|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
2. What does he imagine being in the military will be like?
3. What do they experience on their first night?
4. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
5. How do the Marines return to base camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
2. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
3. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
4. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
5. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
6. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
7. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
8. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
9. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
10. Describe the Communist stronghold that Caputo first sees in Vietnam.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 2
Hatred is mentioned several times in the book. It often takes over when circumstances are frustrating and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. Write how the Marines in Vietnam often felt this way when they knew more about what was going on than the men safely back at HQ who were planning the moves of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Hurry up and wait is a common complaint in the military. However, it is not a phenomenon limited to the armed forces. Write a paper discussing everyday situations where we must meet appointments only to have to sit and wait. [e.g., the doctor's or dentist's office, the DMV, a long line at a movie premier, etc.] Make this paper as humorous as possible.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)