|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
2. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
3. Where did Ralph go away to college?
4. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
5. Catherine says that she learned how to stitch wounds by __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
2. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
3. Describe the carriage accident in which Ralph is hurt.
4. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
5. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
6. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
7. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
8. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
9. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
10. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Truitt. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
The cold weather takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)