|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
2. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
3. Where did Catherine move when she no longer had Alice in her life?
4. How long does Catherine stay in bed and cry after she realizes that Alice can't be saved?
5. What joy did Catherine discover in the city in #113?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
2. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
3. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
4. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
5. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
6. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
7. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
8. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
9. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
10. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)