|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the message of the telegram that Catherine sends to Antonio?
(b) Come at once.
(c) It is over.
(d) Joyful end.
2. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
(a) He takes her to dinner.
(b) He sends a note with a bouquet.
(c) He sends a letter.
(d) He just moves away.
3. What is Antonio's demeanor in the Italian house?
4. How does Ralph know he is being poisoned?
(a) He finds the little blue bottle of arsenic.
(b) He is dizzy all the time.
(c) He tastes it in the water.
(d) He tastes it in his food.
5. What does Catherine see descend toward Alice?
(a) An angel.
(b) A feather.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine visit when she goes to Chicago?
2. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
3. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
4. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
5. Which of the following is NOT a food Antonio indulges in on a regular basis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
2. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
3. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
4. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
5. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
6. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
7. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
8. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
9. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
10. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)