|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ferdinand feel at the start of 3.1?
2. What is Alonso prepared to give up in 2.3 if his son is returned to him?
3. In 3.3, what does Iris beckon the nymphs to do?
4. What does Prospero tell the nobles in 3.4 will be returned to them?
5. Who is yelling at the start of 3.4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 3.5, how does Prospero treat Trinculo and Stephano?
2. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
3. What does Prospero do in 3.1 that angers Caliban?
4. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
5. Describe the God Eshu.
6. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
7. Who reunites with his son in 3.5, and what is his reaction?
8. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
9. Where is the engagement celebration held in 3.3?
10. What do the men in 2.3 need to do in order to gain Prospero's forgiveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between Prospero and Ariel? Describe each character briefly as individuals. then describe how the interactions between the two characters add to the complexity of the play.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)