|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hai Thuan, a Southern cadre of the Vietminh in its war against the French, do in Chapter 22?
(a) He is the minister of justice.
(b) He refuses to petition the politburo about his son.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He leaves his wife and children to go to France.
2. What did Tang hope to obtain upon his trip as part of the PRG's delegation at Algiers' independence celebration?
(a) Support for the Khmer resistance.
(b) Juridicial reforms in Algeria.
(c) Help with Mme. Binh's world tour.
(d) Material aid for a propaganda campaign.
3. Where were Tang's brothers, Quynh and Bich, sent on June 16, 1975?
(a) To Hanoi.
(b) To a Soviet camp.
(c) To Saigon General Hospital.
(d) To their own reeducation points.
4. What were all of the attendants aware of at the PRG meeting in January of 1972?
(a) That the Soviets and China were pulling away.
(b) Their struggle was reaching a turning point.
(c) Cambodia would take over Vietnam.
(d) They were losing the war.
5. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
(a) Saigon had fallen.
(b) The troops in Saigon were filled with depression.
(c) A province near Saigon, Phuoc Long, had fallen.
(d) President Thieu had been deposed.
6. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Fighting and Talking."
(b) "Human Liberation for the People."
(c) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(d) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
7. What did the term "neutralize" mean within the context of the Phoenix Program?
(a) To let sleep.
(b) To save at all costs.
(c) To leave alone.
(d) To kill.
8. Upon Tang's visit to Moscow from Algiers, what did his anticipated "vacation" turn out to be?
(a) An observation of Russian life.
(b) A period of rest and recuperation.
(c) A meeting every day with Soviet leaders.
(d) A whirlwind vistit to Soviet tourist attractions.
9. How could the significance of the Alliance and the PRG be substantially reenhanced?
(a) If a decisive military outcome is reached.
(b) In the event of a political compromise.
(c) If the Alliance and the PRG overtake the COSVN.
(d) If the ARVN wins the war.
10. What were "elephant's intestines?"
(a) The belts on the guerrillas' pajamas.
(b) Moneys cooked in a pot.
(c) Poisonous snakes.
(d) Long tubes of rolled cotton.
11. What was the prime enemy of the guerrillas considered to be in the jungle?
(a) The Americans.
(d) The Saigon troops.
12. Why were the various sites for the PRG ministries chosen to be deep within the "Iron Triangle" of sanctuaries and bases, near the Cambodian border?
(a) It was what President Phat deeemed best.
(b) As good proection from B-52 and helicopter asssaults.
(c) To be close to the Gulf of Thailand.
(d) To stifle communication with COSVN.
13. Who was the only professional sailor on board the boat Tang and his wife escaped on?
(a) There was none.
(b) Ton's cousin.
14. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
(a) As a country of people to be saved.
(b) As an independent nation.
(c) With a view toward economic progress.
(d) As a pawn of strategy.
15. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
(a) Minister of the Interior.
(b) Foreign Minister.
(c) Minister of Justice.
(d) Cabinet Secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Madame Phat receive after she spoke of her debt of gratitude to the Party?
2. What directives emerged from a COSVN/PRG meeting held in Chapter 22?
3. What did Tang do for his brother, Bich, in Chapter 22?
4. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
5. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)