Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
2. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
3. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
4. What is Big Ivan?
5. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
2. What does Caputo recall as he leaves the country in a CH-53 helicopter loaded with evacuees?
3. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
4. What is Caputo doing back in Vietnam in 1975?
5. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
6. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
7. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
8. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
9. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
10. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
Essay Topic 1
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
Essay Topic 2
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)