|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
(a) To persuade Tang to return home immediately.
(b) To threaten him with violence.
(c) So Tang and she can marry.
(d) To give him grandchildren quickly.
2. How did Tang meet his second wife?
(a) They met in the Cai Lay region.
(b) His father set them up together.
(c) A colleague introduced them.
(d) They had both joined the resistance.
3. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
(a) Wealthy communists.
(b) Family of eight.
(c) Family cocoon.
(d) Protected isolation.
4. What did Ho Chi Minh see Madame Thao doing when he entered the house of the alliance delegation?
(a) Putting on makeup.
(b) Preparing dinner.
(c) Getting dressed.
(d) Arguing with her husband.
5. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
(a) A communist manifesto.
(b) A history of South Vietnam.
(c) A French-Vietnamese dictionary.
(d) A novel based on Vietnamese struggles.
6. Where was Nguyen Huu Tho when Phat's men attempted to liberate him from prison?
(a) Inside the prison house, waiting for them.
(b) He had been executed already.
(c) Having a private visit with his family in a government compound.
(d) Standing near the front entrance.
7. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) She wrote a letter to the president.
(b) She divorced him in hopes he would fight to be released.
(c) She informed the foreign press of Tang's prediciment.
(d) She bribed the tribunal president.
8. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) The tribespeople from the mountains.
(b) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
(c) The French.
(d) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
9. What did Tang's father ask him in a letter towards the end of 1951?
(a) To join the army and fight for Saigon.
(b) To return to his ex-wife and child.
(c) For forgiveness.
(d) To return home and help him financially.
10. What is COSVN which is described in Chapter 11?
(a) The Northern Vietnamese army forces.
(b) The North Vietnamese politburo.
(c) The National Liberation Front system.
(d) A leadership group made up of delegates from the Worker's Party.
11. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
(a) Disgustingly dirty.
(c) Quite bearable.
12. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
13. What punishment did the tribunal bestow upon Tang, besides prison, that may have interfered deeply with Tang's credibility within Vietnamese society?
(a) A hefty monetary fine.
(b) A newspaper editorial.
(c) His driver's license was revoked.
(d) Suspension from his job.
14. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) Strong vodka.
(b) A mild acid.
(c) Hot peppers.
(d) Soapy water.
15. Who did Tang's wife end up bribing in order to get Tang transferred to the national police headquarters?
(a) Ba Tra.
(b) The butcher.
(c) Prime Minister Quat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Ngo Dinh Nhu?
2. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
3. Where was Tang first subjected to racial prejudice?
4. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
5. Who did Albert Thao's family get to protect him from harm?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)