|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
2. What does Caputo call the training for war?
3. What does Lemmon tell Caputo that Sullivan is doing when he gets shot?
4. How do the Marines return to base camp?
5. Who are the only adults who pay attention to the Marines as they pass through Dogpatch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
2. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
3. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
4. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
5. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
6. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
7. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
8. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
9. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
10. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the American withdrawal from Vietnam. It has gone down in history as the first war the Americans ever lost. Express your opinion in the paper about how the pullout affected the worldwide view of America as a Democracy.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
Essay Topic 3
Mob frenzy is an interesting phenomenon. Starting from the total destruction of the village after the Claymore wounded or killed so many men, write a paper on mob mentality and how it causes people to get caught up in the moment without thinking. Compare that to some incident in recent history that you know about.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)