|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup in Chapter 6?
(a) They begged for their lives inside the Palace.
(b) They were imprisoned in Saigon.
(c) They were able to subdue the coup and retake control.
(d) They were killed outside a church.
2. Why did Tang's early mobilization committee in Chapter 7 send Nguyen Van Hieu to Hanoi?
(a) To plan a mass emigration to America.
(b) To discuss assassination plans for Diem.
(c) To rid themselves of Hieu.
(d) To gain support from their Northern compatriots.
3. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
(a) Everyone was destined for execution.
(b) The Americans were trading prisoners of Chinese ethnicity.
(c) The northern army was close to winning the war.
(d) Madame Dang's disappearance and two prisoner executions.
4. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
(a) A flag used on Diem's coffin.
(b) The flag of the Vietcong.
(c) A sign of peace for the South.
(d) The flag that anti-Vietnam War demonstrators in America displayed.
5. What was one of the main tenets of Tang's manifesto for the self-determination movement?
(a) People living in villages would move to the mountains.
(b) America should not intervene in Vietnam.
(c) Henry Cabot Lodge should resign from office.
(d) Ho Chi Minh would be allowed to lead North and South Vietnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tang know Albert Pham Ngoc Thao?
2. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
3. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
4. Why were Tang and a fellow pharmacy student, Miss Ly, chosen to have tea with Ho Chi Minh?
5. Who did Tang's wife end up bribing in order to get Tang transferred to the national police headquarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
2. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
3. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
4. What brought Tang's father and father-in-law to demand that Tang's wife return home to Vietnam?
5. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
6. What impressed Tang so much when he discovered what Ho Chi Minh was through while he met with Tang and a fellow student for tea?
7. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
8. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
9. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
10. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)