|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo almost trip over going through the high grass?
2. What do they learn about military plans in the bush?
3. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
4. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
5. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
2. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
3. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
4. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
5. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
6. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
7. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
8. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
9. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
10. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about understanding different cultures. Use examples from the book to show that people of different cultures often do not understand each other. A good example is the old Vietnamese man trying to sell pornographic pictures to Caputo and his men. He, like so many Asians, had the idea that all Americans are addicted to sexual laxity and vulgarity. On the other hand, the Americans often could not understand the stoic nature of the Vietnamese who show little emotion regardless of circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Caputo discusses the deterioration of morals as the war goes on. Write your opinion about how extremely adverse situations may affect human morality. Give examples from the book of behavior in Vietnam that would not even be considered in main street USA.
Essay Topic 3
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)