|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
(a) To Hanoi.
(b) A restaurant in Saigon.
(c) Police headquarters.
(d) To the airport.
2. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
(a) To give him grandchildren quickly.
(b) To persuade Tang to return home immediately.
(c) So Tang and she can marry.
(d) To threaten him with violence.
3. What did Tang's father decide to do when violence began to erupt in Saigon in 1945?
(a) Ship his sons off to Paris.
(b) Evacuate the family to the provinces.
(c) Join the armed forces.
(d) Move the family to Thailand.
4. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
(a) Le Duc Tho's brother.
(b) Lien's husband.
(c) Tang's wife.
(d) Albert Tho.
5. What was the turning point for those who finally decided to take political action and join the Alliance of National, Democratic and Peace Forces?
(a) The threat of nuclear warfare.
(b) The violence of Tet.
(c) The American's involvement in Vietnam.
(d) The coup in Saigon.
6. What event pushed aside Tang's trepidations concerning military action against Diem?
(a) The Americans decided to discontinue their relationship with Diem.
(b) The northern government announced its readiness to act to liberate the south.
(c) Tang believed a military victory could be possible.
(d) Politcal action would be enough to push Diem aside.
7. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
(a) The French and the Chinese were fighting the Vietnamese.
(b) France had used Vietnam as a slave state.
(c) The French were helping Vietnam to develop the country.
(d) France had always been Vietnam's ally.
8. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
(a) Young People's Association of South Vietnam.
(b) The Vanguard Youth.
(c) The Youth Movement.
(d) Ho Chi Minh's Youth.
9. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
(a) His school teacher.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His eldest brother.
(d) His father.
10. What was one of the main tenets of Tang's manifesto for the self-determination movement?
(a) People living in villages would move to the mountains.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge should resign from office.
(c) America should not intervene in Vietnam.
(d) Ho Chi Minh would be allowed to lead North and South Vietnam.
11. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
(a) He was weak and sickly.
(b) He was inappropriately dressed for the occasion.
(c) He blended in with the other dignitaries.
(d) He was dignified and strong.
12. What did the underground resistance Tang was involved with eventually evolve into?
(a) The Provisional Revolutionary Government.
(b) The North Vietnamese Army.
(c) The National Liberation Front.
(d) The Demilitarized Zone.
13. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
(a) Ho Chi Minh.
(b) The NLF.
(c) The army rebellion led by Van Don.
(d) General Khanh's rebellion.
14. Where did the leadership of the North place its focus in the 1966 resolution?
(a) Upon young people.
(b) On getting better weaponry.
(c) On Tang, himself.
(d) On mobilizing the masses.
15. What is COSVN which is described in Chapter 11?
(a) The Northern Vietnamese army forces.
(b) The National Liberation Front system.
(c) A leadership group made up of delegates from the Worker's Party.
(d) The North Vietnamese politburo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
2. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
3. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
4. What did Tang do in regards to his pharmaceutical studies in Chapter 3?
5. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)