|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Catherine and Alice live after their father died?
(a) A great-aunt's home.
(b) The poorhouse.
(c) An orphanage.
(d) A foster family.
2. How did Catherine earn money to take care of herself and Alice?
(a) She sewed.
(b) She cooked in a restaurant.
(c) She cleaned houses.
(d) She prostituted herself.
3. What nickname do old people give to arsenic?
(a) Inheritance powder.
(b) The bitter end.
(c) Nectar of Satan.
(d) Liquid death.
4. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
(a) A hotel room key.
(b) An address.
(c) Some food.
(d) Her fur coat.
5. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
(a) It is what it is.
(b) Don't think about it now.
(c) Such things happen.
(d) If only she had known.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do with the arsenic?
2. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
3. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
4. What is Antonio's demeanor in the Italian house?
5. Why does Catherine proceed with her plan to kill Ralph even though she loves him now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
2. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
3. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
4. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
5. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
6. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
7. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
8. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
9. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
10. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)