|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph is obsessed with __________________.
2. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
3. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
4. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
5. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
2. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
3. Describe the carriage accident in which Ralph is hurt.
4. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
5. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
6. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
7. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
8. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
9. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
10. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ralph allow himself to be gradually poisoned by Catherine, even after he's aware of what's happening to him? What does this decision say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)