|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tang meet his second wife?
(a) They had both joined the resistance.
(b) A colleague introduced them.
(c) They met in the Cai Lay region.
(d) His father set them up together.
2. What was one of the main tenets of Tang's manifesto for the self-determination movement?
(a) Ho Chi Minh would be allowed to lead North and South Vietnam.
(b) People living in villages would move to the mountains.
(c) America should not intervene in Vietnam.
(d) Henry Cabot Lodge should resign from office.
3. In Chapter 3, what did Tang become more and more involved with in Paris?
(a) His pharmacy studies.
(b) Agitation against the war.
(c) His fiance from Vietnam.
(d) British culture.
4. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
(a) Ho Chi Minh.
(b) The army rebellion led by Van Don.
(c) General Khanh's rebellion.
(d) The NLF.
5. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
(a) To threaten him with violence.
(b) To persuade Tang to return home immediately.
(c) So Tang and she can marry.
(d) To give him grandchildren quickly.
6. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
(a) The Alliance.
(b) The Vanguard Youth.
(c) The Neighborhood Contingent.
(d) Ho Chi Minh's Men.
7. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
(b) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
(c) The French.
(d) The tribespeople from the mountains.
8. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
(a) The national sugar company.
(b) The self-determination movement.
(c) The Saigon government.
(d) The NLF.
9. What occurred on November 11, 1960?
(a) Diem's fears of a revolt were realized.
(b) Albert Thao was discovered to be a spy.
(c) Khiem refuseed to stop a revolt.
(d) Diem's brother, Nhu, was killed.
10. What was the first job Tang got in France after his parents stopped sending him money?
(b) Political Assistant.
(c) Bus Driver.
11. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
(a) Madame Dang's disappearance and two prisoner executions.
(b) The northern army was close to winning the war.
(c) Everyone was destined for execution.
(d) The Americans were trading prisoners of Chinese ethnicity.
12. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
(a) They would accept Communist victory.
(b) They would step up the war to involve more countries.
(c) They would become bitter enemies.
(d) They would not abandon him.
13. Why did Tang and his compatriots refuse the radio being offered to them by the Americans readying them for a prisoner exchange?
(a) They feared it might contain a bomb.
(b) They thought it might contain an electronic homing device.
(c) They did not want any gifts from the enemy.
(d) Radios were considered disrespectful in their religion.
14. What is COSVN which is described in Chapter 11?
(a) The Northern Vietnamese army forces.
(b) The North Vietnamese politburo.
(c) A leadership group made up of delegates from the Worker's Party.
(d) The National Liberation Front system.
15. What was the official name of the Vietnamese Communist Party?
(a) Lao Dong.
(b) National Liberation Front.
(c) To Cong.
(d) Tran Buu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
2. Who did Tang's father allow his sons to interact with outside of the home?
3. Who was Tao Thao?
4. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
5. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)