|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tang met Ho Chi Minh, what was his first impression of the president?
(a) He was dignified and strong.
(b) He was weak and sickly.
(c) He blended in with the other dignitaries.
(d) He was inappropriately dressed for the occasion.
2. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
(a) He was a strong, independent leader.
(b) He was moving toward peaceful unification of north and south.
(c) Diem would hold fair elections in Vietnam.
(d) He was a puppet for the Americans.
3. What was the meaning of "Danh va dam, dam va dahn"'?
(a) Invasion and power, power and invasion.
(b) Fighting and talking, talking and fighting.
(c) Warfare and peace, peace and warfare.
(d) Freedom and slavery, slavery and freedom.
4. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
(a) Police headquarters.
(b) To the airport.
(c) To Hanoi.
(d) A restaurant in Saigon.
5. What was the best-known Ho Chi Minh slogan?
(a) "Nothing is more precious than independence and liberty."
(b) "The people have come together in a struggle for national liberation."
(c) "Use your knowledge to build the future of our country."
(d) "Our country was doubly exploited."
6. What became the chief news item on the prison grapevine after an ethnic Chinese labor leader was shot by prison guards and survived her wounds?
(a) The Americans were trading prisoners of Chinese ethnicity.
(b) Madame Dang's disappearance and two prisoner executions.
(c) The northern army was close to winning the war.
(d) Everyone was destined for execution.
7. How did Tang find his time in jail to be?
(c) Disgustingly dirty.
(d) Quite bearable.
8. After the overthrow of Diem, what did Tang become director-general of?
(a) The national sugar company.
(b) The NLF.
(c) The Saigon government.
(d) The self-determination movement.
9. What career did Tang's father decide Tang should pursue?
10. Where did the leadership of the North place its focus in the 1966 resolution?
(a) On mobilizing the masses.
(b) Upon young people.
(c) On Tang, himself.
(d) On getting better weaponry.
11. What was Tang forced to swallow during his imprisonment in Chapter 10, damaging his digestive system?
(a) Strong vodka.
(b) Soapy water.
(c) A mild acid.
(d) Hot peppers.
12. What did Tang's father threaten to do in Chapter 3?
(a) Restrict his passport.
(b) Stop sending him new clothing.
(c) Cut off Tang's funds.
(d) Commit suicide out of shame.
13. In Chapter 3, what did Tang become more and more involved with in Paris?
(a) His pharmacy studies.
(b) Agitation against the war.
(c) His fiance from Vietnam.
(d) British culture.
14. What military position did Diem assign to Albert Thao?
15. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
(a) The American government.
(b) Their involvement with the NLF.
(c) Tran Van Don's French ties.
(d) The Diem regime's power.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bao Dai name as Prime Minister?
2. Who was the first choice for a leader of the South Vietnamese nationalist movement, though he did not accept the role?
3. What term does Truong Nhu Tang use to describe his childhood?
4. Why did the province of Ben Tre become peaceful as opposed to its violent reputation?
5. What happened to Tang ten days before Albert Thao attempted a coup on Khan's regime?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)