|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
2. What did Tang do when he was drafted by the Bao Dai government?
(a) He joined the revolution in Cambodia.
(b) He left the country.
(c) He became a teacher wherever he was needed.
(d) He enrolled in college.
3. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His school teacher.
(d) His eldest brother.
4. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
(a) He had Sau Ha, Dang's deputy, arrested.
(b) He was in favor of the program and promoted it.
(c) He resigned his position.
(d) He told the Americans to pull out of his country.
5. How did Tang know Albert Pham Ngoc Thao?
(a) As a good friend at the lycee.
(b) From his meeting with Ho Chi Minh.
(c) From his days in Paris.
(d) From Ben Tre Province.
6. The moment Tang or any of his brothers displayed a weakness in any school subject, what did Tang's father do?
(a) Employ a tutor.
(b) Teach them himself.
(c) Punish them.
(d) Restrict their activities.
7. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
(a) Ho Chi Minh's Men.
(b) The Neighborhood Contingent.
(c) The Alliance.
(d) The Vanguard Youth.
8. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
(a) Lien's husband.
(b) Albert Tho.
(c) Le Duc Tho's brother.
(d) Tang's wife.
9. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) The Tet Offensive.
(b) The Fourth Republic.
(c) Vietnamese independence.
(d) The French Revolution.
10. Who did Albert Thao's family get to protect him from harm?
(b) Bishop Thuc.
(c) Tang's family.
(d) Vinh Long.
11. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
(a) The French and the Chinese were fighting the Vietnamese.
(b) France had always been Vietnam's ally.
(c) France had used Vietnam as a slave state.
(d) The French were helping Vietnam to develop the country.
12. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
13. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
(a) A well-organized center of Diem's opposition.
(b) Diem's long run for political office.
(c) Jailing and execution of communist sympathizers.
(d) Nhu's revolutionary movement.
14. When Tang was in solitary confinement in the national police headquarters, what saved him from lapsing into permanent catatonia?
(a) The prison grapevine.
(b) The books he was given to read.
(c) The twice-daily meals.
(d) The end of torture.
15. What was the official name of the Vietnamese Communist Party?
(a) Lao Dong.
(b) Tran Buu.
(c) National Liberation Front.
(d) To Cong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Nguyen Huu Tho when Phat's men attempted to liberate him from prison?
2. Who did Bao Dai name as Prime Minister?
3. What did Tang's father threaten to do in Chapter 3?
4. What was the turning point for those who finally decided to take political action and join the Alliance of National, Democratic and Peace Forces?
5. Who was Thuy Ba?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)