|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the person in 1.1 demand respect?
(a) Because he is a man.
(b) Because of his relation to the king.
(c) Because he is wealthy.
(d) Because he is rude.
2. In the Prologue, who does the Master of Ceremonies almost forget?
(a) The queens.
(b) The Gods.
(c) The servants.
(d) The villains.
3. What is the weather like as the play begins?
4. How are Ariel and Caliban related?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Brothers in slavery.
(c) Sisters in slavery.
(d) Cousins twice removed.
5. What themes does Cesaire's play incorporate?
(a) Love and hate.
(d) Colonialism and negritude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title did Prospero once hold?
2. Who is Ariel ?
3. Who spoke out against Prospero in Italy?
4. What does Sebastian think of the island in 2.2?
5. What positions do Cesaire and his wife take when they return to his birth place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
2. Describe Caliban and his role on the island.
3. What does Caliban wish Ariel at the end of 2.1? What does Ariel wish Caliban?
4. In 1.1, what does Antonio believe the storm is forewarning them of?
5. What does the Master of Ceremonies order the characters to do at the end of the prologue?
6. What was Prospero and Miranda's life like prior to the island?
7. How do Alfonso and his friends treat the Boatswain?
8. What movements is Cesaire known for?
9. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
10. How did Prospero end up on the island?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)