|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Vietnamese children doing as the Marine trucks pass through the village called Dogpatch?
(a) Throwing rocks at the trucks
(b) Begging for candy and cigarettes
(c) Dancing on the edge of the dusty road
(d) Playing rock music on radios
2. What is the aim of Caputo's first entry into combat?
(a) Set up an outpost.
(b) Scare the Viet Cong into retreat.
(c) Find a battalion and destroy it.
(d) Look for snipers and take them out.
3. What position does Battalion Headquarters take on identifying a Viet Cong?
(a) If he has a Russian made gun, he is a Viet Cong.
(b) If the acts suspiciously, he is a Viet Cong.
(c) If he is dead and Vietnamese, he is a Viet Cong.
(d) If he attempts to hide, he is a Viet Cong.
4. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He suspects an ambush.
(b) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
(c) He does not want combat going up a hill.
(d) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
5. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
(b) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
(c) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
(d) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
2. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
3. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
4. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
5. What becomes of Vietnamese wounded in battle or victims of landmines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
2. After a group of VC disappears once again, what does Caputo want to believe?
3. What is it like for Caputo as they march back through Giao-Tri?
4. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
5. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
6. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
7. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
8. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
9. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
10. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)