|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
2. What happens to an old Vietnamese woman chewing a beetle?
3. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
4. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
5. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
2. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
3. How serious are the results of the assault?
4. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
5. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
6. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
7. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
8. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
9. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
10. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 2
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about understanding different cultures. Use examples from the book to show that people of different cultures often do not understand each other. A good example is the old Vietnamese man trying to sell pornographic pictures to Caputo and his men. He, like so many Asians, had the idea that all Americans are addicted to sexual laxity and vulgarity. On the other hand, the Americans often could not understand the stoic nature of the Vietnamese who show little emotion regardless of circumstances.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)