|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Ralph and Catherine married?
(a) At Ralph's house.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) At the courthouse.
(d) In a church.
2. What question does Antonio ask Catherine when he stops at her table?
(a) If she will have dinner with him.
(b) If she would go to the opera with him.
(c) If she liked his music.
(d) If she is in mourning.
3. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
(a) Insane and frantic.
(b) Religiously domineering.
(c) Docile and shy.
(d) Patient and kind.
4. Which of the following is NOT something that now shows on Ralph's face?
5. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
6. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
(a) Playing piano in a whorehouse.
(b) Teaching school.
(c) Modeling in an art studio.
(d) Attending law school.
7. Who was Ralph's brother?
8. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(c) A photograph.
(d) A letter.
9. What does Catherine constantly imagine herself doing?
10. When confronted by Catherine and the private detectives, what does Antonio say his name is?
(a) Pietro Moretti.
(b) Paul Sabatino.
(c) Pieter Moreno.
(d) Tony Ragucci.
11. What did Ralph do after college?
(a) Studied law.
(b) Returned home.
(c) Toured Europe.
(d) Got married.
12. How did Ralph's daughter die?
(a) She had influenza.
(b) She had heart disease.
(c) She drowned.
(d) She had leukemia.
13. Who are the Pinkerton agents with whom Catherine meets?
(a) Mallory and Fenton.
(b) Malloy and Fewsmith.
(c) Morton and Fisk.
(d) Malloy and Fisk.
14. What does Catherine do on New Year's Day?
(a) Polishes the silver.
(b) Sleeps until noon.
(c) Boards a train to St. Louis.
(d) Hosts a brunch.
15. What is Ralph's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. The photograph sent to Ralph from his new bride shows a woman who appears to be ____________________.
2. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
3. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. In what state does the novel take place?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)