|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie tell Ben that they have in common?
2. What drug does Dr. Connelly give Annie?
3. What does Dr. Connelly warn Annie to stay away from?
4. What sensation does Annie feel on her skin while she is in the hospital?
5. What does Annie learn is Ben's method of comforting himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is your opinion of Annie's relationship with Melanie, her own therapist?
2. In what way is the bird that Ben paints connected with the bird that Annie paints?
3. What does Annie's act of sewing up the wound over Ben's heart symbolize?
4. What does Annie feel that the doctor who examines her at the hospital is trying to do?
5. What feeling does Annie have both when she leaves Harvard and when she leaves her birthday party at Sarah's apartment?
6. Why do you think that Ben thought that he could not be hurt?
7. Consider Annie's writing style during this second part of her book.
8. What bothers Annie about Ben's behavior during their sessions?
9. Who does "little Annie" represent?
10. Why do you believe that it is significant that Annie is no longer remembering large chunks of her day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the titles that Annie uses in her book, both the main title and section titles for the three main sections of the novel.
1. Do you believe the section titles (The Other Side of Silence, Silence and Messenger) are appropriate? Explain how each title relates to the information included in that section of the text.
2. Do you believe the main title of the novel, A Shining Affliction, is appropriate? To what affliction does the title refer? Why is this affliction considered to be shining?
Essay Topic 2
Angels are a recurring symbol in this book. Locate at least five references to angels. Describe the meaning of these references. How do they tie together?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ben and Annie. Include in this discussion:
1. Each characters' relationship with their mother.
2. Their inability to remember what has happened to them in their relationships with their mothers.
3. The instances that have brought on their healing. Discuss the way that Annie and Ben have used their backgrounds in order to help each other.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)