|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
2. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
3. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
4. How much of the base does Caputo say has escaped the damage?
5. What exhilarates Caputo after the Hoi-Vuc village wipe out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
2. How serious are the results of the assault?
3. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
4. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
5. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
6. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
7. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
8. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
9. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
10. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the idealism of the young and inexperienced. Use Caputo and his platoon leaving Okinawa convinced they could end the war in a matter of days and the new arrivals of Battalion one-three as your examples. If possible relate that to some time in your life when you thought something might be a simple matter to solve even when more experienced people were telling you it was more difficult than you thought.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)