|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tang accept an appointment as director of the National Rubber Industry in Chapter 24?
(a) His wife insisted he take the job.
(b) He needed to work for money.
(c) He was bored and wanted prestige.
(d) Because it made an excellent cover for him.
2. What was Ba Cap's personality like?
(a) Abrasive and vociferous.
(b) Quiet and studious.
(c) Well-liked and personable.
(d) Good-tempered and funny.
3. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
(a) Transportation was non-existant.
(b) The original paths had grown dense with jungle foilage.
(c) The dirt paths were unchanged from years past.
(d) The route had become a system of two-lane roads.
4. What did Tang consider to be the "fourth front" for the NLF's cause?
(a) Thieu's government.
(b) The Paris peace talks.
(c) The drug wars in Cambodia.
(d) Public opinion in the United States.
5. What was the reason behind the National Council of National Reconciliation and Concord as described in Article 9 of the Paris Accords?
(a) To isolate Thieu.
(b) To have Thieu retreat from dismantling his government.
(c) To engage Vietnam's military operatives.
(d) To resolve Vietnam's domestic problems through political means.
6. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Human Liberation for the People."
(b) "Fighting and Talking."
(c) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(d) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
7. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
(a) He refuses, voicing his objections to the government's stances.
(b) He declines, saying he is ill.
(c) He accepts and hopes to change the government from within.
(d) He accepts but never shows up to duty.
8. Who was the only professional sailor on board the boat Tang and his wife escaped on?
(b) There was none.
(c) Ton's cousin.
9. What was the most popular weaponry used in the Front?
(a) Chinese AK-47 rifles.
(b) M-16 rifles.
(c) Grenades and mines.
10. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
(a) Only 1.
(b) About 10.
(c) Nearly 20.
(d) 15 or more.
11. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
(a) A book written by Henry Kissinger.
(b) Anti-Vietnam war demonstrations.
(c) The Watergate scandal.
(d) The re-election of Nixon.
12. How could the significance of the Alliance and the PRG be substantially reenhanced?
(a) If the ARVN wins the war.
(b) If a decisive military outcome is reached.
(c) If the Alliance and the PRG overtake the COSVN.
(d) In the event of a political compromise.
13. What did Tang do for his brother, Bich, in Chapter 22?
(a) He had him released from detention.
(b) He got him a position in the politburo.
(c) He tried to get him released from detention but failed.
(d) He wrote letters to him, giving him advice.
14. What did Tang do at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria to insult the Soviets?
(a) Refused to shake hands with the Soviet delegate to the conference.
(b) Denounced the Soviets stance in a speech.
(c) Walked away from a statement made by the Soviet delegate.
(d) Made a rude comment to a Soviet delegate and tried to retract it.
15. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
(a) President Tho.
(b) His brother, Quynh.
(c) President Thieu's wife.
(d) Ho Chi Minh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were both Nixon and Kissinger unable to formulate policies that would frustrate the strategies of the North?
2. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
3. What break came to Tang and his wife via his wife's brother-in-law?
4. Why were the various sites for the PRG ministries chosen to be deep within the "Iron Triangle" of sanctuaries and bases, near the Cambodian border?
5. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)