|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Caputo's dream, what vision does he have in the daylight?
2. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
3. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
4. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
5. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
2. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
3. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
4. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
5. Under assault conditions, what is the assistant adjutant's responsibility?
6. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
7. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
8. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
9. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
10. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
Essay Topic 3
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)