|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
(a) They publicly agreed with the PRG's stance.
(b) The Saigon forces had no way to gain advantages due to the PRG's passiveness.
(c) The PRG's passivity was ignored completely.
(d) They fought to gain land and population in PRG areas of control.
2. How did Nixon and Kissinger justify the Tet offensive bombings and invasion of Cambodia?
(a) A propaganda war of words was won.
(b) It gained an essential year of time.
(c) It increased American unity.
(d) It brought an end to the American anti-war protests.
3. What was the most popular weaponry used in the Front?
(a) Chinese AK-47 rifles.
(c) Grenades and mines.
(d) M-16 rifles.
4. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
(a) Galang Island.
(b) An oil rig station.
(c) Poulo Condore.
5. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
(a) A province near Saigon, Phuoc Long, had fallen.
(b) The troops in Saigon were filled with depression.
(c) Saigon had fallen.
(d) President Thieu had been deposed.
6. Who was the only professional sailor on board the boat Tang and his wife escaped on?
(a) There was none.
(c) Ton's cousin.
7. Why was the main goal of the Northern forces in 1972 to get the U.S. out of Vietnam?
(a) To show the world that America was oppressive.
(b) To isolate the Thieu regime, bringing domestic opposition to them.
(c) To stop the heavy hits of the B-52 bombs.
(d) To stimulate Vietnam's economy.
8. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
(a) He accepts and hopes to change the government from within.
(b) He refuses, voicing his objections to the government's stances.
(c) He accepts but never shows up to duty.
(d) He declines, saying he is ill.
9. Why were the various sites for the PRG ministries chosen to be deep within the "Iron Triangle" of sanctuaries and bases, near the Cambodian border?
(a) It was what President Phat deeemed best.
(b) As good proection from B-52 and helicopter asssaults.
(c) To be close to the Gulf of Thailand.
(d) To stifle communication with COSVN.
10. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
(a) The dates are anniversaries of grandparents' deaths.
(b) To honor Ho Chi Minh's birthday.
(c) To commemmorate the founding of the NLF.
(d) To upstage a Nixon-Thieu meeting being held on Midway Island.
11. What nickname did Madame Phat receive after she spoke of her debt of gratitude to the Party?
(a) Humorless Madame Phat.
(b) Guardian of the Pagoda.
(c) Keeper of Bourgeois Reality.
(d) Proletariat Phat.
12. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
(a) "A standard army wins if it does not lose."
(b) "Even though we run like hell, we'll still win."
(c) "Guerrillas win if they don't lose."
(d) "Winning is only half the battle."
13. What happened when the city of Hue was taken by the NLF and Northern troops in January, 1968?
(a) The NLF gave the directive to carry out massacres there.
(b) Many people were murdered due to inadequate discipline.
(c) Citizens ran away and the city was nearly empty.
(d) The city was taken peacefully.
14. What did the term "neutralize" mean within the context of the Phoenix Program?
(a) To leave alone.
(b) To let sleep.
(c) To kill.
(d) To save at all costs.
15. What were the watchwords of the danh va dam strategy used throughout the Paris talks?
(a) Unionize and gather.
(b) Contradict and stimulate.
(c) Fight and win.
(d) Separate and isolate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang bring to the attention of DRV Prime Minister Dong in Chapter 22?
2. On the day of celebration at Independence Palace Square to celebrate the Vietnamese victory at last, which military units were the last to appear in the parade?
3. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
4. What did Article 9 of the Paris Accords call for the creation of?
5. What were all of the attendants aware of at the PRG meeting in January of 1972?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)