|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who issues ID cards to the Vietnamese?
(a) Official ones by the Vietnamese government and forged ones by the VC.
(b) The US Embassy in Saigon
(c) The head man of each Vietnamese village
(d) The provencial governments in the country
2. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
(b) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
(c) Juggle them like a circus act.
(d) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
3. Why is there a great deal of physical work to be done as the monsoon season begins?
(a) New tents and buildings have to be erected.
(b) The airfield is flooded and has to be elevated.
(c) The Regimental HQ is moved near the Dai-La pass.
(d) Flood drain ditches have to be dug.
4. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
(a) He is risking his men when he lets them turn savage like that.
(b) He will be relieved of command if anything like this happens again.
(c) He may be facing a serious reprimand if it happens again.
(d) He will have to stay on the front line if he cannot control his platoon.
5. Why does Caputo lose radio contact with one of his operators?
(a) A grenade cuts the land wire.
(b) The old outdated equipment breaks down.
(c) A tree falls on the radio operator.
(d) The radio operator is shot.
6. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
(a) It comes from recall of Marines to other war fronts.
(b) It is inflicted by the enemy and by themselves.
(c) It comes through serious diseases.
(d) It happens with a large number of desertions.
7. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(a) Various shades of black
(b) Like a scary movie set
(c) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
8. Lieutenant Reason goes out leading a platoon. How does he return?
(a) Riding in a convoy truck
(b) With machine gun bullet holes stitched across his belly
(c) On a helicopter carrying one of his wounded men
(d) Leading a platoon of captured VC
9. What is the meaning of Sympathetic Detonation?
(a) Explosives that fail to detonate.
(b) Military speak for an explosion caused by a US military error.
(c) Silent explosions.
(d) Mine fields that harm only the enemy.
10. What does GSW stand for?
(a) Gold standard weapons
(b) Gone south for the winter
(c) Good strong workers
(d) Gunshot wound
11. What is the joke Sgt. Hamilton says outside the adjutant's tent?
(a) I think it's time to get out of the kitchen.
(b) Someone should tell Charlie it is three days until the Fourth of July.
(c) Charlie finally learned how to find the fuse.
(d) How do I get out of this chicken shit organization?
12. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
(a) He sees it as two months that seem like two years.
(b) It flickers on his mental screen like movies.
(c) He sees it as a total blackout, remembering nothing.
(d) He sees it in escruciating detail.
13. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Victor charlie
(b) Operation Harvest Moon
(c) Operation Hardest Mein
(d) Operation Blue Angel
14. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(b) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(c) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(d) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
15. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
(b) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(c) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(d) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
2. How much of the base does Caputo say has escaped the damage?
3. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
4. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
5. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)