|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
2. What is the first offensive mission?
3. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
4. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
5. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
2. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
3. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
4. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
5. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
6. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
7. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
8. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
9. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
10. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 2
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Do a creative writing piece in which you are a private or corporal in the military, sitting in a cane field at night, listening to the moans of fellow military men because the Medivac helicopters cannot get to you and the company medic has no morphine for the pain. Be sure to express your deepest feelings and frustrations.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)