|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
2. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
3. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
4. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
5. What does Catherine notice as she and Ralph drive toward his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
2. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
3. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
4. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
5. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
6. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
7. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
8. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
9. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
10. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine compare to the wife Truitt thought he was getting as a mail order bride? Is he happy that Catherine turned out to be who she was or does Ralph still wish for the meek, ordinary woman in the photograph?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in early 20th century America. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)