|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
2. What does Catherine pay particular attention to as she unpacks?
3. Catherine realized a while ago that she cannot live without love or ____________________.
4. Catherine fabricates a story about her father being a/an _____________________.
5. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
2. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
3. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
4. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
5. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
6. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
7. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
8. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
9. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
10. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Truitt decide to keep Catherine in spite of the fact that she misrepresented herself? Why did Truitt allow his relationship with Catherine to begin with a lie? What do Truitt's decisions say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
The cold weather takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)