Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
2. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
3. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
4. What is Big Ivan?
5. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
2. What does Caputo recall as he leaves the country in a CH-53 helicopter loaded with evacuees?
3. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
4. What is Caputo doing back in Vietnam in 1975?
5. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
6. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
7. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
8. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
9. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
10. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
Essay Topic 1
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
Essay Topic 2
Caputo discusses the deterioration of morals as the war goes on. Write your opinion about how extremely adverse situations may affect human morality. Give examples from the book of behavior in Vietnam that would not even be considered in main street USA.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the idealism of the young and inexperienced. Use Caputo and his platoon leaving Okinawa convinced they could end the war in a matter of days and the new arrivals of Battalion one-three as your examples. If possible relate that to some time in your life when you thought something might be a simple matter to solve even when more experienced people were telling you it was more difficult than you thought.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)