|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Caputo have to count VC bodies sent in for burial?
(a) To make sure they are actually dead.
(b) There is no time to count them in the field.
(c) To make sure none of them are Americans.
(d) Company commanders tend to exaggerate body counts.
2. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Hardest Mein
(b) Operation Blue Angel
(c) Operation Harvest Moon
(d) Operation Victor charlie
3. Who is Elmer Fudd at division HQ?
(a) The bald headed Lt. Colonel Executive Officer for Colonel Wheeler.
(b) A pet monkey captured in the jungle.
(c) The cartoon mascot of the division HQ.
(d) The chief cook at the officers' mess.
4. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(a) Like a scary movie set
(b) Various shades of black
(c) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
5. Why is Caputo angry that Crowe and his men do not bring in the suspected VC?
(a) He is angry because he knows he will be blamed.
(b) He is angry because he needs some target practice.
(c) He is angry because he would have gotten credit for the capture.
(d) He is angry because of the high casualties they have suffered.
6. Who never looks up as they cross the muddy paddies?
(a) Some boys catching frogs
(b) A water buffalo
(c) An old farmer
(d) Three Vietnamese girls planting rice
7. How does Caputo recall the two months after the Ha Na experience?
(a) He sees it as a total blackout, remembering nothing.
(b) He sees it as two months that seem like two years.
(c) He sees it in escruciating detail.
(d) It flickers on his mental screen like movies.
8. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
(a) He has dreams of Sullivan and the dead VC.
(b) The base HQ comes under fire.
(c) The mosquitoes swarm outside his tent.
(d) The big guns fire all night and he cannot sleep.
9. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
(a) Watch out for sink holes.
(b) Watch out for those booby traps.
(c) Watch out for crocodiles.
(d) Watch out for quicksand.
10. Why do they have to grenade the VC trap twice?
(a) They just want to double check.
(b) The first two are in the wrong place.
(c) The first grenades are duds.
(d) The trap is uncommonly huge.
11. What does GSW stand for?
(a) Good strong workers
(b) Gunshot wound
(c) Gone south for the winter
(d) Gold standard weapons
12. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) Twleve lost souls
(b) A dozen more prayers
(c) Twelve grieving families in America
(d) A dozen letters he has to write
13. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
(a) Right behind the colonel's office tent.
(b) Near the mess hall which was vacant at night.
(c) At the place his platoon had guarded when they first came to Danang airfield.
(d) On the back side near the planes.
14. In reality, how much time per day does the adjutant work require?
(a) Six to eight hours per day
(b) At least ten hours a day
(c) Two hours in the mornings
(d) Three or four hours
15. After Caputo's dream, what vision does he have in the daylight?
(a) He sees his photo in a newspaper obituary column.
(b) He sees ghosts of great military heroes.
(c) He sees everything in slow motions.
(d) He sees the faces of Mora and Hamilton superimposed on dead bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes by belatedly as Caputo watches?
2. What evidence do they find to show it is a VC attack?
3. What happens to an old Vietnamese woman chewing a beetle?
4. What is Caputo's reply to an officer who says the PFCs are shooting at shadows again?
5. Why are Caputo and the rest of the men so exhausted?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)