|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
(a) Coming to get him himself.
(b) Giving him an apology.
(c) Being dead.
(d) Wiring him some money.
2. How does Violet die?
(a) She drowns.
(b) She is thrown from her horse.
(c) She is shot.
(d) She hangs herself.
3. What joy did Catherine discover in the city in #113?
(a) The park.
(d) The library.
4. What does Ralph have built in the Italian house as a wedding gift to Catherine?
(a) A library.
(b) A safe.
(c) Modern bathrooms.
(d) A fountain.
5. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
(a) He just moves away.
(b) He sends a note with a bouquet.
(c) He takes her to dinner.
(d) He sends a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
2. Catherine spends her nights with Antonio and her days _________________________.
3. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
4. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
5. Why does Catherine proceed with her plan to kill Ralph even though she loves him now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
2. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
3. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
4. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
5. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
6. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
7. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
8. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
9. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
10. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)