|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
(b) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
(c) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
(d) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
2. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The telephone operators
(b) The prostitutes
(c) The messhall cooks
(d) The chaplains
3. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
(b) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(c) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(d) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
4. How does Caputo describe his platoon?
(a) They are all uneducated and street fighters.
(b) As a highly polished fighting machine that needed no training.
(c) They are a group of strangers and misfits.
(d) As men who enlist, train and travel together from the beginning.
5. Why do they get ready to move out to the war zone several times?
(a) There is nothing better to do.
(b) It's a kind of war game they play.
(c) They want to be sure they know what to do.
(d) There are several false alarms of going to war, but none pan out .
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
2. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
3. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
4. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
5. How do they get from Okinawa to Vietnam?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)