|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He was sent to America as a diplomat.
(c) He left the NLF for good.
(d) He refused to let Thao take refuge with him.
2. Who did Tang's small group meet by chance when they were dropped off near a jungle path on a prisoner exchange mission in Chapter 11?
(a) Tang's wife.
(b) Lien's husband.
(c) Albert Tho.
(d) Le Duc Tho's brother.
3. What did Tang's wife do to help lessen his prison sentence in Chapter 9?
(a) She wrote a letter to the president.
(b) She divorced him in hopes he would fight to be released.
(c) She bribed the tribunal president.
(d) She informed the foreign press of Tang's prediciment.
4. Why was the Northern Vietnamese government fearful of American involvement in the fighting in Vietnam in the early 1960s?
(a) The Chinese would then become involved.
(b) A nuclear bomb attack was anticipated.
(c) They had no firearms for a counterattack.
(d) Chances for a peaceful, negotiated settlement would vanish.
5. What was the official name of the Vietnamese Communist Party?
(a) To Cong.
(b) Tran Buu.
(c) Lao Dong.
(d) National Liberation Front.
6. What was Diem preoccupied with throughout his regime?
(a) The farmers and villages.
(b) His brother's welfare.
(d) Internal disloyalty.
7. What did the underground resistance Tang was involved with eventually evolve into?
(a) The North Vietnamese Army.
(b) The Demilitarized Zone.
(c) The National Liberation Front.
(d) The Provisional Revolutionary Government.
8. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do when he discovered a prisoner exchange being negotiated between the Americans and the North?
(a) He told the Americans to pull out of his country.
(b) He resigned his position.
(c) He was in favor of the program and promoted it.
(d) He had Sau Ha, Dang's deputy, arrested.
9. What religion was Ngo Dinh Diem connected with?
10. What occurred on November 11, 1960?
(a) Diem's fears of a revolt were realized.
(b) Diem's brother, Nhu, was killed.
(c) Albert Thao was discovered to be a spy.
(d) Khiem refuseed to stop a revolt.
11. What were Agrovilles?
(a) A capitalistic branch of society.
(b) A government project of self-contained villages.
(c) Villages in which to house captured enemies.
(d) A method of increasing revenue for farmers.
12. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) Hot peppers.
(b) Soapy water.
(c) A mild acid.
(d) Strong vodka.
13. How did Tang meet his second wife?
(a) They had both joined the resistance.
(b) A colleague introduced them.
(c) His father set them up together.
(d) They met in the Cai Lay region.
14. How did Ho Chi Minh ask Tang and his fellow students to refer to him?
(a) As Mr. President.
(b) As Mr. Minh.
(c) As Uncle Ho.
(d) As Sir.
15. What did Nguyen Van Thieu expect of Nixon and Kissinger as indicated in Chapter 12?
(a) They would step up the war to involve more countries.
(b) They would become bitter enemies.
(c) They would accept Communist victory.
(d) They would not abandon him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some local Mytho guerillas do to Albert Thao?
2. What group was Tang named as president of at the age of forty-three?
3. What did the flag devised for the National Liberation Front of South Vietnam later become famous as?
4. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
5. What prevented Tang from attending the First National Congress in 1962?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)