|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
(a) Battles are fought in the jungle with Viet Cong who refuse to play by the rules learned in military training.
(b) He will never get to see military action.
(c) He has made a big mistake in joining the Marines.
(d) He has not been properly prepared by the Marines.
2. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
(a) They play in the jungle by day and drink with the prostitutes by night.
(b) They carve monkey faces in coconuts.
(c) They work as extras for McHale's Navy.
(d) They do hours of calisthenics.
3. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
(a) As an easy way to make money
(b) As an occasion for excitement and danger
(c) As financial security for the rest of his life
(d) As good training for surviving natural disasters
4. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The telephone operators
(b) The messhall cooks
(c) The prostitutes
(d) The chaplains
5. What happens right under their noses as they settle into Danang?
(a) A dog is blown up as is a sandbag between two men in a foxhole.
(b) Dozens of B-52 bombers land to rearm.
(c) An open attack is launched by the Viet Cong.
(d) A private is killed by friendly fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the majority opinion about the countermanded orders to ship out?
2. Why do they get ready to move out to the war zone several times?
3. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
4. What do they hear about right away?
5. How do they spend their first day at Danang?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)