|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Caputo go after being shown his sleeping quarters?
(a) Back up the hill to retrieve his belongings.
(b) To battalion HQ for a briefing.
(c) To the officers mess to get something to eat.
(d) Back to Danang for a 2-day liberty.
2. What is the concern when they follow another VC blood trail?
(a) That he could be hidden waiting to take some of them with him.
(b) That it will actually be one of their own men.
(c) That they would not find him alive to take as a prisoner.
(d) That his wounds are not serious and he would get away.
3. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
(a) An open attack is launched by the Viet Cong.
(b) A private is killed by friendly fire.
(c) Dozens of B-52 bombers land to rearm.
(d) A dog is blown up as is a sandbag between two men in a foxhole.
4. What do the bar girls insist on before they will leave with a Marine?
(a) He must buy them one drink.
(b) He must get tested by a vietnamese doctor.
(c) He must go shower.
(d) He must pay them up front for their services.
5. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
(a) Getting a tour of the area
(b) Packing and piling sandbags and digging foxholes and ditches
(c) Looking for a place to put their tents
(d) Reading field manuals
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
2. What does Caputo speculate about in regard to mines remaining in an area where the RPs are supposed to have cleared them?
3. What looks beautiful from the hill but becomes ominous up close?
4. Where does Caputo go for advanced training?
5. In this first offensive, how do Caputo and his men see themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
2. After a group of VC disappears once again, what does Caputo want to believe?
3. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
4. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
5. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
6. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
7. What does Caputo say about the effect of his job as Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer?
8. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
9. What work has to be done as the Regimental HQ is moved to Dai-La Pass?
10. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)