|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. What question does Antonio ask Catherine when he stops at her table?
(a) If she would go to the opera with him.
(b) If she is in mourning.
(c) If she will have dinner with him.
(d) If she liked his music.
3. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
(a) Mrs. Larsen will hurt her.
(b) He will kill himself.
(c) He will go mad.
(d) He will kill her.
4. What does Antonio eat every night at the restaurant?
(c) Crab salad.
(d) Prime rib.
5. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
6. Catherine says that she learned how to stitch wounds by __________________________.
(a) Learning from her mother.
(b) Watching her physician father.
(c) Going to medical school.
(d) Trial and error.
7. What is Catherine's state of mind as she waits for Ralph to get better?
8. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
(a) Insane and frantic.
(b) Religiously domineering.
(c) Docile and shy.
(d) Patient and kind.
9. What does Catherine do as she rides in the train on the way to her destination?
(a) She embroiders a doily.
(b) She stares at herself in a mirror.
(c) She takes a nap.
(d) She reads a book.
10. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
(a) His brother.
(b) His first wife.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
11. Catherine fabricates a story about her father being a/an _____________________.
12. The diamond ring that Ralph gave Catherine looked like which type of flower?
13. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
(a) A rock.
(b) The road.
(c) A wheel.
(d) A fence post.
14. Ralph is aware that his relationship with Catherine is beginning with __________________.
(a) No attraction.
(b) A lie.
(c) A contract.
(d) Sexual attraction.
15. What is the hotel where Catherine stays in St. Louis?
(a) Riverboat Queen.
(b) The Embassy.
(c) The James Hotel.
(d) Planter's Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine notice as she and Ralph drive toward his house?
2. What did Ralph's mother do to show him how much hell can hurt?
3. What startles the horses of Ralph's carriage?
4. Where have detectives found Antonio after he has been gone for years?
5. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)