|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a tempest?
(a) An angry man.
(b) A storm with high winds.
(c) An angry woman.
(d) A stubborn child.
2. What do the group of men hear in 2.2 when Ariel and Prospero enter the stage?
(b) A roll of thunder.
3. Where did Cesaire serve as mayor?
(a) New York.
4. At the start of 2.1, what is Caliban voicing his opinion about?
(a) Greek mythology.
(b) The benefits of a vegetarian diet.
(c) Italian politics.
(d) The wrath of Shango.
5. In 1.1, who tells the passengers on the ship to return to their cabin?
(a) The boatswain.
(b) The king.
(c) The captain.
(d) The queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio say the storm is a foretaste of in 1.1?
2. In 2.1, what does Caliban insist Prospero does not have?
3. Who does Prospero consider to be the only honorable man in Italy?
4. What body type is needed to play the tempest?
5. What does Caliban think about Prospero at the end of 2.1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What violent act of nature occurs at the start of 1.1? What is it compared to?
2. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
3. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
4. Who brings in food and takes away food from the men in 2.2?
5. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
6. What movements is Cesaire known for?
7. What happens to the ship at the end of 1.1?
8. What does Prospero shout through the megaphone in 1.2?
9. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
10. What play is A Tempest based on? Who is the author of the original play?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)