|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph has a profound fear of?
(a) Being looked at.
(c) Being touched.
(d) Other people.
2. What is a doctor's diagnosis of Ralph's condition?
(b) Cystic Fibrosis.
3. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
(a) A carriage.
(c) Silk fabric.
4. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
5. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
2. What is the only regret Ralph has as he faces death?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
4. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
5. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
2. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
3. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
4. How can the phrase, "Such things happened" be interpreted as it relates to Alice's dismal life?
5. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
6. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
7. Why does Truitt allow Catherine to poison him?
8. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
9. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
10. What does Truitt do regarding his business as his health rapidly deteriorates?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)