|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine visits beer parlors and _________________ with Antonio.
(b) Drug dens.
2. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
(a) A dressmaker.
(b) A gardener.
(c) A hairstylist.
(d) A chef.
3. How does Ralph know that the arsenic poisoning in his body is getting worse?
(a) He is cold all the time.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He loses his hearing.
(d) He can't taste anything.
4. When Ralph was a young man, he used arsenic as an aphrodisiac in ___________________.
5. What joy did Catherine discover in the city in #113?
(a) The park.
(d) The library.
6. Who does Catherine visit when she goes to Chicago?
7. Who was Catherine's lover whom she caught in bed with twelve-year-old Alice?
(a) Uncle Sammie.
(b) Uncle Skip.
(c) Uncle Sid.
(d) Uncle Chip.
8. What does Antonio do during Violet's funeral?
(a) Makes love to another woman.
(b) Plays the piano.
(c) Sobs in his bed.
(d) Drinks brandy.
9. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
(a) The jewels she had lost on the road.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) Diamond earrings.
(d) A new piano.
10. Where did Catherine and Alice live after their father died?
(a) A great-aunt's home.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A foster family.
(d) The poorhouse.
11. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph had meant to be in his life?
(b) Art collector.
12. Antonio says that the only way Ralph will mean anything to him is _____________________.
(a) Giving him an apology.
(b) Being dead.
(c) Coming to get him himself.
(d) Wiring him some money.
13. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
(b) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
14. What is a doctor's diagnosis of Ralph's condition?
(a) Cystic Fibrosis.
15. Antonio tells Catherine that Ralph's rage was assuaged only by drugs and _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the Truitt house one night?
2. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
3. What does Mrs. Larsen represent for Ralph?
4. What was the only thing Emilia took with her when she left Ralph?
5. How did Catherine earn money to take care of herself and Alice?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)