|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
2. What punishment did the tribunal bestow upon Tang, besides prison, that may have interfered deeply with Tang's credibility within Vietnamese society?
(a) A hefty monetary fine.
(b) His driver's license was revoked.
(c) A newspaper editorial.
(d) Suspension from his job.
3. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
(a) He was able to bribe imporant officials.
(b) He was thought of as a repentant former communist by a priest.
(c) He changed his political views completely.
(d) He trusted no one.
4. What role did the leading figure of the Committee to Defend the Peace, Dr. Pham Van Huyen, play in Diem's government in 1954?
(a) Head of state.
(b) Professor of historical societies.
(c) Chief judicial adviser.
(d) Comissioner of refugees.
5. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
(a) They were celebrating the Tet Mau Than, the lunar new year.
(b) The food had run out.
(c) There was an army attack on the headquarters.
(d) The men were rioting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Tang's wife allowed to visit Tang when he was imprisoned by the secret police and tortured?
2. Where was Tang first subjected to racial prejudice?
3. Who was Thuy Ba?
4. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
5. What did Tang's grandfather teach his clan each Sunday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
2. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
3. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
4. Why was the organizing congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) held on June 6, 7 and 8, 1969?
5. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
6. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
7. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
8. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
9. Why did the imminent signing of a negotiation agreement in Paris fill Tang and the nationalist forces with hope and excitement?
10. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)