|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
(a) Not to light up a cigarette
(b) Not to shout orders to his men
(c) Not to lead a forced march
(d) Not to stand up and give arm signals
2. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That some general has a loose screw.
(b) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(c) That is because of political infighting.
(d) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
3. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The chaplains
(b) The prostitutes
(c) The telephone operators
(d) The messhall cooks
4. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
(a) They do not want to deprive the children.
(b) They have no time to drink a Coke.
(c) Coke is a weapon often laced with poison or ground glass.
(d) In that weather the Cokes are all spoiled.
5. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like standing in a high wind
(b) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
(c) Like a falling brick
(d) Like a run down a ski slope
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
2. What is Big Ivan?
3. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
4. What booby traps are observed on the trail after fording the river?
5. What does he imagine being in the military will be like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corporal Stasek say about the bodies the colonel wants left out for the clerks and General Thompson to see?
2. What is Caputo's opinion of Maj-Gen Lew Walt the night of the first VC assault on the battalion base camp?
3. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
4. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
5. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
6. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
7. Why does Caputo volunteer for the line?
8. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
9. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
10. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)