|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
2. Most of Ralph's fortune comes from his business in which industry?
3. Where did Emilia go after she left Ralph all those years ago?
4. What is the message of the telegram that Catherine sends to Antonio?
5. How old was Alice when she was kept by a forty-year-old man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
2. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
3. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
4. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
5. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
6. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
7. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
8. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
9. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
10. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)