|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
2. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
3. What is it that Captain Neal wants from the platoon?
4. What job takes up most of Caputo's time as assistant adjutant?
5. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
2. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
3. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
4. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
5. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
6. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
7. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
8. How serious are the results of the assault?
9. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
10. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the need of many men to prove their manhood. Express your opinion as to why this is something Caputo mentions several times in the book. Besides war, what are ways some men choose to prove to themselves that they are real men? Express your opinion as to whether such behavior is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)