|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of torture did Tang endure in Chapter 10, causing great pain to his eyes?
(a) Needles near his eyes.
(b) Constant head bashing.
(c) Electric shock.
(d) Bright lights directed into his face.
2. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
3. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
(a) A French-Vietnamese dictionary.
(b) A history of South Vietnam.
(c) A communist manifesto.
(d) A novel based on Vietnamese struggles.
4. What job did Tang take at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Chief Comptroller for the Industry and Commerce Bank of Vietnam.
(b) Commissioner of Naval Supplies in Toulon.
(c) Head of the Revolutionary Committee.
(d) Law Professor at Saigon University.
5. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
(a) He was inappropriately dressed for the occasion.
(b) He was dignified and strong.
(c) He blended in with the other dignitaries.
(d) He was weak and sickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
2. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
3. What was Diem preoccupied with throughout his regime?
4. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
5. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
2. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
3. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
4. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
5. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
6. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
7. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
8. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
9. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
10. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)