|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What meal are they served for breakfast the first morning?
(a) thin fish soup and dirty rice
(b) Spam and moldy bread
(c) canned sardines and peas
(d) plain rice
2. Up to this point in her life, what is it Jean doubts she will ever do?
(a) buy a small house
(b) see the Queen
(c) marry, attend university, or travel
(d) shop at Harrod's
3. By Asahan, how many of the women have died?
4. In what does Strachan attempt educate Jean?
(b) the arts
5. After walking to several places and finding no ship, what do the women decide to do?
(a) return to Kuala Lumpur
(b) refuse to walk further
(c) head for Thailand
(d) walk to Singapore
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps clear up some of their skin diseases?
2. How are they told they must get to Singapore?
3. What solution do the women come up with to allow them to stay in Kuala Telang?
4. What chore does Jean take on on the way to Bakri?
5. What does Jean begin wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion from Jean meets with the approval of the villagers and the Japanese invaders?
2. What is Jean's reaction to the news of her inheritance?
3. What is Jean's attitude toward the time the women spent in Kuala Telang?
4. Who is the first casualty of the march and what effect does it have on the children.
5. Why is Strachan more or less retired?
6. When they finally come to a paved road, who do the women meet?
7. Explain why N. H. Strachan decides to handle the details of administering the will?
8. After Jean tells Strachan what happened to Joe Harman, what is Strachan's reaction and Jean's comment.
9. What does Mrs. Frith suggest the women do?
10. What prevents the group from marching to Singapore?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)