|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the only adults who pay attention to the Marines as they pass through Dogpatch?
2. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
3. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
4. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
5. What is the feeling of the brigade as the offensive begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
2. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
3. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
4. After a group of VC disappears once again, what does Caputo want to believe?
5. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
6. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
7. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
8. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
9. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
10. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how something that is at first repulsive and horrible can become so common place that it is scarcely given any thought later on. Use Caputo's experience as the Officer In Charge of the Dead. Relate that to civilian activities such as undertakers, doctors and nurses, and other such professions.
Essay Topic 2
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the idealism of the young and inexperienced. Use Caputo and his platoon leaving Okinawa convinced they could end the war in a matter of days and the new arrivals of Battalion one-three as your examples. If possible relate that to some time in your life when you thought something might be a simple matter to solve even when more experienced people were telling you it was more difficult than you thought.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)