|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
2. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
3. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
4. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
5. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
2. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
3. Why is the chaplain upset?
4. How serious are the results of the assault?
5. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
6. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
7. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
8. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
9. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
10. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
Essay Topic 2
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about understanding different cultures. Use examples from the book to show that people of different cultures often do not understand each other. A good example is the old Vietnamese man trying to sell pornographic pictures to Caputo and his men. He, like so many Asians, had the idea that all Americans are addicted to sexual laxity and vulgarity. On the other hand, the Americans often could not understand the stoic nature of the Vietnamese who show little emotion regardless of circumstances.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)