|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Caputo choose to enlist with the Marines?
(a) It promises to fulfill all his expectations more than any other branch of the service.
(b) He thought the Marines had the best dress uniforms.
(c) He did not want to be on a ship or fly an airplane.
(d) It was the only branch of the service accepting volunteers at the time.
2. Who seems to know what will happen better than the soldiers?
(a) The messhall cooks
(b) The telephone operators
(c) The prostitutes
(d) The chaplains
3. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
(a) Kennedy's inaugral "Ask what you can do for your country" speech.
(b) King's "I have a dream" speech.
(c) FDR's "Nothing to Fear" speech.
(d) Marc Anthony's "I came not to praise Caesar" speech
4. Who makes up Caputo's first command?
(a) A group of forty Marines in the Third Marines Division
(b) New recruits from Alabama
(c) Older, war experienced non-coms
(d) Men he went to basic training with
5. What sobering realization does Caputo come to after his service in Vietnam?
(a) He is too young when he enlists to realize how boring the military really is.
(b) That serving your country is a greater responsibility than anyone understands.
(c) That war is the only answer to the problems of the world.
(d) He wants so badly to be a man in the middle of danger, that he did not realize he iss toying with death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
2. What does Caputo call the training for war?
3. What is everyone told about the war in the first briefing Caputo attends?
4. What do they experience on their first night?
5. How does Caputo see future life in the military?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)