|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ralph's father send him a large amount of money in Italy?
2. What does Ralph tell Catherine before he collapses in the carriage?
3. What does Catherine constantly imagine herself doing?
4. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
5. Who are the servants at Ralph's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
2. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
3. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
4. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
5. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
6. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
7. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
8. How does Mrs. Larsen show Catherine that she will not stand by and let anyone else hurt Truitt?
9. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
10. How does Antonio die?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ralph allow himself to be gradually poisoned by Catherine, even after he's aware of what's happening to him? What does this decision say about his character?
This section contains 1,678 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)