|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ix-Nay the afternoon that Tully has dinner with Dawn?
2. What is the name of Tully's horse?
3. What does Tully hand to Cleopatra as the Lucretia sails to Punta Margarita from Tulum?
4. What do the biker couple purchase at the flea market where Tully buys the painting?
5. Ix-Nay is a Mayan __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the unusual business that Archie Mercer had in Orlando?
2. Why does Willie Singer have such a hard time leaving Hawaii?
3. Who is Dr. Destin Walker?
4. What is the connection between Tully and Donna Kay Dunbar?
5. What challenge does Cleopatra give to Tully before she will take him back to Punta Margarita?
6. What is the story of Grandma Ghost?
7. What is the unusual motif for the party that Tully attends with Dawn?
8. What does Bucky hire Tully to do at Lost Boys?
9. Why does Tully ask Willie Singer to help him find the Fresnel lens?
10. What are some of the things that happen on the trip to Belize that reminds Tully of his favorite movie, The Man Who Would Be King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the circular structure of the novel. How does the structure of the novel mirror Tully's own journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Buffet weaves literary works and movie references into the novel to help illuminate themes. Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
The first line of the novel states, "It all simply comes down to good guys and bad guys." Discuss the good guys and bad guys in the novel, and how Tully embodied both.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)