|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Strachan observe about Dr. Ferris?
2. What does Jean Paget present to Strachan when she arrives in his office?
3. What doe the Japanese soldiers do to help the group?
4. How does Jean Paget think about Harman had they met under other circumstances?
5. What does Jean assure Mat Amin bin Taib the women no longer need?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean show up in Strachan's office?
2. Why and how is Jean able to do something special for the women and children?
3. After Jean tells Strachan what happened to Joe Harman, what is Strachan's reaction and Jean's comment.
4. What hope is held out for their removal to Kuantan?
5. How does Shute show there is compassion among the Japanese?
6. Describe how Jean Paget becomes the heir to Douglas Macfadden's estate.
7. What prevents the group from marching to Singapore?
8. Describe the historical situation that brings about Jean's unusual history?
9. Briefly describe what happens after the Japanese arrive.
10. What is the Japanese solution for dealing with the women and children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how certain places or objects bring back memories, either good or bad. As a starting point, use the example of Jean seeing the tree where Harman was nailed up to die. Give examples from your personal life that trigger memories when you see or hear them. What songs were popular when you had your first steady? What place you visit that always brings back memories like your old high school, or a ball park, or an amusement park.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on human kindness. In your essay mention the few Japanese who showed some kindness toward the women and children. Also mention the Malay people and why their sympathy for the group was tempered by fear. Show how even small kindnesses may mean a great deal to the recipient. Conclude with how a kindness may result in something coming back to the giver, like the well Jean Paget had dug for the Malay women.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on modern day chivalry. Use Joe Harman to show his chivalry in Malaya in trying to make life easier for the women and children. Then show his chivalry in being protective of Jean's reputation in Willstown. Finish your essay with an evaluation of chivalry today where practices such as opening doors for women have almost gone out of use. Explain whether you think the world should return to some of that chivalry.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)