|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are WIAs and KIAs?
(a) War Insurgent Actions and Korean Involvement Accounting
(b) Types of weapons used at short range
(c) Korean made cars used in Vietnam
(d) Wounded in Action and Killed in Action
2. What happens to an old Vietnamese woman chewing a beetle?
(a) McKenna shoots her when she spits beetle juice in his face.
(b) She is arrested and taken to HQ.
(c) She dies of fright when she sees the soldiers.
(d) She is tied to a water buffalo and sent into the paddies.
3. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
(a) He orders the men to drop and do pushups for him.
(b) He shouts at them for having dirty uniforms.
(c) He pulls a rifle inspection on the line and reams out the whole platoon.
(d) He punches out a PFC for talking back to him.
4. What do they do so that the VC corpses will not look recently uninterred?
(a) Brush the dirt off
(b) Hose them down
(c) Strip off their uniforms
(d) Throw loose dust on them
5. What job takes up most of Caputo's time as assistant adjutant?
(a) Regimental Legal Officer
(b) Regimental Secret and Confidential documents Officer
(c) Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer
(d) Regimental Mess Officer
6. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
(a) He is risking his men when he lets them turn savage like that.
(b) He will have to stay on the front line if he cannot control his platoon.
(c) He may be facing a serious reprimand if it happens again.
(d) He will be relieved of command if anything like this happens again.
7. What comes by belatedly as Caputo watches?
(a) A line of foot soldiers carrying bazookas
(b) A convoy of Marines pulling howitzers
(c) A battalion of riot police
(d) A convoy of generals
8. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
(a) They are opposed to war.
(b) They are young and gung-ho about winning the war.
(c) They are scared and unwilling.
(d) They are seasoned old timers.
9. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
(a) The faces one misses in the mess hall
(b) The Medivac helicopters flying back and forth in the dripping sky
(c) The number of body bags brought in each week
(d) Announcements made over the PA system daily
10. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(b) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(c) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
(d) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
11. What is going on inside the operations tent the night of the assault?
(a) Everything is in order and quiet.
(b) Platoon leaders are being briefed on what to do.
(c) The lights are put out so that the VC cannot see it as a target.
(d) There is confusion and the colonel is staring at the map.
12. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
(a) It happens with a large number of desertions.
(b) It comes from recall of Marines to other war fronts.
(c) It is inflicted by the enemy and by themselves.
(d) It comes through serious diseases.
13. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Hardest Mein
(b) Operation Blue Angel
(c) Operation Harvest Moon
(d) Operation Victor charlie
14. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
(a) Near the mess hall which was vacant at night.
(b) At the place his platoon had guarded when they first came to Danang airfield.
(c) On the back side near the planes.
(d) Right behind the colonel's office tent.
15. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
(b) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
(c) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
(d) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo describe the sounds of VC rifle fire?
2. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
3. What are the Marines doing in the truck beds?
4. Why does Caputo lose radio contact with one of his operators?
5. What evidence do they find to show it is a VC attack?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)