|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
2. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
3. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
4. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
5. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the chaplain upset?
2. How serious are the results of the assault?
3. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
4. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
5. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
6. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
7. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
8. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
9. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
10. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the morality of war. Express your opinion as to whether war has ever in the history of the world accomplished good. Add to your paper ideas about how wars may be avoided in the future.
Essay Topic 3
Caputo discusses the deterioration of morals as the war goes on. Write your opinion about how extremely adverse situations may affect human morality. Give examples from the book of behavior in Vietnam that would not even be considered in main street USA.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)