|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Tang and a fellow pharmacy student, Miss Ly, chosen to have tea with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) They were from the south.
(b) They were the brightest students.
(c) He chose them at random.
(d) He saw them as future leaders.
2. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
(a) The Neighborhood Contingent.
(b) The Vanguard Youth.
(c) The Alliance.
(d) Ho Chi Minh's Men.
3. What were Agrovilles?
(a) A government project of self-contained villages.
(b) A method of increasing revenue for farmers.
(c) A capitalistic branch of society.
(d) Villages in which to house captured enemies.
4. What event pushed aside Tang's trepidations concerning military action against Diem?
(a) The northern government announced its readiness to act to liberate the south.
(b) The Americans decided to discontinue their relationship with Diem.
(c) Tang believed a military victory could be possible.
(d) Politcal action would be enough to push Diem aside.
5. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
(a) He would plan a coup in this way.
(b) He developed relationships with prominent military figures.
(c) He was able to spy on anyone he pleased.
(d) He did not have to work very hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
2. How did Tang know Albert Pham Ngoc Thao?
3. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 3, what did Tang become more and more involved with in Paris?
5. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
2. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
3. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
4. Within three years of Diem's presidency, what was apparent about the leader concerning his political endeavors?
5. Why was it that President-Designate Tho was unable to be liberated from detention in Tuy Hoa?
6. What were defined as the broad objectives of the mobilization committee for the peace movement?
7. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
8. Why was Tang needed back home in 1955 more than ever in Chapter 4?
9. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
10. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)