|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
2. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
3. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
4. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
5. What is Caputo's reply to an officer who says the PFCs are shooting at shadows again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
2. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
3. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
4. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
5. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
6. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
7. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
8. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
9. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
10. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the need of many men to prove their manhood. Express your opinion as to why this is something Caputo mentions several times in the book. Besides war, what are ways some men choose to prove to themselves that they are real men? Express your opinion as to whether such behavior is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)