|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Ralph deed the farmhouse?
(d) The Larsens.
2. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
(a) He is outraged.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is pensive.
(d) He doesn't care.
3. What does Catherine realize about her own health when she is in Chicago?
(a) She has malaria.
(b) She is sick with migraines.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is being poisoned too.
4. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
(a) He sends a letter.
(b) He just moves away.
(c) He takes her to dinner.
(d) He sends a note with a bouquet.
5. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
(a) A hotel room key.
(b) Some food.
(c) Her fur coat.
(d) An address.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
2. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
3. Where did Emilia go after she left Ralph all those years ago?
4. Where did Catherine move when she no longer had Alice in her life?
5. Why does Ralph value Mrs. Larsen so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
2. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
3. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
4. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
5. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
6. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
7. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
8. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
9. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
10. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)