|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
2. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
(a) The national sugar company.
(b) The Saigon government.
(c) The self-determination movement.
(d) The NLF.
3. How did Tang know Albert Pham Ngoc Thao?
(a) From his meeting with Ho Chi Minh.
(b) From his days in Paris.
(c) From Ben Tre Province.
(d) As a good friend at the lycee.
4. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
(a) Michael Van Vi.
(b) Tran Kim Quan.
(c) Nguyen Huu Tho.
(d) Trinh Dinh Thao.
5. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
(a) A sign of peace for the South.
(b) The flag of the Vietcong.
(c) A flag used on Diem's coffin.
(d) The flag that anti-Vietnam War demonstrators in America displayed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
2. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
3. What is meant by the "Three Kingdoms"?
4. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
5. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
2. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
3. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
4. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
5. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
6. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
7. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
8. What did Tang's father tell him in an unexpected letter in 1951?
9. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
10. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)