|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Catherine visit when she goes to Chicago?
2. How did Catherine's father die?
(b) Gunshot wound.
(c) Heart attack.
3. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
4. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
5. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
(a) Her fur coat.
(b) A hotel room key.
(c) Some food.
(d) An address.
6. How does Ralph know that the arsenic poisoning in his body is getting worse?
(a) He is cold all the time.
(b) He can't taste anything.
(c) He loses his hearing.
(d) He is blind.
7. What does Catherine see descend toward Alice?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A feather.
(c) An angel.
(d) A bird.
8. What does Catherine realize about her own health when she is in Chicago?
(a) She is being poisoned too.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is sick with migraines.
(d) She has malaria.
9. When Ralph was a young man, he used arsenic as an aphrodisiac in ___________________.
10. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
(a) It is very rumpled.
(b) It is old and faded.
(c) It is hardly used.
(d) It is always soiled.
11. Who was Catherine's lover whom she caught in bed with twelve-year-old Alice?
(a) Uncle Sammie.
(b) Uncle Chip.
(c) Uncle Sid.
(d) Uncle Skip.
12. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph has a profound fear of?
(a) Other people.
(b) Being looked at.
(c) Being touched.
13. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
(a) He can't stand to be touched.
(b) He bleeds from his ears.
(c) He develops deep blisters.
(d) He has horrific nightmares.
14. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
(a) She cannot persuade him to come home.
(b) She needs more time to observe him.
(c) She wants to meet with him alone.
(d) She doesn't think he is Ralph's son.
15. What is Antonio's demeanor in the Italian house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
2. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
3. How did Catherine earn money to take care of herself and Alice?
4. What does Mrs. Larsen represent for Ralph?
5. Where did Catherine move when she no longer had Alice in her life?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)