|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
(b) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(c) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
(d) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
2. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
(a) That it is a preparedness test for the real thing.
(b) That is because of political infighting.
(c) That some general has a loose screw.
(d) That the war in Vietnam is over before they can get there.
3. What do they experience on their first night?
(a) The night becomes unbearably cold.
(b) Night brings on a monsoon rain.
(c) At night they can see the flashes of bombs detonated.
(d) Night brings sniper fire in the distance and swarms of biting insects.
4. What happens during Caputo's first night as assistant adjutant?
(a) He has dreams of Sullivan and the dead VC.
(b) The big guns fire all night and he cannot sleep.
(c) The mosquitoes swarm outside his tent.
(d) The base HQ comes under fire.
5. What are some of the things Caputo learns in Marine training?
(a) Use of new technology, making homemade weapons, and disarming women combatants.
(b) Physical exercize, recommended reading, and filing of paperwork.
(c) Military protocol, military dress, military jargon, and Marine Corps traditions.
(d) Survival skills, Marine history, rules and regulations, weaponry, and how to kill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Caputo and his platoon have in common?
2. From where does the attrition in 1st Battalion come?
3. What does Caputo say is the second stage of soldiers in battle?
4. How does Gonzales become the first casualty of Caputo's platoon?
5. Why does boredom get replaced with terror on the outpost hill?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)