|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who spoke out against Prospero in Italy?
(b) Antonio and Alonso.
2. What caused Prospero to be on the island?
(a) He couldn't please the king.
(b) Lack of a compass.
(c) Lack of money.
(d) They were exiled.
3. What is the name of the journal Cesaire starts with his wife in 1941?
(a) Freedom Rings.
(b) The Native Palm.
(d) Bonjour Amie!
4. Who do Gonzalo, Sebastian and Antonio call for at the start of 1.1?
(a) The king.
(b) The captain.
(c) The slave.
(d) The lady.
5. How are Ariel and Caliban related?
(a) Sisters in slavery.
(b) Brothers in slavery.
(c) Cousins twice removed.
(d) Brother and sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio say the storm is a foretaste of in 1.1?
2. Where was Miranda a princess?
3. Who, in the Prologue, says "it takes all kinds to make a world"?
4. What did Prospero promise Ariel?
5. What positions do Cesaire and his wife take when they return to his birth place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Prospero end up on the island?
2. What is Ariel's opinion about Prospero's tricks with the food in 2.2?
3. Describe Cesaire's childhood.
4. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
5. What does Prospero shout through the megaphone in 1.2?
6. In 1.1, what does Antonio believe the storm is forewarning them of?
7. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
8. What movements is Cesaire known for?
9. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
10. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)