|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
2. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
3. Why throw a grenade instead of firing a rifle in the dark?
4. Where does Caputo go for advanced training?
5. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
2. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
3. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
4. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
5. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
6. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
7. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
8. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
9. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
10. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 2
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
Essay Topic 3
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)