|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean buy at Ayer Penchis?
(a) potato chips
(b) beef jerky
(d) dried squid
2. What does Jean Paget present to Strachan when she arrives in his office?
(a) fresh baked biscuits
(b) a letter from her attorney
(c) proof of her identity
(d) a basket of fruit
3. Why do the Japanese agree to let the women stay and work in the fields?
(a) it will make it easier to guard them
(b) it will produce more rice for them
(c) it will teach them a lesson about obedience
(d) it will give them time to find a truck
4. How does Harman get the supplies Jean asks for?
(a) trading some Japanese petrol from the trucks
(b) stealing from a shop keeper
(c) trading his wristwatch
(d) saying the supplies are for the Japanese
5. What do the women find when they reach the highway at Maran?
(a) a convoy of Japanese soldiers
(b) more women walking to Kuantan
(c) an American prisoner working on a truck
(d) two white men working under a Japanese truck
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the villagers at Temerloh give what is left of the group?
2. What was one of Donald's medical problems in the Camp 206 hospital?
3. What helps clear up some of their skin diseases?
4. What does Mrs. Warner provide for the children?
5. Why is the Japanese sergeant disgraced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is lacking in Jean's education that Strachan enjoys supplementing?
2. What do they have to do to get to Kuantan?
3. What does Strachan do that hints at the fact he has more than a solicitor-client interest in Jean Paget?
4. Explain how Jean becomes the leader of the group.
5. What is Jean's attitude toward the time the women spent in Kuala Telang?
6. When the group reaches the northeast coast of Malaya, what helps the women?
7. When they finally come to a paved road, who do the women meet?
8. After Jean tells Strachan what happened to Joe Harman, what is Strachan's reaction and Jean's comment.
9. Who is the first casualty of the march and what effect does it have on the children.
10. Explain why N. H. Strachan decides to handle the details of administering the will?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)