|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Jessie and her mother tending to Jessie's brother?
(a) Because he is nursing a hangover
(b) Because he has a migraine
(c) Because he has broken his arm
(d) Because he has broken his leg
2. Who catches the most fish on this day?
(c) Mr. Maclean
3. Who helps take Neal upstairs to bed?
(a) Jessie's mother
(d) Mr. Maclean
4. Where do Norman and Paul fish?
(a) The Mississippi River
(b) The Colorado River
(c) The Blackfoot River
(d) The Missouri River
5. The next morning Paul arrives at Norman's house to _________________________________________.
(a) go fishing with Norman and Jessie's family
(b) to go on a picnic
(c) help paint the house
(d) to get things ready for an auction
6. What do Norman and Mr. Maclean come to realize?
(a) They should take fishing lessons.
(b) They need to be kinder to people.
(c) They do not know how they could have done anything differently.
(d) They should see a psychiatrist.
7. What does Paul put in the river?
(a) soft drinks
(b) his boots
8. Why does Paul invite Norman to stay the night at his house?
(a) Because he wants to take him to breakfast at a new restaurant.
(b) Because it is late and it is a long drive back to Norman's house.
(c) Because Norman's car is almost out of gas.
(d) Because Norman has had too much to drink.
9. What fact do the men not realize at the end of this day?
(a) That Neal has died in a car accident
(b) That this is the last time that Norman and Paul will fish together
(c) That this is the last time that Mr. Maclean will fish with them
(d) That Mrs. Maclean has had a heart attack
10. What kind of personality does Norman's brother-in-law have?
11. What do Norman and Mr. Maclean talk about while watching Paul fish?
(b) Mrs. Maclean
(c) the church
12. What do Neal and Old Rawhide want to do with Norman and Paul?
(a) go to the movies
(b) race cars
(c) go fishing
(d) play cards
13. Where does Paul suggest that he and Norman take the drunken Neal?
(a) To Neal's mother's house
(b) To an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting
(c) To a clinic
(d) Back to the bar
14. What does Norman do after he takes Paul and his girlfriend back to Paul's house?
(a) He goes out to get food to fix breakfast for all of them
(b) He goes to his own home.
(c) He fixes a pot of coffee.
(d) He berates Paul for bad behavior.
15. What is notable about Old Rawhide's derriere?
(a) She is in great shape.
(b) She has a huge bruise.
(c) She has a big birthmark.
(d) She has a tattoo on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jessie angry at Norman?
2. Who in the family becomes an expert fisherman?
3. What happens in the following month of May?
4. What does Norman decide to do because he is frustrated with his family situation?
5. Why does Norman think that Paul needs help?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)