|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Blumenfeld tell Annie he will try to grow for her?
2. Which of Annie's personalities joins her during her meeting with Melanie?
3. How old was Annie when her father committed suicide?
4. What does Dr. Blumenfeld tell Annie that she has that allows her to see people as they really are?
5. What does Annie do immediately after this dream-like experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben show Annie on their last day together?
2. What does Annie discover about the things that are in the box?
3. How did Annie's father die?
4. Why does Annie believe a child's earliest memories are forgotten?
5. Why is Ben's play about the burning house significant?
6. What is the main reason that Annie envisions killing herself?
7. Why has Annie forgotten the terrible things that her mother did to her?
8. How does Ben react when he breaks his teacher's window?
9. What surprises Annie about Ben's recent behavior?
10. Does Annie believe that Dr. Blumenfeld will be able to help her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the second section of Annie's novel entitled "Silence." How does Annie use her writing in this section of the novel to allow readers to understand what is going on in her mind? Compare and contrast Annie's writing style in this section of the novel with her writing style in the other sections of the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support the points that you make in describing the writing styles of each section of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Angels are a recurring symbol in this book. Locate at least five references to angels. Describe the meaning of these references. How do they tie together?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the titles that Annie uses in her book, both the main title and section titles for the three main sections of the novel.
1. Do you believe the section titles (The Other Side of Silence, Silence and Messenger) are appropriate? Explain how each title relates to the information included in that section of the text.
2. Do you believe the main title of the novel, A Shining Affliction, is appropriate? To what affliction does the title refer? Why is this affliction considered to be shining?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)