|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to an old Vietnamese woman chewing a beetle?
2. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
3. Why does Caputo lose radio contact with one of his operators?
4. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
5. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
2. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
3. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
4. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
5. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
6. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
7. What is the ridiculous hold up in getting the evac helicopters to the platoon?
8. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
9. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
10. Why is the chaplain upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the need of many men to prove their manhood. Express your opinion as to why this is something Caputo mentions several times in the book. Besides war, what are ways some men choose to prove to themselves that they are real men? Express your opinion as to whether such behavior is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)