|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Catherine proceed with her plan to kill Ralph even though she loves him now?
(a) She wants his money more than his love.
(b) She is afraid that Antonio will expose her.
(c) She is still in love with Antonio.
(d) She lied when she said she loved him.
2. Which of the following is NOT a food Antonio indulges in on a regular basis?
3. Antonio tells Catherine that Ralph's rage was assuaged only by drugs and _______________.
4. Who does Catherine visit when she goes to Chicago?
5. What is the message of the telegram that Catherine sends to Antonio?
(a) Joyful end.
(c) Come at once.
(d) It is over.
6. What is Antonio's demeanor in the Italian house?
7. To whom does Ralph deed the farmhouse?
(c) The Larsens.
8. How old was Alice when she was kept by a forty-year-old man?
9. When did Antonio have sex with Catherine's sister?
(a) When Catherine was in Wisconsin.
(b) Years ago.
(c) A few months ago.
10. Where did Emilia go after she left Ralph all those years ago?
11. What does Antonio threaten to do if Catherine will not kill Ralph?
(a) Kill Ralph himself.
(b) Tell Ralph about having sex with Catherine.
(c) Track her down and kill her.
(d) Kill himself.
12. What is the only regret Ralph has as he faces death?
(a) Not reconciling with Antonio.
(b) Marrying Catherine.
(c) Marrying Emilia.
(d) Building the Italian house.
13. How old was Catherine when her mother died?
14. How does Ralph feel when he realizes that he is being poisoned?
(a) He is outraged.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is pensive.
(d) He doesn't care.
15. What does Catherine write to Ralph about regarding Antonio?
(a) She doesn't think he is Ralph's son.
(b) She wants to meet with him alone.
(c) She needs more time to observe him.
(d) She cannot persuade him to come home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Antonio acquires while living at the Italian house?
3. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
4. What does Catherine do with the arsenic?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)