|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
(a) A novel based on Vietnamese struggles.
(b) A history of South Vietnam.
(c) A French-Vietnamese dictionary.
(d) A communist manifesto.
2. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) She bribed the tribunal president.
(b) She informed the foreign press of Tang's prediciment.
(c) She divorced him in hopes he would fight to be released.
(d) She wrote a letter to the president.
3. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
(a) Tran Van Don's French ties.
(b) The Diem regime's power.
(c) The American government.
(d) Their involvement with the NLF.
4. What is meant by the "Three Kingdoms"?
(a) A Vietnamese moral tale.
(b) A respectful way to end the war.
(c) The main Vietnamese religion.
(d) The story behind the founding of the NLF.
5. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
(a) He was dignified and strong.
(b) He was inappropriately dressed for the occasion.
(c) He was weak and sickly.
(d) He blended in with the other dignitaries.
6. What event pushed aside Tang's trepidations concerning military action against Diem?
(a) Politcal action would be enough to push Diem aside.
(b) The Americans decided to discontinue their relationship with Diem.
(c) Tang believed a military victory could be possible.
(d) The northern government announced its readiness to act to liberate the south.
7. What happened to Diem and Nhu during the coup in Chapter 6?
(a) They were killed outside a church.
(b) They begged for their lives inside the Palace.
(c) They were able to subdue the coup and retake control.
(d) They were imprisoned in Saigon.
8. What did Tang's father ask him in a letter towards the end of 1951?
(a) To return to his ex-wife and child.
(b) To return home and help him financially.
(c) For forgiveness.
(d) To join the army and fight for Saigon.
9. Who did Tang's wife end up bribing in order to get Tang transferred to the national police headquarters?
(a) The butcher.
(b) Ba Tra.
(c) Prime Minister Quat.
10. What did Ho Chi Minh give Tang at the end of their afternoon tea together at Montmorency?
(a) An autographed photograph.
(b) A book of Vietnamese history.
(c) A teacup momento.
(d) A recital of Confucianist sayings.
11. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
12. How did Albert Thao capitalize on his role of investigating army officers for disloyalty to Diem?
(a) He would plan a coup in this way.
(b) He did not have to work very hard.
(c) He was able to spy on anyone he pleased.
(d) He developed relationships with prominent military figures.
13. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
(a) His father.
(b) His eldest brother.
(c) His school teacher.
(d) His grandfather.
14. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
(a) Jailing and execution of communist sympathizers.
(b) A well-organized center of Diem's opposition.
(c) Diem's long run for political office.
(d) Nhu's revolutionary movement.
15. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
(a) Phat's men lured the guards away with liquor.
(b) The guard's relatives called them away with various family emergencies.
(c) The prison turned out to be unmanned by guards.
(d) The guards were murdered one by one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "tin," a basic ethical principle in Confucianism, refer to?
2. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
3. Who did Albert Thao's family get to protect him from harm?
4. What job did Tang take at the end of Chapter 5?
5. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)