|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His eldest brother.
(d) His school teacher.
2. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
(a) Diem bombed the area.
(b) Villages were set up there to control the people.
(c) The Vietcong could not infiltrate the area.
(d) Albert Thao became its province chief.
3. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
(a) The Saigon government.
(b) The national sugar company.
(c) The self-determination movement.
(d) The NLF.
4. What did Tang's wife ultimately do about her marriage in Chapter 3?
(a) She left the marriage to obey her father.
(b) She returned to Tang and had her child.
(c) She stayed married to Tang through letters.
(d) She commited suicide.
5. What was Chi Hoa?
(a) A prison.
(b) A political meeting place.
(c) Tang's wife's name.
(d) Tang's sugar company.
6. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
(a) To Hanoi.
(b) A restaurant in Saigon.
(c) To the airport.
(d) Police headquarters.
7. What did the underground resistance Tang was involved with eventually evolve into?
(a) The Provisional Revolutionary Government.
(b) The National Liberation Front.
(c) The North Vietnamese Army.
(d) The Demilitarized Zone.
8. Who did Albert Thao's family get to protect him from harm?
(a) Tang's family.
(c) Bishop Thuc.
(d) Vinh Long.
9. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
(a) The men were rioting.
(b) The food had run out.
(c) There was an army attack on the headquarters.
(d) They were celebrating the Tet Mau Than, the lunar new year.
10. What was Diem preoccupied with throughout his regime?
(a) The farmers and villages.
(c) His brother's welfare.
(d) Internal disloyalty.
11. When Tang was in solitary confinement in the national police headquarters, what saved him from lapsing into permanent catatonia?
(a) The books he was given to read.
(b) The end of torture.
(c) The prison grapevine.
(d) The twice-daily meals.
12. The moment Tang or any of his brothers displayed a weakness in any school subject, what did Tang's father do?
(a) Employ a tutor.
(b) Restrict their activities.
(c) Teach them himself.
(d) Punish them.
13. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
(a) Diem would hold fair elections in Vietnam.
(b) He was moving toward peaceful unification of north and south.
(c) He was a strong, independent leader.
(d) He was a puppet for the Americans.
14. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
(a) Tran Kim Quan.
(b) Nguyen Huu Tho.
(c) Trinh Dinh Thao.
(d) Michael Van Vi.
15. Which of the following was NOT an objective of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
(a) Bring unity to the different classes of people in the South.
(b) Build an independent economy.
(c) Overthrow the Diem regime.
(d) Bring in American advisers to help with the movement's actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
2. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
3. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
4. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
5. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)