|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
(a) The war against imperialism.
(b) The interdependence of class struggle.
(c) The role of the intelligentsia in the national revolution.
(d) There was no necessary connection.
2. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do upon his foreign minister's signing of a peace accord?
(a) He showed good will intentions toward the PRG.
(b) He went on the air over Radio Hanoi to announce the signing.
(c) He made it clear that he was ready for a coalition government.
(d) He broadcast no intention of abiding by it.
3. What was Nixon's "Vietnamization" as the NLF saw it?
(a) A political maneuver to stop opposition to the war.
(b) A way to strike at a peace settlement for North and South.
(c) An attempt to portray Vietnam as a civil conflict.
(d) A step-up of American ground troops.
4. What did Tang's host want most to know from Tang during his visit to Budapest ?
(a) How much support Hungary could give the PRG.
(b) Why the Party was allying itself with the Soviets.
(c) Vietnam's position on the Sino-Soviet dispute.
(d) Whether he was happy to be gone from Russia.
5. What were "elephant's intestines?"
(a) The belts on the guerrillas' pajamas.
(b) Poisonous snakes.
(c) Long tubes of rolled cotton.
(d) Moneys cooked in a pot.
6. What nickname did Madame Phat receive after she spoke of her debt of gratitude to the Party?
(a) Humorless Madame Phat.
(b) Guardian of the Pagoda.
(c) Keeper of Bourgeois Reality.
(d) Proletariat Phat.
7. What did Tang do for his brother, Bich, in Chapter 22?
(a) He tried to get him released from detention but failed.
(b) He got him a position in the politburo.
(c) He had him released from detention.
(d) He wrote letters to him, giving him advice.
8. How did Tran Back Dang get himself in trouble with the COSVN in Chapter 19?
(a) He lightly said the workers' movement was worse than bad.
(b) He made a speech vilifying the Party.
(c) He allowed his regional loyalties to interfere with his Party duties.
(d) He was taking matters into his own hands too much.
9. What does elephant taste like according to Tang?
(a) A tasty morsel if eaten quickly.
(b) Like chicken.
(c) Tasteless and tough as old shoes.
(d) Like a rare delicacy.
10. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
(a) To upstage a Nixon-Thieu meeting being held on Midway Island.
(b) To honor Ho Chi Minh's birthday.
(c) To commemmorate the founding of the NLF.
(d) The dates are anniversaries of grandparents' deaths.
11. Which unit member was very popular for what he could provide the guerrillas with?
(a) The leadership cadre.
(b) The finance cadre.
(c) The supply cadre.
(d) The cook.
12. What were all of the attendants aware of at the PRG meeting in January of 1972?
(a) That the Soviets and China were pulling away.
(b) Cambodia would take over Vietnam.
(c) They were losing the war.
(d) Their struggle was reaching a turning point.
13. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
(a) Nearly 20.
(b) About 10.
(c) Only 1.
(d) 15 or more.
14. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
(a) Study the peace talks ongoing in Paris.
(b) Exhibit Buddhist and Confucian spirituality.
(c) Make plans for future attacks on the ARVN.
(d) Study the fine points of Marxism-Leninism.
15. What did Tang bring to the attention of DRV Prime Minister Dong in Chapter 22?
(a) The lawless rampage that was taking place.
(b) How the end of arrests has taken place.
(c) Prime Minister Dong's need for a new set of laws.
(d) The development of a code of law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
2. What break came to Tang and his wife via his wife's brother-in-law?
3. What was the main goal of the Provisional Revolutionary Government, organized in 1969?
4. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
5. How did Nixon and Kissinger justify the Tet offensive bombings and invasion of Cambodia?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)