|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tully choke on one night at dinner with Donna Kay?
2. What hits Tully in the head on the ship to Belize?
3. Tully and Ix-Nay go to Belize to buy ________.
4. Where did Tully run into the bounty hunters in Alabama?
5. What fever did Tully catch as a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buffet illustrate the generational difference between Tully and Dawn?
2. What does Ix-Nay tell Tully about the fishing spot called Quiet Time?
3. What is the atmosphere like at Reynaldo's resort in San Pedro?
4. What was the unusual business that Archie Mercer had in Orlando?
5. How does Tully come to meet Cleopatra Highbourne?
6. What does Ix-Nay mean when he tells Tully that there is a rabbit in the moon when they are in Belize?
7. What are some of the things that happen on the trip to Belize that reminds Tully of his favorite movie, The Man Who Would Be King?
8. What surprising thing does Cleopatra do after Tully successfully guides the dinghy through the Mayan cut?
9. Who are the Stilton twins?
10. Why does Willie Singer have such a hard time leaving Hawaii?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Buffet's use of both traditional and non-traditional religion in A Salty Piece of Land.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two pieces of art that Tully carries with him on his journey. How does he acquire each of them, and what role do they play in the plot and themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of lights and lighthouses to the plot and themes of A Salty Piece of Land?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)