|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal are they served for breakfast the first morning?
2. Who exits the large Customs launch Jean hopes will take her to singapore?
3. Up to this point in her life, what is it Jean doubts she will ever do?
4. What happens to Ben Collard, one of the boys?
5. What does Strachan observe about Dr. Ferris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is headman Mat Amin bin Taib surprised at Jean's request for food?
2. Explain why N. H. Strachan decides to handle the details of administering the will?
3. Why is Strachan more or less retired?
4. Explain the disappearance of Ellen Forbes.
5. How do Jean and the group she is with get captured by the Japanese?
6. Explain how Jean becomes the leader of the group.
7. How does the real story of the novel begin?
8. Describe the historical situation that brings about Jean's unusual history?
9. What is lacking in Jean's education that Strachan enjoys supplementing?
10. What do they have to do to get to Kuantan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on achieving your dreams. Note in your essay how Jean Paget fulfilled her dreams through hard work and good advice from others. In your essay discuss the difference between wishful thinking and dreams followed up by planning and hard work.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on human cruelty. Use the crucifixion of Joe Harman as an example of the extent some people will go to in order to harm other people. In your essay express your opinion whether most people have that ability to be cruel in them. Go into what causes some people to be cruel to others and what the results of that kind of behavior often are like the eventual disgrace of Capt. Sugamo.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on human kindness. In your essay mention the few Japanese who showed some kindness toward the women and children. Also mention the Malay people and why their sympathy for the group was tempered by fear. Show how even small kindnesses may mean a great deal to the recipient. Conclude with how a kindness may result in something coming back to the giver, like the well Jean Paget had dug for the Malay women.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)