|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
2. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
3. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
4. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
5. What is it that Captain Neal wants from the platoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
2. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
3. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
4. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
5. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
6. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
7. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
8. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
9. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
10. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
Essay Topic 2
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
Essay Topic 3
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)