|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the prime enemy of the guerrillas considered to be in the jungle?
(c) The Saigon troops.
(d) The Americans.
2. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
(b) Three hundred.
(d) Three hundred thousand.
3. What did Thieu force university and high school students to do in 1970?
(a) Take jobs within the military.
(b) Stay in school at all costs.
(c) Refuse visits with family and friends.
(d) Attend military and training exercises.
4. Who does Tang marry in the summer of 1976?
(a) A relative of Madame Thieu's.
(b) A close family friend of Trinh Dinh Thao.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) A Communist Party bureaucrat.
5. How did Tran Back Dang get himself in trouble with the COSVN in Chapter 19?
(a) He allowed his regional loyalties to interfere with his Party duties.
(b) He was taking matters into his own hands too much.
(c) He made a speech vilifying the Party.
(d) He lightly said the workers' movement was worse than bad.
6. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
(a) Offered Tang a huge loan for the country.
(b) Refused to meet with any Vietnamese parties.
(c) Held a dinner in honor of the PRG.
(d) Kept their distance from the PRG.
7. What did the term "neutralize" mean within the context of the Phoenix Program?
(a) To kill.
(b) To leave alone.
(c) To save at all costs.
(d) To let sleep.
8. Why did the PRG believe that having Tang's brothers working for the South Vietnamese government might help their cause?
(a) A brother's family could be held hostage in the future.
(b) Tang could be viewed as a double agent.
(c) Family ties in the government gave the public reassurance about Tang.
(d) One of the brothers could become a spy.
9. What was Nixon's "Vietnamization" as the NLF saw it?
(a) A step-up of American ground troops.
(b) A political maneuver to stop opposition to the war.
(c) An attempt to portray Vietnam as a civil conflict.
(d) A way to strike at a peace settlement for North and South.
10. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
(a) Join an underground revolution.
(b) Join the government.
(c) Continue to live in seclusion.
(d) Leave the country.
11. What directives emerged from a COSVN/PRG meeting held in Chapter 22?
(a) Everyone from the old regime must undergo a rigorous curriculum.
(b) A new flag must be created.
(c) A new political song must be written.
(d) All previous Saigon regime leaders must be executed.
12. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
(a) Nearly 20.
(b) Only 1.
(c) About 10.
(d) 15 or more.
13. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
(a) Deported them.
(b) Confiscated their ration card.
(c) Threatened their life.
(d) Brought them to the voting centers.
14. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
(a) To plan an escape.
(b) The revoluionaries were in the city.
(c) They were bored in the country.
(d) They missed their family.
15. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
(a) Study the peace talks ongoing in Paris.
(b) Exhibit Buddhist and Confucian spirituality.
(c) Study the fine points of Marxism-Leninism.
(d) Make plans for future attacks on the ARVN.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon Tang's return to Hanoi in Chapter 20, what does he encounter in the city he has not visited for thirty years?
2. What were all of the attendants aware of at the PRG meeting in January of 1972?
3. What happened when the city of Hue was taken by the NLF and Northern troops in January, 1968?
4. On the day of celebration at Independence Palace Square to celebrate the Vietnamese victory at last, which military units were the last to appear in the parade?
5. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)