|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food was shipped in to the farm from Chicago because Ralph craved it?
2. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
3. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
4. Why does Mr. Larsen cut off his hand?
5. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
2. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
3. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
4. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
5. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
6. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
7. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
8. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
9. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
10. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ralph allow himself to be gradually poisoned by Catherine, even after he's aware of what's happening to him? What does this decision say about his character?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)