|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the wounded VC's trail leads around a bend in the river, what choices does Caputo have?
(a) Go around the bend himself or send a volunteer.
(b) Go after him and risk an ambush or turn around and go back.
(c) Assume the VC is dead or wait and watch for some movement.
(d) Call for air cover or send a RP scout in to take a look.
2. What occurs as Caputo walks through the elephant grass in the jungle?
(a) He walks up on an Asian elephant.
(b) He is almost shot by Lance Corporal Skates.
(c) He comes face to face with a viet Cong.
(d) He steps on a land mine that fortunately does not detonate.
3. Why does Peterson call for an air strike on Hill 107?
(a) He suspects an ambush.
(b) He has spotted Viet cong movement on the hill.
(c) He does not want combat going up a hill.
(d) He intercepts a viet Cong communication.
4. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
(a) They ship out on giant C-130 planes.
(b) They go on PT boats up the China Sea.
(c) They go in a PanAm chartered plane.
(d) They go on an aircraft carrier.
5. What becomes of Vietnamese wounded in battle or victims of landmines?
(a) They are left to beg on the streets.
(b) They are put up in retirement homes.
(c) They are usually shot.
(d) They take desk jobs in their headquarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
2. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
3. What happens about two hundred yards away from the village?
4. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
5. What fills the foggy night after the pursuit of the VC and the body count?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
2. When does Caputo have his first realization of someone trying to kill him?
3. How does Caputo mention perception and locale when talking about troop size?
4. What is Caputo's troublesome encounter with Sergeant Fred Wagoner?
5. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
6. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
7. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
8. What is the sound of 155mm artillery firing?
9. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
10. Sitting in the outpost ahead of C Company, what does Caputo have difficulty remembering?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)