|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
2. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
3. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
4. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
5. What exhilarates Caputo after the Hoi-Vuc village wipe out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How serious are the results of the assault?
2. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
3. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
4. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
5. Why is the chaplain upset?
6. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
7. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
8. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
9. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
10. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the morality of war. Express your opinion as to whether war has ever in the history of the world accomplished good. Add to your paper ideas about how wars may be avoided in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)