|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
(a) Diem wanted the villagers to recognize his power.
(b) To gain control of the guerrilla troops.
(c) To relocate populations into more modern, better housing for their own good.
(d) To make the tribespeople more accessible to government control.
2. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
(a) The northern army was close to winning the war.
(b) The Americans were trading prisoners of Chinese ethnicity.
(c) Everyone was destined for execution.
(d) Madame Dang's disappearance and two prisoner executions.
3. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
(a) He was a puppet for the Americans.
(b) Diem would hold fair elections in Vietnam.
(c) He was a strong, independent leader.
(d) He was moving toward peaceful unification of north and south.
4. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
(a) Trinh Dinh Thao.
(b) Nguyen Huu Tho.
(c) Tran Kim Quan.
(d) Michael Van Vi.
5. How did Ho Chi Minh ask Tang and his fellow students to refer to him?
(a) As Mr. President.
(b) As Uncle Ho.
(c) As Sir.
(d) As Mr. Minh.
6. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
7. Why did Tang's early mobilization committee in Chapter 7 send Nguyen Van Hieu to Hanoi?
(a) To discuss assassination plans for Diem.
(b) To plan a mass emigration to America.
(c) To rid themselves of Hieu.
(d) To gain support from their Northern compatriots.
8. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
(a) Jailing and execution of communist sympathizers.
(b) Nhu's revolutionary movement.
(c) A well-organized center of Diem's opposition.
(d) Diem's long run for political office.
9. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
(a) They would accept Communist victory.
(b) They would become bitter enemies.
(c) They would not abandon him.
(d) They would step up the war to involve more countries.
10. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
(a) Chances for a peaceful, negotiated settlement would vanish.
(b) The Chinese would then become involved.
(c) They had no firearms for a counterattack.
(d) A nuclear bomb attack was anticipated.
11. In Chapter 3, what did Tang become more and more involved with in Paris?
(a) His pharmacy studies.
(b) Agitation against the war.
(c) His fiance from Vietnam.
(d) British culture.
12. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
13. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) Hot peppers.
(b) Strong vodka.
(c) A mild acid.
(d) Soapy water.
14. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
(a) Family cocoon.
(b) Wealthy communists.
(c) Family of eight.
(d) Protected isolation.
15. Who did Bao Dai name as Prime Minister?
(a) Vo Nguyen Giap.
(b) Ngo Dinh Diem.
(c) Chau Van Tiep.
(d) Zhou En-Lai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Nguyen Huu Tho when Phat's men attempted to liberate him from prison?
2. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
3. What did Tang's grandfather teach his clan each Sunday?
4. What was the best-known Ho Chi Minh slogan?
5. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)