|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Horsefall cede leadership of the group to Jean?
(a) she cannot speak Malay
(b) she loses her mind
(c) she breaks her arm
(d) she comes down with malaria
2. How does Strachan certify Donald's death?
(a) newspaper clippings from the time
(b) from the doctor at Camp 206 at the time of Donald's death
(c) records in the war office
(d) an affidavit from friends who knew him
3. How many Japanese guards are assigned to the women and children?
(b) only one
4. Without a phone, how do people get information?
(a) traveling pastors carry messages from place to place
(b) riders carry messages from station to station
(c) mail plane pilots bring messages to town
(d) the radio network operator connects to 50 stations
5. What does Jean ask Harman if he can get for them?
(a) Glauber's salts, quinine, and something for skin rashes
(b) good rice and a place to sleep
(c) some fresh water and fruit
(d) a ride on one of the Japanese trucks
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up to berate the sergeant for not marching farther?
2. Visiting Cairns, a prosperous town of some 2,000, what does Jean find waiting for her?
3. What prevents Jean from spending a lot of time at Midhurst?
4. Why can the headman simply allow the women to stay on in his village without informing the Japanese?
5. How does Jean classify her time during World War II?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)