|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ralph was a young man, he used arsenic as an aphrodisiac in ___________________.
2. Why does Mr. Larsen cut off his hand?
3. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
4. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
5. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
2. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
3. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
4. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
5. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
6. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
7. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
8. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
9. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
10. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ralph allow himself to be gradually poisoned by Catherine, even after he's aware of what's happening to him? What does this decision say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)