|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Caliban shout a song to in 3.4?
2. What does Trinculo lament in 3.2?
3. Who enters the stage in 3.2, singing and drinking wine?
4. How does Eshu claim in 3.3 he behaves towards his friends?
5. What does Stephano compare the mud on the island to in 3.4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
2. Why does Antonio mock the king in 2.3?
3. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
4. Where is the engagement celebration held in 3.3?
5. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
6. Describe the God Eshu.
7. What does Caliban comment on in 3.4 when he wakes up?
8. What do the men in 2.3 need to do in order to gain Prospero's forgiveness?
9. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
10. What does Prospero give back to the nobles in 3.5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does colonization and the anti-colonization movement present itself in Cesaire's adaptation of this play? Cite specific examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Does Cesaire resolve the issues he presents in his play? Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play and what you believe is the significance of this relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)