|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
(a) He wants a divorce.
(b) He killed Francesca.
(c) He knows what she is doing.
(d) He has changed his mind about Antonio.
2. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
(a) Veronica Adams.
(b) Victoria Anderson.
(c) Violet Alverson.
(d) Vernie Allen.
3. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
(a) He just moves away.
(b) He sends a note with a bouquet.
(c) He takes her to dinner.
(d) He sends a letter.
4. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
(a) Such things happen.
(b) It is what it is.
(c) If only she had known.
(d) Don't think about it now.
5. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine will not kill Ralph?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Tell Ralph about having sex with Catherine.
(c) Kill Ralph himself.
(d) Track her down and kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
2. What nickname do old people give to arsenic?
3. How does Ralph know he is being poisoned?
4. How does Violet die?
5. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
2. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
3. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
4. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
5. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
6. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
7. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
8. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
9. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
10. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)