|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph's mail order bride claimed that she was looking for ____________________.
2. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
3. What does Ralph expect of Catherine?
4. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
5. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
2. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
3. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
4. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
5. What do Malloy and Fisk report to Catherine regarding Antonio and to what do they reluctantly agree to do for Catherine?
6. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
7. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
8. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
9. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
10. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Catherine becomes obsessed with nurturing and reviving the "secret garden" of the Italian house? What insights does this preoccupation reveal about Catherine's character?
Essay Topic 3
The cold weather takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,698 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)