|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph had meant to be in his life?
2. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
3. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
4. Who does Catherine visit when she goes to Chicago?
5. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
2. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
3. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
4. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
5. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
6. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
7. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
8. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
9. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
10. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Truitt and Catherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)