|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
2. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
3. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
4. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
5. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caputo recall as he leaves the country in a CH-53 helicopter loaded with evacuees?
2. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
3. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
4. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
5. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
6. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
7. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
8. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
9. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
10. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
Essay Topic 2
Do a creative writing piece in which you are a private or corporal in the military, sitting in a cane field at night, listening to the moans of fellow military men because the Medivac helicopters cannot get to you and the company medic has no morphine for the pain. Be sure to express your deepest feelings and frustrations.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the American withdrawal from Vietnam. It has gone down in history as the first war the Americans ever lost. Express your opinion in the paper about how the pullout affected the worldwide view of America as a Democracy.
This section contains 1,787 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)