|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are WIAs and KIAs?
(a) War Insurgent Actions and Korean Involvement Accounting
(b) Korean made cars used in Vietnam
(c) Wounded in Action and Killed in Action
(d) Types of weapons used at short range
2. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
(a) He orders the men to drop and do pushups for him.
(b) He shouts at them for having dirty uniforms.
(c) He punches out a PFC for talking back to him.
(d) He pulls a rifle inspection on the line and reams out the whole platoon.
3. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
(a) Bam, bam, bam
(b) Tap, tap, tap
(c) Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh
(d) Snap, crackle, pop
4. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
(a) To make sure none of them are Americans.
(b) Company commanders tend to exaggerate body counts.
(c) There is no time to count them in the field.
(d) To make sure they are actually dead.
5. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
(a) He has the same attitude he had when he arrived.
(b) He almost never thinks about it.
(c) He is more dedicated than ever.
(d) They have deteriorated to almost nothing.
6. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
(a) The mortars are frozen up.
(b) They are out of range.
(c) They cannot fire off of a slope.
(d) The men with mortars were all KIA.
7. What does GSW stand for?
(a) Gold standard weapons
(b) Good strong workers
(c) Gone south for the winter
(d) Gunshot wound
8. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
(b) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(c) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(d) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
9. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
(a) Attack helicopters
(b) Long range artillery fire from Navy ships
(c) Navy bombers that drop napalm bombs on the area
(d) Large birds indigenous to Vietnam
10. Who issues ID cards to the Vietnamese?
(a) Official ones by the Vietnamese government and forged ones by the VC.
(b) The head man of each Vietnamese village
(c) The provencial governments in the country
(d) The US Embassy in Saigon
11. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
(a) Watch out for those booby traps.
(b) Watch out for crocodiles.
(c) Watch out for quicksand.
(d) Watch out for sink holes.
12. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
(a) Like the lights on a football field at night
(b) The smell of rotten eggs
(c) A column of white flame
(d) Incredible heat
13. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
(a) An old farmer
(b) Some boys catching frogs
(c) Three Vietnamese girls planting rice
(d) A water buffalo
14. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
(a) They step into a quicksand bog.
(b) A homemade Claymore is tripped and there are nine casualties.
(c) They get bogged down in the mud and have to fire from there.
(d) They take a wrong turn and get lost in some elephant grass.
15. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) The element of surprise is on their side.
(b) They outnumber them.
(c) They hav better munitions.
(d) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
2. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
3. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
4. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
5. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)