|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
2. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
3. Where is Caputo's first command?
4. What is the misconception the platoon has when they are deployed to Vietnam?
5. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Communist stronghold that Caputo first sees in Vietnam.
2. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
3. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
4. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
5. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
6. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
7. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
8. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
9. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
10. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about understanding different cultures. Use examples from the book to show that people of different cultures often do not understand each other. A good example is the old Vietnamese man trying to sell pornographic pictures to Caputo and his men. He, like so many Asians, had the idea that all Americans are addicted to sexual laxity and vulgarity. On the other hand, the Americans often could not understand the stoic nature of the Vietnamese who show little emotion regardless of circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)