|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
2. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
3. Ralph tells Catherine that Antonio reminds him of whom?
4. What is a doctor's diagnosis of Ralph's condition?
5. Most of Ralph's fortune comes from his business in which industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
2. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
3. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
4. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
5. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
6. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
7. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
8. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
9. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
10. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Truitt decide to keep Catherine in spite of the fact that she misrepresented herself? Why did Truitt allow his relationship with Catherine to begin with a lie? What do Truitt's decisions say about his character?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)