|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
2. Where does Antonio say that Catherine's sister is?
3. Who is the sister Catherine searches for while in St. Louis?
4. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
5. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
2. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
3. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
4. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
5. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
6. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
7. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
8. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
9. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
10. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ralph allow himself to be gradually poisoned by Catherine, even after he's aware of what's happening to him? What does this decision say about his character?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)