|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
(a) Police headquarters.
(b) A restaurant in Saigon.
(c) To Hanoi.
(d) To the airport.
2. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
(a) A nuclear bomb attack was anticipated.
(b) They had no firearms for a counterattack.
(c) Chances for a peaceful, negotiated settlement would vanish.
(d) The Chinese would then become involved.
3. What punishment did the tribunal bestow upon Tang, besides prison, that may have interfered deeply with Tang's credibility within Vietnamese society?
(a) His driver's license was revoked.
(b) A hefty monetary fine.
(c) A newspaper editorial.
(d) Suspension from his job.
4. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
(a) The Americans were trading prisoners of Chinese ethnicity.
(b) Everyone was destined for execution.
(c) The northern army was close to winning the war.
(d) Madame Dang's disappearance and two prisoner executions.
5. What did Tang suspect about the historical documents used in the infancy of the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam?
(a) They were written by spies from Diem's regime.
(b) They were entwined with Ho Chi Minh's overall political insights.
(c) There might be copyright infringement problems in the future.
(d) They were poorly devised.
6. What school subject did Tang enjoy more so than chemistry?
7. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
(a) The self-determination movement.
(b) The Saigon government.
(c) The NLF.
(d) The national sugar company.
8. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
(a) Villages were set up there to control the people.
(b) The Vietcong could not infiltrate the area.
(c) Diem bombed the area.
(d) Albert Thao became its province chief.
9. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
10. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
(a) They would become bitter enemies.
(b) They would not abandon him.
(c) They would accept Communist victory.
(d) They would step up the war to involve more countries.
11. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) A mild acid.
(b) Soapy water.
(c) Hot peppers.
(d) Strong vodka.
12. What did Tang do in regards to his pharmaceutical studies in Chapter 3?
(a) He added political science on as a double major.
(b) He graduated and moved on to other things.
(c) He failed the courses.
(d) He abandoned them.
13. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
(a) The guards were murdered one by one.
(b) Phat's men lured the guards away with liquor.
(c) The prison turned out to be unmanned by guards.
(d) The guard's relatives called them away with various family emergencies.
14. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
(a) The flag of the Vietcong.
(b) A flag used on Diem's coffin.
(c) The flag that anti-Vietnam War demonstrators in America displayed.
(d) A sign of peace for the South.
15. Who was Tao Thao?
(a) An enemy of the alliance.
(b) A legendary king in China.
(c) A North Vietnamese general.
(d) A refugee from the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Tang's wife end up bribing in order to get Tang transferred to the national police headquarters?
2. What did Tang do when he was drafted by the Bao Dai government?
3. Who did Ho Chi Minh remind Tang of?
4. What is COSVN which is described in Chapter 11?
5. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)