|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How frightened she looks.
(b) How she covers her face with a scarf.
(c) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
(d) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
2. What event does Caputo recall that further dims the idea of glamor in war?
(a) An outbreak of malaria
(b) The crash of a Marine helicopter
(c) A visit to the field hospital
(d) Watching one of his men shot and killed by a sniper
3. What is the change that takes place at Hill 327?
(a) The plan changes from defensive to offensive.
(b) More work is done during the night than in the day.
(c) The junior officers are all given new commands.
(d) The food improves with better suply lines.
4. Why are the Medivac helicopters unable to land to pick up casualties?
(a) The VC had set the LZ on fire
(b) It was too windy for helicopters to fly
(c) The Howies had destroyed the terraine
(d) The LZ is under enemy machine gun fire.
5. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
(a) The enlisted men do not trust Caputo, the officer.
(b) They end up in a brawl until the MPs arrive.
(c) The conversation is muddled and Caputo gives up.
(d) They become closer and Caputo listens to their advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they learn about military plans in the bush?
2. What does Caputo say about the VC guerrillas being everywhere?
3. What happens for about twenty-five of the men?
4. When does Caputo say is the only bearable time of day in Vietnam?
5. What is the landmark near C Company's assignment southwest of Danang?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the advantage on Hill 268 where Caputo's company is poistioned?
2. What mistake happens when they fire a three-point-five at the sniper who got Sullivan?
3. What is the sound of 155mm artillery firing?
4. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
5. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
6. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
7. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
8. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
9. After a group of VC disappears once again, what does Caputo want to believe?
10. How do Caputo and his 40-odd men get transported to the war zone?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)