|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Caputo and Crowe brought up on charges to face court martial?
(a) Crowe is blamed for killing the old woman under Caputo's orders.
(b) They are charged with using white-phosphorus at close range.
(c) Some Vietnamese are shot standing still and not running.
(d) The boy, Le Dung, is killed and the village files a protest.
2. Who has noticed the relaxed camp arrangements and tries to correct them?
(a) Phil Caputo
(b) Captain Johnson
(c) Colonel Anderson
(d) Maj-Gen Lew Walt
3. What is it that Captain Neal wants from the platoon?
(a) Better marksmanship
(b) VC bodies
(c) A share of their cheese
4. Lieutenant Reason goes out leading a platoon. How does he return?
(a) Riding in a convoy truck
(b) With machine gun bullet holes stitched across his belly
(c) On a helicopter carrying one of his wounded men
(d) Leading a platoon of captured VC
5. Why is there a great deal of physical work to be done as the monsoon season begins?
(a) The airfield is flooded and has to be elevated.
(b) Flood drain ditches have to be dug.
(c) The Regimental HQ is moved near the Dai-La pass.
(d) New tents and buildings have to be erected.
6. For what operation is C Company ordered to prepare?
(a) Operation Victor charlie
(b) Operation Hardest Mein
(c) Operation Blue Angel
(d) Operation Harvest Moon
7. What is the name of the operation C Company is waiting to begin?
(a) Operation Skyhawk
(b) Operation Long Lance
(c) Operation Ha Na
(d) Operation Mountain Storm
8. Where does Caputo notice the VC has cut the chain link fence to infiltrate the airfield?
(a) Near the mess hall which was vacant at night.
(b) At the place his platoon had guarded when they first came to Danang airfield.
(c) On the back side near the planes.
(d) Right behind the colonel's office tent.
9. What happens to a large number of the platoon down in a paddy?
(a) A homemade Claymore is tripped and there are nine casualties.
(b) They get bogged down in the mud and have to fire from there.
(c) They take a wrong turn and get lost in some elephant grass.
(d) They step into a quicksand bog.
10. What does Chaplain Ryerson call twelve KIAs?
(a) A dozen letters he has to write
(b) Twleve lost souls
(c) Twelve grieving families in America
(d) A dozen more prayers
11. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
(a) It is life as usual, working in the rice paddies.
(b) It is dead with no one working in the paddies.
(c) It is filled with apprehension about the VC.
(d) It is busy transplanting people to another area of the country.
12. At night on the line, what does everything look like?
(a) Various shades of black
(c) Like VC soldier marching toward the line
(d) Like a scary movie set
13. Why is an artillery attack denied when a patrol advancing to the base is spotted?
(a) New artillery ammunitions has not arrived.
(b) A Marine patrol is lost out in the same area.
(c) The higher commanders do not believe the report.
(d) No one has the exact coordinates.
14. How does the paperwork in the adjutant's office appear to Caputo?
(a) It seems to be written in a foreign language.
(b) It seems to need a new filing system.
(c) It seems to be a simple task.
(d) It seems to be a truckload.
15. What meal does Caputo order in Saigon that surprises the French speaking waiter?
(a) Chateaubriand and a bottle of red wine
(b) Six hamburgers and a pitcher of beer
(c) Rice with nouac-mam sauce
(d) Spaghetti and a bottle of Chianti
Short Answer Questions
1. What is going on inside the operations tent the night of the assault?
2. What is a consistent reminder of the casualties of war.
3. What is the warning as Caputo and his men head for Charlie Ridge?
4. What is the stated purpose of leaving VC bodies behind the Colonel's tent?
5. What tale does Colonel Nickerson love to recount?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)