|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralph's mail order bride claimed that she was looking for ____________________.
(a) A home.
2. What does Antonio eat every night at the restaurant?
(b) Prime rib.
(d) Crab salad.
3. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
(a) She packs it neatly in her trunk.
(b) She throwS it out the train window.
(c) She leaves it under the train seat.
(d) She gives it away.
4. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
(a) He will go mad.
(b) He will kill himself.
(c) He will kill her.
(d) Mrs. Larsen will hurt her.
5. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
(a) A sculptor.
(b) A piano teacher.
(c) A ranch hand.
6. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
7. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
8. What does Catherine constantly imagine herself doing?
9. How did Ralph's daughter die?
(a) She had heart disease.
(b) She drowned.
(c) She had leukemia.
(d) She had influenza.
10. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
(a) He thinks she is beautiful.
(b) She intrigues him.
(c) He is too lonesome and desperate.
(d) She saved his life.
11. What happens to Catherine in the carriage accident?
(a) She breaks a leg.
(b) She sprains an ankle.
(c) The hem of her dress is torn.
(d) Her hat is blown away.
12. Where have detectives found Antonio after he has been gone for years?
(b) St. Louis.
13. What does Catherine notice as she and Ralph drive toward his house?
(a) The children playing.
(b) The isolation.
(c) The beautiful trees.
(d) The destruction.
14. What does Antonio say is his mother's name?
15. The photograph sent to Ralph from his new bride shows a woman who appears to be ____________________.
(a) Sweetly pleasant.
(b) Stunningly beautiful.
(c) Very voluptuous.
(d) Quite plain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph is obsessed with __________________.
2. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
3. Who tends to Ralph during his illness?
4. Who are the Pinkerton agents with whom Catherine meets?
5. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)