|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
(a) His father.
(b) His school teacher.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His eldest brother.
2. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
(a) Everyone was destined for execution.
(b) The Americans were trading prisoners of Chinese ethnicity.
(c) The northern army was close to winning the war.
(d) Madame Dang's disappearance and two prisoner executions.
3. What was Chi Hoa?
(a) Tang's wife's name.
(b) Tang's sugar company.
(c) A prison.
(d) A political meeting place.
4. What was the first job Tang got in France after his parents stopped sending him money?
(a) Political Assistant.
(c) Bus Driver.
5. Who was Tao Thao?
(a) A legendary king in China.
(b) A refugee from the South.
(c) A North Vietnamese general.
(d) An enemy of the alliance.
6. What did Tang's wife ultimately do about her marriage in Chapter 3?
(a) She left the marriage to obey her father.
(b) She stayed married to Tang through letters.
(c) She returned to Tang and had her child.
(d) She commited suicide.
7. What was the best-known Ho Chi Minh slogan?
(a) "Use your knowledge to build the future of our country."
(b) "Our country was doubly exploited."
(c) "The people have come together in a struggle for national liberation."
(d) "Nothing is more precious than independence and liberty."
8. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
9. What role did the leading figure of the Committee to Defend the Peace, Dr. Pham Van Huyen, play in Diem's government in 1954?
(a) Comissioner of refugees.
(b) Head of state.
(c) Professor of historical societies.
(d) Chief judicial adviser.
10. Why did the NLF Committee meet in 1961 during Tet?
(a) It was the best seasonal weather.
(b) Members could bring their family with them if desired.
(c) So the members could meet during a celebratory time of year.
(d) Government security would be lax at that time.
11. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) She bribed the tribunal president.
(b) She divorced him in hopes he would fight to be released.
(c) She informed the foreign press of Tang's prediciment.
(d) She wrote a letter to the president.
12. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
(b) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
(c) The French.
(d) The tribespeople from the mountains.
13. Where was Tang first subjected to racial prejudice?
(a) In school.
(b) During the war.
(c) In America.
(d) In Europe.
14. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
(a) Diem's long run for political office.
(b) Nhu's revolutionary movement.
(c) A well-organized center of Diem's opposition.
(d) Jailing and execution of communist sympathizers.
15. Where was Nguyen Huu Tho when Phat's men attempted to liberate him from prison?
(a) Having a private visit with his family in a government compound.
(b) Standing near the front entrance.
(c) Inside the prison house, waiting for them.
(d) He had been executed already.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Albert Thao become a trusted member of Diem's administration?
2. Which of the following was NOT an objective of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
3. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
4. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
5. What job did Tang take at the Societe Sucriere?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)