|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the new command, what does Caputo say the men do?
(a) They do hours of calisthenics.
(b) They carve monkey faces in coconuts.
(c) They work as extras for McHale's Navy.
(d) They play in the jungle by day and drink with the prostitutes by night.
2. What does Caputo call the training for war?
(a) The last torture
(b) A little bit of hell
(c) A subtle kind of mind control
(d) The calm before the storm
3. What reality soon sets in for Caputo?
(a) Battles are fought in the jungle with Viet Cong who refuse to play by the rules learned in military training.
(b) He has not been properly prepared by the Marines.
(c) He has made a big mistake in joining the Marines.
(d) He will never get to see military action.
4. What do they hear about right away?
(a) They hear that Saigon has fallen.
(b) They hear of a possible surrender of the Viet Cong.
(c) They hear of death and paralysis for some soldiers.
(d) They hear that they will go to the front lines.
5. What does Caputo do at Camp Upshur, Virginia?
(a) He attends college classes.
(b) He waits for his orders to go to basic training.
(c) He gets his physical fitness examination.
(d) He goes through basic training.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
2. What does Caputo say he learns later about the war in Vietnam?
3. What famous speech inspires Caputo to join the military?
4. What becomes of major importance to Caputo in those early days?
5. What names does Caputo recall from his platoon?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)