|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
(a) Make plans for future attacks on the ARVN.
(b) Study the fine points of Marxism-Leninism.
(c) Exhibit Buddhist and Confucian spirituality.
(d) Study the peace talks ongoing in Paris.
2. What did Tang bring to the attention of DRV Prime Minister Dong in Chapter 22?
(a) The development of a code of law.
(b) How the end of arrests has taken place.
(c) Prime Minister Dong's need for a new set of laws.
(d) The lawless rampage that was taking place.
3. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do upon his foreign minister's signing of a peace accord?
(a) He broadcast no intention of abiding by it.
(b) He made it clear that he was ready for a coalition government.
(c) He went on the air over Radio Hanoi to announce the signing.
(d) He showed good will intentions toward the PRG.
4. What were all of the attendants aware of at the PRG meeting in January of 1972?
(a) Cambodia would take over Vietnam.
(b) They were losing the war.
(c) Their struggle was reaching a turning point.
(d) That the Soviets and China were pulling away.
5. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
(a) Refused to meet with any Vietnamese parties.
(b) Held a dinner in honor of the PRG.
(c) Kept their distance from the PRG.
(d) Offered Tang a huge loan for the country.
6. What new means of transportation was Vietnam inundated with in 1969 and 1970?
(c) Itallian bicycles.
(d) Japanese motorbikes.
7. What did Article 9 of the Paris Accords call for the creation of?
(a) A humanitarian ideal of a Socialist nature.
(b) A National Council of Reconciliation.
(c) A greater role of the Saigon government in negotiations.
(d) A Korean-style equilibrium vision.
8. What was the PRG opposed to?
(a) Troop withdrawals by Nixon.
(b) Being linked to Hanoi.
(c) Including people from Central Vietnam in their group.
(d) Revolutionary justice as performed in Hue.
9. What did Tang's host want most to know from Tang during his visit to Budapest ?
(a) Vietnam's position on the Sino-Soviet dispute.
(b) Whether he was happy to be gone from Russia.
(c) Why the Party was allying itself with the Soviets.
(d) How much support Hungary could give the PRG.
10. What did Tang and the nationalists feel the Paris agreement would give them an opportunity to do as described in Chapter 18?
(a) Proselytize to the Saigon regime.
(b) Fight externally for a settlement.
(c) Increase the fears of partnership with the PRG.
(d) Get an agreement on paper.
11. What directives emerged from a COSVN/PRG meeting held in Chapter 22?
(a) A new flag must be created.
(b) Everyone from the old regime must undergo a rigorous curriculum.
(c) All previous Saigon regime leaders must be executed.
(d) A new political song must be written.
12. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
(a) As a pawn of strategy.
(b) As an independent nation.
(c) As a country of people to be saved.
(d) With a view toward economic progress.
13. What happened when the city of Hue was taken by the NLF and Northern troops in January, 1968?
(a) Many people were murdered due to inadequate discipline.
(b) Citizens ran away and the city was nearly empty.
(c) The city was taken peacefully.
(d) The NLF gave the directive to carry out massacres there.
14. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
(a) "Guerrillas win if they don't lose."
(b) "Even though we run like hell, we'll still win."
(c) "Winning is only half the battle."
(d) "A standard army wins if it does not lose."
15. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
(a) His brother, Quynh.
(b) President Thieu's wife.
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
(d) President Tho.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
2. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
3. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
4. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
5. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)