|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine writes to ask Ralph if she may purchase ____________________.
(c) Silk fabric.
(d) A carriage.
2. What does Catherine do with the arsenic?
(a) She flushes it in a commode.
(b) She pours it down a drain.
(c) She throws it in a pond.
(d) She empties it in the woods.
3. What is the only regret Ralph has as he faces death?
(a) Marrying Emilia.
(b) Building the Italian house.
(c) Not reconciling with Antonio.
(d) Marrying Catherine.
4. Who does Catherine visit when she goes to Chicago?
5. Why is Ralph embarrassed to have Mrs. Larsen change his bedding?
(a) It is hardly used.
(b) It is always soiled.
(c) It is very rumpled.
(d) It is old and faded.
6. How long does Catherine wait before going to see Antonio again?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 12 hours.
7. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
(a) A hairstylist.
(b) A dressmaker.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A chef.
8. Where do Catherine and Alice live when they leave Philadelphia?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
9. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
(a) He develops deep blisters.
(b) He can't stand to be touched.
(c) He bleeds from his ears.
(d) He has horrific nightmares.
10. What food was shipped in to the farm from Chicago because Ralph craved it?
11. How old was Catherine when she became the mistress of a married man?
12. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
(a) He knows what she is doing.
(b) He has changed his mind about Antonio.
(c) He wants a divorce.
(d) He killed Francesca.
13. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
(a) Such things happen.
(b) Don't think about it now.
(c) It is what it is.
(d) If only she had known.
14. Where did Catherine and Alice live after their father died?
(a) A great-aunt's home.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A foster family.
(d) The poorhouse.
15. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph suggests that Antonio go to ___________________ to play.
2. Where does Catherine spend a lot of time while in St. Louis?
3. Who arrives at the Truitt house one night?
4. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
5. Antonio tells Catherine that all he wants is to have Ralph dead and to ______________________.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)