|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
(a) Wiring him some money.
(b) Being dead.
(c) Giving him an apology.
(d) Coming to get him himself.
2. What does Ralph look for while Catherine is bathing?
(a) Some letters.
(c) A journal.
(d) The arsenic.
3. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph had meant to be in his life?
(b) Art collector.
4. Catherine spends her nights with Antonio and her days _________________________.
(a) Getting her hair styled.
(b) Going to matinees.
(c) Shopping for clothes.
(d) Sleeping at her hotel.
5. How old was Catherine when her mother died?
6. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
(a) Makes love to another woman.
(b) Drinks brandy.
(c) Plays the piano.
(d) Sobs in his bed.
7. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
(a) A carriage.
(d) Silk fabric.
8. How old was Antonio when Ralph killed the person in #96?
9. To whom does Ralph deed the farmhouse?
(a) The Larsens.
10. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
(a) A chef.
(b) A gardener.
(c) A dressmaker.
(d) A hairstylist.
11. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
(a) A hotel room key.
(b) Her fur coat.
(c) Some food.
(d) An address.
12. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
(a) It is always soiled.
(b) It is old and faded.
(c) It is hardly used.
(d) It is very rumpled.
13. What does Ralph have built in the Italian house as a wedding gift to Catherine?
(a) A safe.
(b) Modern bathrooms.
(c) A library.
(d) A fountain.
14. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
(a) Don't think about it now.
(b) It is what it is.
(c) Such things happen.
(d) If only she had known.
15. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine spend a lot of time while in St. Louis?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph has a profound fear of?
3. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
4. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
5. What is the only regret Ralph has as he faces death?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)