|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(b) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
(c) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
(d) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
2. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
(a) Getting enough sleep
(b) Getting a Washington desk job
(c) Drinking and partying
(d) Getting the approval of his superiors
3. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
(a) The cessation of sniper fire
(b) The cooperation of the ARVN
(c) The time it takes to finish clearing the area
(d) The number of enemy corpses
4. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
(a) He comments on the smell of spent ammunition and the sound of beetles.
(b) He mentions the oil and solvent used for cleaning rifles and the metallic sound of cleaning rods.
(c) He mentions the smell of sweaty uniforms and the sound of the field radio.
(d) He mentions the smell of insect repellent and the sound of mosquitoes.
5. What does Caputo say about the significance of a single death in war?
(a) One developes a sense of better him than me.
(b) After experiencing many deaths, the impact of one death diminishes.
(c) No matter how many you see, it never diminishes in effect.
(d) After so long a time, it has no significance at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
2. What is the real resistance walking from the L to the Vietnamese village?
3. How long do Caputo and his platoon continue guarding the parameters at Danang?
4. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
5. What irony does Caputo see in the guerrilla warfare manual he had studied in the States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
2. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
3. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
4. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
5. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
6. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
7. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
8. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
9. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
10. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)