|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tends to Ralph during his illness?
2. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
3. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
4. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
5. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
2. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
3. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
4. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
5. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
6. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
7. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
8. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
9. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
10. Describe the carriage accident in which Ralph is hurt.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Larsens. What are their roles in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Larsens in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ralph allow himself to be gradually poisoned by Catherine, even after he's aware of what's happening to him? What does this decision say about his character?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)