|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
2. What do they hear about right away?
3. At what age does Philip Caputo enlist in the Marine Corps?
4. What do they learn about military plans in the bush?
5. What is the aim of Caputo's first entry into combat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
2. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
3. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
4. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
5. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
6. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
7. Describe the Communist stronghold that Caputo first sees in Vietnam.
8. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
9. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
10. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about understanding different cultures. Use examples from the book to show that people of different cultures often do not understand each other. A good example is the old Vietnamese man trying to sell pornographic pictures to Caputo and his men. He, like so many Asians, had the idea that all Americans are addicted to sexual laxity and vulgarity. On the other hand, the Americans often could not understand the stoic nature of the Vietnamese who show little emotion regardless of circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)