|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
2. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
3. How long do Caputo and his platoon continue guarding the parameters at Danang?
4. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
5. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
2. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
3. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
4. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
5. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
6. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
7. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
8. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
9. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
10. Describe the Communist stronghold that Caputo first sees in Vietnam.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 2
Self-preservation is a big consideration for anyone. In the case of Vietnam, there was no way to look at a person and know if he or she was South Vietnamese or VietCong. Write your opinion about the moral dilemma of having to make such a determination and whether it is right to err on the side of personal safety.
Essay Topic 3
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)