|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
(b) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
(c) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
(d) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
2. What causes the men to name one officer Captain Bligh?
(a) He shouts at them for having dirty uniforms.
(b) He punches out a PFC for talking back to him.
(c) He pulls a rifle inspection on the line and reams out the whole platoon.
(d) He orders the men to drop and do pushups for him.
3. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) A dozen letters he has to write
(b) Twelve grieving families in America
(c) A dozen more prayers
(d) Twleve lost souls
4. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
(a) Getting a new command
(b) Building a horseshoe pit
(c) Regulating the drinking hours
(d) Speeding up the defense preparations
5. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
(b) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
(c) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
(d) Juggle them like a circus act.
6. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
(a) New artillery ammunitions has not arrived.
(b) No one has the exact coordinates.
(c) The higher commanders do not believe the report.
(d) A Marine patrol is lost out in the same area.
7. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
(b) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(c) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(d) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
8. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
(a) Spaghetti and a bottle of Chianti
(b) Six hamburgers and a pitcher of beer
(c) Chateaubriand and a bottle of red wine
(d) Rice with nouac-mam sauce
9. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
(a) The men with mortars were all KIA.
(b) They are out of range.
(c) The mortars are frozen up.
(d) They cannot fire off of a slope.
10. What happens to an old Vietnamese woman chewing a beetle?
(a) She is tied to a water buffalo and sent into the paddies.
(b) McKenna shoots her when she spits beetle juice in his face.
(c) She is arrested and taken to HQ.
(d) She dies of fright when she sees the soldiers.
11. What does a cynic say about the Navy Crosses Corporal Gautier has won?
(a) They will make nice wall decorations at home.
(b) They are not real. It is all a big publicity stunt.
(c) The gold one they pin on you and the wooden one they put over you.
(d) Who needs medals; give him a discharge.
12. Who has noticed the relaxed camp arrangements and tries to correct them?
(a) Maj-Gen Lew Walt
(b) Colonel Anderson
(c) Phil Caputo
(d) Captain Johnson
13. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
(a) There is no time to count them in the field.
(b) To make sure none of them are Americans.
(c) Company commanders tend to exaggerate body counts.
(d) To make sure they are actually dead.
14. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
(a) Battalion HQ is attacked by a frightened water buffalo.
(b) The officers all leave on a helicopter.
(c) Eight officers and a number of enlisted men are killed.
(d) They have to move farther back.
15. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
(a) Long range artillery fire from Navy ships
(b) Attack helicopters
(c) Large birds indigenous to Vietnam
(d) Navy bombers that drop napalm bombs on the area
Short Answer Questions
1. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
2. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
3. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
4. What are WIAs and KIAs?
5. Who was the first KIA in 1st Battalion?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)