|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben ask Annie for when he leaves the playroom his last visit before Christmas break?
2. What happened in Ben's house that caused him to be found?
3. What does Ben pretend to do while they are outside?
4. In what month does Annie stop going to see Ben?
5. What does Annie tell the doctor has brought her to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the bird that Ben paints connected with the bird that Annie paints?
2. Consider Annie's writing style during this second part of her book.
3. Why does Annie use play therapy when dealing with Ben?
4. How does Annie interpret her first session with Ben after the Christmas break?
5. What does Annie feel that the doctor who examines her at the hospital is trying to do?
6. What does Dr. Connelly warn Annie to stay away from when he releases her from the hospital?
7. Why does Annie dislike the clinical discussion that occurs between her classmates?
8. Why do you believe that it is significant that Annie is no longer remembering large chunks of her day?
9. What does Dr. Connelly suggest to Annie's sister that they do for her?
10. Describe Ben's reaction when he accidently hits Annie with a stick while playing outside.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the second section of Annie's novel entitled "Silence." How does Annie use her writing in this section of the novel to allow readers to understand what is going on in her mind? Compare and contrast Annie's writing style in this section of the novel with her writing style in the other sections of the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support the points that you make in describing the writing styles of each section of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Prepare a character sketch for Ben. Be sure to include aspects such as 1. physical appearance, 2. changes in behavior as he works with Annie, 3. his background and 4. his role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Prepare a character sketch for Annie. Be sure to include aspects such as 1. background, 2. changes in emotional status through the course of the novel, 3. Annie's multiple personalities and what parts of Annie these personalities represent.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)