|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there a great deal of physical work to be done as the monsoon season begins?
(a) The Regimental HQ is moved near the Dai-La pass.
(b) Flood drain ditches have to be dug.
(c) The airfield is flooded and has to be elevated.
(d) New tents and buildings have to be erected.
2. How does Caputo classify Gen. Westmoreland?
(a) As a fighting man
(b) As a public relations man
(c) As a figure head
(d) As a businessman
3. What evidence do they find to show it is a VC attack?
(a) They find a warning letter pinned to a palm tree.
(b) They bring in two bodies in the morning wearing Vietnamese regulation uniforms.
(c) They discover prints in the mud made by men without shoes.
(d) They find the spent cartridges from the snipers' rifles.
4. What does GSW stand for?
(a) Good strong workers
(b) Gunshot wound
(c) Gold standard weapons
(d) Gone south for the winter
5. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
(a) He sees it as a total blackout, remembering nothing.
(b) It flickers on his mental screen like movies.
(c) He sees it as two months that seem like two years.
(d) He sees it in escruciating detail.
6. What comes by belatedly as Caputo watches?
(a) A battalion of riot police
(b) A convoy of generals
(c) A line of foot soldiers carrying bazookas
(d) A convoy of Marines pulling howitzers
7. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
(a) They just want to double check.
(b) The trap is uncommonly huge.
(c) The first grenades are duds.
(d) The first two are in the wrong place.
8. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
(a) An old farmer
(b) A water buffalo
(c) Some boys catching frogs
(d) Three Vietnamese girls planting rice
9. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
(a) They are not real. It is all a big publicity stunt.
(b) The gold one they pin on you and the wooden one they put over you.
(c) They will make nice wall decorations at home.
(d) Who needs medals; give him a discharge.
10. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(b) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(c) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
(d) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
11. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
(a) Incredible heat
(b) The smell of rotten eggs
(c) Like the lights on a football field at night
(d) A column of white flame
12. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
(a) Two hours in the mornings
(b) Three or four hours
(c) Six to eight hours per day
(d) At least ten hours a day
13. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing only his shirt
(b) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
(c) Wearing a sheet
(d) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
14. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
(b) Juggle them like a circus act.
(c) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
(d) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
15. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
(a) Tap, tap, tap
(b) Bam, bam, bam
(c) Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh
(d) Snap, crackle, pop
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
2. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
3. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
4. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
5. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)