|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Tang's wife allowed to visit Tang when he was imprisoned by the secret police and tortured?
(a) She would be arrested also.
(b) She agreed to encourage him to sign an admission of guilt.
(c) The police wished to torture her also, in front of Tang.
(d) The rules called for family visitors.
2. Who was Ngo Dinh Nhu?
(a) Prime Minister of Vietnam.
(b) Organizer of the National Liberation Front.
(c) A teacher at Saigon University.
(d) Leader of the National Revolutionary Movement.
3. When Tang was in solitary confinement in the national police headquarters, what saved him from lapsing into permanent catatonia?
(a) The prison grapevine.
(b) The twice-daily meals.
(c) The end of torture.
(d) The books he was given to read.
4. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
(a) To make the tribespeople more accessible to government control.
(b) Diem wanted the villagers to recognize his power.
(c) To gain control of the guerrilla troops.
(d) To relocate populations into more modern, better housing for their own good.
5. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
(a) Warfare and peace, peace and warfare.
(b) Invasion and power, power and invasion.
(c) Freedom and slavery, slavery and freedom.
(d) Fighting and talking, talking and fighting.
6. What job did Tang take at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Head of the Revolutionary Committee.
(b) Law Professor at Saigon University.
(c) Chief Comptroller for the Industry and Commerce Bank of Vietnam.
(d) Commissioner of Naval Supplies in Toulon.
7. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
(a) He left the NLF for good.
(b) He was sent to America as a diplomat.
(c) He refused to let Thao take refuge with him.
(d) He was arrested.
8. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
(a) Villages were set up there to control the people.
(b) The Vietcong could not infiltrate the area.
(c) Diem bombed the area.
(d) Albert Thao became its province chief.
9. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
(a) The Vanguard Youth.
(b) Ho Chi Minh's Youth.
(c) Young People's Association of South Vietnam.
(d) The Youth Movement.
10. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
(a) A restaurant in Saigon.
(b) To Hanoi.
(c) Police headquarters.
(d) To the airport.
11. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) The Tet Offensive.
(b) The Fourth Republic.
(c) Vietnamese independence.
(d) The French Revolution.
12. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
(a) The guards were murdered one by one.
(b) Phat's men lured the guards away with liquor.
(c) The prison turned out to be unmanned by guards.
(d) The guard's relatives called them away with various family emergencies.
13. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
14. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
(a) Disgustingly dirty.
(b) Quite bearable.
15. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
(b) The tribespeople from the mountains.
(c) The French.
(d) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ho Chi Minh explained Vietnamese history to Tang, what did he say about the French?
2. What prevented Tang from attending the First National Congress in 1962?
3. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
4. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
5. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)