|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
2. What do they experience on their first night?
3. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
4. How do the Marines return to base camp?
5. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
2. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
3. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
4. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
5. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
6. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
7. How does the platoon snap and go on a rampage/
8. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
9. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
10. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
Essay Topic 1
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the idealism of the young and inexperienced. Use Caputo and his platoon leaving Okinawa convinced they could end the war in a matter of days and the new arrivals of Battalion one-three as your examples. If possible relate that to some time in your life when you thought something might be a simple matter to solve even when more experienced people were telling you it was more difficult than you thought.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the morality of war. Express your opinion as to whether war has ever in the history of the world accomplished good. Add to your paper ideas about how wars may be avoided in the future.
This section contains 1,795 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)