|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a great deal of physical work to be done as the monsoon season begins?
2. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
3. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
4. What evidence do they find to show it is a VC attack?
5. What are WIAs and KIAs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
2. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
3. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
4. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
5. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
6. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
7. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
8. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
9. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
10. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 2
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)