|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
2. How many men are on a helicopter team?
3. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
4. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
5. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
2. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
3. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
4. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
5. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
6. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
7. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
8. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
9. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
10. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
Essay Topic 2
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
Essay Topic 3
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)