|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
(a) Battalion HQ is attacked by a frightened water buffalo.
(b) They have to move farther back.
(c) The officers all leave on a helicopter.
(d) Eight officers and a number of enlisted men are killed.
2. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
(b) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
(c) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
(d) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
3. Who was the first KIA in 1st Battalion?
(b) The Battilion commander
(c) Peterson, who had been transferred.
(d) Corpsman Levy, a man Caputo knew.
4. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) The element of surprise is on their side.
(b) They hav better munitions.
(c) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
(d) They outnumber them.
5. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(b) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
(c) Various shades of black
(d) Like a scary movie set
6. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
(a) The Chaplain begins holding midnight masses.
(b) VC begins a series of night sniper attacks on the base.
(c) The monsoon rains stop at night.
(d) Marines are shown movies in the mess tent.
7. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
(a) He almost never thinks about it.
(b) He is more dedicated than ever.
(c) They have deteriorated to almost nothing.
(d) He has the same attitude he had when he arrived.
8. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
(a) They get bogged down in the mud and have to fire from there.
(b) They take a wrong turn and get lost in some elephant grass.
(c) They step into a quicksand bog.
(d) A homemade Claymore is tripped and there are nine casualties.
9. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
(a) Long range artillery fire from Navy ships
(b) Attack helicopters
(c) Navy bombers that drop napalm bombs on the area
(d) Large birds indigenous to Vietnam
10. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing a sheet
(b) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
(c) Wearing only his shirt
(d) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
11. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
(a) The first grenades are duds.
(b) The first two are in the wrong place.
(c) They just want to double check.
(d) The trap is uncommonly huge.
12. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
(a) The faces one misses in the mess hall
(b) Announcements made over the PA system daily
(c) The Medivac helicopters flying back and forth in the dripping sky
(d) The number of body bags brought in each week
13. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) Twleve lost souls
(b) A dozen letters he has to write
(c) Twelve grieving families in America
(d) A dozen more prayers
14. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
(b) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
(c) Juggle them like a circus act.
(d) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
15. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
(a) His days at Quantico
(b) The taking of Phan Moon Jan
(c) The landing at Guadalcanal
(d) D-Day in Europe
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
2. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
3. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
4. How does Caputo classify Gen. Westmoreland?
5. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)