|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
2. Ralph suggests that Antonio go to ___________________ to play.
3. Ralph tells Catherine that Antonio reminds him of whom?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
5. How old was Antonio when Ralph killed the person in #96?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
2. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
3. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
4. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
5. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
6. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
7. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
8. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
9. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
10. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)