|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lydia do when Will is at the house?
2. How does Ben listen to the baby's heartbeat during labor?
3. Why does Charles say he never told Meg how serious Molly's condition is?
4. Who talks Maria into getting married somewhere she hadn't planned?
5. How does Molly act when she stops being grouchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange thing does Ben show Meg in the garden?
2. What does Molly look like when Meg comes to see her in the hospital?
3. How does Lydia say Molly and Meg were different as children?
4. What does Meg tell Will she envies about Molly after meeting Ben and Maria?
5. What favor does Maria ask of Meg while Molly is in the hospital?
6. What does Meg first see when she comes to Maria's house while she is in labor?
7. Why does Maria ask a favor of Meg while Molly is in the hospital again?
8. What impresses Meg when she starts teaching Will?
9. What does Meg think when Molly climbs into her father's lap?
10. What is Molly sick with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some instances where these themes are present? Why are they so important to the characters involved? Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why do you think Lois Lowry chose these particular places for this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Molly presents a very interesting and unique philosophy on beauty. What was this philosophy and how does this different idealism affect the people around her?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)