|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miranda respond the way she does in 3.1 to Ferdinand's compliments?
2. Who does Caliban shout a song to in 3.4?
3. What does Trinculo decide to use for shelter in 3.2?
4. How do the Goddesses react in 3.3 to Eshu's gift?
5. Who blesses the couple in 3.3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who reunites with his son in 3.5, and what is his reaction?
2. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
3. Describe the fight between Prospero and Caliban in 3.4.
4. Who offers to help Ferdinand in the field in 3.1? What does Ferdinand want instead?
5. What do the men in 2.3 need to do in order to gain Prospero's forgiveness?
6. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
7. What does Caliban whisper to Ferdinand, and how does Ferdinand use that information in 3.1?
8. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
9. What do Trinculo and Stephano want to do with Caliban?
10. Describe the God Eshu.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Prospero and compare him to two other characters of your choice. How does he relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Cesaire presents the theme of mercy in his play and in what context.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)