|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
(a) "A standard army wins if it does not lose."
(b) "Winning is only half the battle."
(c) "Even though we run like hell, we'll still win."
(d) "Guerrillas win if they don't lose."
2. How did Tran Back Dang get himself in trouble with the COSVN in Chapter 19?
(a) He lightly said the workers' movement was worse than bad.
(b) He was taking matters into his own hands too much.
(c) He allowed his regional loyalties to interfere with his Party duties.
(d) He made a speech vilifying the Party.
3. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
(a) They missed their family.
(b) To plan an escape.
(c) They were bored in the country.
(d) The revoluionaries were in the city.
4. What did Tang do at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria to insult the Soviets?
(a) Denounced the Soviets stance in a speech.
(b) Refused to shake hands with the Soviet delegate to the conference.
(c) Walked away from a statement made by the Soviet delegate.
(d) Made a rude comment to a Soviet delegate and tried to retract it.
5. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
(a) A province near Saigon, Phuoc Long, had fallen.
(b) President Thieu had been deposed.
(c) The troops in Saigon were filled with depression.
(d) Saigon had fallen.
6. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
(a) His father had died.
(b) His mother was ill.
(c) His brother, Quynh, was in the United States.
(d) The police had arrested his wife.
7. Why was the main goal of the Northern forces in 1972 to get the U.S. out of Vietnam?
(a) To isolate the Thieu regime, bringing domestic opposition to them.
(b) To stimulate Vietnam's economy.
(c) To stop the heavy hits of the B-52 bombs.
(d) To show the world that America was oppressive.
8. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
(a) The Watergate scandal.
(b) Anti-Vietnam war demonstrations.
(c) The re-election of Nixon.
(d) A book written by Henry Kissinger.
9. Why did Tang accept an appointment as director of the National Rubber Industry in Chapter 24?
(a) He needed to work for money.
(b) Because it made an excellent cover for him.
(c) He was bored and wanted prestige.
(d) His wife insisted he take the job.
10. What effect did America's invasion into Cambodia have on the NLF?
(a) A renewed spirit to fight the enemy.
(b) It had no effect.
(c) Acute physical and emotional hardship.
(d) They gained the support of Cambodians.
11. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
(a) Three hundred.
(d) Three hundred thousand.
12. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
(a) Cabinet Secretary.
(b) Minister of Justice.
(c) Minister of the Interior.
(d) Foreign Minister.
13. As long as American strength supported the Saigon government, how did the NLF feel about the idea of total victory?
(a) Determined to win.
(c) Wistful and vague.
(d) A soon-to-be-accomplished goal.
14. What was the PRG opposed to?
(a) Including people from Central Vietnam in their group.
(b) Revolutionary justice as performed in Hue.
(c) Being linked to Hanoi.
(d) Troop withdrawals by Nixon.
15. The taking of Saigon by Northern forces hinged upon the fall of which centrally located city?
(b) Ban Me Thuot.
(c) Phuoc Long.
(d) Da Nang.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was an advisory Council of Elders formed during the Provisional Revolutionary Government's (PRG) congress?
2. What was Ba Cap's personality like?
3. What did Tang's host want most to know from Tang during his visit to Budapest ?
4. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
5. Where did the NLF establish a new headquarters after America's Cambodian attack?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)