|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of torture did Tang endure in Chapter 10, causing great pain to his eyes?
(a) Electric shock.
(b) Constant head bashing.
(c) Needles near his eyes.
(d) Bright lights directed into his face.
2. Why were Tang and a fellow pharmacy student, Miss Ly, chosen to have tea with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) He saw them as future leaders.
(b) They were from the south.
(c) He chose them at random.
(d) They were the brightest students.
3. Who did Albert Thao's family get to protect him from harm?
(a) Vinh Long.
(b) Bishop Thuc.
(d) Tang's family.
4. What prevented Tang from attending the First National Congress in 1962?
(a) He had an ulcer crisis.
(b) His connections were gone and he could not get there.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) There were no black pajamas available for him.
5. Where did President Thao lead the alliance delegation in the spring of 1969?
(a) To the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(b) A meeting with President Johnson.
(c) A visit to Hanoi.
(d) A skirmish with the secret police in Saigon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
2. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
3. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
4. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
5. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tang come to be made chief of his neighborhood contingent of the Vanguard Youth?
2. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
3. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
4. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
5. What was the main goal of the movement for self-determination?
6. Why did Tang decide to join the national navy upon receiving another draft notice in Chapter 4?
7. What kind of secrecy was involved in the first meeting of the NLF?
8. Who helped Tang's father raise Tang and his five brothers?
9. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
10. Why did Tang's father decide each of his sons' careers for them?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)