|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in 3.3 does Miranda claim is more devil than God?
2. What is Alonso prepared to give up in 2.3 if his son is returned to him?
3. Why does Miranda respond the way she does in 3.1 to Ferdinand's compliments?
4. What gift does Eshu have for the celebrating couple in 3.3?
5. Which Gods and Goddesses in 3.3 does Prospero invite to the celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which Gods and Goddesses attend the engagement party in 3.3? Who is not invited?
2. Describe Prospero and Caliban's relationship at the end of the play.
3. Describe the fight between Prospero and Caliban in 3.4.
4. What does Caliban whisper to Ferdinand, and how does Ferdinand use that information in 3.1?
5. What is Caliban doing at the start of 3.2?
6. Describe the conversation about mud in 3.4.
7. What do the two spirits yell about in 3.4?
8. Who proclaims himself as king of the island in 3.2?
9. In 2.3, who warns Alonso and Gonzalo that Antonio and Sebastian are plotting their deaths.
10. Why does Prospero instruct Ariel to line the road with gaudy clothes and glass trinkets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Gonzalo and compare his actions to one other character. How do the interactions with this other character enhance the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Cesaire choose to adapt a play by Shakespeare to deliver his message to an audience? How does he stay true to Shakespeare's play and where does he change things? What is the benefit of this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Prospero and compare him to two other characters of your choice. How does he relate to these characters?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)