Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
2. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
3. What does Catherine buy before returning to her hotel room after meeting with Antonio?
4. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
5. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
2. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
3. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
4. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
5. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
6. What are the two metaphors the author creates by having Antonio fall through the thin ice?
7. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
8. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
9. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
10. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in early 20th century America. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the characters of Catherine and Antonio. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Truitt decide to keep Catherine in spite of the fact that she misrepresented herself? Why did Truitt allow his relationship with Catherine to begin with a lie? What do Truitt's decisions say about his character?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)