|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) They hav better munitions.
(b) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
(c) The element of surprise is on their side.
(d) They outnumber them.
2. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
(a) They will make nice wall decorations at home.
(b) Who needs medals; give him a discharge.
(c) They are not real. It is all a big publicity stunt.
(d) The gold one they pin on you and the wooden one they put over you.
3. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
(b) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
(c) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
(d) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
4. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(b) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(c) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(d) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
5. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
(a) Operation Long Lance
(b) Operation Skyhawk
(c) Operation Ha Na
(d) Operation Mountain Storm
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
2. Who has noticed the relaxed camp arrangements and tries to correct them?
3. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
4. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
5. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
2. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
3. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
4. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
5. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
6. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
7. What are some of the contradictions Caputo itemizes about the war?
8. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
9. What is so frustrating to Caputo during the trial?
10. Why is the chaplain upset?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)