|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
(a) The French were helping Vietnam to develop the country.
(b) France had used Vietnam as a slave state.
(c) The French and the Chinese were fighting the Vietnamese.
(d) France had always been Vietnam's ally.
2. What did the underground resistance Tang was involved with eventually evolve into?
(a) The North Vietnamese Army.
(b) The Demilitarized Zone.
(c) The Provisional Revolutionary Government.
(d) The National Liberation Front.
3. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
(a) He was able to spy on anyone he pleased.
(b) He did not have to work very hard.
(c) He would plan a coup in this way.
(d) He developed relationships with prominent military figures.
4. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
(a) Head Accountant.
(b) Chief Opearting Officer.
(c) Director General.
(d) Public Relations Manager.
5. In Chapter 3, what did Tang become more and more involved with in Paris?
(a) His pharmacy studies.
(b) British culture.
(c) His fiance from Vietnam.
(d) Agitation against the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
2. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
3. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
4. What did Tang do in regards to his pharmaceutical studies in Chapter 3?
5. Where was Tang first subjected to racial prejudice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it that Diem did not have the loyalty of his subjects, the South Vietnamese people?
2. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
3. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
4. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
5. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
6. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
7. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
8. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
9. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
10. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)