|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
2. What evidence do they find to show it is a VC attack?
3. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
4. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
5. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
2. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
3. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
4. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
5. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
6. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
7. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
8. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
9. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
10. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the American withdrawal from Vietnam. It has gone down in history as the first war the Americans ever lost. Express your opinion in the paper about how the pullout affected the worldwide view of America as a Democracy.
Essay Topic 3
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)