|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Ralph's bedtime rituals?
2. How old was Alice when she was kept by a forty-year-old man?
3. To whom does Ralph deed the farmhouse?
4. What does Catherine do with the arsenic?
5. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
2. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
3. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
4. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
5. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
6. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
7. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
8. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
9. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
10. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Catherine becomes obsessed with nurturing and reviving the "secret garden" of the Italian house? What insights does this preoccupation reveal about Catherine's character?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)