|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
(a) It is very rumpled.
(b) It is old and faded.
(c) It is hardly used.
(d) It is always soiled.
2. Where does Antonio say that Catherine's sister is?
(a) Wild Cat Chute.
(b) La Belle d'Amour brothel.
3. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
(a) Her fur coat.
(b) A hotel room key.
(c) An address.
(d) Some food.
4. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
(b) Community service.
(c) His business.
5. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Catherine proceed with her plan to kill Ralph even though she loves him now?
2. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
3. From what disease did Emilia die?
4. What are Catherine's thoughts after Antonio says he doesn't want to hear from her until Ralph is dead?
5. What does Ralph have built in the Italian house as a wedding gift to Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
2. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
3. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
4. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
5. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
6. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
7. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
8. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
9. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
10. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)