|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other ladies in the group do to follow Jean's example?
2. How does Jean Paget think about Harman had they met under other circumstances?
3. How does Harman get the supplies Jean asks for?
4. What does Jean learn at an early age that is very helpful to her during the war?
5. Beyond the annual trust funds, what is Strachan authorized to do for Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe what happens after the Japanese arrive.
2. What is Jean's reaction to the news of her inheritance?
3. When the group reaches the northeast coast of Malaya, what helps the women?
4. How does Strachan arrange to meet Jean Paget?
5. After Jean tells Strachan what happened to Joe Harman, what is Strachan's reaction and Jean's comment.
6. What suggestion from Jean meets with the approval of the villagers and the Japanese invaders?
7. Explain why N. H. Strachan decides to handle the details of administering the will?
8. What is lacking in Jean's education that Strachan enjoys supplementing?
9. Describe where the group stays in Kuala Telang?
10. What does Strachan do that hints at the fact he has more than a solicitor-client interest in Jean Paget?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on survival. Base your essay on the survival methods of Jean Paget and the women as they are marched all over Malaya. Explain what people will do to survive that they would not ordinarily do. Put yourself into a survival situation like an earthquake or famine and tell how you would prepare for the emergency and how you would handle it when it happens.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on human kindness. In your essay mention the few Japanese who showed some kindness toward the women and children. Also mention the Malay people and why their sympathy for the group was tempered by fear. Show how even small kindnesses may mean a great deal to the recipient. Conclude with how a kindness may result in something coming back to the giver, like the well Jean Paget had dug for the Malay women.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about interesting animals. Use wallabies and jackaroos as examples of animals that are uncommon to everyone except people in Australia. Include unusual animals you would like to see in their natural habitat rather than in a zoo. Conclude your essay with a scientific reason for preservation of wildlife as it relates to worldwide ecosystems.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)