|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
2. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
3. What does Catherine pay particular attention to as she unpacks?
4. What day does Ralph choose to marry Catherine?
5. What does Catherine notice as she and Ralph drive toward his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
2. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
3. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
4. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
5. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
6. What do Malloy and Fisk report to Catherine regarding Antonio and to what do they reluctantly agree to do for Catherine?
7. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
8. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
9. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
10. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Catherine becomes obsessed with nurturing and reviving the "secret garden" of the Italian house? What insights does this preoccupation reveal about Catherine's character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)