|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine notes that there are no _________________ in Ralph's house.
2. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
3. What did Ralph's mother do to show him how much hell can hurt?
4. When confronted by Catherine and the private detectives, what does Antonio say his name is?
5. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
2. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
3. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
4. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
5. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
6. What do the secret garden and the Italian house symbolize?
7. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
8. Describe the carriage accident in which Ralph is hurt.
9. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
10. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Larsens. What are their roles in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the Larsens in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)