|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Caputo recall that further dims the idea of glamor in war?
2. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
3. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
4. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
5. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
2. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
3. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
4. How serious are the results of the assault?
5. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
6. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
7. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
8. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
9. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
10. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
Essay Topic 3
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
This section contains 1,700 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)