|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
2. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
3. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
4. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
5. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
2. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
3. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
4. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
5. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
6. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
7. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
8. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
9. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
10. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about understanding different cultures. Use examples from the book to show that people of different cultures often do not understand each other. A good example is the old Vietnamese man trying to sell pornographic pictures to Caputo and his men. He, like so many Asians, had the idea that all Americans are addicted to sexual laxity and vulgarity. On the other hand, the Americans often could not understand the stoic nature of the Vietnamese who show little emotion regardless of circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)