|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are on a helicopter team?
2. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
3. What does Lemmon say they are trying to do while the Howies are strafing the area?
4. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
5. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
2. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
3. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
4. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
5. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
6. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
7. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
8. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
9. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
10. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about understanding different cultures. Use examples from the book to show that people of different cultures often do not understand each other. A good example is the old Vietnamese man trying to sell pornographic pictures to Caputo and his men. He, like so many Asians, had the idea that all Americans are addicted to sexual laxity and vulgarity. On the other hand, the Americans often could not understand the stoic nature of the Vietnamese who show little emotion regardless of circumstances.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the American withdrawal from Vietnam. It has gone down in history as the first war the Americans ever lost. Express your opinion in the paper about how the pullout affected the worldwide view of America as a Democracy.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)