|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
(a) He refuses, voicing his objections to the government's stances.
(b) He accepts but never shows up to duty.
(c) He accepts and hopes to change the government from within.
(d) He declines, saying he is ill.
2. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
(a) The interdependence of class struggle.
(b) There was no necessary connection.
(c) The role of the intelligentsia in the national revolution.
(d) The war against imperialism.
3. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
(a) Galang Island.
(b) An oil rig station.
(c) Poulo Condore.
4. Why was the main goal of the Northern forces in 1972 to get the U.S. out of Vietnam?
(a) To stop the heavy hits of the B-52 bombs.
(b) To show the world that America was oppressive.
(c) To isolate the Thieu regime, bringing domestic opposition to them.
(d) To stimulate Vietnam's economy.
5. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
(a) 15 or more.
(b) About 10.
(c) Only 1.
(d) Nearly 20.
6. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
(a) He wants to know if he has time for a series of word games.
(b) He asks if he needs to be sent to a reeducation camp.
(c) He asks why the people are taking so long to be reeducated.
(d) He asks to help reinvent the directives.
7. When Tang revisited Hanoi in 1974, what did he note about the Ho Chi Minh Trail?
(a) The route had become a system of two-lane roads.
(b) Transportation was non-existant.
(c) The original paths had grown dense with jungle foilage.
(d) The dirt paths were unchanged from years past.
8. What nearly derailed Tang and dozens of others with him of leaving the country by boat?
(a) A monsoon hit them.
(b) A government soldier on a fishing boat grew suspicious.
(c) The pirates on the ocean spotted them.
(d) The boat hit a sand bar and got stuck.
9. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
(a) Minister of Justice.
(b) Cabinet Secretary.
(c) Minister of the Interior.
(d) Foreign Minister.
10. Where does Tang and his wife live after he decides to go into seclusion??
(b) Upstate New York.
(c) On the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(d) Go Vap.
11. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do upon his foreign minister's signing of a peace accord?
(a) He made it clear that he was ready for a coalition government.
(b) He showed good will intentions toward the PRG.
(c) He broadcast no intention of abiding by it.
(d) He went on the air over Radio Hanoi to announce the signing.
12. What nickname did Madame Phat receive after she spoke of her debt of gratitude to the Party?
(a) Guardian of the Pagoda.
(b) Humorless Madame Phat.
(c) Proletariat Phat.
(d) Keeper of Bourgeois Reality.
13. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
(a) To honor Ho Chi Minh's birthday.
(b) To commemmorate the founding of the NLF.
(c) To upstage a Nixon-Thieu meeting being held on Midway Island.
(d) The dates are anniversaries of grandparents' deaths.
14. Why did the PRG believe that having Tang's brothers working for the South Vietnamese government might help their cause?
(a) A brother's family could be held hostage in the future.
(b) Family ties in the government gave the public reassurance about Tang.
(c) One of the brothers could become a spy.
(d) Tang could be viewed as a double agent.
15. What was the most popular weaponry used in the Front?
(a) M-16 rifles.
(c) Chinese AK-47 rifles.
(d) Grenades and mines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
2. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
3. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
4. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
5. What did Tang and the nationalists feel the Paris agreement would give them an opportunity to do as described in Chapter 18?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)