|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend does Mrs. Rupa Mehra enlist to help her find a husband for Lata in Part 9?
2. Who is Firoz falling in love with in Part 6?
3. The sibling rivalry between Varun and who comes to a head prior to a dinner party in Part 7?
4. The second boy suggested by Mrs. Rupa Mehra's friend in Part 9 is dismissed because he is too what?
5. Where to Kabir and Lata a river boat trip in Part 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events take place in the principle romances in Part 13? What does Kakoli think of Lata's play?
2. What is said of a national language in Part 14? Who is in support of it?
3. What conflicts come to the forefront in Part 13? How does Seth use symbolism in this chapter?
4. What does Rasheed's family do when they discover his deal with Kachheru?
5. What happens with Maan and Firoz in Part 17? Who is injured?
6. What is the central conflict in Part 5? How is the Raja of Marh involved?
7. What political actions does Mahesh Kapoor take in Part 14? Why?
8. How are the political conflicts in Part 5 important to the plot of A Suitable Boy? What differences between Muslims and Hindus does the author indicate here?
9. What objective of Mrs. Rupa Mehra is established in Part 1 regarding her daughter? How does this establish a central conflict?
10. Who does Mrs. Rupa Mehra visit in Part 9? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Nawab Sahib and Mahesh Kapoor in the narrative. How are their differences overlooked? How does their friendship become strained?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of arranged marriage in A Suitable Boy. Who does "A Suitable Boy" refer to in the text? How does Vikram Seth illustrate this theme through symbolism and motif?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lata's night out with her in-laws in Part 7. How is the social life of Lata and the other young people depicted at the cocktail party and the disco? How does this juxtapose against Mrs. Rupa Mehra's traditional views?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)