|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
(a) Drinks brandy.
(b) Makes love to another woman.
(c) Sobs in his bed.
(d) Plays the piano.
2. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
3. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
(a) Veronica Adams.
(b) Vernie Allen.
(c) Victoria Anderson.
(d) Violet Alverson.
4. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
(c) Silk fabric.
(d) A carriage.
5. What is one of Ralph's bedtime rituals?
(a) Writing in a journal.
(c) Reading until he falls asleep.
(d) Drinking a glass of water left by his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph had meant to be in his life?
2. Most of Ralph's fortune comes from his business in which industry?
3. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
4. How old was Catherine when her mother died?
5. Where does Catherine spend a lot of time while in St. Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
2. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
3. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
4. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
5. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
6. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
7. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
8. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
9. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
10. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)