|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meg feel when Maria asks her to help during her birth?
2. How does Meg get to Ben's house when Maria is in labor?
3. What time does Ben call to announce Maria is in labor?
4. What does Meg see on Molly's leg?
5. What does Maria ask Meg to do during her birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Maria ask of Meg while Molly is in the hospital?
2. What does Meg think when Molly climbs into her father's lap?
3. What does Molly ask of Meg as she is taken to the hospital again?
4. How does Meg interpret the dreams she has about Molly?
5. Why does Will tell Meg she needs to come back to the country in the Fall?
6. What gives Meg strength when she sees her mother sewing the quilt?
7. What instructions does Will give about the bouquet he brings?
8. Why does Ben show Meg something strange in the garden?
9. What happens that makes Meg decide she needs to visit Molly in the hospital?
10. What does Meg tell Will she envies about Molly after meeting Ben and Maria?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of sacrifice is very prevalent in this book. What characters are most affected by this theme and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives? Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some instances where these themes are present? Why are they so important to the characters involved? Provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? Discuss some of the symbols. How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)