|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that Captain Neal wants from the platoon?
2. Why is there a great deal of physical work to be done as the monsoon season begins?
3. What job takes up most of Caputo's time as assistant adjutant?
4. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
5. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
2. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
3. How serious are the results of the assault?
4. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
5. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
6. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
7. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
8. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
9. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
10. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the idealism of the young and inexperienced. Use Caputo and his platoon leaving Okinawa convinced they could end the war in a matter of days and the new arrivals of Battalion one-three as your examples. If possible relate that to some time in your life when you thought something might be a simple matter to solve even when more experienced people were telling you it was more difficult than you thought.
Essay Topic 3
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)