|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
(a) A mother for his children.
(b) A business partner.
(c) A reliable wife.
(d) An adventurer.
2. What is Catherine's state of mind as she waits for Ralph to get better?
3. What does Ralph tell Catherine before he collapses in the carriage?
(a) He is thankful she is with him.
(b) The horses know the way home.
(c) He is sorry for upsetting her.
(d) The doctor has an office in town.
4. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
(a) A sculptor.
(c) A piano teacher.
(d) A ranch hand.
5. What are Ralph's new plans for Catherine?
(a) He will make her his new business partner.
(b) He will get rid of her in a couple of days.
(c) He will build a new house for her.
(d) He will take her to California with him.
6. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
7. Which of the following is NOT something that now shows on Ralph's face?
8. Catherine fabricates a story about her father being a/an _____________________.
9. What is Catherine's last name?
10. What question does Antonio ask Catherine when he stops at her table?
(a) If she will have dinner with him.
(b) If she liked his music.
(c) If she is in mourning.
(d) If she would go to the opera with him.
11. How did Catherine learn how to make poison?
(a) A former lover taught her.
(b) She studied pharmacology.
(c) Her father was a chemist.
(d) She studied books.
12. Catherine says that she learned how to stitch wounds by __________________________.
(a) Learning from her mother.
(b) Watching her physician father.
(c) Going to medical school.
(d) Trial and error.
13. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
(a) She is much taller than he expected.
(b) She has red hair.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is not the woman in the photo she had sent him.
14. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
(a) Suicidal thoughts.
(b) Lustful thoughts.
(c) Murderous thoughts.
15. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
(a) He slaps him.
(b) He splashes cold water on him.
(c) He yells at him.
(d) He walks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ralph's condition when they arrive home?
2. Who is Catherine?
3. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
4. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
5. What does Catherine constantly imagine herself doing?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)