|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ralph's mother do to show him how much hell can hurt?
(a) Made him stand shoeless in the snow for an hour.
(b) Refused to feed him for two days.
(c) Burned him with a candle.
(d) Stuck a needle through his hand.
2. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
(a) Murderous thoughts.
(c) Suicidal thoughts.
(d) Lustful thoughts.
3. What name does Antonio go by in St. Louis?
(a) Adam Trask.
(b) Tony Moretti.
(c) Andy Trask.
(d) Tony Truitt.
4. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
(a) Attending law school.
(b) Teaching school.
(c) Playing piano in a whorehouse.
(d) Modeling in an art studio.
5. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
6. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
7. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
(a) Mrs. Larsen will hurt her.
(b) He will kill himself.
(c) He will go mad.
(d) He will kill her.
8. Ralph is obsessed with __________________.
9. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
(a) He walks him.
(b) He slaps him.
(c) He splashes cold water on him.
(d) He yells at him.
10. Who are the servants at Ralph's house?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Svenson.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Larsen.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Gleason.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Borg.
11. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
(a) Docile and shy.
(b) Patient and kind.
(c) Religiously domineering.
(d) Insane and frantic.
12. What happens to Catherine in the carriage accident?
(a) She breaks a leg.
(b) The hem of her dress is torn.
(c) She sprains an ankle.
(d) Her hat is blown away.
13. Ralph's mother told him that he was born ____________________.
(d) Too soon.
14. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
(a) She wants him to come to her room.
(b) She wants to observe him at dinner.
(c) She wants to go to where he works.
(d) She wants to go to his hotel room.
15. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
(a) She is not the woman in the photo she had sent him.
(b) She is much taller than he expected.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has red hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
2. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
3. How many years ago did Ralph lose his wife?
4. What did Ralph do after college?
5. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)