|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(b) That some general has a loose screw.
(c) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
(d) That is because of political infighting.
2. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
(a) Back up the hill to retrieve his belongings.
(b) To battalion HQ for a briefing.
(c) To the officers mess to get something to eat.
(d) Back to Danang for a 2-day liberty.
3. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
(a) It is the sadness of seeing his friends changed.
(b) It is the first time he feelst the slimy, hollow-cold fear of death.
(c) It is the remorse of not having been with his men.
(d) It is the detachment of unreality.
4. What becomes of Vietnamese wounded in battle or victims of landmines?
(a) They are left to beg on the streets.
(b) They take desk jobs in their headquarters.
(c) They are usually shot.
(d) They are put up in retirement homes.
5. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like a run down a ski slope
(b) Like a falling brick
(c) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
(d) Like standing in a high wind
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they hear about right away?
2. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
3. What is Caputo's impression of the adjutant?
4. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
5. How does the adjutant's quarters look as Caputo returns to Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
2. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
3. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
4. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
5. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
6. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
7. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
8. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
9. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
10. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)