|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
(a) She aborted her baby and stayed in France.
(b) She stayed with her husband in France.
(c) She persuaded Tang to return home with her.
(d) She returned home alone.
2. Where did President Thao lead the alliance delegation in the spring of 1969?
(a) To the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(b) A meeting with President Johnson.
(c) A skirmish with the secret police in Saigon.
(d) A visit to Hanoi.
3. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
(a) Disgustingly dirty.
(b) Quite bearable.
4. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
(a) Albert Thao became its province chief.
(b) The Vietcong could not infiltrate the area.
(c) Villages were set up there to control the people.
(d) Diem bombed the area.
5. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
(a) Le Duc Tho's brother.
(b) Albert Tho.
(c) Tang's wife.
(d) Lien's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
2. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
3. Who was Tao Thao?
4. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
5. What was one of the main tenets of Tang's manifesto for the self-determination movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tang confused when he received a letter from his father in Chapter 3?
2. Why did the South Vietnamese secret police want to get prisoners to admit to being members of the Communist Party?
3. When was it decided by the newly appointed NLF Provisional Committee to establish a committee for the Saigon/Cholon/Giadinh zone?
4. Why was it that the National Liberation Front was not anxious to see President Diem overthrown?
5. Why was Ho Chi Minh's welcoming visit to the members of the alliance in Hanoi so important to them?
6. How did the platform of the alliance differ from that of the NLF?
7. What was Tang's reaction upon meeting Ho Chi Minh?
8. Why did Tang and his associates want to keep the American military from becoming involved in the Vietnamese conflict?
9. What were Tang's feelings toward America when he returned to Saigon in 1955?
10. What was Tang's main goal during his early leadership of the Young People's Association?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)