|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Medivac helicopters unable to land to pick up casualties?
2. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
3. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
4. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
5. How is pursuit defined in the jungle of Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Communist stronghold that Caputo first sees in Vietnam.
2. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
3. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
4. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
5. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
6. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
7. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
8. What is the sound of 155mm artillery firing?
9. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
10. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in the book is fear. Using examples of extreme fear in the book, write a paper about how fear can cause people to do things they would not normally do. You may want to relate this to a personal example of behavior when you were very frightened.
Essay Topic 2
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
Essay Topic 3
Now that you have read about the experiences of the Marines in Vietnam, write a paper about how difficult it probably was for most of them to step back into civil society at home. Perhaps you have known of someone coming back from a war who had a problem readjusting. Give your opinion about the responsibility of the people who send young men to war in helping to rehabilitate them after they return.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)