• Caputo lays the background for his joining the Marine Crops right out of college.
• Caputo gives some insight into the developing US involvement in Indochina.
• He discusses his recollections of military training, specifically the close order drills.
• He explains his determination not to be an unsat or a marginal.
• There is intense indoctrination which he compares to Communist brainwashing techniques.
• Conversely, there is the glamor of the parade review.
• Finally receiving his commission, he goes to Basic School which he describes as a half-way house between campus and the Marine Corps.
• Amphibious warfare school is a week of seasick days and drunken nights.
• Caputo details memories of his first command where only certain people are memorable.
• The platoon sergeant represents a certain conflict but receives Caputo's respect as well.
• Caputo lands in Okinawa with his platoon.
• Uniformity in everything is stressed right down to blue and...
This section contains 2,321 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)