|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in 2.3 prevents the death of Sebastian's brother?
2. How does Ferdinand feel at the start of 3.1?
3. Where does 3.3 open?
4. What does Prospero tell the nobles in 3.4 will be returned to them?
5. Who does Prospero order to complete Ferdinand's work in 3.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Prospero give back to the nobles in 3.5?
2. Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play.
3. Where is the engagement celebration held in 3.3?
4. Why does Stephano say in 3.2 that he is no longer prejudiced against shipwrecks?
5. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
6. Who reunites with his son in 3.5, and what is his reaction?
7. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
8. What do Trinculo and Stephano want to do with Caliban?
9. What does Caliban comment on in 3.4 when he wakes up?
10. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and subplot. What is the central plot in Cesaire's play and what is the subplot? Site specific examples from the play to prove your argument. How do the plot and subplot help reveal Cesaire's central theme to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two conflicts within Cesaire's play and discuss how these conflicts aid in the creation of two different characters.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)