|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food was shipped in to the farm from Chicago because Ralph craved it?
2. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
(c) Drug dens.
3. Which of the following is NOT something Antonio acquires while living at the Italian house?
(a) An Arabian horse.
(b) A woman.
(c) A car.
(d) French Impressionist paintings.
4. What does Mrs. Larsen represent for Ralph?
(d) A mother figure.
5. How did Catherine earn money to take care of herself and Alice?
(a) She prostituted herself.
(b) She sewed.
(c) She cleaned houses.
(d) She cooked in a restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
2. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
3. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
4. Why does Ralph value Mrs. Larsen so much?
5. Who is the sister Catherine searches for while in St. Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine do to show that she is no longer trying to poison Truitt and is going to help him heal?
2. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
3. Who is Violet Alverson and how does Antonio cavalierly destroy her?
4. What is the link between poison and passion for Truitt at this point in his life?
5. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
6. What do Truitt's open arms toward Antonio symbolize for Truitt and the other characters?
7. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine doesn't carry through on her promise to kill Truitt?
8. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
9. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
10. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)