|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the stage in 3.2, singing and drinking wine?
2. Who in 3.4 does Prospero say is the most devilish character he has ever seen?
3. In 3.4, what does Caliban regret?
4. What song does Caliban sing in 3.4 as he marches?
5. Who tries to save Caliban from punishment in 3.4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation about mud in 3.4.
2. What does the expression "time to shake the coconut palm" mean in 2.3?
3. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
4. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
5. Why does Stephano say in 3.2 that he is no longer prejudiced against shipwrecks?
6. Why does Antonio mock the king in 2.3?
7. What does Ferdinand sing about at the start of 3.1? What is his emotional state?
8. In 3.5, how does Prospero treat Trinculo and Stephano?
9. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
10. In 2.3, who warns Alonso and Gonzalo that Antonio and Sebastian are plotting their deaths.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Caliban and Ariel's views of slavery. How do their differing opinions aid Cesaire's message in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Prospero and compare him to two other characters of your choice. How does he relate to these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term foreshadowing and provide three examples of how foreshadowing is used in this play.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)