|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
2. What does Caputo call the training for war?
3. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
4. What casualties are suffered during the next two days?
5. What booby traps are observed on the trail after fording the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caputo recall as he leaves the country in a CH-53 helicopter loaded with evacuees?
2. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
3. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
4. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
5. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
6. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
7. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
8. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
9. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
10. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
Essay Topic 2
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the idealism of the young and inexperienced. Use Caputo and his platoon leaving Okinawa convinced they could end the war in a matter of days and the new arrivals of Battalion one-three as your examples. If possible relate that to some time in your life when you thought something might be a simple matter to solve even when more experienced people were telling you it was more difficult than you thought.
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)