|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT an objective of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
(a) Build an independent economy.
(b) Bring unity to the different classes of people in the South.
(c) Overthrow the Diem regime.
(d) Bring in American advisers to help with the movement's actions.
2. What was the official name of the Vietnamese Communist Party?
(a) National Liberation Front.
(b) To Cong.
(c) Lao Dong.
(d) Tran Buu.
3. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
(a) He changed his political views completely.
(b) He was thought of as a repentant former communist by a priest.
(c) He trusted no one.
(d) He was able to bribe imporant officials.
4. How did Ho Chi Minh ask Tang and his fellow students to refer to him?
(a) As Mr. President.
(b) As Sir.
(c) As Uncle Ho.
(d) As Mr. Minh.
5. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the NLF Committee meet in 1961 during Tet?
2. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
3. What was Chi Hoa?
4. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
5. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
2. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
3. What physical and mental condition was Tang in while a prisoner at the headquarters prison?
4. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
5. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
6. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
7. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
8. What was it about Ba Tra, one of Tang's support personnel in the Young People's Association, that disturbed Tang?
9. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
10. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)