|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
(a) They were celebrating the Tet Mau Than, the lunar new year.
(b) The food had run out.
(c) The men were rioting.
(d) There was an army attack on the headquarters.
2. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) Hot peppers.
(b) Strong vodka.
(c) A mild acid.
(d) Soapy water.
3. What did Tang's wife ultimately do about her marriage in Chapter 3?
(a) She left the marriage to obey her father.
(b) She stayed married to Tang through letters.
(c) She returned to Tang and had her child.
(d) She commited suicide.
4. How did Tang meet his second wife?
(a) They met in the Cai Lay region.
(b) A colleague introduced them.
(c) They had both joined the resistance.
(d) His father set them up together.
5. What event pushed aside Tang's trepidations concerning military action against Diem?
(a) Politcal action would be enough to push Diem aside.
(b) The Americans decided to discontinue their relationship with Diem.
(c) The northern government announced its readiness to act to liberate the south.
(d) Tang believed a military victory could be possible.
6. What did some local Mytho guerillas do to Albert Thao?
(a) Threw him into the river to drown.
(b) Threatened his family with death.
(c) Shot him on the spot.
(d) Recruited him as a spy.
7. What was the best-known Ho Chi Minh slogan?
(a) "Our country was doubly exploited."
(b) "The people have come together in a struggle for national liberation."
(c) "Nothing is more precious than independence and liberty."
(d) "Use your knowledge to build the future of our country."
8. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
(a) He refused to let Thao take refuge with him.
(b) He was sent to America as a diplomat.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He left the NLF for good.
9. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
(a) Chief Opearting Officer.
(b) Head Accountant.
(c) Public Relations Manager.
(d) Director General.
10. What did Ho Chi Minh see Madame Thao doing when he entered the house of the alliance delegation?
(a) Getting dressed.
(b) Arguing with her husband.
(c) Putting on makeup.
(d) Preparing dinner.
11. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
(a) The Neighborhood Contingent.
(b) The Alliance.
(c) Ho Chi Minh's Men.
(d) The Vanguard Youth.
12. What was the turning point for those who finally decided to take political action and join the Alliance of National, Democratic and Peace Forces?
(a) The violence of Tet.
(b) The coup in Saigon.
(c) The threat of nuclear warfare.
(d) The American's involvement in Vietnam.
13. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
14. What did Tang's grandfather teach his clan each Sunday?
(a) How to achieve artistic development.
(b) The elements of political regimes.
(c) The precepts of Confucian ethics.
(d) A proper Vietnamese diet.
15. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
(a) Tang's wife.
(b) Albert Tho.
(c) Lien's husband.
(d) Le Duc Tho's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
2. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
3. Why was Tang's wife allowed to visit Tang when he was imprisoned by the secret police and tortured?
4. What job did Tang take at the end of Chapter 5?
5. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)