|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
2. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
3. Why is Caputo relieved that the dead boy had no identification on him?
4. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
5. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
2. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
3. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
4. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
5. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
6. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
7. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
8. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
9. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
10. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)