|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
2. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
3. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
4. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
5. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
2. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
3. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
4. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
5. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
6. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
7. Why is the chaplain upset?
8. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
9. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
10. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
Essay Topic 2
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 3
Hatred is mentioned several times in the book. It often takes over when circumstances are frustrating and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. Write how the Marines in Vietnam often felt this way when they knew more about what was going on than the men safely back at HQ who were planning the moves of the war.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)