|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
2. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
3. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
4. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
5. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
2. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
3. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
4. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
5. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
6. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
7. Why is the chaplain upset?
8. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
9. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
10. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
Essay Topic 2
Do a creative writing piece in which you are a private or corporal in the military, sitting in a cane field at night, listening to the moans of fellow military men because the Medivac helicopters cannot get to you and the company medic has no morphine for the pain. Be sure to express your deepest feelings and frustrations.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the American withdrawal from Vietnam. It has gone down in history as the first war the Americans ever lost. Express your opinion in the paper about how the pullout affected the worldwide view of America as a Democracy.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)