the Bao Dai government?
5. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
2. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
3. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
4. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
5. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
6. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
7. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
8. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
9. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
10. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)