|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to an old Vietnamese woman chewing a beetle?
(a) McKenna shoots her when she spits beetle juice in his face.
(b) She dies of fright when she sees the soldiers.
(c) She is arrested and taken to HQ.
(d) She is tied to a water buffalo and sent into the paddies.
2. What happens to the Battalion Headquarters during Operation Long Lance?
(a) The officers all leave on a helicopter.
(b) Battalion HQ is attacked by a frightened water buffalo.
(c) Eight officers and a number of enlisted men are killed.
(d) They have to move farther back.
3. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(b) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
(c) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
(d) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
4. After Caputo's dream, what vision does he have in the daylight?
(a) He sees ghosts of great military heroes.
(b) He sees his photo in a newspaper obituary column.
(c) He sees everything in slow motions.
(d) He sees the faces of Mora and Hamilton superimposed on dead bodies.
5. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
(a) Three Vietnamese girls planting rice
(b) Some boys catching frogs
(c) An old farmer
(d) A water buffalo
6. What begins happening at night at the Danang base?
(a) The Chaplain begins holding midnight masses.
(b) The monsoon rains stop at night.
(c) Marines are shown movies in the mess tent.
(d) VC begins a series of night sniper attacks on the base.
7. What is it that Captain Neal wants from the platoon?
(b) Better marksmanship
(c) VC bodies
(d) A share of their cheese
8. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
(a) No one has the exact coordinates.
(b) The higher commanders do not believe the report.
(c) A Marine patrol is lost out in the same area.
(d) New artillery ammunitions has not arrived.
9. What is the only advantage the platoon has over the VC at Hoi-Vuc?
(a) The sun is in the VC's eyes.
(b) They outnumber them.
(c) They hav better munitions.
(d) The element of surprise is on their side.
10. What exhilarates Caputo after the Hoi-Vuc village wipe out?
(a) The congratulations from his men
(b) The close combat with the remaining VC
(c) The prospect of a medal
(d) The perfect way his platoon has performed.
11. From the ridge where they are located, why can the platoon not fire mortars at the VC?
(a) They cannot fire off of a slope.
(b) The mortars are frozen up.
(c) The men with mortars were all KIA.
(d) They are out of range.
12. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
(a) He will have to stay on the front line if he cannot control his platoon.
(b) He is risking his men when he lets them turn savage like that.
(c) He will be relieved of command if anything like this happens again.
(d) He may be facing a serious reprimand if it happens again.
13. What do Caputo and Crowe do with grenades on the way to Hill 92?
(a) Throw them at a fleeing VC.
(b) Juggle them like a circus act.
(c) Use them for apaerweights to hold down a map.
(d) Place them carefully to blow up a booby trap.
14. What job takes up most of Caputo's time as assistant adjutant?
(a) Regimental Secret and Confidential documents Officer
(b) Regimental Mess Officer
(c) Regimental Casualty Reporting Officer
(d) Regimental Legal Officer
15. Why is there a great deal of physical work to be done as the monsoon season begins?
(a) Flood drain ditches have to be dug.
(b) New tents and buildings have to be erected.
(c) The airfield is flooded and has to be elevated.
(d) The Regimental HQ is moved near the Dai-La pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes by belatedly as Caputo watches?
2. By the time Caputo transfers back to a line company in 1st Battalion, what are his convictions about the war?
3. What are the new Marines of 1st Battalion like when they first arrive?
4. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
5. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)