|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of his punishment, what does the religious Mrs. Frith decide about Joe Harman?
(a) that he must have sinned
(b) that he is a second Christ
(c) that he was sent by God
(d) that he was another Moses
2. Why does Douglas Macfadden want his legacy set up as a trust for his surviving relative?
(a) he believes women cannot handle money
(b) he thinks only lawyers should handle his fortune
(c) he is not sure where she is
(d) he does not want to give all at once what he accumulated over a long time
3. In what does Strachan attempt educate Jean?
(b) the arts
4. Why do the Japanese agree to let the women stay and work in the fields?
(a) it will make it easier to guard them
(b) it will produce more rice for them
(c) it will teach them a lesson about obedience
(d) it will give them time to find a truck
5. How many Japanese guards are assigned to the women and children?
(a) only one
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to four children at Bahau?
2. What puzzles Strachan about Jean Paget?
3. Up to this point in her life, what is it Jean doubts she will ever do?
4. What does Mrs. Warner provide for the children?
5. Why does Jean miss the evacuation to Singapore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Jean becomes the leader of the group.
2. How does Jean show up in Strachan's office?
3. Explain why N. H. Strachan decides to handle the details of administering the will?
4. What suggestion from Jean meets with the approval of the villagers and the Japanese invaders?
5. What is lacking in Jean's education that Strachan enjoys supplementing?
6. What does Strachan do that hints at the fact he has more than a solicitor-client interest in Jean Paget?
7. After Jean tells Strachan what happened to Joe Harman, what is Strachan's reaction and Jean's comment.
8. How does Strachan arrange to meet Jean Paget?
9. Briefly describe what happens after the Japanese arrive.
10. Explain the disappearance of Ellen Forbes.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)