|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they experience on their first night?
(a) Night brings sniper fire in the distance and swarms of biting insects.
(b) The night becomes unbearably cold.
(c) At night they can see the flashes of bombs detonated.
(d) Night brings on a monsoon rain.
2. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
(a) They play in the jungle by day and drink with the prostitutes by night.
(b) They work as extras for McHale's Navy.
(c) They carve monkey faces in coconuts.
(d) They do hours of calisthenics.
3. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
(a) Men who caused him the most grief
(b) Men with whom he played poker and drank beer
(c) Men who always followed his orders to the letter
(d) Men who either died or were severely wounded in combat
4. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
(a) A group of forty Marines in the Third Marines Division
(b) Men he went to basic training with
(c) New recruits from Alabama
(d) Older, war experienced non-coms
5. Where are most of the men when the orders come to deploy to Vietnam?
(a) Asleep in their quarters
(b) Out drinking and visiting the Okinawan prostitutes
(c) Sitting on the beach surf fishing
(d) On leave in Tokyo
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does 2d Lt. Caputo make on a training exercise that gets him a reprimand?
2. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
3. Why is it difficult to round up the platoon?
4. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
5. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)