|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing only his shirt
(b) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
(c) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
(d) Wearing a sheet
2. What is it that Captain Neal wants from the platoon?
(a) VC bodies
(b) A share of their cheese
(c) Better marksmanship
3. What is Caputo's reply to an officer who says the PFCs are shooting at shadows again?
(a) He says that shadows do not carry rifles that sound like an AK-47.
(b) He says, "you're probably right but what can we do about it?"
(c) He says, "It's okay because it will scare the VC."
(d) He says,"Let them do it, it releases tension."
4. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
(a) He is risking his men when he lets them turn savage like that.
(b) He will be relieved of command if anything like this happens again.
(c) He may be facing a serious reprimand if it happens again.
(d) He will have to stay on the front line if he cannot control his platoon.
5. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
(a) VC begins a series of night sniper attacks on the base.
(b) The monsoon rains stop at night.
(c) The Chaplain begins holding midnight masses.
(d) Marines are shown movies in the mess tent.
6. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
(a) A water buffalo
(b) Some boys catching frogs
(c) Three Vietnamese girls planting rice
(d) An old farmer
7. What is going on inside the operations tent the night of the assault?
(a) There is confusion and the colonel is staring at the map.
(b) The lights are put out so that the VC cannot see it as a target.
(c) Platoon leaders are being briefed on what to do.
(d) Everything is in order and quiet.
8. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
(a) It is inflicted by the enemy and by themselves.
(b) It happens with a large number of desertions.
(c) It comes through serious diseases.
(d) It comes from recall of Marines to other war fronts.
9. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
(a) It is busy transplanting people to another area of the country.
(b) It is dead with no one working in the paddies.
(c) It is life as usual, working in the rice paddies.
(d) It is filled with apprehension about the VC.
10. Why does Caputo lose radio contact with one of his operators?
(a) A tree falls on the radio operator.
(b) The old outdated equipment breaks down.
(c) A grenade cuts the land wire.
(d) The radio operator is shot.
11. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) A dozen letters he has to write
(b) Twelve grieving families in America
(c) A dozen more prayers
(d) Twleve lost souls
12. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
(a) The Medivac helicopters flying back and forth in the dripping sky
(b) The faces one misses in the mess hall
(c) Announcements made over the PA system daily
(d) The number of body bags brought in each week
13. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
(a) Watch out for those booby traps.
(b) Watch out for crocodiles.
(c) Watch out for quicksand.
(d) Watch out for sink holes.
14. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
(a) D-Day in Europe
(b) His days at Quantico
(c) The taking of Phan Moon Jan
(d) The landing at Guadalcanal
15. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
(a) At the place his platoon had guarded when they first came to Danang airfield.
(b) On the back side near the planes.
(c) Near the mess hall which was vacant at night.
(d) Right behind the colonel's office tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
2. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
3. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
4. Who issues ID cards to the Vietnamese?
5. What does GSW stand for?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)