|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caliban whisper in 3.1 to Ferdinand.
2. What does Caliban sing about at the end of the play?
3. Who in 3.3 does Miranda claim is more devil than God?
4. In 3.3, what does Iris beckon the nymphs to do?
5. Who is yelling at the start of 3.4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
2. Describe the God Eshu.
3. What does Caliban whisper to Ferdinand, and how does Ferdinand use that information in 3.1?
4. Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play.
5. In 2.3, who warns Alonso and Gonzalo that Antonio and Sebastian are plotting their deaths.
6. What does Prospero do in 3.1 that angers Caliban?
7. What does Caliban comment on in 3.4 when he wakes up?
8. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
9. What do the men in 2.3 need to do in order to gain Prospero's forgiveness?
10. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Prospero and compare him to two other characters of your choice. How does he relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Cesaire's personal history leads him to create this play.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)