|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does GSW stand for?
(a) Gold standard weapons
(b) Gone south for the winter
(c) Gunshot wound
(d) Good strong workers
2. Why does Caputo lose radio contact with one of his operators?
(a) The radio operator is shot.
(b) A tree falls on the radio operator.
(c) The old outdated equipment breaks down.
(d) A grenade cuts the land wire.
3. What happens to Caputo as he is crawling on his stomach to get back to his men?
(a) He crawls up on a VC corpse.
(b) He falls into a trap and has to wait for rescue.
(c) He comes under heavy fire and dust is kicked up in his face.
(d) He gets hit in the arm but keeps going.
4. After Caputo's dream, what vision does he have in the daylight?
(a) He sees his photo in a newspaper obituary column.
(b) He sees everything in slow motions.
(c) He sees the faces of Mora and Hamilton superimposed on dead bodies.
(d) He sees ghosts of great military heroes.
5. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(b) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
(c) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(d) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
6. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
(a) They are tired from over two hundred patrols in a month and the nights on the line.
(b) They are tired from playing cards all night long.
(c) They are tired from carrying wounded Marines until the medevac can come.
(d) They are tired because their boots and uniforms are soaked and heavy.
7. One night under attack, how does Sergeant Mora show up in a foxhole?
(a) Wearing a kimono he got in Japan
(b) Wearing only his shirt
(c) Wearing a sheet
(d) Wearing nothing but his gun belt
8. What comes by belatedly as Caputo watches?
(a) A convoy of generals
(b) A line of foot soldiers carrying bazookas
(c) A battalion of riot police
(d) A convoy of Marines pulling howitzers
9. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
(a) The higher commanders do not believe the report.
(b) No one has the exact coordinates.
(c) A Marine patrol is lost out in the same area.
(d) New artillery ammunitions has not arrived.
10. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
(a) They take a wrong turn and get lost in some elephant grass.
(b) They get bogged down in the mud and have to fire from there.
(c) They step into a quicksand bog.
(d) A homemade Claymore is tripped and there are nine casualties.
11. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
(a) The big guns fire all night and he cannot sleep.
(b) He has dreams of Sullivan and the dead VC.
(c) The mosquitoes swarm outside his tent.
(d) The base HQ comes under fire.
12. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
(a) It comes from recall of Marines to other war fronts.
(b) It comes through serious diseases.
(c) It is inflicted by the enemy and by themselves.
(d) It happens with a large number of desertions.
13. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
(b) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(c) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
(d) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
14. What warning does Caputo receive after the destruction at Ha Na?
(a) He is risking his men when he lets them turn savage like that.
(b) He may be facing a serious reprimand if it happens again.
(c) He will have to stay on the front line if he cannot control his platoon.
(d) He will be relieved of command if anything like this happens again.
15. Who has noticed the relaxed camp arrangements and tries to correct them?
(a) Colonel Anderson
(b) Captain Johnson
(c) Maj-Gen Lew Walt
(d) Phil Caputo
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caputo classify Gen. Westmoreland?
2. What is Colonel Nickerson's interest during this time?
3. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
4. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
5. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)