|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jean hardly remember her late uncle?
(a) she knew him only from photographs
(b) her family was the black sheep
(c) no one knew where Macfadden was
(d) she only saw him once when she was a girl
2. Why do the Japanese agree to let the women stay and work in the fields?
(a) it will teach them a lesson about obedience
(b) it will make it easier to guard them
(c) it will give them time to find a truck
(d) it will produce more rice for them
3. How does Jean Paget think about Harman had they met under other circumstances?
(a) that they would never have talked to one another
(b) that things might have been different between them
(c) that they probably would not like one another
(d) that his memory would keep her from ever marrying
4. What does Jean begin wearing?
(a) some military pants
(b) a sarong
(c) a grass skirt
(d) Bermuda shorts
5. How does Strachan certify Donald's death?
(a) from the doctor at Camp 206 at the time of Donald's death
(b) an affidavit from friends who knew him
(c) newspaper clippings from the time
(d) records in the war office
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they find when they reach Maran?
2. What happens to Ellen Forbes?
3. For what do they conclude Joe Harman had given them reason to hope?
4. Why does Mrs. Horsefall cede leadership of the group to Jean?
5. What does Eileen Holland declare is God's will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jean becomes the leader of the group.
2. What does Mrs. Frith suggest the women do?
3. What does Strachan do that hints at the fact he has more than a solicitor-client interest in Jean Paget?
4. What prevents the group from marching to Singapore?
5. What hope is held out for their removal to Kuantan?
6. Describe the historical situation that brings about Jean's unusual history?
7. What is Jean's reaction to the news of her inheritance?
8. How does the real story of the novel begin?
9. What do they have to do to get to Kuantan?
10. What is lacking in Jean's education that Strachan enjoys supplementing?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)