|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Meg's parents let her visit Molly in the hospital?
2. How does Meg feel when Maria asks her to help during her birth?
3. How does Ben act while Maria is in labor?
4. Why does Clarice call Charles?
5. Why is Meg angry about Molly getting sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Molly act when she comes home from the hospital?
2. How does Lydia say Molly and Meg were different as children?
3. How does Charles say the family can help Molly as she is dying?
4. What strange thing does Ben show Meg in the garden?
5. What does Meg tell Will she envies about Molly after meeting Ben and Maria?
6. How do Ben and Maria plan for their child?
7. What does Meg think when Molly climbs into her father's lap?
8. What instructions does Will give about the bouquet he brings?
9. How does Meg interpret the dreams she has about Molly?
10. Why does Maria ask a favor of Meg while Molly is in the hospital again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate to the most in this book? Why? How did this character change throughout the book? How do you think you might change if you were in the same situation.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. Discuss three these instances of fear. How does fear affect the characters in the book? Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some instances where these themes are present? Why are they so important to the characters involved? Provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)