|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Midhurst where does Harman sleep and do most of his living?
(a) in the living room
(b) in the cattle barn
(c) on the verandah
(d) in the kitchen
2. What is served at tea time which shocks Jean?
(a) a steak and two fried eggs
(b) an enormous raost and plum pudding
(c) hard bread and butter
(d) baked beans and pork
3. Who tells Jean Paget this story?
(a) the women at Kuala Telang
(b) a missionary at Kuala Telang
(c) well diggers at Kuala Telang
(d) the headman at Kuala Telang
4. How much does Mr. Small estimate it will cost to build her building?
5. Why is Helen Curtis hysterical on the radio?
(a) her son has come down with a fever
(b) the flood has washed away the curtis barn
(c) her husband's horse returned home without him
(d) lightning struck her house and burned it down
6. What is the bore?
(a) the drill used for finding water
(b) a pipe releasing hot underground water
(c) the man who keeps trying to court Jean
(d) a local Aboriginese servant
7. Who is the former A.T.S. sergeant during the war, stationed in Egypt, Topp perfect for the task of training the factory workers?
(a) Aggie Topp
(b) Rose Sawyer
(c) Elsie Peters
(d) Judy Small
8. What report does Sugamo receive about Harman after the women have left?
(a) he is still alive
(b) his body was stolen
(c) he died during the night
(d) he escaped
9. What effect does Jean's letter have on Strachan?
(a) he gets into a dark mood
(b) he becomes alarmed for her safety
(c) he puts it aside and forgets it
(d) he decides she is too much trouble
10. What does Jean make in her hotel room?
(a) three pair of shoes
(b) an aligator bag
(c) a special hat
(d) a new dress
11. What concerns Jean that she cannot buy in Willstown?
(a) beer, leather, and fuel
(b) newspapers, bottled water, and bread
(c) fresh fruit, vegetables, and milk
(d) eggs, meat, and cheese
12. How many girls does Small think would work regularly for £5 a week in a shoe factory?
(a) 9 or 10 after they are trained
(b) 6 or 7 immediately
(c) 3 or 4 immediately
(d) 20 or 30 immediately
13. When does Harman take Jean to Midhurst to see where he lives?
(a) after they are married
(b) during the middle of the night
(c) for the first week in December
(d) during a Sunday lull
14. In Darwin, what does she say Joe Harman is and why she is looking for him?
(a) a man her uncle wants to run his ranch
(b) a creditor she wants to repay a loan to
(c) a friend of her brother who was killed in the war
(d) a second cousin she is looking up for her worried uncle
15. Where does Jean discover Joe Harman is?
(a) in New Zealand buying cattle
(b) in America studying ranching
(c) in Malaya visiting nurse Williams
(d) in England on holiday, due back late October
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Casket?
2. What has Jean purchased for her Sunday visit at Midhurst?
3. What is the name of the reporter of the Sydney Monitor who offers Paget a lift to the Darwin Hotel?
4. How is some of the hot water used?
5. What does Strachan do before sending Topp to Australia?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)