|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
2. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
3. What looks beautiful from the hill but becomes ominous up close?
4. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
5. What does Lemmon tell Caputo that Sullivan is doing when he gets shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
2. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
3. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
4. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
5. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
6. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
7. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
8. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
9. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
10. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 2
Do a creative writing piece in which you are a private or corporal in the military, sitting in a cane field at night, listening to the moans of fellow military men because the Medivac helicopters cannot get to you and the company medic has no morphine for the pain. Be sure to express your deepest feelings and frustrations.
Essay Topic 3
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)