|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
(a) Large birds indigenous to Vietnam
(b) Long range artillery fire from Navy ships
(c) Attack helicopters
(d) Navy bombers that drop napalm bombs on the area
2. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(b) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(c) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(d) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
3. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
(a) Getting a new command
(b) Regulating the drinking hours
(c) Speeding up the defense preparations
(d) Building a horseshoe pit
4. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
(a) D-Day in Europe
(b) His days at Quantico
(c) The taking of Phan Moon Jan
(d) The landing at Guadalcanal
5. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
(a) He punches out a PFC for talking back to him.
(b) He orders the men to drop and do pushups for him.
(c) He shouts at them for having dirty uniforms.
(d) He pulls a rifle inspection on the line and reams out the whole platoon.
6. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Juggle them like a circus act.
(b) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
(c) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
(d) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
7. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
(a) Throw loose dust on them
(b) Hose them down
(c) Strip off their uniforms
(d) Brush the dirt off
8. What does GSW stand for?
(a) Good strong workers
(b) Gunshot wound
(c) Gone south for the winter
(d) Gold standard weapons
9. What exhilarates Caputo after the Hoi-Vuc village wipe out?
(a) The prospect of a medal
(b) The close combat with the remaining VC
(c) The congratulations from his men
(d) The perfect way his platoon has performed.
10. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
(b) Wearing only his shirt
(c) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
(d) Wearing a sheet
11. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
(b) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
(c) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
(d) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
12. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(a) Like a scary movie set
(b) Various shades of black
(d) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
13. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
(a) To show the clerks what war looks like.
(b) To give the Colonel a photo opportunity.
(c) To flush out a VC infiltrator by scaring him.
(d) To remind everyone why they are here.
14. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Victor charlie
(b) Operation Hardest Mein
(c) Operation Harvest Moon
(d) Operation Blue Angel
15. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
(a) He almost never thinks about it.
(b) He is more dedicated than ever.
(c) He has the same attitude he had when he arrived.
(d) They have deteriorated to almost nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are SLJOs?
2. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
3. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
4. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
5. Who was the first KIA in 1st Battalion?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)