|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first offensive mission?
2. What casualties are suffered during the next two days?
3. How is pursuit defined in the jungle of Vietnam?
4. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
5. What are some of the things Caputo learns in Marine training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
2. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
3. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
4. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
5. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
6. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
7. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
8. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
9. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
10. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the colonel who had bodies dug up to show a visiting general and the colonel who wanted his horseshoe pitch done during preparations for a VC offensive, discuss in a paper how some people rise to the top without having the necessary qualifications. Discuss in the paper whether you think this is a phenomenon limited to the military.
Essay Topic 2
There was a great deal of resistance to erecting the Vietnam Memorial in Washington D. C. Part of that was because many returning veterans, like Caputo, sympathized with the anti-war movement in America. Do some research on that movement and write your opinion about it. If you had lived in that time, which side of the argument would you have been on?
Essay Topic 3
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)