|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Catherine's thoughts after Antonio says he doesn't want to hear from her until Ralph is dead?
(a) She thinks about telling Ralph the truth.
(b) She thinks about killing herself.
(c) She decides to kill Antonio.
(d) She decides to move to Baltimore.
2. How does Violet die?
(a) She hangs herself.
(b) She is thrown from her horse.
(c) She is shot.
(d) She drowns.
3. Ralph suggests that Antonio go to ___________________ to play.
4. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
(a) He is outraged.
(b) He is pensive.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He doesn't care.
5. Why does Catherine proceed with her plan to kill Ralph even though she loves him now?
(a) She lied when she said she loved him.
(b) She wants his money more than his love.
(c) She is afraid that Antonio will expose her.
(d) She is still in love with Antonio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Catherine move when she no longer had Alice in her life?
2. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
3. What does Ralph look for while Catherine is bathing?
4. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
5. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
2. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
3. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
4. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
5. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
6. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
7. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
8. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
9. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
10. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)