|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who issues ID cards to the Vietnamese?
(a) The head man of each Vietnamese village
(b) The provencial governments in the country
(c) The US Embassy in Saigon
(d) Official ones by the Vietnamese government and forged ones by the VC.
2. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
(a) Long range artillery fire from Navy ships
(b) Large birds indigenous to Vietnam
(c) Navy bombers that drop napalm bombs on the area
(d) Attack helicopters
3. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
(a) Six hamburgers and a pitcher of beer
(b) Spaghetti and a bottle of Chianti
(c) Rice with nouac-mam sauce
(d) Chateaubriand and a bottle of red wine
4. What exhilarates Caputo after the Hoi-Vuc village wipe out?
(a) The close combat with the remaining VC
(b) The congratulations from his men
(c) The perfect way his platoon has performed.
(d) The prospect of a medal
5. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
(a) Strip off their uniforms
(b) Brush the dirt off
(c) Hose them down
(d) Throw loose dust on them
6. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
(a) He has the same attitude he had when he arrived.
(b) He is more dedicated than ever.
(c) They have deteriorated to almost nothing.
(d) He almost never thinks about it.
7. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) A dozen more prayers
(b) Twleve lost souls
(c) A dozen letters he has to write
(d) Twelve grieving families in America
8. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) They outnumber them.
(b) They hav better munitions.
(c) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
(d) The element of surprise is on their side.
9. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
(a) He shouts at them for having dirty uniforms.
(b) He orders the men to drop and do pushups for him.
(c) He punches out a PFC for talking back to him.
(d) He pulls a rifle inspection on the line and reams out the whole platoon.
10. How does Caputo classify Gen. Westmoreland?
(a) As a public relations man
(b) As a figure head
(c) As a businessman
(d) As a fighting man
11. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
(a) The mortars are frozen up.
(b) They cannot fire off of a slope.
(c) They are out of range.
(d) The men with mortars were all KIA.
12. What is the joke Sgt. Hamilton says outside the adjutant's tent?
(a) Charlie finally learned how to find the fuse.
(b) Someone should tell Charlie it is three days until the Fourth of July.
(c) I think it's time to get out of the kitchen.
(d) How do I get out of this chicken shit organization?
13. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
(a) D-Day in Europe
(b) The taking of Phan Moon Jan
(c) His days at Quantico
(d) The landing at Guadalcanal
14. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
(a) Battalion HQ is attacked by a frightened water buffalo.
(b) The officers all leave on a helicopter.
(c) They have to move farther back.
(d) Eight officers and a number of enlisted men are killed.
15. What are WIAs and KIAs?
(a) Types of weapons used at short range
(b) Korean made cars used in Vietnam
(c) War Insurgent Actions and Korean Involvement Accounting
(d) Wounded in Action and Killed in Action
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
2. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
3. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
4. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
5. Lieutenant Reason goes out leading a platoon. How does he return?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)