|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Caliban tell Stephano he will need to defeat in 3.2 to rule the island?
2. What song does Caliban sing in 3.4 as he marches?
3. Why does Miranda respond the way she does in 3.1 to Ferdinand's compliments?
4. How does Miranda respond in 3.1 to Ferdinand's compliments?
5. When Stephano sees Caliban, what does Stephano decide to do with him in 3.2?
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)