|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does 3.3 open?
2. Who blesses the couple in 3.3?
3. In 3.4, what does Caliban regret?
4. What does Prospero tell Ariel to arrange on the side of the road in 3.3?
5. At the start of 3.1 what does Ferdinand sing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
2. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
3. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
4. Describe the God Eshu.
5. In 2.3, who warns Alonso and Gonzalo that Antonio and Sebastian are plotting their deaths.
6. In 3.5, how does Prospero treat Trinculo and Stephano?
7. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
8. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
9. What do Trinculo and Stephano want to do with Caliban?
10. Describe the fight between Prospero and Caliban in 3.4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term Prologue and discuss how Cesaire uses the Prologue to introduce the audience to his play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of slave songs in Cesaire's play. In what context are these songs used and what do they symbolize?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)