|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
2. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
3. What becomes of Vietnamese wounded in battle or victims of landmines?
4. What does he imagine being in the military will be like?
5. Where does Caputo go for advanced training?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
2. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
3. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
4. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
5. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
6. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
7. What is the sound of 155mm artillery firing?
8. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
9. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
10. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Caputo discusses the deterioration of morals as the war goes on. Write your opinion about how extremely adverse situations may affect human morality. Give examples from the book of behavior in Vietnam that would not even be considered in main street USA.
Essay Topic 2
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)