|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is pursuit defined in the jungle of Vietnam?
(a) A joyous chase
(b) As a regular forward march
(c) A vicious, mud-bound manhunt
(d) Like a surreal track meet
2. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
(a) Sounds of combat in the distance
(b) Roar of reconnaisance planes flying over
(c) Total silence that is eerily unreal
(d) Deceptive sounds that keep everyone on edge
3. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(b) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
(c) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(d) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
4. What are the two problems Caputo says are the worst while they guard the landing field?
(a) The long days and short nights
(b) The heat and boredom
(c) The mosquitos and the pythons
(d) The rain and bad food
5. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
(a) The men are learning to hate those who give succor to the enemy.
(b) There is great shock at how they went mad in the destruction.
(c) The men wonder if that could ever happen in America.
(d) They are believing that there are no civilians in war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the village of Hua-Vuc conjure up in the minds of the Marines?
2. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
3. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
4. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
5. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
2. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
3. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
4. Describe the Ruff-Puff's activity around the Beau Geste watchtowers.
5. What is Caputo doing back in Vietnam in 1975?
6. What does Caputo recall when the helicopter he is in draws ground fire?
7. Why does it take so long to launch Operation Long Lance?
8. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
9. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
10. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)