|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Ralph's bedtime rituals?
(a) Writing in a journal.
(b) Drinking a glass of water left by his bed.
(c) Reading until he falls asleep.
2. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
(a) Veronica Adams.
(b) Vernie Allen.
(c) Victoria Anderson.
(d) Violet Alverson.
3. How old was Catherine when her mother died?
4. What does Catherine realize about her own health when she is in Chicago?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is sick with migraines.
(c) She is being poisoned too.
(d) She has malaria.
5. The Italian house is a metaphor for what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
2. Where did Catherine move when she no longer had Alice in her life?
3. What does Mrs. Larsen represent for Ralph?
4. What does Catherine do with the arsenic?
5. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
2. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
3. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
4. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
5. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
6. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
7. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
8. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
9. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
10. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)