|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brazenly recruits a stranger to dance with Lata in Part 7?
(b) Mrs. Rupa Mehra.
2. During the dinner party in Part 7, a philosophical discussion takes place between "the Grande Dame of Culture" and who about the One-ness of Indian culture?
(a) Meenakshi Kapoor.
(b) Amit Tandon.
(c) Dipankar Chatterji.
(d) Mrs. Rupa Mehra.
3. Who is found with questionable friends at the racetrack betting on the horses in Part 7?
4. How many children does Mahesh Kapoor have?
5. What legislative act is Rasheed's father opposed to?
(a) Zamindari Bill.
(b) Indari Bill.
(c) Hindi Bill.
(d) Matarashi Bill.
6. What difficult musical instrument to play is one of the instruments used as an accompaniment for Saeeda Bai's singing?
7. The third boy suggested by Mrs. Rupa Mehra's friend in Part 9 is dismissed because he is too what?
8. Where does Mrs. Rupa Mehra go to see her friend and work out a suitor for Lata in Part 9?
9. What is the capital of Pakistan?
10. Who drops by hoping to engage Varun in conversation about his interpretation of the Hindu religion in Part 7?
11. What romantic place have Kabir and Lata gone to in Part 2?
(a) The Barsaat Mahal.
(b) The Marsaat Mahal.
(c) The Taj Mahal.
(d) Raja of Marh.
12. Who is Mrs. Rupa Mehra's youngest child?
(a) Meenakshi Chatterji.
(b) Mahesh Kapoor.
(c) Lata Mehra.
(d) Savita Mehra.
13. By whom is the Home Minister attacked in Parliament in Part 5?
(a) Mortu Chand.
(b) Begum Abida Khan.
(c) Ustad Majeed Khan.
(d) L. N. Agarwal.
14. Maan Kapoor is the son of what official in India?
(a) Minister of Foreign Affairs.
(b) Minister of Finance.
(c) Minister of Justice.
(d) Minister of Security.
15. What dance is described which Mrs. Rupa Mehra does not understand in Part 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious holiday of Hinduism is celebrated by splashing people with bright colored water?
2. What refers to a preparation from the leaves and flowers of the female cannabis plant, smoked or consumed as a beverage in India?
3. What game, played by Meenakshi, is a card game of the rummy family of games believed to be a variant of 500 Rum?
4. What refers to a small, two-wheeled, cart-like passenger vehicle with a fold-down top, pulled by one person?
5. What character in the novel is described as a notorious courtesan renowned for her singing?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)