|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
(a) That the war had already effectively divided the country in half.
(b) That Americans would not be supplied with live ammunition.
(c) That it is defensive only to free the ARVN to fight their war.
(d) That the Americans would never launch a full scale offensive.
2. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
(a) They are all homesick and want to go back home.
(b) They all have the same tattoos.
(c) They all have the desire to stop sitting around and get to the business of war.
(d) They all think they made a big mistake by enlisting.
3. What do Caputo and his men discover as they pursue the wounded VC?
(a) A woman carrying a baby
(b) A tunnel too small for a Marine to enter
(c) A cache of modern weapons
(d) A small base camp
4. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
(a) As an occasion for excitement and danger
(b) As financial security for the rest of his life
(c) As good training for surviving natural disasters
(d) As an easy way to make money
5. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
(a) FDR's "Nothing to Fear" speech.
(b) King's "I have a dream" speech.
(c) Marc Anthony's "I came not to praise Caesar" speech
(d) Kennedy's inaugral "Ask what you can do for your country" speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is to be the measure of victory in the battle?
2. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
3. Who are the only adults who pay attention to the Marines as they pass through Dogpatch?
4. What are the two problems Caputo says are the worst while they guard the landing field?
5. What is the aim of Caputo's first entry into combat?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
2. What is Caputo doing back in Vietnam in 1975?
3. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
4. Why are the VC attacking with small arms each night for several days?
5. Describe the Marines in Caputo's dream platoon.
6. What effect does Colonel Nickerson have on the morale of the Marines?
7. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
8. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
9. What becomes Caputo's chief responsibility and how does he begin to see himself?
10. Why are the men of C Company pleased about the treats sent to them?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)