|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Catherine move when she no longer had Alice in her life?
2. What does Catherine realize about her own health when she is in Chicago?
(a) She is being poisoned too.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has malaria.
(d) She is sick with migraines.
3. Most of Ralph's fortune comes from his business in which industry?
4. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
(a) Being dead.
(b) Giving him an apology.
(c) Wiring him some money.
(d) Coming to get him himself.
5. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
(a) Violet Alverson.
(b) Veronica Adams.
(c) Vernie Allen.
(d) Victoria Anderson.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
2. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Antonio acquires while living at the Italian house?
4. What does Ralph have built in the Italian house as a wedding gift to Catherine?
5. Where did Emilia go after she left Ralph all those years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
2. Describe how Catherine vacillates on poisoning Truitt and how she makes the decision to stop altogether.
3. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
4. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
5. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
6. What happens between Antonio (Manetti) and Catherine when she finally goes to his apartment?
7. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
8. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
9. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
10. When does Truitt realize he is being poisoned and what does he do about it?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)