|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
2. Who was Emilia's second child?
3. How many years ago did Ralph lose his wife?
4. What does Catherine buy before returning to her hotel room after meeting with Antonio?
5. Why do the private investigators advise Catherine to not pursue Antonio any longer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
2. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
3. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
4. Describe the carriage accident in which Ralph is hurt.
5. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
6. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
7. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
8. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
9. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
10. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Catherine becomes obsessed with nurturing and reviving the "secret garden" of the Italian house? What insights does this preoccupation reveal about Catherine's character?
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on a human persona in this story especially surrounding the characters of Catherine and Antonio. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Truitt and Catherine. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)