|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the NLF's response to Nixon's "Vietnamization"?
(a) Set up a formal NLF governmental structure in Saigon.
(b) Move the entire NLF organization to Hanoi.
(c) Step up the use of arms.
(d) Retreat and lay low for a number of years.
2. Where did the NLF establish a new headquarters after America's Cambodian attack?
(d) Komchai Meas.
3. What was the reason behind the National Council of National Reconciliation and Concord as described in Article 9 of the Paris Accords?
(a) To resolve Vietnam's domestic problems through political means.
(b) To isolate Thieu.
(c) To have Thieu retreat from dismantling his government.
(d) To engage Vietnam's military operatives.
4. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
(a) His mother was ill.
(b) The police had arrested his wife.
(c) His brother, Quynh, was in the United States.
(d) His father had died.
5. What was the American Senate's Hatfield amendment?
(a) It prohibited funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
(b) It gave funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
(c) An increase in air raids in order to finish the war.
(d) It required the withdrawal of troops in return for the release of POWs.
6. Which unit member was very popular for what he could provide the guerrillas with?
(a) The leadership cadre.
(b) The cook.
(c) The supply cadre.
(d) The finance cadre.
7. Who was the only professional sailor on board the boat Tang and his wife escaped on?
(a) There was none.
(c) Ton's cousin.
8. Why did Tang accept an appointment as director of the National Rubber Industry in Chapter 24?
(a) His wife insisted he take the job.
(b) He was bored and wanted prestige.
(c) Because it made an excellent cover for him.
(d) He needed to work for money.
9. What was Nixon's "Vietnamization" as the NLF saw it?
(a) A way to strike at a peace settlement for North and South.
(b) A political maneuver to stop opposition to the war.
(c) An attempt to portray Vietnam as a civil conflict.
(d) A step-up of American ground troops.
10. What was Ba Cap's personality like?
(a) Quiet and studious.
(b) Well-liked and personable.
(c) Abrasive and vociferous.
(d) Good-tempered and funny.
11. What was the main goal of the Provisional Revolutionary Government, organized in 1969?
(a) To win the war by force and oust American forces.
(b) To represent the Northern Vietnamese.
(c) To influence public opinion on different fronts.
(d) To look better in the eyes of the Communist Party.
12. The taking of Saigon by Northern forces hinged upon the fall of which centrally located city?
(b) Da Nang.
(c) Phuoc Long.
(d) Ban Me Thuot.
13. What was Sihanouk's title in Cambodia in early 1970?
14. What new means of transportation was Vietnam inundated with in 1969 and 1970?
(b) Japanese motorbikes.
(c) Itallian bicycles.
15. What were all of the attendants aware of at the PRG meeting in January of 1972?
(a) That the Soviets and China were pulling away.
(b) They were losing the war.
(c) Their struggle was reaching a turning point.
(d) Cambodia would take over Vietnam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tang's last official function in Algeria?
2. What did Tang consider to be the "fourth front" for the NLF's cause?
3. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
4. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do upon his foreign minister's signing of a peace accord?
5. What did Tang do for his brother, Bich, in Chapter 22?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)