|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he imagine being in the military will be like?
(a) He enters the war with romantic notions of being a hero.
(b) He imagines it will be like taking a vacation.
(c) He thinks it will be frightening but he needs the money.
(d) He thinks it will be dull and routine.
2. What are some of the things Caputo learns in Marine training?
(a) Military protocol, military dress, military jargon, and Marine Corps traditions.
(b) Use of new technology, making homemade weapons, and disarming women combatants.
(c) Survival skills, Marine history, rules and regulations, weaponry, and how to kill.
(d) Physical exercize, recommended reading, and filing of paperwork.
3. At what age does Philip Caputo enlist in the Marine Corps?
4. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
(b) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(c) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(d) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
5. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
(a) Kennedy's inaugral "Ask what you can do for your country" speech.
(b) FDR's "Nothing to Fear" speech.
(c) Marc Anthony's "I came not to praise Caesar" speech
(d) King's "I have a dream" speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
2. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
3. What is the stated interest of the U. S. government for war in Vietnam?
4. Does Caputo believe the deployment is for real when he is told about it?
5. What do they hear about right away?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)