|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Ralph deed the farmhouse?
(b) The Larsens.
2. What does Mrs. Larsen represent for Ralph?
(d) A mother figure.
3. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
(a) A Chinese doctor.
(b) A neurologist.
(d) A naturopath.
4. What does Catherine realize about her own health when she is in Chicago?
(a) She has malaria.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is being poisoned too.
(d) She is sick with migraines.
5. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
(c) Drug dens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname do old people give to arsenic?
2. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
4. Ralph tells Catherine that Antonio reminds him of whom?
5. How does Ralph know that the arsenic poisoning in his body is getting worse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
2. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
3. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
4. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
5. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
6. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
7. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
8. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
9. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
10. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)