|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the feeling at the time the Japanese first arrive in Malaya?
2. Why does Douglas Macfadden want his legacy set up as a trust for his surviving relative?
3. Seeing the suntanned Jean with a baby on her hip, what does Harman think she is?
4. When telling Jean about Donald, what does Strachan try to do?
5. What does Jean Paget present to Strachan when she arrives in his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion from Jean meets with the approval of the villagers and the Japanese invaders?
2. Explain how Jean becomes the leader of the group.
3. Describe how Jean Paget becomes the heir to Douglas Macfadden's estate.
4. Why is Strachan more or less retired?
5. Explain the disappearance of Ellen Forbes.
6. What is Jean's reaction to the news of her inheritance?
7. Why is headman Mat Amin bin Taib surprised at Jean's request for food?
8. Briefly describe what happens after the Japanese arrive.
9. What is Jean's attitude toward the time the women spent in Kuala Telang?
10. How does Jean show up in Strachan's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about interesting animals. Use wallabies and jackaroos as examples of animals that are uncommon to everyone except people in Australia. Include unusual animals you would like to see in their natural habitat rather than in a zoo. Conclude your essay with a scientific reason for preservation of wildlife as it relates to worldwide ecosystems.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on modern day chivalry. Use Joe Harman to show his chivalry in Malaya in trying to make life easier for the women and children. Then show his chivalry in being protective of Jean's reputation in Willstown. Finish your essay with an evaluation of chivalry today where practices such as opening doors for women have almost gone out of use. Explain whether you think the world should return to some of that chivalry.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about responding to emergency situations. Using the rescue of Don Curtis as an example, include how people often come together to solve problems during an emergency situation. Some examples might include ones like a man who lifts a car to rescue his child when under normal circumstances he could not do it. Either personalize your essay with an example when you responded to an emergency situation or that of a person you know who acted on impulse in such a situation. Apply your theme to being prepared to respond like taking CPR classes or water safety classes.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)