|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aboard Cleopatra's dinghy, a young boy drums on a _________.
2. What was playing on the car radio as Tully made his escape from the bounty hunters?
3. Cleopatra is obsessed with a Cuban baseball pitcher called _______.
4. Who did Tully Mars want to be like when he grew up?
5. What is the name of the place where Tully is supposed to meet Dawn for a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Hallicraft S-40B so important to Tully?
2. Who is Dr. Destin Walker?
3. What is the atmosphere like at Reynaldo's resort in San Pedro?
4. How does Buffet illustrate the generational difference between Tully and Dawn?
5. What does Bucky hire Tully to do at Lost Boys?
6. What are some of the things that happen on the trip to Belize that reminds Tully of his favorite movie, The Man Who Would Be King?
7. Who are the Stilton twins?
8. What does Ix-Nay tell Tully about the fishing spot called Quiet Time?
9. Why does Willie Singer have such a hard time leaving Hawaii?
10. What is the story of Grandma Ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in nearly every chapter of the novel? Is this literary device overused by Buffet? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cleopatra tells Tully that the hummingbird that lands on her arm as she stands atop the Cayo Loco is off course. How does the hummingbird represent Tully? What role does Cleopatra play in Tully's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the following: Lister's conch, boats, and islands.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)