|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing only his shirt
(b) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
(c) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
(d) Wearing a sheet
2. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
(a) Chateaubriand and a bottle of red wine
(b) Spaghetti and a bottle of Chianti
(c) Rice with nouac-mam sauce
(d) Six hamburgers and a pitcher of beer
3. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
(a) A water buffalo
(b) Some boys catching frogs
(c) An old farmer
(d) Three Vietnamese girls planting rice
4. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
(a) To flush out a VC infiltrator by scaring him.
(b) To remind everyone why they are here.
(c) To give the Colonel a photo opportunity.
(d) To show the clerks what war looks like.
5. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Victor charlie
(b) Operation Hardest Mein
(c) Operation Blue Angel
(d) Operation Harvest Moon
6. After Caputo's dream, what vision does he have in the daylight?
(a) He sees ghosts of great military heroes.
(b) He sees the faces of Mora and Hamilton superimposed on dead bodies.
(c) He sees everything in slow motions.
(d) He sees his photo in a newspaper obituary column.
7. What are the three Skyhawks that arrive?
(a) Navy bombers that drop napalm bombs on the area
(b) Attack helicopters
(c) Large birds indigenous to Vietnam
(d) Long range artillery fire from Navy ships
8. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
(a) It is life as usual, working in the rice paddies.
(b) It is filled with apprehension about the VC.
(c) It is busy transplanting people to another area of the country.
(d) It is dead with no one working in the paddies.
9. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
(a) Two hours in the mornings
(b) At least ten hours a day
(c) Six to eight hours per day
(d) Three or four hours
10. What promise does Captain Neal make regardless of the ethic involved?
(a) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a promotion.
(b) Any Marine who kills a VC will be given a week's R and R.
(c) Any Marine who kills a VC will be flown back to base camp.
(d) Any Marine who kills a certified VC will get beer and time to drink it.
11. What job takes up most of Caputo's time as assistant adjutant?
(a) Regimental Legal Officer
(b) Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer
(c) Regimental Secret and Confidential documents Officer
(d) Regimental Mess Officer
12. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Juggle them like a circus act.
(b) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
(c) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
(d) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
13. What is the meaning of Sympathetic Detonation?
(a) Military speak for an explosion caused by a US military error.
(b) Explosives that fail to detonate.
(c) Mine fields that harm only the enemy.
(d) Silent explosions.
14. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
(a) It comes from recall of Marines to other war fronts.
(b) It happens with a large number of desertions.
(c) It comes through serious diseases.
(d) It is inflicted by the enemy and by themselves.
15. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
(a) D-Day in Europe
(b) His days at Quantico
(c) The taking of Phan Moon Jan
(d) The landing at Guadalcanal
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
2. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
3. What is the joke Sgt. Hamilton says outside the adjutant's tent?
4. What are WIAs and KIAs?
5. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)