|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
2. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
3. How did Catherine's father die?
4. What does Ralph look for while Catherine is bathing?
5. What food was shipped in to the farm from Chicago because Ralph craved it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
2. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
3. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
4. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
5. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
6. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
7. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
8. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
9. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
10. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)