|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
(b) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
(c) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
(d) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
2. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
(a) The mosquitoes swarm outside his tent.
(b) The big guns fire all night and he cannot sleep.
(c) The base HQ comes under fire.
(d) He has dreams of Sullivan and the dead VC.
3. What are the Marines doing in the truck beds?
(a) Staying down under cover
(b) Holding up their rifles and yelling
(c) Firing at will
(d) Singing the Marine Hymn
4. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(b) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(c) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
(d) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
5. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
(a) They cannot fire off of a slope.
(b) They are out of range.
(c) The mortars are frozen up.
(d) The men with mortars were all KIA.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
2. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
3. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
4. What does GSW stand for?
5. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
2. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
3. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
4. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
5. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
6. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
7. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
8. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
9. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
10. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)