|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that Captain Neal wants from the platoon?
(a) VC bodies
(c) A share of their cheese
(d) Better marksmanship
2. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
(a) It is dead with no one working in the paddies.
(b) It is busy transplanting people to another area of the country.
(c) It is life as usual, working in the rice paddies.
(d) It is filled with apprehension about the VC.
3. What exhilarates Caputo after the Hoi-Vuc village wipe out?
(a) The prospect of a medal
(b) The close combat with the remaining VC
(c) The congratulations from his men
(d) The perfect way his platoon has performed.
4. Why is there a great deal of physical work to be done as the monsoon season begins?
(a) The Regimental HQ is moved near the Dai-La pass.
(b) The airfield is flooded and has to be elevated.
(c) New tents and buildings have to be erected.
(d) Flood drain ditches have to be dug.
5. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
(a) Any Marine who kills a VC will be flown back to base camp.
(b) Any Marine who kills a certified VC will get beer and time to drink it.
(c) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a week's R and R.
(d) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
2. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
3. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
4. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
5. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
2. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
3. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
4. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
5. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
6. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
7. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
8. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
9. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
10. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)