|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Antonio say that Catherine's sister is?
2. Who was Catherine's lover whom she caught in bed with twelve-year-old Alice?
3. Where does Catherine spend a lot of time while in St. Louis?
4. Why does Ralph value Mrs. Larsen so much?
5. How does Ralph know that the arsenic poisoning in his body is getting worse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
2. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
3. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
4. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
5. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
6. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
7. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
8. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
9. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
10. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)