|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
2. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
3. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
4. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
5. What happens with the ARVN scouts in the first offensive action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
2. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
3. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
4. Describe the Communist stronghold that Caputo first sees in Vietnam.
5. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
6. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
7. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
8. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
9. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
10. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a creative writing piece in which you are a private or corporal in the military, sitting in a cane field at night, listening to the moans of fellow military men because the Medivac helicopters cannot get to you and the company medic has no morphine for the pain. Be sure to express your deepest feelings and frustrations.
Essay Topic 2
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
Essay Topic 3
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)