|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Annie ask if she has killed?
2. What is the first thing Annie tells Dr. Blumefeld?
3. What does Annie make while she is in the hospital?
4. What drug does Dr. Connelly give Annie?
5. With what does Ben hurt himself in Annie's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does the reader gain about Annie while she talks to Dr. Connelly on the day he tells her they are planning to release her from the hospital?
2. What do you believe magic represented to Ben?
3. Who does "little Annie" represent?
4. Why do you believe Ben refuses to see Annie for three weeks during their sessions?
5. How does Annie convince Ben that she will met with him again after Christmas break?
6. In what way is the bird that Ben paints connected with the bird that Annie paints?
7. Describe the collages that Annie makes while in the hospital.
8. Why does Annie use play therapy when dealing with Ben?
9. Explain the significance of Annie and Ben's struggle after he tears the wing on his angel costume.
10. Describe the way in which Dr. Connelly appears to Annie in her dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you believe the little girl is that Annie sees at the beginning of the book? What about the girl in the doctor's office when Annie is admitted to the hospital? Who is the girl who plays chess with Telesporus when Annie is in the hospital? Do you believe these girls are different girls, or the same one? It is known that Annie had multiple personalities. Are these girls fragments of herself, or do they represent Annie as a young child? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Prepare a character sketch for Ben. Be sure to include aspects such as 1. physical appearance, 2. changes in behavior as he works with Annie, 3. his background and 4. his role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the titles that Annie uses in her book, both the main title and section titles for the three main sections of the novel.
1. Do you believe the section titles (The Other Side of Silence, Silence and Messenger) are appropriate? Explain how each title relates to the information included in that section of the text.
2. Do you believe the main title of the novel, A Shining Affliction, is appropriate? To what affliction does the title refer? Why is this affliction considered to be shining?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)