|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
(a) It is always soiled.
(b) It is hardly used.
(c) It is very rumpled.
(d) It is old and faded.
2. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
(a) Veronica Adams.
(b) Victoria Anderson.
(c) Vernie Allen.
(d) Violet Alverson.
3. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
(a) He has horrific nightmares.
(b) He bleeds from his ears.
(c) He can't stand to be touched.
(d) He develops deep blisters.
4. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
(a) Move to Europe.
(b) Dance on his grave.
(c) Marry Catherine.
(d) Live in the Italian house.
5. Who was Catherine's lover whom she caught in bed with twelve-year-old Alice?
(a) Uncle Skip.
(b) Uncle Sammie.
(c) Uncle Chip.
(d) Uncle Sid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the sister Catherine searches for while in St. Louis?
2. What nickname do old people give to arsenic?
3. How did Catherine's father die?
4. What is the message of the telegram that Catherine sends to Antonio?
5. How old was Alice when she was kept by a forty-year-old man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
2. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
3. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
4. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
5. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
6. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
7. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
8. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
9. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
10. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)