|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemmon tell Caputo that Sullivan is doing when he gets shot?
2. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
3. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
4. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
5. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
2. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
3. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
4. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
5. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
6. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
7. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
8. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
9. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
10. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the need of many men to prove their manhood. Express your opinion as to why this is something Caputo mentions several times in the book. Besides war, what are ways some men choose to prove to themselves that they are real men? Express your opinion as to whether such behavior is necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the morality of war. Express your opinion as to whether war has ever in the history of the world accomplished good. Add to your paper ideas about how wars may be avoided in the future.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)