|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What silly thing does Meg ask her father to do with her?
2. What does Charles hear about Ben and Maria that he doesn't like?
3. How many days a week does Will come to the house?
4. What does Lydia do when Meg is doing something silly with her father?
5. How does Lydia feel about Will's visits to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Meg first see when she comes to Maria's house while she is in labor?
2. Why does Ben show Meg something strange in the garden?
3. How does Meg realize the true nature of Molly's condition?
4. Why does Maria ask a favor of Meg while Molly is in the hospital again?
5. Why does Will tell Meg she needs to come back to the country in the Fall?
6. How do Ben and Maria plan for their child?
7. How does Molly act when she comes home from the hospital?
8. How does Charles say the family can help Molly as she is dying?
9. What instructions does Will give about the bouquet he brings?
10. What kind of rumors are spread about Maria and Ben?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of sacrifice is very prevalent in this book. What characters are most affected by this theme and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives? Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was a main theme in this book. Where does this theme appear and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What were some forms of foreshadowing found in this book? How do these moments affect the course of the plot? Provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)