|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
(a) Rock apes descend on the outpost.
(b) Enemy fighters fly overhead.
(c) A VC almost infiltrates the outpost.
(d) The fighting begins to move up the hill.
2. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
(a) Getting the approval of his superiors
(b) Getting enough sleep
(c) Getting a Washington desk job
(d) Drinking and partying
3. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
(b) Hatred for everything and everyone around you
(d) Problems remembering specific things
4. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
(a) If he attempts to hide, he is a Viet Cong.
(b) If he is dead and Vietnamese, he is a Viet Cong.
(c) If the acts suspiciously, he is a Viet Cong.
(d) If he has a Russian made gun, he is a Viet Cong.
5. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
(a) Officers Basic School
(b) NCO School
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) Quantico, VA
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two problems Caputo says are the worst while they guard the landing field?
2. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
3. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
4. What does Caputo almost trip over going through the high grass?
5. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
2. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
3. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
4. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
5. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
6. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
7. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
8. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
9. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
10. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)