|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ralph look for while Catherine is bathing?
(b) The arsenic.
(c) A journal.
(d) Some letters.
2. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
(a) He is pensive.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is outraged.
(d) He doesn't care.
3. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
4. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
(a) Silk fabric.
(b) A carriage.
5. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
(a) She doesn't think he is Ralph's son.
(b) She wants to meet with him alone.
(c) She needs more time to observe him.
(d) She cannot persuade him to come home.
6. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
(a) Diamond earrings.
(b) The jewels she had lost on the road.
(c) A new piano.
(d) A fur coat.
7. What was the only thing Emilia took with her when she left Ralph?
(a) Her wedding ring.
(b) The dress she was wearing.
(c) A safe deposit box.
(d) Her pearl necklace.
8. Antonio tells Catherine that Ralph's rage was assuaged only by drugs and _______________.
9. When did Antonio have sex with Catherine's sister?
(a) A few months ago.
(c) When Catherine was in Wisconsin.
(d) Years ago.
10. How did Catherine earn money to take care of herself and Alice?
(a) She cooked in a restaurant.
(b) She prostituted herself.
(c) She sewed.
(d) She cleaned houses.
11. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
(a) Such things happen.
(b) Don't think about it now.
(c) It is what it is.
(d) If only she had known.
12. What does Ralph have built in the Italian house as a wedding gift to Catherine?
(a) A library.
(b) Modern bathrooms.
(c) A safe.
(d) A fountain.
13. Ralph tells Catherine that Antonio reminds him of whom?
14. Who arrives at the Truitt house one night?
15. How does Ralph know he is being poisoned?
(a) He finds the little blue bottle of arsenic.
(b) He tastes it in his food.
(c) He tastes it in the water.
(d) He is dizzy all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
2. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
3. What is one of Ralph's bedtime rituals?
4. Who is the sister Catherine searches for while in St. Louis?
5. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)