|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
2. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
3. What does Catherine buy before returning to her hotel room after meeting with Antonio?
4. What did Ralph tell Antonio about his mother?
5. The diamond ring that Ralph gave Catherine looked like which type of flower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
2. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
3. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
4. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
5. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
6. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
7. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
8. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
9. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
10. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)