|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blumenfeld tell Annie it will represent if she does not publish a book?
2. What scared Annie the worst in the hospital?
3. Who does Annie talk to Blumenfeld about during her first session with Ben?
4. Of what does Annie begin to paint pictures?
5. What does Ben do to his teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences does Annie see in the picture of herself and her mother, and herself and her father?
2. What happens during the session where Melanie meets with Annie for the last time?
3. What does Dr. Blumenfeld say about Annie's attempt to kill Melanie?
4. Describe Ben's reaction when he first sees Annie after their separation.
5. What has happened with Ben since Annie last saw him at Glenwood?
6. What kind of fee does Dr. Blumenfeld set up for Annie?
7. Why does Dr. Blumenfeld determine that it is significant to Annie that he locks his office door during their sessions?
8. Does Annie believe that Dr. Blumenfeld will be able to help her?
9. Why does Blumenfeld believe that Melanie never really changed as a therapist, despite Annie's opinion that she did change?
10. Why does Annie believe a child's earliest memories are forgotten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prepare a character sketch for Melanie. Be sure to include aspects such as 1. physical appearance, 2. technique in working with Annie, 3. Melanie's role in the novel, 4. who Melanie represents to Annie.
Essay Topic 2
The importance of words is a recurring theme in this book. For instance, Annie suggests that babies have no memory of their infancy because they had no words to record their memories. Explore the various uses of words in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Annie's relationship with Melanie. Do you believe that Annie really wanted to kill Melanie? Why or why not? Was Annie, as Blumenfeld suggested, trying to heal Melanie? Defend your answer with examples from the book. Do you believe that Melanie really never knew Annie, or did she change during their time together? Do you agree with Blumenfeld's description of Melanie's departure as not being a goodbye, but just leaving?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)