|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
(a) Minister of the Interior.
(b) Minister of Justice.
(c) Cabinet Secretary.
(d) Foreign Minister.
2. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
(a) They missed their family.
(b) The revoluionaries were in the city.
(c) They were bored in the country.
(d) To plan an escape.
3. What did Tang and the nationalists feel the Paris agreement would give them an opportunity to do as described in Chapter 18?
(a) Fight externally for a settlement.
(b) Get an agreement on paper.
(c) Proselytize to the Saigon regime.
(d) Increase the fears of partnership with the PRG.
4. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
(a) His father had died.
(b) His mother was ill.
(c) His brother, Quynh, was in the United States.
(d) The police had arrested his wife.
5. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
(a) To recuperate from illnesses.
(b) To gather with the Communist Party leaders for a meeting.
(c) To have a long-awaiting vacation.
(d) To be trained in new techniques of warfare.
6. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
(a) Internal propaganda.
(b) A commitment to reconciliation.
(c) A fundamental split in the revolution.
(d) Le Duan's expertise in manipulation during Paris talks.
7. What did Thieu force university and high school students to do in 1970?
(a) Stay in school at all costs.
(b) Attend military and training exercises.
(c) Refuse visits with family and friends.
(d) Take jobs within the military.
8. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
(a) The interdependence of class struggle.
(b) The war against imperialism.
(c) The role of the intelligentsia in the national revolution.
(d) There was no necessary connection.
9. What was the American Senate's Hatfield amendment?
(a) It required the withdrawal of troops in return for the release of POWs.
(b) It prohibited funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
(c) It gave funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
(d) An increase in air raids in order to finish the war.
10. What was Sihanouk's title in Cambodia in early 1970?
11. What directives emerged from a COSVN/PRG meeting held in Chapter 22?
(a) Everyone from the old regime must undergo a rigorous curriculum.
(b) A new flag must be created.
(c) A new political song must be written.
(d) All previous Saigon regime leaders must be executed.
12. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Three hundred thousand.
13. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
(a) Make plans for future attacks on the ARVN.
(b) Study the peace talks ongoing in Paris.
(c) Exhibit Buddhist and Confucian spirituality.
(d) Study the fine points of Marxism-Leninism.
14. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
(a) His brother, Quynh.
(b) President Tho.
(c) President Thieu's wife.
(d) Ho Chi Minh.
15. Why were the various sites for the PRG ministries chosen to be deep within the "Iron Triangle" of sanctuaries and bases, near the Cambodian border?
(a) As good proection from B-52 and helicopter asssaults.
(b) To be close to the Gulf of Thailand.
(c) To stifle communication with COSVN.
(d) It was what President Phat deeemed best.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
2. What was the NLF's response to Nixon's "Vietnamization"?
3. As long as American strength supported the Saigon government, how did the NLF feel about the idea of total victory?
4. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
5. What happened when the city of Hue was taken by the NLF and Northern troops in January, 1968?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)