|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
2. Why do the private investigators advise Catherine to not pursue Antonio any longer?
3. What color is the small bottle that Catherine pays attention to while unpacking?
4. Who is Catherine?
5. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
2. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
3. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
4. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
5. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
6. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
7. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
8. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
9. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
10. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The cold weather takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)