|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why throw a grenade instead of firing a rifle in the dark?
(a) The rifle fire could give away the soldier's position.
(b) The grenade will cover more territory.
(c) Grenades make more noise.
(d) Rifle fire is a waste of ammunition.
2. How long do Caputo and his platoon continue guarding the parameters at Danang?
(a) Six months
(b) Seven weeks
(c) Over a month
(d) Six days
3. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The number of enemy corpses
(b) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
(c) The cessation of sniper fire
(d) The cooperation of the ARVN
4. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
(a) He changes a captain's orders.
(b) He takes a nap while waiting for orders.
(c) He orders a retreat.
(d) He lights up a cigarette.
5. What casualties are suffered during the next two days?
(a) No one is hit by enemy fire but six men have heatstroke.
(b) Two Marines are slightly wounded and others fall to the sun.
(c) One more Marine is killed and several have a fever.
(d) Two Marines are slightly wounded and a third is critical.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prognosis for Powell's recovery after his heatstroke?
2. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
3. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
4. What does Lieutenant Tester want to know about Caputo's trip to Japan?
5. After graduation from Loyola College, where does Caputo go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
2. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
3. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
4. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
5. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
6. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
7. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
8. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
9. After a group of VC disappears once again, what does Caputo want to believe?
10. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)