|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
(a) It is the sadness of seeing his friends changed.
(b) It is the remorse of not having been with his men.
(c) It is the first time he feelst the slimy, hollow-cold fear of death.
(d) It is the detachment of unreality.
2. Why are the Medivac helicopters unable to land to pick up casualties?
(a) The Howies had destroyed the terraine
(b) The LZ is under enemy machine gun fire.
(c) It was too windy for helicopters to fly
(d) The VC had set the LZ on fire
3. What booby traps are observed on the trail after fording the river?
(a) Poison stakes placed so that they are unseen until they scratch the skin
(b) Trenches, spider holes for snipers, pangee traps, and rows of sharp, angled stakes
(c) Vines rigged to pull a man into the air
(d) Trip wires and mines
4. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
(a) He will never get to see military action.
(b) Battles are fought in the jungle with Viet Cong who refuse to play by the rules learned in military training.
(c) He has made a big mistake in joining the Marines.
(d) He has not been properly prepared by the Marines.
5. How does the adjutant's quarters look as Caputo returns to Vietnam?
(a) A dugout with sandbag walls and a bamboo roof
(b) A water-soaked tent with makeshift furniture
(c) A revamped box car
(d) A prefab building with airconditioning
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
2. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
3. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
4. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
5. What looks beautiful from the hill but becomes ominous up close?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
2. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
3. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
4. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
5. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
6. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
7. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
8. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
9. Describe the Communist stronghold that Caputo first sees in Vietnam.
10. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)