|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
2. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
3. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
4. How does the adjutant's quarters look as Caputo returns to Vietnam?
5. What is the misconception the platoon has when they are deployed to Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
2. What is the sound of 155mm artillery firing?
3. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
4. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
5. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
6. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
7. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
8. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
9. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
10. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the need of many men to prove their manhood. Express your opinion as to why this is something Caputo mentions several times in the book. Besides war, what are ways some men choose to prove to themselves that they are real men? Express your opinion as to whether such behavior is necessary.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)