|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tang and his wife live after he decides to go into seclusion??
(a) On the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(b) Go Vap.
(d) Upstate New York.
2. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
(a) Refused to meet with any Vietnamese parties.
(b) Held a dinner in honor of the PRG.
(c) Kept their distance from the PRG.
(d) Offered Tang a huge loan for the country.
3. What did Thieu force university and high school students to do in 1970?
(a) Take jobs within the military.
(b) Stay in school at all costs.
(c) Attend military and training exercises.
(d) Refuse visits with family and friends.
4. What did Hai Thuan, a Southern cadre of the Vietminh in its war against the French, do in Chapter 22?
(a) He is the minister of justice.
(b) He leaves his wife and children to go to France.
(c) He refuses to petition the politburo about his son.
(d) He commits suicide.
5. What was the PRG opposed to?
(a) Including people from Central Vietnam in their group.
(b) Troop withdrawals by Nixon.
(c) Being linked to Hanoi.
(d) Revolutionary justice as performed in Hue.
6. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
(a) "Even though we run like hell, we'll still win."
(b) "Winning is only half the battle."
(c) "A standard army wins if it does not lose."
(d) "Guerrillas win if they don't lose."
7. What directives emerged from a COSVN/PRG meeting held in Chapter 22?
(a) A new political song must be written.
(b) A new flag must be created.
(c) Everyone from the old regime must undergo a rigorous curriculum.
(d) All previous Saigon regime leaders must be executed.
8. The taking of Saigon by Northern forces hinged upon the fall of which centrally located city?
(b) Da Nang.
(c) Ban Me Thuot.
(d) Phuoc Long.
9. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
(a) Study the fine points of Marxism-Leninism.
(b) Make plans for future attacks on the ARVN.
(c) Study the peace talks ongoing in Paris.
(d) Exhibit Buddhist and Confucian spirituality.
10. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
(a) By the salary raises they received.
(b) How many pairs of pajamas they received.
(c) How they were treated by the party.
(d) Who was promoted within the ranks.
11. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
(a) To plan an escape.
(b) The revoluionaries were in the city.
(c) They were bored in the country.
(d) They missed their family.
12. How could the significance of the Alliance and the PRG be substantially reenhanced?
(a) In the event of a political compromise.
(b) If the ARVN wins the war.
(c) If the Alliance and the PRG overtake the COSVN.
(d) If a decisive military outcome is reached.
13. What does elephant taste like according to Tang?
(a) Like a rare delicacy.
(b) Like chicken.
(c) A tasty morsel if eaten quickly.
(d) Tasteless and tough as old shoes.
14. How did Tran Back Dang get himself in trouble with the COSVN in Chapter 19?
(a) He lightly said the workers' movement was worse than bad.
(b) He allowed his regional loyalties to interfere with his Party duties.
(c) He made a speech vilifying the Party.
(d) He was taking matters into his own hands too much.
15. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
(a) 15 or more.
(b) Nearly 20.
(c) About 10.
(d) Only 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did America's invasion into Cambodia have on the NLF?
2. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
3. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
4. On the day of celebration at Independence Palace Square to celebrate the Vietnamese victory at last, which military units were the last to appear in the parade?
5. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)