|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Caputo drinks with some Australian soldiers?
(a) He gets drunk and wakes up the next morning in a bargirl's room.
(b) He ends up having to pay for the drinks.
(c) He has one drink and leaves before things get out of hand.
(d) He drinks the Aussies under the table.
2. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
(b) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
(c) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(d) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
3. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
(a) Getting the approval of his superiors
(b) Drinking and partying
(c) Getting enough sleep
(d) Getting a Washington desk job
4. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
(a) That it will actually be one of their own men.
(b) That he could be hidden waiting to take some of them with him.
(c) That his wounds are not serious and he would get away.
(d) That they would not find him alive to take as a prisoner.
5. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
(a) No, he ignores it and goes on drinking.
(b) No, he calls the OD to make sure.
(c) Yes, he runs to the base to start packing.
(d) Yes, but he is too stunned to know what to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens for about twenty-five of the men?
2. What lesson does Caputo learn that contradicts what he learned at Quantico?
3. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
4. When the Vietnamese children try to sell bottles of Coke, why do the men refuse them?
5. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
2. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
3. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
4. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
5. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
6. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
7. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
8. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
9. What do they find when they rush a base camp near the LZ?
10. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)