|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
2. What role did the leading figure of the Committee to Defend the Peace, Dr. Pham Van Huyen, play in Diem's government in 1954?
(a) Comissioner of refugees.
(b) Head of state.
(c) Professor of historical societies.
(d) Chief judicial adviser.
3. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
(a) Diem would hold fair elections in Vietnam.
(b) He was a puppet for the Americans.
(c) He was a strong, independent leader.
(d) He was moving toward peaceful unification of north and south.
4. What did Tang's wife ultimately do about her marriage in Chapter 3?
(a) She returned to Tang and had her child.
(b) She commited suicide.
(c) She left the marriage to obey her father.
(d) She stayed married to Tang through letters.
5. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
(a) A history of South Vietnam.
(b) A communist manifesto.
(c) A novel based on Vietnamese struggles.
(d) A French-Vietnamese dictionary.
6. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
(b) The tribespeople from the mountains.
(c) The French.
(d) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
7. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
(a) The food had run out.
(b) There was an army attack on the headquarters.
(c) The men were rioting.
(d) They were celebrating the Tet Mau Than, the lunar new year.
8. Why did Tang and his compatriots refuse the radio being offered to them by the Americans readying them for a prisoner exchange?
(a) Radios were considered disrespectful in their religion.
(b) They thought it might contain an electronic homing device.
(c) They did not want any gifts from the enemy.
(d) They feared it might contain a bomb.
9. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
(b) Disgustingly dirty.
(c) Quite bearable.
10. What did Tang's grandfather teach his clan each Sunday?
(a) The elements of political regimes.
(b) How to achieve artistic development.
(c) A proper Vietnamese diet.
(d) The precepts of Confucian ethics.
11. What did Tang suspect about the historical documents used in the infancy of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
(a) They were poorly devised.
(b) They were written by spies from Diem's regime.
(c) There might be copyright infringement problems in the future.
(d) They were entwined with Ho Chi Minh's overall political insights.
12. Where did President Thao lead the alliance delegation in the spring of 1969?
(a) A visit to Hanoi.
(b) A meeting with President Johnson.
(c) A skirmish with the secret police in Saigon.
(d) To the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
13. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
(a) A sign of peace for the South.
(b) The flag of the Vietcong.
(c) The flag that anti-Vietnam War demonstrators in America displayed.
(d) A flag used on Diem's coffin.
14. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
(c) Loss of face.
15. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
(a) The Alliance.
(b) The Vanguard Youth.
(c) The Neighborhood Contingent.
(d) Ho Chi Minh's Men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
2. Who was Ngo Dinh Nhu?
3. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
4. Why were Tang and a fellow pharmacy student, Miss Ly, chosen to have tea with Ho Chi Minh?
5. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)