|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rasheed arranges to have whose small plot of land transferred to his name in Part 8?
2. What religion is Kabir Durrani?
3. What refers to a garment worn by Hindu women, consisting of a long piece of cotton or silk wrapped around the body with one end draped over the head or over one shoulder?
4. What country borders India on the West?
5. Where does Pran take the women to make up for his gag in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is a dinner party held in Part 7? What does the conversation center on?
2. What is said of a national language in Part 14? Who is in support of it?
3. What is revealed in Mrs. Rupa Mehra's letter in Part 6?
4. What happens with Maan and Firoz in Part 17? Who is injured?
5. Who falls for Saeeda Bai in Part 2? What is the conflict in this?
6. What causes an argument within the Mehra household in the beginning of Part 7.23?
7. What conflict does the Deputy Superintendent face in Part 5? How does he overcome the obstacle?
8. What happens with Mahesh Kapoor's political campaign in Part 14? What becomes a central debate in the election?
9. How does Vikram Seth reflect the inequality of men and women in Part 7?
10. What does Rasheed's family do when they discover his deal with Kachheru?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Hindu festival of Holi. Who entertains during this festival in the novel? What are the actions of the celebrants?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the differences between women's rights and roles in Hindu and Muslim culture historically. How are these differences in culture detailed in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Raja of Marh and where has he elected to erect a Temple to Shiva? What impact does this have on the characters in the narrative?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)