|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Tang and a fellow pharmacy student, Miss Ly, chosen to have tea with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) He chose them at random.
(b) They were the brightest students.
(c) They were from the south.
(d) He saw them as future leaders.
2. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
(a) A nuclear bomb attack was anticipated.
(b) Chances for a peaceful, negotiated settlement would vanish.
(c) They had no firearms for a counterattack.
(d) The Chinese would then become involved.
3. Who was Tao Thao?
(a) A legendary king in China.
(b) An enemy of the alliance.
(c) A North Vietnamese general.
(d) A refugee from the South.
4. The moment Tang or any of his brothers displayed a weakness in any school subject, what did Tang's father do?
(a) Restrict their activities.
(b) Punish them.
(c) Teach them himself.
(d) Employ a tutor.
5. Who was Thuy Ba?
(a) A Communist Party leader.
(b) The doctor who oversaw Tang's care after he was exchanged as a prisoner.
(c) The woman who would become Tang's third wife.
(d) Ho Chi Minh's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Tang first subjected to racial prejudice?
2. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
3. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
4. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
5. What were Agrovilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Air Marshal Ky and his partner, Nguyen Van Thieu, make an attempt to disrupt Americans meeting with Dang's deputy, a cadre named Sau Ha?
2. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
3. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
4. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
5. How did Tang's friend, Albert Thao, come to be closely involved with Ngo Dinh Diem?
6. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
7. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
8. Why did Albert Thao end up staying with Tang for three days in Chapter 6?
9. How did Tang first experience racial discrimination?
10. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)