|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
(a) Patient and kind.
(b) Insane and frantic.
(c) Docile and shy.
(d) Religiously domineering.
2. Where have detectives found Antonio after he has been gone for years?
(b) St. Louis.
3. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
(a) She packs it neatly in her trunk.
(b) She gives it away.
(c) She leaves it under the train seat.
(d) She throwS it out the train window.
4. Catherine notes that there are no _________________ in Ralph's house.
5. What does Antonio eat every night at the restaurant?
(a) Prime rib.
(d) Crab salad.
6. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
(a) He walks him.
(b) He yells at him.
(c) He splashes cold water on him.
(d) He slaps him.
7. How did Ralph's daughter die?
(a) She had influenza.
(b) She had leukemia.
(c) She had heart disease.
(d) She drowned.
8. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
(a) He gropes her.
(b) He buys her things.
(c) He sings to her.
(d) He writes poetry.
9. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(a) A letter.
(c) A photograph.
10. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
11. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
(a) Past lovers.
(d) Her mother.
12. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
13. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His first wife.
14. The diamond ring that Ralph gave Catherine looked like which type of flower?
15. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
(a) A shipment of furniture.
(b) His mail order bride.
(c) A shipment of boots.
(d) His son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ralph go away to college?
2. What is Catherine's state of mind as she waits for Ralph to get better?
3. Which of the following is NOT something that now shows on Ralph's face?
4. Who are the Pinkerton agents with whom Catherine meets?
5. Who was Ralph's brother?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)