|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in 2.3 prevents the death of Sebastian's brother?
2. How does Ferdinand feel at the start of 3.1?
3. What does Prospero tell the nobles in 3.4 will be returned to them?
4. What game do Miranda and Ferdinand play at the start of 3.5?
5. Who tries to save Caliban from punishment in 3.4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play.
2. What does Caliban whisper to Ferdinand, and how does Ferdinand use that information in 3.1?
3. In 3.5, how does Prospero treat Trinculo and Stephano?
4. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
5. Who offers to help Ferdinand in the field in 3.1? What does Ferdinand want instead?
6. Describe the conversation about mud in 3.4.
7. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
8. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
9. Who reunites with his son in 3.5, and what is his reaction?
10. Why does Stephano say in 3.2 that he is no longer prejudiced against shipwrecks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Cesaire demonstrate the differences between the uncultivated world of the island and the cultured world of Europe. What message is he attempting to deliver through these contrasts?
Essay Topic 2
When Prospero comes on stage in 1.2 he carries a megaphone. What does he shout through the megaphone and what is the effect of that statement? What is the significance of the megaphone?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)