|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tully heading when his jeep falls into a large pothole?
2. What treasure does Willie Singer show Tully in chapter 3?
3. Where is the Lucretia headed after taking Tully home?
4. Willie Singer flies his plane under the ______________.
5. Where is the letter postmarked from that Archibald Mercer gives Tully?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bucky Norman and Kirk Patterson meet each other?
2. What is the secret to navigating the waters off Punta Margarita?
3. How does Buffet illustrate the generational difference between Tully and Dawn?
4. How does Tully come to meet Cleopatra Highbourne?
5. What are the two pieces of art that Tully takes with him on his trip aboard the Caribbean Soul?
6. What does Ix-Nay tell Tully about the fishing spot called Quiet Time?
7. Who is Dr. Destin Walker?
8. What does Donna Kay tell Tully in the tree house?
9. What is the unusual motif for the party that Tully attends with Dawn?
10. What surprising thing does Cleopatra do after Tully successfully guides the dinghy through the Mayan cut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the names of characters and places to outlandish events, how is A Salty Piece of Land a parody in some ways?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the circular structure of the novel. How does the structure of the novel mirror Tully's own journey?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the chapter titles are not just clever or humorous, but serve a bigger purpose in the novel.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)