|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonio tells Catherine that Ralph's rage was assuaged only by drugs and _______________.
2. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
(a) His business.
(b) Community service.
3. When Ralph was a young man, he used arsenic as an aphrodisiac in ___________________.
4. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
(a) The jewels she had lost on the road.
(b) A new piano.
(c) Diamond earrings.
(d) A fur coat.
5. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
2. From what disease did Emilia die?
3. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine will not kill Ralph?
4. How does Ralph know that the arsenic poisoning in his body is getting worse?
5. How does Violet die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
2. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
3. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
4. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
5. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
6. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
7. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
8. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
9. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
10. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)