|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who in 1.1, does Gonzalo say he wants to meet?
(a) His maker.
(b) The queen.
(c) His bride.
(d) The king.
2. What does Cesaire think of the idea that poets make terrible politicians?
(a) He thinks it is ridiculous.
(b) He does not care.
(c) He this it is true.
(d) He thinks the idea is ridiculous but true.
3. Where did Cesaire serve as mayor?
(d) New York.
4. What does Ariel tell Caliban about Prospero in 2.1?
(a) That Prospero wants to marry his daughter.
(b) That Prospero is plotting revenge against him.
(c) That Prospero is moving.
(d) That Prospero is dying.
5. Why is Ariel unhappy in 1.2?
(a) Because he is lonely.
(b) Because the ship went down.
(c) Because he is in love with Miranda.
(d) Because Eshu died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caliban think about Prospero at the end of 2.1?
2. What does the Master of Ceremonies think about the characters in the Prologue?
3. In the Prologue, who does the Master of Ceremonies almost forget?
4. In 1.1, who tells the passengers on the ship to return to their cabin?
5. Why does Ariel say in 2.1, Prospero is better then Caliban?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Cesaire's opinions on colonization?
2. In 2.1, what does Ariel believe is the best way to destroy Prospero?
3. How does Cesaire use poetry and writing to advance politics?
4. Who is Ariel and what is his role on the island?
5. What is Ariel's opinion about Prospero's tricks with the food in 2.2?
6. What themes does Cesaire's play examine?
7. What does Prospero shout through the megaphone in 1.2?
8. What are Gonzalo's views on colonization in 2.2?
9. How does Caliban describe his relationship with Ariel in 2.1?
10. What are Gonzalo and Sebastian's views in 2.2 on the fertilizing and caring for the fields?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)