|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ralph was a young man, he used arsenic as an aphrodisiac in ___________________.
2. Why does Catherine proceed with her plan to kill Ralph even though she loves him now?
3. Why does Ralph value Mrs. Larsen so much?
4. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
5. When did Antonio have sex with Catherine's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
2. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
3. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
4. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
5. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
6. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
7. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
8. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
9. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
10. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)