|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has noticed the relaxed camp arrangements and tries to correct them?
2. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
3. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
4. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
5. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
2. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
3. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
4. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
5. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
6. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
7. Why is the chaplain upset?
8. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
9. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
10. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the need of many men to prove their manhood. Express your opinion as to why this is something Caputo mentions several times in the book. Besides war, what are ways some men choose to prove to themselves that they are real men? Express your opinion as to whether such behavior is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)