|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Antonio acquires while living at the Italian house?
(a) An Arabian horse.
(b) A car.
(c) French Impressionist paintings.
(d) A woman.
2. Where does Antonio say that Catherine's sister is?
(c) La Belle d'Amour brothel.
(d) Wild Cat Chute.
3. Catherine spends her nights with Antonio and her days _________________________.
(a) Going to matinees.
(b) Getting her hair styled.
(c) Sleeping at her hotel.
(d) Shopping for clothes.
4. What is the only regret Ralph has as he faces death?
(a) Marrying Catherine.
(b) Marrying Emilia.
(c) Not reconciling with Antonio.
(d) Building the Italian house.
5. How long does Catherine stay in bed and cry after she realizes that Alice can't be saved?
(a) One week.
(b) Two days.
(c) One month.
(d) A few days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Catherine proceed with her plan to kill Ralph even though she loves him now?
2. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
3. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
4. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph has a profound fear of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a nightly glass of water symbolize Mrs. Larsen as a mother figure?
2. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
3. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
4. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
5. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio and why does she write to Truitt about her upcoming visit?
6. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
7. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
8. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
9. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
10. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)