|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
2. Most of Ralph's fortune comes from his business in which industry?
3. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
4. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
5. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
2. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
3. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
4. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
5. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
6. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
7. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
8. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
9. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
10. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)