|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
2. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
3. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
4. Where does Antonio say that Catherine's sister is?
5. What is a doctor's diagnosis of Ralph's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
2. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
3. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
4. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
5. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
6. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
7. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
8. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
9. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
10. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)