|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of Sympathetic Detonation?
2. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
3. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
4. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
5. How does the paperwork in the adjutant's office appear to Caputo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
2. Why is the chaplain upset?
3. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
4. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
5. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
6. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
7. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
8. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
9. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
10. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a creative writing piece in which you are a private or corporal in the military, sitting in a cane field at night, listening to the moans of fellow military men because the Medivac helicopters cannot get to you and the company medic has no morphine for the pain. Be sure to express your deepest feelings and frustrations.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)