|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Strachan certify Donald's death?
(a) records in the war office
(b) from the doctor at Camp 206 at the time of Donald's death
(c) newspaper clippings from the time
(d) an affidavit from friends who knew him
2. What happens to four children at Bahau?
(a) they run away
(b) they are caught stealing food
(c) they die of a fever
(d) they are taken by the Japanese
3. What does Jean buy at Ayer Penchis?
(a) potato chips
(c) beef jerky
(d) dried squid
4. Who exits the large Customs launch Jean hopes will take her to singapore?
(a) prisoners of war
(b) her father
(c) Japanese sympathizers
(d) Japanese soldiers
5. What does Dr. Ferris say relieved a bit of the grimness of Camp 206?
(a) the gentle rain in the area
(b) the entertainments brought in
(c) the beauty of Three Pagodas Pass
(d) the fresh water from a natural spring
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Donald's medical problems in the Camp 206 hospital?
2. What prevents Jean from receiving the inheritance immediately?
3. Why is it easy for Jean to get a job in Kuala Lumpur?
4. What occurs with baby Robin after the other Holland children all die?
5. By Asahan, how many of the women have died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jean Paget becomes the heir to Douglas Macfadden's estate.
2. After Jean tells Strachan what happened to Joe Harman, what is Strachan's reaction and Jean's comment.
3. Why and how is Jean able to do something special for the women and children?
4. When they finally come to a paved road, who do the women meet?
5. What is Eileen Holland's attitude when her daughter Jane dies?
6. Explain why N. H. Strachan decides to handle the details of administering the will?
7. What do they have to do to get to Kuantan?
8. What is Jean's reaction to the news of her inheritance?
9. Explain how Jean becomes the leader of the group.
10. How does Jean show up in Strachan's office?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)