|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 9, Haresh has problems at CLFC and sets out to find a job where?
2. Arun's wife supposedly had what melted into earrings in Part 7?
3. Who is Veena Kapoor's son?
4. Who does Pran Kapoor think as a likely prospect for his sister-in-law in the end of Part 4?
5. Who is Mrs. Rupa Mehra's youngest child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vikram Seth conclude A Suitable Boy? Who does not attend the wedding?
2. What is the Chatterji family known for? Who are the Chatterji children?
3. How is the Mehra household depicted in the beginning of Part 7? Why?
4. What comparison is made in Part 3 between Lata and Maan Kapoor? What does this juxtaposition indicate?
5. What event brings the characters together in the beginning of Part 1? How many families does the novel center on?
6. Who does Mrs. Rupa Mehra visit in Part 9? Why?
7. Who does Lata meet after her English exam in Part 3? Who does Lata tell of her exploits?
8. What does Rasheed's family do when they discover his deal with Kachheru?
9. Where does a party take place in Part 4? What opportunity does this give Haresh?
10. What happens with Mahesh Kapoor's political campaign in Part 14? What becomes a central debate in the election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of Muslim/Hindu animosity as portrayed in A Suitable Boy. What conflicts arise in the narrative to express this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Kabir in A Suitable Boy. Where does Lata meet Kabir? What religion is he? How does he feel about Lata?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the three men whom Lata views as choices for a husband in A Suitable Boy. What are her feelings about each? Which of these choices would you choose for Lata and why?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)