|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tran Back Dang get himself in trouble with the COSVN in Chapter 19?
(a) He made a speech vilifying the Party.
(b) He was taking matters into his own hands too much.
(c) He lightly said the workers' movement was worse than bad.
(d) He allowed his regional loyalties to interfere with his Party duties.
2. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
(a) Who was promoted within the ranks.
(b) How many pairs of pajamas they received.
(c) By the salary raises they received.
(d) How they were treated by the party.
3. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
(a) His mother was ill.
(b) His father had died.
(c) His brother, Quynh, was in the United States.
(d) The police had arrested his wife.
4. As long as American strength supported the Saigon government, how did the NLF feel about the idea of total victory?
(b) A soon-to-be-accomplished goal.
(c) Wistful and vague.
(d) Determined to win.
5. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
(a) A commitment to reconciliation.
(b) A fundamental split in the revolution.
(c) Le Duan's expertise in manipulation during Paris talks.
(d) Internal propaganda.
6. What did Tang bring to the attention of DRV Prime Minister Dong in Chapter 22?
(a) Prime Minister Dong's need for a new set of laws.
(b) The development of a code of law.
(c) How the end of arrests has taken place.
(d) The lawless rampage that was taking place.
7. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
(a) Minister of the Interior.
(b) Foreign Minister.
(c) Cabinet Secretary.
(d) Minister of Justice.
8. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
(a) Confiscated their ration card.
(b) Brought them to the voting centers.
(c) Deported them.
(d) Threatened their life.
9. Upon Tang's visit to Moscow from Algiers, what did his anticipated "vacation" turn out to be?
(a) A period of rest and recuperation.
(b) A whirlwind vistit to Soviet tourist attractions.
(c) An observation of Russian life.
(d) A meeting every day with Soviet leaders.
10. What nickname did Madame Phat receive after she spoke of her debt of gratitude to the Party?
(a) Guardian of the Pagoda.
(b) Proletariat Phat.
(c) Keeper of Bourgeois Reality.
(d) Humorless Madame Phat.
11. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
(a) A province near Saigon, Phuoc Long, had fallen.
(b) Saigon had fallen.
(c) The troops in Saigon were filled with depression.
(d) President Thieu had been deposed.
12. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
(a) Nearly 20.
(b) About 10.
(c) 15 or more.
(d) Only 1.
13. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
(a) President Tho.
(b) Ho Chi Minh.
(c) His brother, Quynh.
(d) President Thieu's wife.
14. What effect did America's invasion into Cambodia have on the NLF?
(a) It had no effect.
(b) Acute physical and emotional hardship.
(c) They gained the support of Cambodians.
(d) A renewed spirit to fight the enemy.
15. Who does Tang marry in the summer of 1976?
(a) A Communist Party bureaucrat.
(b) A relative of Madame Thieu's.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) A close family friend of Trinh Dinh Thao.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
2. What did Hai Thuan, a Southern cadre of the Vietminh in its war against the French, do in Chapter 22?
3. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
4. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
5. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)