|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
2. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
3. What day does Ralph choose to marry Catherine?
4. What does Catherine do on New Year's Day?
5. What does Ralph expect of Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
2. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
3. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
4. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
5. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
6. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
7. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
8. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
9. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
10. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the characters of Catherine and Antonio. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)