|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
(a) He crawls up on a VC corpse.
(b) He comes under heavy fire and dust is kicked up in his face.
(c) He falls into a trap and has to wait for rescue.
(d) He gets hit in the arm but keeps going.
2. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
(b) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
(c) Wearing only his shirt
(d) Wearing a sheet
3. What are WIAs and KIAs?
(a) War Insurgent Actions and Korean Involvement Accounting
(b) Wounded in Action and Killed in Action
(c) Korean made cars used in Vietnam
(d) Types of weapons used at short range
4. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
(a) Marines are shown movies in the mess tent.
(b) The Chaplain begins holding midnight masses.
(c) The monsoon rains stop at night.
(d) VC begins a series of night sniper attacks on the base.
5. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
(a) It is dead with no one working in the paddies.
(b) It is filled with apprehension about the VC.
(c) It is life as usual, working in the rice paddies.
(d) It is busy transplanting people to another area of the country.
6. How much of the base does Caputo say has escaped the damage?
(a) Most of it
(b) Only a little
(c) Only the perimeters
(d) About half
7. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) They outnumber them.
(b) The element of surprise is on their side.
(c) They hav better munitions.
(d) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
8. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
(a) They have to move farther back.
(b) The officers all leave on a helicopter.
(c) Eight officers and a number of enlisted men are killed.
(d) Battalion HQ is attacked by a frightened water buffalo.
9. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(a) Like a scary movie set
(c) Various shades of black
(d) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
10. What are SLJOs?
(a) Silly little jar openers
(b) Shitty little jobs officers
(c) Stupid lieutenant job officers
(d) Sanitary latrine jar orders
11. What is the meaning of Sympathetic Detonation?
(a) Explosives that fail to detonate.
(b) Silent explosions.
(c) Military speak for an explosion caused by a US military error.
(d) Mine fields that harm only the enemy.
12. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
(a) A homemade Claymore is tripped and there are nine casualties.
(b) They step into a quicksand bog.
(c) They get bogged down in the mud and have to fire from there.
(d) They take a wrong turn and get lost in some elephant grass.
13. What job takes up most of Caputo's time as assistant adjutant?
(a) Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer
(b) Regimental Secret and Confidential documents Officer
(c) Regimental Mess Officer
(d) Regimental Legal Officer
14. Who was the first KIA in 1st Battalion?
(a) The Battilion commander
(b) Corpsman Levy, a man Caputo knew.
(d) Peterson, who had been transferred.
15. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
(a) The first grenades are duds.
(b) They just want to double check.
(c) The first two are in the wrong place.
(d) The trap is uncommonly huge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
2. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
3. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
4. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
5. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)