|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo say about the VC guerrillas being everywhere?
2. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
3. Who are the only adults who pay attention to the Marines as they pass through Dogpatch?
4. What is the landmark near C Company's assignment southwest of Danang?
5. When the wounded VC's trail leads around a bend in the river, what choices does Caputo have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
2. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
3. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
4. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
5. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
6. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
7. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
8. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
9. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
10. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 2
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 3
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)