|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
2. When did Antonio have sex with Catherine's sister?
3. Most of Ralph's fortune comes from his business in which industry?
4. What does Catherine do with the arsenic?
5. What does Ralph ask Catherine if she will do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
2. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
3. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
4. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
5. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
6. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
7. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
8. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
9. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
10. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)