|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
2. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
3. Catherine spends her nights with Antonio and her days _________________________.
4. Who is the sister Catherine searches for while in St. Louis?
5. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
2. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
3. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
4. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
5. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
6. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
7. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
8. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
9. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
10. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Larsens. What are their roles in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Larsens in the story?
Essay Topic 3
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)