|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
(a) Out drinking and visiting the Okinawan prostitutes
(b) On leave in Tokyo
(c) Sitting on the beach surf fishing
(d) Asleep in their quarters
2. How does Caputo describe his feeling after learning about the death and casualties?
(a) It is the remorse of not having been with his men.
(b) It is the detachment of unreality.
(c) It is the first time he feelst the slimy, hollow-cold fear of death.
(d) It is the sadness of seeing his friends changed.
3. What familiar smells and sounds does Caputo comment on back at base camp?
(a) He mentions the oil and solvent used for cleaning rifles and the metallic sound of cleaning rods.
(b) He mentions the smell of sweaty uniforms and the sound of the field radio.
(c) He comments on the smell of spent ammunition and the sound of beetles.
(d) He mentions the smell of insect repellent and the sound of mosquitoes.
4. What does Caputo observe about the young mother as they are searching her house?
(a) How she appreciates his putting everything back in place.
(b) How she looks on with complete passivity and without without expression.
(c) How frightened she looks.
(d) How she covers her face with a scarf.
5. During the summer, how is life for the Vietnamese peasants?
(a) It is life as usual, working in the rice paddies.
(b) It is busy transplanting people to another area of the country.
(c) It is filled with apprehension about the VC.
(d) It is dead with no one working in the paddies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lemmon say they are trying to do while the Howies are strafing the area?
2. How does Caputo explain Peterson's walking away and not looking at Sullivan after he is shot?
3. What is the aim of Caputo's first entry into combat?
4. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
5. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)