|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
2. What happens with the ARVN scouts in the first offensive action?
3. Where does Caputo go for advanced training?
4. What do they experience on their first night?
5. Why are the Medivac helicopters unable to land to pick up casualties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
2. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
3. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
4. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
5. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
6. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
7. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
8. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
9. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
10. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the morality of war. Express your opinion as to whether war has ever in the history of the world accomplished good. Add to your paper ideas about how wars may be avoided in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Hatred is mentioned several times in the book. It often takes over when circumstances are frustrating and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. Write how the Marines in Vietnam often felt this way when they knew more about what was going on than the men safely back at HQ who were planning the moves of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)