|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
2. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
3. What is Caputo's reply to an officer who says the PFCs are shooting at shadows again?
4. What evidence do they find to show it is a VC attack?
5. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
2. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
3. How serious are the results of the assault?
4. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
5. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
6. Why is the chaplain upset?
7. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
8. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
9. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
10. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 2
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)