|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When confronted by Catherine and the private detectives, what does Antonio say his name is?
2. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
3. Where did Ralph go away to college?
4. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
5. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
2. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
3. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
4. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
5. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
6. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
7. What do the secret garden and the Italian house symbolize?
8. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
9. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
10. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ralph allow himself to be gradually poisoned by Catherine, even after he's aware of what's happening to him? What does this decision say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Antonio. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)