|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what disorder is Ben diagnosed?
2. What does Annie not want to do?
3. What happens on Annie's twenty-eighth birthday?
4. Who does Annie suspect that Ben wants to kill?
5. When Ben instructs Annie to look for the blue key, what is he really asking her to look for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does the reader gain about Annie while she talks to Dr. Connelly on the day he tells her they are planning to release her from the hospital?
2. Describe the collages that Annie makes while in the hospital.
3. What does Annie feel that the doctor who examines her at the hospital is trying to do?
4. When Annie researched Ben's past, what did she find out about his first foster home?
5. What bothers Annie about Ben's behavior during their sessions?
6. What does Dr. Connelly warn Annie to stay away from when he releases her from the hospital?
7. What is your opinion of Annie's relationship with Melanie, her own therapist?
8. Why do you think that Ben thought that he could not be hurt?
9. Why is it significant that Annie does not let Ben keep the spring he finds on the playroom floor?
10. What does Dr. Connelly suggest to Annie's sister that they do for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burning is a theme that is repeated often in this novel. For instance, Annie's mother was burned as a child, Ben was left in a burning house, and Annie experiences the sensation of burning skin several times during the course of the novel. Describe why burning is so important in the novel. Identify at least three references to burning and describe how they relate to one another.
Essay Topic 2
Prepare a character sketch for Ben. Be sure to include aspects such as 1. physical appearance, 2. changes in behavior as he works with Annie, 3. his background and 4. his role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Prepare a character sketch for Melanie. Be sure to include aspects such as 1. physical appearance, 2. technique in working with Annie, 3. Melanie's role in the novel, 4. who Melanie represents to Annie.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)