|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephano compare the mud on the island to in 3.4?
2. What do the nymphs do at the celebration in 3.3?
3. Why does Caliban say in 3.4 that Prospero is showing his power?
4. Whose engagement is Prospero celebrating in 3.3?
5. When Stephano sees Caliban, what does Stephano decide to do with him in 3.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stephano say in 3.2 that he is no longer prejudiced against shipwrecks?
2. Describe the fight between Prospero and Caliban in 3.4.
3. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
4. Why does Antonio mock the king in 2.3?
5. Describe the conversation about mud in 3.4.
6. Describe the God Eshu.
7. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
8. What does Caliban whisper to Ferdinand, and how does Ferdinand use that information in 3.1?
9. Who offers to help Ferdinand in the field in 3.1? What does Ferdinand want instead?
10. What does Caliban comment on in 3.4 when he wakes up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Cesaire demonstrate the differences between the uncultivated world of the island and the cultured world of Europe. What message is he attempting to deliver through these contrasts?
Essay Topic 2
Which character says "It takes all kinds to make a world"? Where in the play is this line spoken and in what context? What is the symbolism of this quote?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of slave songs in Cesaire's play. In what context are these songs used and what do they symbolize?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)