|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 3.4, what does Caliban regret?
2. In 3.1, who offers to help Ferdinand with his task?
3. Who in 2.3 prevents the death of Sebastian's brother?
4. What does Prospero forbid Miranda to do in 3.1?
5. When Stephano sees Caliban, what does Stephano decide to do with him in 3.2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Prospero do in 3.1 that angers Caliban?
2. In 2.3, who warns Alonso and Gonzalo that Antonio and Sebastian are plotting their deaths.
3. Describe the fight between Prospero and Caliban in 3.4.
4. Who offers to help Ferdinand in the field in 3.1? What does Ferdinand want instead?
5. What do Trinculo and Stephano want to do with Caliban?
6. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
7. Describe the conversation about mud in 3.4.
8. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
9. Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play.
10. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Prospero and compare him to two other characters of your choice. How does he relate to these characters?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)