|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Meg tell about what she sees on Molly's leg?
2. What does Meg accuse Molly of before she goes back to the hospital?
3. What does Clarice call Maria and Ben?
4. How does Meg feel when Maria asks her to help during her birth?
5. What object does Molly yell at Meg to get off of her side of the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impresses Meg when she starts teaching Will?
2. What does Will teach Molly about and why does he teach her this?
3. How does Meg feel when Molly goes back to the hospital and why does she feel this way?
4. What does Meg first see when she comes to Maria's house while she is in labor?
5. How does Molly act when she comes home from the hospital?
6. What strange thing does Ben show Meg in the garden?
7. Why does Maria ask a favor of Meg while Molly is in the hospital again?
8. What does Meg think when Molly climbs into her father's lap?
9. What kind of rumors are spread about Maria and Ben?
10. Why is Meg so surprised when Molly wants to meet Ben and Maria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some instances where these themes are present? Why are they so important to the characters involved? Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are many changes seen in this book. What changes for Molly when she gets sick. How do these changes extend beyond her own situation?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme seen in a number of sensitive places throughout this novel. Discuss some of the scenes where despair is present and discuss the role that despair play in this book?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)