|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
(a) Threatened their life.
(b) Confiscated their ration card.
(c) Deported them.
(d) Brought them to the voting centers.
2. Upon Tang's return to Hanoi in Chapter 20, what does he encounter in the city he has not visited for thirty years?
(a) Dreariness and poverty.
(b) Ceaseless turmoil.
(c) A modern and beautified city.
(d) A place of dignity.
3. Who was the American Ambassador trying to arrange the appearance of a real election in Saigon in Chapter 17?
(a) Henry Kissinger.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) Ellsworth Bunker.
(d) George McGovern.
4. What was the reason behind the National Council of National Reconciliation and Concord as described in Article 9 of the Paris Accords?
(a) To engage Vietnam's military operatives.
(b) To resolve Vietnam's domestic problems through political means.
(c) To isolate Thieu.
(d) To have Thieu retreat from dismantling his government.
5. Why were both Nixon and Kissinger unable to formulate policies that would frustrate the strategies of the North?
(a) They did not possess enough weaponry to overcome the North.
(b) They could not think about the war in the same way as their enemy could.
(c) The American press was against them.
(d) The policies involved only air raids.
6. What did Hai Thuan, a Southern cadre of the Vietminh in its war against the French, do in Chapter 22?
(a) He leaves his wife and children to go to France.
(b) He is the minister of justice.
(c) He refuses to petition the politburo about his son.
(d) He commits suicide.
7. What was the American Senate's Hatfield amendment?
(a) It required the withdrawal of troops in return for the release of POWs.
(b) It prohibited funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
(c) An increase in air raids in order to finish the war.
(d) It gave funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
8. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
(a) President Tho.
(b) Ho Chi Minh.
(c) His brother, Quynh.
(d) President Thieu's wife.
9. What were the watchwords of the danh va dam strategy used throughout the Paris talks?
(a) Separate and isolate.
(b) Unionize and gather.
(c) Fight and win.
(d) Contradict and stimulate.
10. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
(a) He refuses, voicing his objections to the government's stances.
(b) He accepts but never shows up to duty.
(c) He declines, saying he is ill.
(d) He accepts and hopes to change the government from within.
11. What new means of transportation was Vietnam inundated with in 1969 and 1970?
(c) Itallian bicycles.
(d) Japanese motorbikes.
12. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
(b) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(c) "Fighting and Talking."
(d) "Human Liberation for the People."
13. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
(a) A province near Saigon, Phuoc Long, had fallen.
(b) Saigon had fallen.
(c) The troops in Saigon were filled with depression.
(d) President Thieu had been deposed.
14. Which unit member was very popular for what he could provide the guerrillas with?
(a) The cook.
(b) The finance cadre.
(c) The supply cadre.
(d) The leadership cadre.
15. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
(a) There was no necessary connection.
(b) The role of the intelligentsia in the national revolution.
(c) The war against imperialism.
(d) The interdependence of class struggle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
2. What happened when the city of Hue was taken by the NLF and Northern troops in January, 1968?
3. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
4. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
5. Where did the NLF establish a new headquarters after America's Cambodian attack?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)