|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. Catherine has studied which language?
4. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
5. How many years ago did Ralph lose his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
2. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
3. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
4. What do the secret garden and the Italian house symbolize?
5. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
6. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
7. What do Malloy and Fisk report to Catherine regarding Antonio and to what do they reluctantly agree to do for Catherine?
8. How does Mrs. Larsen show Catherine that she will not stand by and let anyone else hurt Truitt?
9. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
10. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Larsens. What are their roles in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Larsens in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Truitt and Catherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)