|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
(a) A well-organized center of Diem's opposition.
(b) Diem's long run for political office.
(c) Jailing and execution of communist sympathizers.
(d) Nhu's revolutionary movement.
2. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
(a) The NLF.
(b) The Saigon government.
(c) The self-determination movement.
(d) The national sugar company.
3. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
(b) The tribespeople from the mountains.
(c) The French.
(d) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
4. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
(a) Albert Tho.
(b) Lien's husband.
(c) Le Duc Tho's brother.
(d) Tang's wife.
5. What did Tang's pregnant wife do when both fathers demanded the couple return home?
(a) She returned home alone.
(b) She persuaded Tang to return home with her.
(c) She stayed with her husband in France.
(d) She aborted her baby and stayed in France.
6. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
(a) To persuade Tang to return home immediately.
(b) So Tang and she can marry.
(c) To threaten him with violence.
(d) To give him grandchildren quickly.
7. What was Thanh Nghi famous for writing?
(a) A communist manifesto.
(b) A novel based on Vietnamese struggles.
(c) A French-Vietnamese dictionary.
(d) A history of South Vietnam.
8. Who did the U.S. government signal its willingness to support upon abandoning its support of Diem in the early 1960s?
(a) The army rebellion led by Van Don.
(b) General Khanh's rebellion.
(c) The NLF.
(d) Ho Chi Minh.
9. What did Tang's grandfather teach his clan each Sunday?
(a) The elements of political regimes.
(b) The precepts of Confucian ethics.
(c) A proper Vietnamese diet.
(d) How to achieve artistic development.
10. What was one of the main tenets of Tang's manifesto for the self-determination movement?
(a) America should not intervene in Vietnam.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge should resign from office.
(c) People living in villages would move to the mountains.
(d) Ho Chi Minh would be allowed to lead North and South Vietnam.
11. Why did the NLF Committee meet in 1961 during Tet?
(a) So the members could meet during a celebratory time of year.
(b) Members could bring their family with them if desired.
(c) Government security would be lax at that time.
(d) It was the best seasonal weather.
12. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
(a) A sign of peace for the South.
(b) The flag of the Vietcong.
(c) The flag that anti-Vietnam War demonstrators in America displayed.
(d) A flag used on Diem's coffin.
13. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
(a) Madame Dang's disappearance and two prisoner executions.
(b) The northern army was close to winning the war.
(c) The Americans were trading prisoners of Chinese ethnicity.
(d) Everyone was destined for execution.
14. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
(a) They would become bitter enemies.
(b) They would not abandon him.
(c) They would step up the war to involve more countries.
(d) They would accept Communist victory.
15. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) The Fourth Republic.
(b) The Tet Offensive.
(c) Vietnamese independence.
(d) The French Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
2. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
3. Why were the Montagnards' village populations forced by Diem's troops out of the mountains and into the valleys, separating them from their ancestral lands and graves?
4. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
5. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)