|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
(b) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
(c) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
(d) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
2. What does Lemmon tell Caputo that Sullivan is doing when he gets shot?
(a) Patrolling the area
(b) Operating the radio
(c) Cleaning his rifle
(d) Filling canteens at the river
3. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
(a) They go on an aircraft carrier.
(b) They ship out on giant C-130 planes.
(c) They go on PT boats up the China Sea.
(d) They go in a PanAm chartered plane.
4. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
(a) Yes, but he is too stunned to know what to do.
(b) No, he calls the OD to make sure.
(c) No, he ignores it and goes on drinking.
(d) Yes, he runs to the base to start packing.
5. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(b) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
(c) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
(d) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result for half of the men after they return from Cinderella Liberty?
2. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
3. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
4. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
5. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
2. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
3. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
4. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
5. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
6. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
7. After a group of VC disappears once again, what does Caputo want to believe?
8. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
9. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
10. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)