|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Tang and a fellow pharmacy student, Miss Ly, chosen to have tea with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) They were from the south.
(b) They were the brightest students.
(c) He saw them as future leaders.
(d) He chose them at random.
2. How did Tang know Albert Pham Ngoc Thao?
(a) As a good friend at the lycee.
(b) From his meeting with Ho Chi Minh.
(c) From his days in Paris.
(d) From Ben Tre Province.
3. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
4. What was Diem preoccupied with throughout his regime?
(a) His brother's welfare.
(b) The farmers and villages.
(c) Internal disloyalty.
5. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
(a) He joined the national navy.
(b) He showed up for active duty.
(c) He reacquainted himself with Ho Chi Minh.
(d) He escaped to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
2. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
3. What job did Tang take at the end of Chapter 5?
4. Who was Ngo Dinh Nhu?
5. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
2. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
3. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
4. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
5. How did the NLF become dominated by the Communist Party and the Northern government?
6. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
7. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
8. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
9. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
10. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)