|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence do they find to show it is a VC attack?
2. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
3. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
4. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
5. What is the joke Sgt. Hamilton says outside the adjutant's tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
2. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
3. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
4. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
5. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
6. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
7. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
8. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
9. How serious are the results of the assault?
10. Why is the chaplain upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
Essay Topic 2
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)