|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nixon's "Vietnamization" as the NLF saw it?
(a) A step-up of American ground troops.
(b) A political maneuver to stop opposition to the war.
(c) A way to strike at a peace settlement for North and South.
(d) An attempt to portray Vietnam as a civil conflict.
2. Which unit member was very popular for what he could provide the guerrillas with?
(a) The supply cadre.
(b) The cook.
(c) The leadership cadre.
(d) The finance cadre.
3. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
(a) There was no necessary connection.
(b) The role of the intelligentsia in the national revolution.
(c) The war against imperialism.
(d) The interdependence of class struggle.
4. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
(a) They showed a lack of manners when refusing to acknowledge the PRG.
(b) They cheered on America's military greatness in his presence.
(c) They feted the Party and ignored the PRG.
(d) They showed fervid public enthusiasm at America's humiliation.
5. Where did the NLF establish a new headquarters after America's Cambodian attack?
(d) Komchai Meas.
6. What did Tang consider to be the "fourth front" for the NLF's cause?
(a) The Paris peace talks.
(b) Thieu's government.
(c) Public opinion in the United States.
(d) The drug wars in Cambodia.
7. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
(a) The Saigon forces had no way to gain advantages due to the PRG's passiveness.
(b) The PRG's passivity was ignored completely.
(c) They fought to gain land and population in PRG areas of control.
(d) They publicly agreed with the PRG's stance.
8. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
(a) A book written by Henry Kissinger.
(b) Anti-Vietnam war demonstrations.
(c) The Watergate scandal.
(d) The re-election of Nixon.
9. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
(a) He asks why the people are taking so long to be reeducated.
(b) He asks to help reinvent the directives.
(c) He wants to know if he has time for a series of word games.
(d) He asks if he needs to be sent to a reeducation camp.
10. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
(a) The original paths had grown dense with jungle foilage.
(b) Transportation was non-existant.
(c) The route had become a system of two-lane roads.
(d) The dirt paths were unchanged from years past.
11. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(b) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
(c) "Human Liberation for the People."
(d) "Fighting and Talking."
12. What did the term "neutralize" mean within the context of the Phoenix Program?
(a) To save at all costs.
(b) To let sleep.
(c) To kill.
(d) To leave alone.
13. Where does Tang and his wife live after he decides to go into seclusion??
(a) Go Vap.
(b) Upstate New York.
(d) On the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
14. On the day of celebration at Independence Palace Square to celebrate the Vietnamese victory at last, which military units were the last to appear in the parade?
(a) The Democratic Republic of North Vietnam.
(b) The Soviet Army.
(c) The North Vietnamese Army.
(d) The Vietcong units.
15. What did Thieu force university and high school students to do in 1970?
(a) Take jobs within the military.
(b) Refuse visits with family and friends.
(c) Stay in school at all costs.
(d) Attend military and training exercises.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
2. Upon Tang's visit to Moscow from Algiers, what did his anticipated "vacation" turn out to be?
3. How did Tran Back Dang get himself in trouble with the COSVN in Chapter 19?
4. What did Tang and the nationalists feel the Paris agreement would give them an opportunity to do as described in Chapter 18?
5. What was the American Senate's Hatfield amendment?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)