|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph ask Catherine if she will do for him?
2. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
3. Who does Catherine visit when she goes to Chicago?
4. What does Catherine see descend toward Alice?
5. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
2. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
3. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
4. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
5. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
6. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
7. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
8. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
9. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
10. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)