|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
(a) He sees it as a total blackout, remembering nothing.
(b) It flickers on his mental screen like movies.
(c) He sees it as two months that seem like two years.
(d) He sees it in escruciating detail.
2. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
(a) The faces one misses in the mess hall
(b) The Medivac helicopters flying back and forth in the dripping sky
(c) The number of body bags brought in each week
(d) Announcements made over the PA system daily
3. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
(a) Any Marine who kills a certified VC will get beer and time to drink it.
(b) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a week's R and R.
(c) Any Marine who kills a VC will be flown back to base camp.
(d) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a promotion.
4. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
(a) They will make nice wall decorations at home.
(b) The gold one they pin on you and the wooden one they put over you.
(c) Who needs medals; give him a discharge.
(d) They are not real. It is all a big publicity stunt.
5. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
(b) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
(c) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
(d) Juggle them like a circus act.
6. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Victor charlie
(b) Operation Blue Angel
(c) Operation Harvest Moon
(d) Operation Hardest Mein
7. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
(a) A column of white flame
(b) Incredible heat
(c) The smell of rotten eggs
(d) Like the lights on a football field at night
8. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
(a) They are tired from carrying wounded Marines until the medevac can come.
(b) They are tired because their boots and uniforms are soaked and heavy.
(c) They are tired from over two hundred patrols in a month and the nights on the line.
(d) They are tired from playing cards all night long.
9. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
(a) Brush the dirt off
(b) Hose them down
(c) Throw loose dust on them
(d) Strip off their uniforms
10. What are the Marines doing in the truck beds?
(a) Firing at will
(b) Holding up their rifles and yelling
(c) Staying down under cover
(d) Singing the Marine Hymn
11. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
(a) They are scared and unwilling.
(b) They are young and gung-ho about winning the war.
(c) They are seasoned old timers.
(d) They are opposed to war.
12. Who issues ID cards to the Vietnamese?
(a) The US Embassy in Saigon
(b) The provencial governments in the country
(c) The head man of each Vietnamese village
(d) Official ones by the Vietnamese government and forged ones by the VC.
13. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
(a) He comes under heavy fire and dust is kicked up in his face.
(b) He crawls up on a VC corpse.
(c) He falls into a trap and has to wait for rescue.
(d) He gets hit in the arm but keeps going.
14. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
(a) Right behind the colonel's office tent.
(b) At the place his platoon had guarded when they first came to Danang airfield.
(c) On the back side near the planes.
(d) Near the mess hall which was vacant at night.
15. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) Twelve grieving families in America
(b) A dozen letters he has to write
(c) A dozen more prayers
(d) Twleve lost souls
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caputo lose radio contact with one of his operators?
2. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
3. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
4. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
5. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)