|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
2. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
3. What does Catherine buy before returning to her hotel room after meeting with Antonio?
4. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
5. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
2. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
3. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
4. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
5. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
6. What are the two metaphors the author creates by having Antonio fall through the thin ice?
7. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
8. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
9. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
10. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,646 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)