|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prospero forbid Miranda to do in 3.1?
2. What does Prospero tell Ariel to arrange on the side of the road in 3.3?
3. What do Stephano and Trinculo decide Caliban needs in 3.2?
4. What does Prospero say when he sees Ferdinand's work in 3.1?
5. What does Trinculo decide to use for shelter in 3.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men in 2.3 need to do in order to gain Prospero's forgiveness?
2. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
3. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
4. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
5. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
6. Why does Antonio mock the king in 2.3?
7. Where is the engagement celebration held in 3.3?
8. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
9. In 3.5, how does Prospero treat Trinculo and Stephano?
10. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Cesaire's personal history leads him to create this play.
Essay Topic 2
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)