|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
2. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
3. The diamond ring that Ralph gave Catherine looked like which type of flower?
4. Why did Ralph's father send him a large amount of money in Italy?
5. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
2. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
3. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
4. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
5. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
6. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
7. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
8. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
9. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
10. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in early 20th century America. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truitt decide to keep Catherine in spite of the fact that she misrepresented herself? Why did Truitt allow his relationship with Catherine to begin with a lie? What do Truitt's decisions say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the characters of Catherine and Antonio. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)