|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
2. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
3. Who was the first KIA in 1st Battalion?
4. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
5. What is Caputo's reply to an officer who says the PFCs are shooting at shadows again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the idealism of the young and inexperienced. Use Caputo and his platoon leaving Okinawa convinced they could end the war in a matter of days and the new arrivals of Battalion one-three as your examples. If possible relate that to some time in your life when you thought something might be a simple matter to solve even when more experienced people were telling you it was more difficult than you thought.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the American withdrawal from Vietnam. It has gone down in history as the first war the Americans ever lost. Express your opinion in the paper about how the pullout affected the worldwide view of America as a Democracy.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the need of many men to prove their manhood. Express your opinion as to why this is something Caputo mentions several times in the book. Besides war, what are ways some men choose to prove to themselves that they are real men? Express your opinion as to whether such behavior is necessary.
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)