|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine like about St. Louis?
2. What did Ralph tell Antonio about his mother?
3. What did Ralph do after college?
4. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
5. What is the hotel where Catherine stays in St. Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
2. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
3. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
4. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
5. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
6. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
7. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
8. What do the secret garden and the Italian house symbolize?
9. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
10. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Truitt and Antonio. How are they different? How are they similar? Why is Catherine so attracted to both of them?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two themes about evil in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Truitt and Catherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)