Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
2. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
3. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
4. What is Big Ivan?
5. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
2. What does Caputo recall as he leaves the country in a CH-53 helicopter loaded with evacuees?
3. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
4. What is Caputo doing back in Vietnam in 1975?
5. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
6. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
7. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
8. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
9. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
10. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
Essay Topic 1
Caputo discusses the deterioration of morals as the war goes on. Write your opinion about how extremely adverse situations may affect human morality. Give examples from the book of behavior in Vietnam that would not even be considered in main street USA.
Essay Topic 2
Hatred is mentioned several times in the book. It often takes over when circumstances are frustrating and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. Write how the Marines in Vietnam often felt this way when they knew more about what was going on than the men safely back at HQ who were planning the moves of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)