|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Antonio have sex with Catherine's sister?
2. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
3. Most of Ralph's fortune comes from his business in which industry?
4. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio again?
5. Why does Mr. Larsen cut off his hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
2. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
3. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
4. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
5. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
6. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
7. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
8. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
9. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
10. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Truitt decide to keep Catherine in spite of the fact that she misrepresented herself? Why did Truitt allow his relationship with Catherine to begin with a lie? What do Truitt's decisions say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)