Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
2. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
3. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
4. What is Big Ivan?
5. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
2. What does Caputo recall as he leaves the country in a CH-53 helicopter loaded with evacuees?
3. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
4. What is Caputo doing back in Vietnam in 1975?
5. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
6. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
7. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
8. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
9. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
10. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
Essay Topic 1
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 3
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)