|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
2. What name does Antonio go by in St. Louis?
3. Catherine says that she learned how to stitch wounds by __________________________.
4. Why do the private investigators advise Catherine to not pursue Antonio any longer?
5. What did Ralph's mother do to show him how much hell can hurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Malloy and Fisk report to Catherine regarding Antonio and to what do they reluctantly agree to do for Catherine?
2. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
3. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
4. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
5. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
6. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
7. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
8. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
9. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
10. What do the secret garden and the Italian house symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)