|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph has a profound fear of?
(a) Other people.
(c) Being looked at.
(d) Being touched.
2. Where does Catherine spend a lot of time while in St. Louis?
(a) Bonwit & Teller Department Store.
(b) La Belle Grande Hair Salon.
(c) The Orpheus Theater.
(d) The Missouri Botanical Garden.
3. What nickname do old people give to arsenic?
(a) Liquid death.
(b) Nectar of Satan.
(c) Inheritance powder.
(d) The bitter end.
4. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
(a) New York.
(b) San Francisco.
5. What does Ralph look for while Catherine is bathing?
(a) Some letters.
(b) The arsenic.
(d) A journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Ralph's bedtime rituals?
2. From what disease did Emilia die?
3. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
4. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
5. What does Catherine see descend toward Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
2. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
3. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
4. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
5. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
6. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
7. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
8. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
9. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
10. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)