|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
2. Which of the following is NOT a food Antonio indulges in on a regular basis?
3. What does Catherine see descend toward Alice?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Antonio acquires while living at the Italian house?
5. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
2. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
3. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
4. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
5. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
6. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
7. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
8. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
9. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
10. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Truitt decide to keep Catherine in spite of the fact that she misrepresented herself? Why did Truitt allow his relationship with Catherine to begin with a lie? What do Truitt's decisions say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)