|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
(a) Many of them had gone AWOL.
(b) They hear the news and do not want to be found.
(c) They had gone on a night training hike.
(d) It is Sunday and they are all over the island.
2. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How she covers her face with a scarf.
(b) How frightened she looks.
(c) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
(d) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
3. What does Caputo say about the VC guerrillas being everywhere?
(a) It is another way of saying nowhere.
(b) They have to suppose that any Vietnamese is a VC.
(c) The VC know all the secrets of the jungles and tall grasses.
(d) The Americans are always outnumbered.
4. What irony does Caputo see in the guerrilla warfare manual he had studied in the States?
(a) The idea that the jungle is only trees.
(b) The statement that one should not be afraid of the jungle.
(c) The remark that the jungle is only in Africa.
(d) The suggestion that the enemy could not advance in the jungle.
5. How long do Caputo and his platoon continue guarding the parameters at Danang?
(a) Six days
(b) Over a month
(c) Seven weeks
(d) Six months
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo say accounts for many other casualties?
2. What is Big Ivan?
3. Why is Caputo relieved that the dead boy had no identification on him?
4. A book by what author is Caputo trying to read while waiting at the outpost on top of a hill?
5. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Caputo says is the worst thing about hiking in the jungle.
2. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
3. What always comes to Caputo's mind when he thinks of basic training?
4. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
5. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
6. What is it like going back toward Charlie Ridge?
7. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
8. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
9. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
10. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)