Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
2. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
3. What does Catherine buy before returning to her hotel room after meeting with Antonio?
4. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
5. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
2. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
3. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
4. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
5. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
6. What are the two metaphors the author creates by having Antonio fall through the thin ice?
7. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
8. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
9. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
10. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)