|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Tang's brothers, Quynh and Bich, sent on June 16, 1975?
(a) To a Soviet camp.
(b) To Hanoi.
(c) To Saigon General Hospital.
(d) To their own reeducation points.
2. What did Tang do at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria to insult the Soviets?
(a) Walked away from a statement made by the Soviet delegate.
(b) Made a rude comment to a Soviet delegate and tried to retract it.
(c) Denounced the Soviets stance in a speech.
(d) Refused to shake hands with the Soviet delegate to the conference.
3. What was the PRG opposed to?
(a) Revolutionary justice as performed in Hue.
(b) Including people from Central Vietnam in their group.
(c) Troop withdrawals by Nixon.
(d) Being linked to Hanoi.
4. Who was the only professional sailor on board the boat Tang and his wife escaped on?
(a) Ton's cousin.
(d) There was none.
5. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
(a) He refuses, voicing his objections to the government's stances.
(b) He declines, saying he is ill.
(c) He accepts and hopes to change the government from within.
(d) He accepts but never shows up to duty.
6. Why was an advisory Council of Elders formed during the Provisional Revolutionary Government's (PRG) congress?
(a) To appease the older members.
(b) As an antidote to propaganda.
(c) To reconcile tradition with revolution.
(d) As an afterthought with little meaning.
7. What were "elephant's intestines?"
(a) Poisonous snakes.
(b) Moneys cooked in a pot.
(c) Long tubes of rolled cotton.
(d) The belts on the guerrillas' pajamas.
8. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
(a) Continue to live in seclusion.
(b) Join the government.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Join an underground revolution.
9. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
(a) Held a dinner in honor of the PRG.
(b) Kept their distance from the PRG.
(c) Offered Tang a huge loan for the country.
(d) Refused to meet with any Vietnamese parties.
10. What did Tang hope to obtain upon his trip as part of the PRG's delegation at Algiers' independence celebration?
(a) Help with Mme. Binh's world tour.
(b) Material aid for a propaganda campaign.
(c) Juridicial reforms in Algeria.
(d) Support for the Khmer resistance.
11. Why did the PRG believe that having Tang's brothers working for the South Vietnamese government might help their cause?
(a) Family ties in the government gave the public reassurance about Tang.
(b) A brother's family could be held hostage in the future.
(c) Tang could be viewed as a double agent.
(d) One of the brothers could become a spy.
12. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
(a) A province near Saigon, Phuoc Long, had fallen.
(b) President Thieu had been deposed.
(c) Saigon had fallen.
(d) The troops in Saigon were filled with depression.
13. What effect did America's invasion into Cambodia have on the NLF?
(a) It had no effect.
(b) Acute physical and emotional hardship.
(c) They gained the support of Cambodians.
(d) A renewed spirit to fight the enemy.
14. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
(a) The Watergate scandal.
(b) A book written by Henry Kissinger.
(c) The re-election of Nixon.
(d) Anti-Vietnam war demonstrations.
15. How could the significance of the Alliance and the PRG be substantially reenhanced?
(a) If a decisive military outcome is reached.
(b) If the ARVN wins the war.
(c) In the event of a political compromise.
(d) If the Alliance and the PRG overtake the COSVN.
Short Answer Questions
1. As long as American strength supported the Saigon government, how did the NLF feel about the idea of total victory?
2. Who was the American Ambassador trying to arrange the appearance of a real election in Saigon in Chapter 17?
3. What did Tang do for his brother, Bich, in Chapter 22?
4. On the day of celebration at Independence Palace Square to celebrate the Vietnamese victory at last, which military units were the last to appear in the parade?
5. What did Tang's host want most to know from Tang during his visit to Budapest ?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)