|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
2. Where does Catherine spend a lot of time while in St. Louis?
3. What are Catherine's thoughts after Antonio says he doesn't want to hear from her until Ralph is dead?
4. Why does Mr. Larsen cut off his hand?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph has a profound fear of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
2. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
3. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
4. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
5. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
6. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
7. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
8. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
9. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
10. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Catherine becomes obsessed with nurturing and reviving the "secret garden" of the Italian house? What insights does this preoccupation reveal about Catherine's character?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Truitt and Catherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)