|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who issues ID cards to the Vietnamese?
(a) The US Embassy in Saigon
(b) The head man of each Vietnamese village
(c) Official ones by the Vietnamese government and forged ones by the VC.
(d) The provencial governments in the country
2. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
(a) They have deteriorated to almost nothing.
(b) He almost never thinks about it.
(c) He has the same attitude he had when he arrived.
(d) He is more dedicated than ever.
3. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
(a) To remind everyone why they are here.
(b) To give the Colonel a photo opportunity.
(c) To flush out a VC infiltrator by scaring him.
(d) To show the clerks what war looks like.
4. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
(a) Building a horseshoe pit
(b) Regulating the drinking hours
(c) Getting a new command
(d) Speeding up the defense preparations
5. Why does Caputo lose radio contact with one of his operators?
(a) A grenade cuts the land wire.
(b) A tree falls on the radio operator.
(c) The old outdated equipment breaks down.
(d) The radio operator is shot.
6. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
(a) It flickers on his mental screen like movies.
(b) He sees it as two months that seem like two years.
(c) He sees it as a total blackout, remembering nothing.
(d) He sees it in escruciating detail.
7. How does Caputo classify Gen. Westmoreland?
(a) As a fighting man
(b) As a figure head
(c) As a public relations man
(d) As a businessman
8. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
(a) Two hours in the mornings
(b) Six to eight hours per day
(c) Three or four hours
(d) At least ten hours a day
9. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
(a) They are tired because their boots and uniforms are soaked and heavy.
(b) They are tired from carrying wounded Marines until the medevac can come.
(c) They are tired from over two hundred patrols in a month and the nights on the line.
(d) They are tired from playing cards all night long.
10. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
(a) Near the mess hall which was vacant at night.
(b) At the place his platoon had guarded when they first came to Danang airfield.
(c) Right behind the colonel's office tent.
(d) On the back side near the planes.
11. What does GSW stand for?
(a) Gone south for the winter
(b) Gunshot wound
(c) Gold standard weapons
(d) Good strong workers
12. What are SLJOs?
(a) Shitty little jobs officers
(b) Sanitary latrine jar orders
(c) Silly little jar openers
(d) Stupid lieutenant job officers
13. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
(a) Strip off their uniforms
(b) Hose them down
(c) Throw loose dust on them
(d) Brush the dirt off
14. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
(a) Operation Skyhawk
(b) Operation Long Lance
(c) Operation Ha Na
(d) Operation Mountain Storm
15. What is the joke Sgt. Hamilton says outside the adjutant's tent?
(a) Someone should tell Charlie it is three days until the Fourth of July.
(b) How do I get out of this chicken shit organization?
(c) I think it's time to get out of the kitchen.
(d) Charlie finally learned how to find the fuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are WIAs and KIAs?
2. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
3. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
4. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
5. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)