|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
(a) Public Relations Manager.
(b) Director General.
(c) Head Accountant.
(d) Chief Opearting Officer.
2. When Tang was arrested in Chapter 10, what was he accused of?
(a) Conspiring to assassinate the president.
(b) Being head of the NLF.
(c) Being a Communist Party member.
(d) Being too wealthly.
3. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) Soapy water.
(b) Hot peppers.
(c) Strong vodka.
(d) A mild acid.
4. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) The French.
(b) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
(c) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
(d) The tribespeople from the mountains.
5. What form of torture did Tang endure in Chapter 10, causing great pain to his eyes?
(a) Constant head bashing.
(b) Bright lights directed into his face.
(c) Needles near his eyes.
(d) Electric shock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tang's early mobilization committee in Chapter 7 send Nguyen Van Hieu to Hanoi?
2. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
3. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
4. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup in Chapter 6?
5. What is COSVN which is described in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
2. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
3. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
4. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
5. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
6. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
7. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
8. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
9. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
10. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)