|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(b) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
(c) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(d) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
2. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
(b) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(c) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(d) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
3. What is going on inside the operations tent the night of the assault?
(a) The lights are put out so that the VC cannot see it as a target.
(b) There is confusion and the colonel is staring at the map.
(c) Everything is in order and quiet.
(d) Platoon leaders are being briefed on what to do.
4. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
(a) Spaghetti and a bottle of Chianti
(b) Six hamburgers and a pitcher of beer
(c) Chateaubriand and a bottle of red wine
(d) Rice with nouac-mam sauce
5. Who was the first KIA in 1st Battalion?
(a) Peterson, who had been transferred.
(c) The Battilion commander
(d) Corpsman Levy, a man Caputo knew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
2. What are SLJOs?
3. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
4. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
5. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
2. What is the condition of the radio when Caputo gets it from inside the bunker?
3. Coming across a clearing, how does Caputo manage to get to the other side?
4. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
5. Why does Caputo order the village fired upon by white phosphorus shells?
6. Why is the old Vietnamese man lucky the night of the interrogation?
7. How serious are the results of the assault?
8. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
9. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
10. Why is the chaplain upset?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)