|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
(a) They showed fervid public enthusiasm at America's humiliation.
(b) They cheered on America's military greatness in his presence.
(c) They feted the Party and ignored the PRG.
(d) They showed a lack of manners when refusing to acknowledge the PRG.
2. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
(a) His mother was ill.
(b) The police had arrested his wife.
(c) His father had died.
(d) His brother, Quynh, was in the United States.
3. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
(a) He asks why the people are taking so long to be reeducated.
(b) He asks to help reinvent the directives.
(c) He wants to know if he has time for a series of word games.
(d) He asks if he needs to be sent to a reeducation camp.
4. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
(a) Study the peace talks ongoing in Paris.
(b) Study the fine points of Marxism-Leninism.
(c) Exhibit Buddhist and Confucian spirituality.
(d) Make plans for future attacks on the ARVN.
5. What did Thieu force university and high school students to do in 1970?
(a) Take jobs within the military.
(b) Attend military and training exercises.
(c) Refuse visits with family and friends.
(d) Stay in school at all costs.
6. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
(a) How they were treated by the party.
(b) By the salary raises they received.
(c) How many pairs of pajamas they received.
(d) Who was promoted within the ranks.
7. What did Tang's host want most to know from Tang during his visit to Budapest ?
(a) Vietnam's position on the Sino-Soviet dispute.
(b) Whether he was happy to be gone from Russia.
(c) Why the Party was allying itself with the Soviets.
(d) How much support Hungary could give the PRG.
8. Where did the Northern escape routes directly lead to?
(b) The Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(d) Cambodia's Pre Veng Province.
9. What directives emerged from a COSVN/PRG meeting held in Chapter 22?
(a) All previous Saigon regime leaders must be executed.
(b) A new political song must be written.
(c) Everyone from the old regime must undergo a rigorous curriculum.
(d) A new flag must be created.
10. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
(a) Join an underground revolution.
(b) Leave the country.
(c) Continue to live in seclusion.
(d) Join the government.
11. What effect did America's invasion into Cambodia have on the NLF?
(a) It had no effect.
(b) Acute physical and emotional hardship.
(c) A renewed spirit to fight the enemy.
(d) They gained the support of Cambodians.
12. What did the term "neutralize" mean within the context of the Phoenix Program?
(a) To leave alone.
(b) To kill.
(c) To save at all costs.
(d) To let sleep.
13. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
(a) The absence of fear.
(b) The extra pairs of pajamas they received.
(c) Their access to information.
(d) Their extra food rations.
14. What were the watchwords of the danh va dam strategy used throughout the Paris talks?
(a) Separate and isolate.
(b) Contradict and stimulate.
(c) Fight and win.
(d) Unionize and gather.
15. What nearly derailed Tang and dozens of others with him of leaving the country by boat?
(a) A government soldier on a fishing boat grew suspicious.
(b) The boat hit a sand bar and got stuck.
(c) A monsoon hit them.
(d) The pirates on the ocean spotted them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
2. Who does Tang marry in the summer of 1976?
3. Upon Tang's visit to Moscow from Algiers, what did his anticipated "vacation" turn out to be?
4. What were "elephant's intestines?"
5. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)