|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at the Truitt house one night?
2. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He doesn't care.
(c) He is pensive.
(d) He is outraged.
3. Why does Ralph value Mrs. Larsen so much?
(a) She is frugal.
(b) She provides comforts for him.
(c) She makes the best apple pies.
(d) She sings while she works.
4. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
(a) Such things happen.
(b) If only she had known.
(c) It is what it is.
(d) Don't think about it now.
5. What does Catherine realize about her own health when she is in Chicago?
(a) She is being poisoned too.
(b) She has malaria.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is sick with migraines.
6. What food was shipped in to the farm from Chicago because Ralph craved it?
7. Which of the following is NOT something Antonio acquires while living at the Italian house?
(a) A car.
(b) An Arabian horse.
(c) A woman.
(d) French Impressionist paintings.
8. Where does Catherine spend a lot of time while in St. Louis?
(a) The Orpheus Theater.
(b) Bonwit & Teller Department Store.
(c) La Belle Grande Hair Salon.
(d) The Missouri Botanical Garden.
9. What does Ralph ask Catherine if she will do for him?
(a) Redecorate the house.
(b) Host a party.
(c) Have a child.
(d) Fire the Larsens.
10. Where did Emilia go after she left Ralph all those years ago?
11. How does Ralph know that the arsenic poisoning in his body is getting worse?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He can't taste anything.
(c) He is cold all the time.
(d) He loses his hearing.
12. What does Mrs. Larsen represent for Ralph?
(a) A mother figure.
13. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
(a) Giving him an apology.
(b) Coming to get him himself.
(c) Wiring him some money.
(d) Being dead.
14. What does Catherine see descend toward Alice?
(a) An angel.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A feather.
15. What are Catherine's thoughts after Antonio says he doesn't want to hear from her until Ralph is dead?
(a) She decides to move to Baltimore.
(b) She thinks about killing herself.
(c) She thinks about telling Ralph the truth.
(d) She decides to kill Antonio.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Catherine stay in bed and cry after she realizes that Alice can't be saved?
2. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
3. The Italian house is a metaphor for what?
4. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine will not kill Ralph?
5. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)