|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
(a) He orders a retreat.
(b) He takes a nap while waiting for orders.
(c) He changes a captain's orders.
(d) He lights up a cigarette.
2. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
(a) He attends college classes.
(b) He goes through basic training.
(c) He waits for his orders to go to basic training.
(d) He gets his physical fitness examination.
3. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
(a) Older, war experienced non-coms
(b) New recruits from Alabama
(c) A group of forty Marines in the Third Marines Division
(d) Men he went to basic training with
4. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
(a) Enemy fighters fly overhead.
(b) The fighting begins to move up the hill.
(c) A VC almost infiltrates the outpost.
(d) Rock apes descend on the outpost.
5. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
(a) That the Americans would never launch a full scale offensive.
(b) That Americans would not be supplied with live ammunition.
(c) That the war had already effectively divided the country in half.
(d) That it is defensive only to free the ARVN to fight their war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
2. How does Caputo's attempt to get closer to his men on leave in Danang work out?
3. How does Caputo describe the feelings of the men after the destruction of the village Giao-Tri?
4. Where is Caputo's first command?
5. What is the feeling of the brigade as the offensive begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the French Fort overlooking the paddies west of Hill 327.
2. Why does he say he fears being an unsat or a marginal?
3. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
4. What does the hospital corpsman tell Parker about his friend, Esposito?
5. What does Caputo sense at his old base camp when he goes to collect his belongings?
6. What does Caputo say the old salts used to tell him is the most memorable moment in an officer's life?
7. What is the first month like after the battalion reaches Vietnam?
8. How does the platoon receive Caputo's first lecture?
9. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
10. Describe the platoon sergeant, William Campbell.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)