|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
2. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
3. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
4. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
5. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
2. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
3. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
4. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
5. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
6. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
7. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
8. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
9. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
10. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hatred is mentioned several times in the book. It often takes over when circumstances are frustrating and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. Write how the Marines in Vietnam often felt this way when they knew more about what was going on than the men safely back at HQ who were planning the moves of the war.
Essay Topic 2
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)