Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
(a) France had used Vietnam as a slave state.
(b) The French and the Chinese were fighting the Vietnamese.
(c) The French were helping Vietnam to develop the country.
(d) France had always been Vietnam's ally.
2. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
(a) To gain control of the guerrilla troops.
(b) To relocate populations into more modern, better housing for their own good.
(c) To make the tribespeople more accessible to government control.
(d) Diem wanted the villagers to recognize his power.
3. Who did Tang's wife end up bribing in order to get Tang transferred to the national police headquarters?
(a) The butcher.
(c) Ba Tra.
(d) Prime Minister Quat.
4. When Tang was in solitary confinement in the national police headquarters, what saved him from lapsing into permanent catatonia?
(a) The prison grapevine.
(b) The books he was given to read.
(c) The twice-daily meals.
(d) The end of torture.
5. Where was Nguyen Huu Tho when Phat's men attempted to liberate him from prison?
(a) Inside the prison house, waiting for them.
(b) Standing near the front entrance.
(c) He had been executed already.
(d) Having a private visit with his family in a government compound.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
2. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
3. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
4. What did the underground resistance Tang was involved with eventually evolve into?
5. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What access to information did the leaders of the PRG have in the Maquis?
2. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
3. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
4. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
5. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
6. What did Nguyen Van Thieu make clear immediately upon Tran Van Lam's signing of the Paris accords?
7. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
8. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
9. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
10. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)