|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph have built in the Italian house as a wedding gift to Catherine?
2. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
3. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
4. Who arrives at the Truitt house one night?
5. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
2. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
3. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
4. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
5. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
6. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
7. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
8. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
9. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
10. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cold weather takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)