|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(b) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
(c) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(d) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
2. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(b) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(c) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(d) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
3. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(a) Various shades of black
(c) Like a scary movie set
(d) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
4. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
(a) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a promotion.
(b) Any Marine who kills a certified VC will get beer and time to drink it.
(c) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a week's R and R.
(d) Any Marine who kills a VC will be flown back to base camp.
5. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
(a) Right behind the colonel's office tent.
(b) Near the mess hall which was vacant at night.
(c) On the back side near the planes.
(d) At the place his platoon had guarded when they first came to Danang airfield.
6. What comes by belatedly as Caputo watches?
(a) A convoy of generals
(b) A battalion of riot police
(c) A convoy of Marines pulling howitzers
(d) A line of foot soldiers carrying bazookas
7. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) They hav better munitions.
(b) The element of surprise is on their side.
(c) They outnumber them.
(d) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
8. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
(a) They are opposed to war.
(b) They are seasoned old timers.
(c) They are young and gung-ho about winning the war.
(d) They are scared and unwilling.
9. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
(a) Rice with nouac-mam sauce
(b) Six hamburgers and a pitcher of beer
(c) Chateaubriand and a bottle of red wine
(d) Spaghetti and a bottle of Chianti
10. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
(b) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
(c) Wearing only his shirt
(d) Wearing a sheet
11. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
(a) He is more dedicated than ever.
(b) He has the same attitude he had when he arrived.
(c) They have deteriorated to almost nothing.
(d) He almost never thinks about it.
12. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
(a) It comes through serious diseases.
(b) It is inflicted by the enemy and by themselves.
(c) It happens with a large number of desertions.
(d) It comes from recall of Marines to other war fronts.
13. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
(a) D-Day in Europe
(b) His days at Quantico
(c) The taking of Phan Moon Jan
(d) The landing at Guadalcanal
14. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
(b) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
(c) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
(d) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
15. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
(a) To make sure they are actually dead.
(b) Company commanders tend to exaggerate body counts.
(c) To make sure none of them are Americans.
(d) There is no time to count them in the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
2. What does GSW stand for?
3. What exhilarates Caputo after the Hoi-Vuc village wipe out?
4. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
5. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)