|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine says that she learned how to stitch wounds by __________________________.
(a) Watching her physician father.
(b) Learning from her mother.
(c) Going to medical school.
(d) Trial and error.
2. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
(a) A shipment of furniture.
(b) A shipment of boots.
(c) His mail order bride.
(d) His son.
3. What color is the small bottle that Catherine pays attention to while unpacking?
4. Who was Emilia's second child?
5. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
6. When confronted by Catherine and the private detectives, what does Antonio say his name is?
(a) Paul Sabatino.
(b) Pietro Moretti.
(c) Pieter Moreno.
(d) Tony Ragucci.
7. What does Catherine pay particular attention to as she unpacks?
(a) A small bottle.
(b) A brooch.
(c) Her cosmetics.
(d) Her hats.
8. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
(a) She wants to go to his hotel room.
(b) She wants to observe him at dinner.
(c) She wants to go to where he works.
(d) She wants him to come to her room.
9. In what year does the novel begin?
10. What are Ralph's new plans for Catherine?
(a) He will make her his new business partner.
(b) He will build a new house for her.
(c) He will get rid of her in a couple of days.
(d) He will take her to California with him.
11. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
(a) A piano teacher.
(c) A sculptor.
(d) A ranch hand.
12. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His first wife.
13. Where are Ralph and Catherine married?
(a) At the courthouse.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) At Ralph's house.
(d) In a church.
14. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
(a) A rock.
(b) A wheel.
(c) A fence post.
(d) The road.
15. Who are the servants at Ralph's house?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Larsen.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Gleason.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Borg.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Svenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonio says his true family is in what type of business?
2. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
3. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
4. What does Antonio eat every night at the restaurant?
5. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)