|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is found with questionable friends at the racetrack betting on the horses in Part 7?
2. What religion is Mrs. Rupa Mehra?
3. Where to Kabir and Lata a river boat trip in Part 3?
4. Who is described as corrupt and besotted with courtesans in Part 4?
5. What friend does Mrs. Rupa Mehra enlist to help her find a husband for Lata in Part 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Rupa Mehra's opinion of Haresh in Part 9? What does Lata think of Haresh?
2. What prank does Pran play on the women in his family in Part 3? What is the result?
3. What does Mrs. Rupa Mehra concern herself with in Part 19? Where is she?
4. What causes an argument within the Mehra household in the beginning of Part 7.23?
5. How is the Mehra household depicted in the beginning of Part 7? Why?
6. How are Muslim/Hindu relations depicted in Maan's travels in Part 8?
7. What is the Chatterji family known for? Who are the Chatterji children?
8. How does Vikram Seth avoid creating a "political novel," despite the fact that many political ideas are discussed in A Suitable Boy?
9. What family conflict is central in the Chatterji family in Part 7?
10. What conflict does the Deputy Superintendent face in Part 5? How does he overcome the obstacle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Hindu festival of Holi. Who entertains during this festival in the novel? What are the actions of the celebrants?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the tanning pits from Part 4. Who takes Haresh there? Why? How are they described?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Haresh's infatuation with a Sikh woman and how this reflects both Maan's relationship with Saeeda Bai and Lata's relationship with Kabir. How are each similar and how do they differ?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)