|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
(a) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a week's R and R.
(b) Any Marine who kills a VC will be flown back to base camp.
(c) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a promotion.
(d) Any Marine who kills a certified VC will get beer and time to drink it.
2. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Blue Angel
(b) Operation Hardest Mein
(c) Operation Victor charlie
(d) Operation Harvest Moon
3. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
(a) They are tired from carrying wounded Marines until the medevac can come.
(b) They are tired from over two hundred patrols in a month and the nights on the line.
(c) They are tired from playing cards all night long.
(d) They are tired because their boots and uniforms are soaked and heavy.
4. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
(a) They are scared and unwilling.
(b) They are opposed to war.
(c) They are seasoned old timers.
(d) They are young and gung-ho about winning the war.
5. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
(b) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
(c) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
(d) Juggle them like a circus act.
6. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(a) Various shades of black
(c) Like a scary movie set
(d) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
7. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) Twleve lost souls
(b) A dozen more prayers
(c) A dozen letters he has to write
(d) Twelve grieving families in America
8. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
(a) They have to move farther back.
(b) Battalion HQ is attacked by a frightened water buffalo.
(c) The officers all leave on a helicopter.
(d) Eight officers and a number of enlisted men are killed.
9. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
(a) No one has the exact coordinates.
(b) New artillery ammunitions has not arrived.
(c) The higher commanders do not believe the report.
(d) A Marine patrol is lost out in the same area.
10. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
(a) The gold one they pin on you and the wooden one they put over you.
(b) Who needs medals; give him a discharge.
(c) They will make nice wall decorations at home.
(d) They are not real. It is all a big publicity stunt.
11. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
(a) He has the same attitude he had when he arrived.
(b) They have deteriorated to almost nothing.
(c) He is more dedicated than ever.
(d) He almost never thinks about it.
12. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(b) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(c) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
(d) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
13. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
(a) Three Vietnamese girls planting rice
(b) Some boys catching frogs
(c) A water buffalo
(d) An old farmer
14. What is the effect of burning magnesium?
(a) A column of white flame
(b) Like the lights on a football field at night
(c) Incredible heat
(d) The smell of rotten eggs
15. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
(a) He crawls up on a VC corpse.
(b) He comes under heavy fire and dust is kicked up in his face.
(c) He gets hit in the arm but keeps going.
(d) He falls into a trap and has to wait for rescue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
2. How does Caputo classify Gen. Westmoreland?
3. What are the Marines doing in the truck beds?
4. What is going on inside the operations tent the night of the assault?
5. What are SLJOs?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)