|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
2. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
3. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
4. Catherine has studied which language?
5. Where did Ralph go away to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
2. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
3. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
4. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
5. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
6. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
7. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
8. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
9. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
10. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Catherine becomes obsessed with nurturing and reviving the "secret garden" of the Italian house? What insights does this preoccupation reveal about Catherine's character?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)