|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
2. What did Ralph tell Antonio about his mother?
3. What is Catherine's last name?
4. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
5. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
2. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
3. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
4. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
5. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
6. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
7. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
8. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
9. How does Mrs. Larsen show Catherine that she will not stand by and let anyone else hurt Truitt?
10. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A RELIABLE WIFE is a classic story of good vs. evil. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The cold weather takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)