|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What place do they pass through on the fourth day?
(a) The small camp where they found the documents
(b) Giao-Tri, the village they had destroyed
(c) They have to recross the muddy river
(d) They pass through the LZ which has been destroyed
2. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
(a) Total silence that is eerily unreal
(b) Deceptive sounds that keep everyone on edge
(c) Roar of reconnaisance planes flying over
(d) Sounds of combat in the distance
3. How does Caputo describe the descent of a helicopter?
(a) Like standing in a high wind
(b) Like a falling brick
(c) Like a roller coaster or a canoe rushing down the rapids
(d) Like a run down a ski slope
4. How does the Marine frontal assault look to Caputo?
(a) Like Hannibal crossing the Alps.
(b) Like a perfect military maneuver
(c) Like a snake with two heads
(d) Nothing like the practice attacks at Quantico
5. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
(a) He mentions the oil and solvent used for cleaning rifles and the metallic sound of cleaning rods.
(b) He mentions the smell of sweaty uniforms and the sound of the field radio.
(c) He comments on the smell of spent ammunition and the sound of beetles.
(d) He mentions the smell of insect repellent and the sound of mosquitoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the wounded VC's trail leads around a bend in the river, what choices does Caputo have?
2. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
3. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
4. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
5. What game are Campbell and Greene playing in the NCO's tent when Caputo enters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
2. Early on the morning of his first assignment to go into combat, what fantasy goes through Caputo's head?
3. What is the sound of 155mm artillery firing?
4. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
5. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
6. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
7. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
8. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
9. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
10. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)