|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miranda respond the way she does in 3.1 to Ferdinand's compliments?
2. Who goes to Prospero for forgiveness in 2.3?
3. What animal does Trinculo complain about in 3.4?
4. In 2.3, what time does Antonio say it is?
5. How does Ferdinand feel at the start of 3.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the God Eshu.
2. In 2.3, who warns Alonso and Gonzalo that Antonio and Sebastian are plotting their deaths.
3. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
4. Why does Stephano say in 3.2 that he is no longer prejudiced against shipwrecks?
5. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
6. What do the men in 2.3 need to do in order to gain Prospero's forgiveness?
7. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
8. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
9. What does Prospero give back to the nobles in 3.5?
10. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Prospero and Ariel? Describe each character briefly as individuals. then describe how the interactions between the two characters add to the complexity of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)