|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
(a) Dance on his grave.
(b) Live in the Italian house.
(c) Marry Catherine.
(d) Move to Europe.
2. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
(a) A chef.
(b) A dressmaker.
(c) A hairstylist.
(d) A gardener.
3. Antonio tells Catherine that Ralph's rage was assuaged only by drugs and _______________.
4. The Italian house is a metaphor for what?
5. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
(a) He killed Francesca.
(b) He knows what she is doing.
(c) He wants a divorce.
(d) He has changed his mind about Antonio.
6. Ralph tells Catherine that Antonio reminds him of whom?
7. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
(a) Giving him an apology.
(b) Coming to get him himself.
(c) Wiring him some money.
(d) Being dead.
8. How does Ralph know that the arsenic poisoning in his body is getting worse?
(a) He loses his hearing.
(b) He is cold all the time.
(c) He can't taste anything.
(d) He is blind.
9. What is the only regret Ralph has as he faces death?
(a) Building the Italian house.
(b) Marrying Catherine.
(c) Not reconciling with Antonio.
(d) Marrying Emilia.
10. How did Catherine earn money to take care of herself and Alice?
(a) She prostituted herself.
(b) She cleaned houses.
(c) She cooked in a restaurant.
(d) She sewed.
11. Who arrives at the Truitt house one night?
12. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
(a) She cannot persuade him to come home.
(b) She doesn't think he is Ralph's son.
(c) She wants to meet with him alone.
(d) She needs more time to observe him.
13. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
(c) Drug dens.
14. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
(b) His business.
(d) Community service.
15. When did Antonio have sex with Catherine's sister?
(b) Years ago.
(c) When Catherine was in Wisconsin.
(d) A few months ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Chicago, Catherine gets items to treat Ralph from whom?
2. What does Mrs. Larsen represent for Ralph?
3. How old was Alice when she was kept by a forty-year-old man?
4. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
5. How old was Catherine when her mother died?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)