|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
2. What does Lemmon tell Caputo that Sullivan is doing when he gets shot?
3. What does Caputo say about the VC guerrillas being everywhere?
4. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
5. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
2. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
3. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
4. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
5. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
6. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
7. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
8. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
9. How serious are the results of the assault?
10. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
Essay Topic 1
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 2
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the extreme brainwashing techniques used on Marines to turn them into savage killers. Write a paper discussing this practice and whether you think it is necessary. If not, what would you suggest to prepare men for war?
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)