|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the sister Catherine searches for while in St. Louis?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph has a profound fear of?
(a) Being touched.
(c) Being looked at.
(d) Other people.
3. Catherine leaves Alice some money and _____________________.
(a) An address.
(b) Her fur coat.
(c) A hotel room key.
(d) Some food.
4. Which of the following is NOT how Catherine describes Ralph to Antonio?
5. Where did Catherine move when she no longer had Alice in her life?
6. Who does Catherine hire in Chicago to work in the Italian house?
(a) A chef.
(b) A hairstylist.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A dressmaker.
7. What is the motif that is repeated throughout the story?
(a) Don't think about it now.
(b) It is what it is.
(c) Such things happen.
(d) If only she had known.
8. In what does Ralph try to interest Antonio?
(b) Community service.
(c) His business.
9. How does Antonio break up with Violet?
(a) He takes her to dinner.
(b) He sends a letter.
(c) He sends a note with a bouquet.
(d) He just moves away.
10. What are Catherine's thoughts after Antonio says he doesn't want to hear from her until Ralph is dead?
(a) She thinks about telling Ralph the truth.
(b) She thinks about killing herself.
(c) She decides to kill Antonio.
(d) She decides to move to Baltimore.
11. What is Antonio's demeanor in the Italian house?
12. What does Ralph look for while Catherine is bathing?
(a) Some letters.
(b) A journal.
(c) The arsenic.
13. Where did Catherine and Alice move after Catherine had saved a little bit of money?
14. Where did Catherine and Alice live after their father died?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A foster family.
(c) A great-aunt's home.
(d) The poorhouse.
15. Who is the young widow with whom Antonio gets involved?
(a) Veronica Adams.
(b) Vernie Allen.
(c) Victoria Anderson.
(d) Violet Alverson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralph bring home to surprise Catherine one night?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Ralph exhibits as the poisoning worsens?
3. Which of the following is NOT a food Antonio indulges in on a regular basis?
4. Why does Ralph value Mrs. Larsen so much?
5. What does Ralph admit to Catherine one night?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)