|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did the leading figure of the Committee to Defend the Peace, Dr. Pham Van Huyen, play in Diem's government in 1954?
(a) Head of state.
(b) Professor of historical societies.
(c) Comissioner of refugees.
(d) Chief judicial adviser.
2. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
(a) Chances for a peaceful, negotiated settlement would vanish.
(b) They had no firearms for a counterattack.
(c) A nuclear bomb attack was anticipated.
(d) The Chinese would then become involved.
3. Why did the NLF Committee meet in 1961 during Tet?
(a) It was the best seasonal weather.
(b) So the members could meet during a celebratory time of year.
(c) Members could bring their family with them if desired.
(d) Government security would be lax at that time.
4. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
(a) Tang's wife.
(b) Le Duc Tho's brother.
(c) Lien's husband.
(d) Albert Tho.
5. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
(a) France had always been Vietnam's ally.
(b) The French were helping Vietnam to develop the country.
(c) The French and the Chinese were fighting the Vietnamese.
(d) France had used Vietnam as a slave state.
6. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
7. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
(a) Chief Opearting Officer.
(b) Public Relations Manager.
(c) Director General.
(d) Head Accountant.
8. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
(a) There was an army attack on the headquarters.
(b) The food had run out.
(c) The men were rioting.
(d) They were celebrating the Tet Mau Than, the lunar new year.
9. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
(a) Tran Kim Quan.
(b) Trinh Dinh Thao.
(c) Michael Van Vi.
(d) Nguyen Huu Tho.
10. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
(a) He told the Americans to pull out of his country.
(b) He resigned his position.
(c) He had Sau Ha, Dang's deputy, arrested.
(d) He was in favor of the program and promoted it.
11. Who did Bao Dai name as Prime Minister?
(a) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(b) Zhou En-Lai.
(c) Vo Nguyen Giap.
(d) Chau Van Tiep.
12. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
(b) Disgustingly dirty.
(d) Quite bearable.
13. Who was Thuy Ba?
(a) The doctor who oversaw Tang's care after he was exchanged as a prisoner.
(b) The woman who would become Tang's third wife.
(c) Ho Chi Minh's wife.
(d) A Communist Party leader.
14. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
(a) They would step up the war to involve more countries.
(b) They would accept Communist victory.
(c) They would not abandon him.
(d) They would become bitter enemies.
15. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
(a) Fighting and talking, talking and fighting.
(b) Warfare and peace, peace and warfare.
(c) Freedom and slavery, slavery and freedom.
(d) Invasion and power, power and invasion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
2. When Tang was arrested in Chapter 10, what was he accused of?
3. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
4. Who did Tang's father allow his sons to interact with outside of the home?
5. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)