|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were all of the attendants aware of at the PRG meeting in January of 1972?
(a) They were losing the war.
(b) That the Soviets and China were pulling away.
(c) Their struggle was reaching a turning point.
(d) Cambodia would take over Vietnam.
2. What did Tang consider to be the "fourth front" for the NLF's cause?
(a) The drug wars in Cambodia.
(b) The Paris peace talks.
(c) Thieu's government.
(d) Public opinion in the United States.
3. What was the main goal of the Provisional Revolutionary Government, organized in 1969?
(a) To influence public opinion on different fronts.
(b) To look better in the eyes of the Communist Party.
(c) To win the war by force and oust American forces.
(d) To represent the Northern Vietnamese.
4. How did Nixon and Kissinger justify the Tet offensive bombings and invasion of Cambodia?
(a) A propaganda war of words was won.
(b) It gained an essential year of time.
(c) It increased American unity.
(d) It brought an end to the American anti-war protests.
5. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
(a) Study the peace talks ongoing in Paris.
(b) Study the fine points of Marxism-Leninism.
(c) Exhibit Buddhist and Confucian spirituality.
(d) Make plans for future attacks on the ARVN.
6. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
(a) His father had died.
(b) His brother, Quynh, was in the United States.
(c) His mother was ill.
(d) The police had arrested his wife.
7. What break came to Tang and his wife via his wife's brother-in-law?
(a) An opportunity to showcase Tang's war efforts.
(b) They were able to sell their cottage at a profit.
(c) The prospect of escape by boat.
(d) A job prospect without being in the government.
8. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
(a) To be trained in new techniques of warfare.
(b) To recuperate from illnesses.
(c) To have a long-awaiting vacation.
(d) To gather with the Communist Party leaders for a meeting.
9. What new means of transportation was Vietnam inundated with in 1969 and 1970?
(a) Japanese motorbikes.
(c) Itallian bicycles.
10. What was the reason behind the National Council of National Reconciliation and Concord as described in Article 9 of the Paris Accords?
(a) To isolate Thieu.
(b) To resolve Vietnam's domestic problems through political means.
(c) To have Thieu retreat from dismantling his government.
(d) To engage Vietnam's military operatives.
11. What did Tang do at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria to insult the Soviets?
(a) Denounced the Soviets stance in a speech.
(b) Made a rude comment to a Soviet delegate and tried to retract it.
(c) Refused to shake hands with the Soviet delegate to the conference.
(d) Walked away from a statement made by the Soviet delegate.
12. How did Tran Back Dang get himself in trouble with the COSVN in Chapter 19?
(a) He made a speech vilifying the Party.
(b) He was taking matters into his own hands too much.
(c) He lightly said the workers' movement was worse than bad.
(d) He allowed his regional loyalties to interfere with his Party duties.
13. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
(a) Foreign Minister.
(b) Minister of Justice.
(c) Minister of the Interior.
(d) Cabinet Secretary.
14. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Human Liberation for the People."
(b) "Fighting and Talking."
(c) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
(d) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
15. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do upon his foreign minister's signing of a peace accord?
(a) He broadcast no intention of abiding by it.
(b) He made it clear that he was ready for a coalition government.
(c) He showed good will intentions toward the PRG.
(d) He went on the air over Radio Hanoi to announce the signing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
2. Why did the PRG believe that having Tang's brothers working for the South Vietnamese government might help their cause?
3. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
4. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
5. The taking of Saigon by Northern forces hinged upon the fall of which centrally located city?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)