|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
2. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
3. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
4. How does the paperwork in the adjutant's office appear to Caputo?
5. What is the joke Sgt. Hamilton says outside the adjutant's tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
2. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
3. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
4. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
5. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
6. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
7. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
8. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
9. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
10. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)