|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
(a) Three or four hours
(b) At least ten hours a day
(c) Two hours in the mornings
(d) Six to eight hours per day
2. After Caputo's dream, what vision does he have in the daylight?
(a) He sees everything in slow motions.
(b) He sees ghosts of great military heroes.
(c) He sees the faces of Mora and Hamilton superimposed on dead bodies.
(d) He sees his photo in a newspaper obituary column.
3. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
(a) Speeding up the defense preparations
(b) Regulating the drinking hours
(c) Getting a new command
(d) Building a horseshoe pit
4. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
(a) He is risking his men when he lets them turn savage like that.
(b) He may be facing a serious reprimand if it happens again.
(c) He will have to stay on the front line if he cannot control his platoon.
(d) He will be relieved of command if anything like this happens again.
5. Who issues ID cards to the Vietnamese?
(a) The provencial governments in the country
(b) Official ones by the Vietnamese government and forged ones by the VC.
(c) The head man of each Vietnamese village
(d) The US Embassy in Saigon
6. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
(a) To make sure none of them are Americans.
(b) To make sure they are actually dead.
(c) Company commanders tend to exaggerate body counts.
(d) There is no time to count them in the field.
7. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
(b) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(c) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(d) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
8. Who has noticed the relaxed camp arrangements and tries to correct them?
(a) Phil Caputo
(b) Captain Johnson
(c) Colonel Anderson
(d) Maj-Gen Lew Walt
9. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
(a) They have to move farther back.
(b) Battalion HQ is attacked by a frightened water buffalo.
(c) Eight officers and a number of enlisted men are killed.
(d) The officers all leave on a helicopter.
10. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
(a) Throw loose dust on them
(b) Hose them down
(c) Brush the dirt off
(d) Strip off their uniforms
11. How does the paperwork in the adjutant's office appear to Caputo?
(a) It seems to be a truckload.
(b) It seems to be written in a foreign language.
(c) It seems to need a new filing system.
(d) It seems to be a simple task.
12. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
(a) They are tired because their boots and uniforms are soaked and heavy.
(b) They are tired from playing cards all night long.
(c) They are tired from carrying wounded Marines until the medevac can come.
(d) They are tired from over two hundred patrols in a month and the nights on the line.
13. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
(a) Navy bombers that drop napalm bombs on the area
(b) Attack helicopters
(c) Long range artillery fire from Navy ships
(d) Large birds indigenous to Vietnam
14. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) They outnumber them.
(b) They hav better munitions.
(c) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
(d) The element of surprise is on their side.
15. What happens to an old Vietnamese woman chewing a beetle?
(a) McKenna shoots her when she spits beetle juice in his face.
(b) She dies of fright when she sees the soldiers.
(c) She is tied to a water buffalo and sent into the paddies.
(d) She is arrested and taken to HQ.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
2. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
3. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
4. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
5. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)