|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
2. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
(a) To threaten him with violence.
(b) To persuade Tang to return home immediately.
(c) So Tang and she can marry.
(d) To give him grandchildren quickly.
3. Who did Tang's wife end up bribing in order to get Tang transferred to the national police headquarters?
(a) The butcher.
(c) Ba Tra.
(d) Prime Minister Quat.
4. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
(a) The food had run out.
(b) The men were rioting.
(c) They were celebrating the Tet Mau Than, the lunar new year.
(d) There was an army attack on the headquarters.
5. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
(a) Ho Chi Minh's Youth.
(b) The Vanguard Youth.
(c) The Youth Movement.
(d) Young People's Association of South Vietnam.
6. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
(a) He escaped to England.
(b) He reacquainted himself with Ho Chi Minh.
(c) He joined the national navy.
(d) He showed up for active duty.
7. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) A mild acid.
(b) Strong vodka.
(c) Soapy water.
(d) Hot peppers.
8. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
9. Where did President Thao lead the alliance delegation in the spring of 1969?
(a) To the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(b) A skirmish with the secret police in Saigon.
(c) A meeting with President Johnson.
(d) A visit to Hanoi.
10. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
(a) Trinh Dinh Thao.
(b) Tran Kim Quan.
(c) Nguyen Huu Tho.
(d) Michael Van Vi.
11. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
(a) The Vanguard Youth.
(b) The Neighborhood Contingent.
(c) Ho Chi Minh's Men.
(d) The Alliance.
12. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
(a) The French and the Chinese were fighting the Vietnamese.
(b) France had used Vietnam as a slave state.
(c) France had always been Vietnam's ally.
(d) The French were helping Vietnam to develop the country.
13. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
(a) The Diem regime's power.
(b) Their involvement with the NLF.
(c) The American government.
(d) Tran Van Don's French ties.
14. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
(a) Quite bearable.
(c) Disgustingly dirty.
15. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) She informed the foreign press of Tang's prediciment.
(b) She divorced him in hopes he would fight to be released.
(c) She wrote a letter to the president.
(d) She bribed the tribunal president.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang's wife ultimately do about her marriage in Chapter 3?
2. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
3. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
4. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
5. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)