|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of 1958, who were basically the only people who supported Diem's regime?
(a) Northern Catholic refugees and those who profited from Diem's schemes.
(b) The French.
(c) Nationalist-minded Vietnamese.
(d) The tribespeople from the mountains.
2. Who was Tao Thao?
(a) A refugee from the South.
(b) An enemy of the alliance.
(c) A legendary king in China.
(d) A North Vietnamese general.
3. What did Albert Thao and Tang finally speak to each other about in Chapter 6?
(a) Their involvement with the NLF.
(b) The Diem regime's power.
(c) Tran Van Don's French ties.
(d) The American government.
4. What did Tang do upon receiving his second draft notice?
(a) He escaped to England.
(b) He reacquainted himself with Ho Chi Minh.
(c) He showed up for active duty.
(d) He joined the national navy.
5. Who was Thuy Ba?
(a) Ho Chi Minh's wife.
(b) A Communist Party leader.
(c) The woman who would become Tang's third wife.
(d) The doctor who oversaw Tang's care after he was exchanged as a prisoner.
6. Where was Tang taken in Chapter 9 when two well-dressed men visited him at his office in the sugar company?
(a) Police headquarters.
(b) To the airport.
(c) To Hanoi.
(d) A restaurant in Saigon.
7. Why did Tang's father send Tang's fiance and her father to Paris?
(a) To threaten him with violence.
(b) So Tang and she can marry.
(c) To give him grandchildren quickly.
(d) To persuade Tang to return home immediately.
8. The moment Tang or any of his brothers displayed a weakness in any school subject, what did Tang's father do?
(a) Restrict their activities.
(b) Employ a tutor.
(c) Teach them himself.
(d) Punish them.
9. What did Albert Thao believe about Diem's leadership in Vietnam?
(a) He was a strong, independent leader.
(b) He was moving toward peaceful unification of north and south.
(c) He was a puppet for the Americans.
(d) Diem would hold fair elections in Vietnam.
10. When a revolution in Saigon took place in 1945, which group did Tang join?
(a) The Vanguard Youth.
(b) Ho Chi Minh's Men.
(c) The Alliance.
(d) The Neighborhood Contingent.
11. Why did Tang and his compatriots refuse the radio being offered to them by the Americans readying them for a prisoner exchange?
(a) They did not want any gifts from the enemy.
(b) They thought it might contain an electronic homing device.
(c) They feared it might contain a bomb.
(d) Radios were considered disrespectful in their religion.
12. Why did the guards forget to feed Tang and the other prisoners in the police headquarters for a couple of days in Chapter 11?
(a) There was an army attack on the headquarters.
(b) They were celebrating the Tet Mau Than, the lunar new year.
(c) The food had run out.
(d) The men were rioting.
13. What is COSVN which is described in Chapter 11?
(a) A leadership group made up of delegates from the Worker's Party.
(b) The Northern Vietnamese army forces.
(c) The North Vietnamese politburo.
(d) The National Liberation Front system.
14. What was the best-known Ho Chi Minh slogan?
(a) "Use your knowledge to build the future of our country."
(b) "The people have come together in a struggle for national liberation."
(c) "Our country was doubly exploited."
(d) "Nothing is more precious than independence and liberty."
15. What movement did Tang decide to join after his meeting with Ho Chi Minh?
(a) Vietnamese independence.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Tet Offensive.
(d) The Fourth Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Phat's commandos able to lure Tho's prison guards away in Chapter 7?
2. Where did the leadership of the North place its focus in the 1966 resolution?
3. Why did Tang's early mobilization committee in Chapter 7 send Nguyen Van Hieu to Hanoi?
4. What was Diem's To Cong campaign?
5. What did some local Mytho guerillas do to Albert Thao?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)