|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
2. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
3. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
4. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
5. Who is Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
2. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
3. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
4. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
5. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
6. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
7. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
8. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
9. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
10. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Catherine becomes obsessed with nurturing and reviving the "secret garden" of the Italian house? What insights does this preoccupation reveal about Catherine's character?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,672 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)