|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
(a) Young People's Association of South Vietnam.
(b) The Youth Movement.
(c) The Vanguard Youth.
(d) Ho Chi Minh's Youth.
2. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
3. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
(a) A communist manifesto.
(b) A history of South Vietnam.
(c) A novel based on Vietnamese struggles.
(d) A French-Vietnamese dictionary.
4. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
(a) To gain control of the guerrilla troops.
(b) To relocate populations into more modern, better housing for their own good.
(c) Diem wanted the villagers to recognize his power.
(d) To make the tribespeople more accessible to government control.
5. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
(a) She persuaded Tang to return home with her.
(b) She aborted her baby and stayed in France.
(c) She returned home alone.
(d) She stayed with her husband in France.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
2. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
3. When Tang was arrested in Chapter 10, what was he accused of?
4. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
5. What did Tang do when he was drafted by the Bao Dai government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
2. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
3. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
4. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
5. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
6. What compromise was reached for Vietnam in May of 1954?
7. Why did the imminent signing of a negotiation agreement in Paris fill Tang and the nationalist forces with hope and excitement?
8. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
9. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
10. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)