|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname do old people give to arsenic?
(a) Liquid death.
(b) The bitter end.
(c) Nectar of Satan.
(d) Inheritance powder.
2. Where did Emilia go after she left Ralph all those years ago?
3. What does Ralph have built in the Italian house as a wedding gift to Catherine?
(a) A safe.
(b) A library.
(c) Modern bathrooms.
(d) A fountain.
4. How did Catherine earn money to take care of herself and Alice?
(a) She cleaned houses.
(b) She prostituted herself.
(c) She sewed.
(d) She cooked in a restaurant.
5. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
(a) Victoria Anderson.
(b) Violet Alverson.
(c) Veronica Adams.
(d) Vernie Allen.
6. The Italian house is a metaphor for what?
7. Antonio tells Catherine that he had watched Ralph kill __________________.
8. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
(a) He takes her to dinner.
(b) He sends a note with a bouquet.
(c) He sends a letter.
(d) He just moves away.
9. What does Catherine realize about her own health when she is in Chicago?
(a) She is being poisoned too.
(b) She is sick with migraines.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has malaria.
10. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
(a) Some food.
(b) Her fur coat.
(c) A hotel room key.
(d) An address.
11. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
12. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is pensive.
(c) He doesn't care.
(d) He is outraged.
13. What was the only thing Emilia took with her when she left Ralph?
(a) Her pearl necklace.
(b) A safe deposit box.
(c) The dress she was wearing.
(d) Her wedding ring.
14. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
(a) A carriage.
(b) Silk fabric.
15. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
(a) A hairstylist.
(b) A dressmaker.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A chef.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ralph deed the farmhouse?
2. What food was shipped in to the farm from Chicago because Ralph craved it?
3. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio again?
4. How does Ralph know he is being poisoned?
5. What joy did Catherine discover in the city in #113?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)