|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
2. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
3. What are SLJOs?
4. What does GSW stand for?
5. What is Caputo's reply to an officer who says the PFCs are shooting at shadows again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
2. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
3. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
4. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
5. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
6. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
7. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
8. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
9. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
10. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the American withdrawal from Vietnam. It has gone down in history as the first war the Americans ever lost. Express your opinion in the paper about how the pullout affected the worldwide view of America as a Democracy.
Essay Topic 3
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)