|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
2. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
3. How does Caputo classify Gen. Westmoreland?
4. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
5. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
2. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
3. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
4. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
5. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
6. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
7. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
8. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
9. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
10. Why is the chaplain upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
Essay Topic 2
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
Essay Topic 3
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)