|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
(a) She gives it away.
(b) She packs it neatly in her trunk.
(c) She throwS it out the train window.
(d) She leaves it under the train seat.
2. Why did Ralph's father send him a large amount of money in Italy?
(a) To give to the Catholic Church.
(b) To buy paintings.
(c) To give to Emilia's family.
(d) To buy a new carriage.
3. What is Catherine's state of mind as she waits for Ralph to get better?
4. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
5. What does Catherine lose in the carriage accident?
(a) Her gloves.
(b) Her suitcase.
(c) Her hat.
(d) Her jewelry.
6. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
(a) His mail order bride.
(b) A shipment of boots.
(c) His son.
(d) A shipment of furniture.
7. What are Ralph's new plans for Catherine?
(a) He will make her his new business partner.
(b) He will take her to California with him.
(c) He will get rid of her in a couple of days.
(d) He will build a new house for her.
8. Where are Ralph and Catherine married?
(a) At Ralph's house.
(b) At the courthouse.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a meadow.
9. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
(a) A stickpin.
(b) A ring.
(c) A coin purse.
(d) His hat.
10. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
(a) She wants to go to his hotel room.
(b) She wants to go to where he works.
(c) She wants to observe him at dinner.
(d) She wants him to come to her room.
11. What does Ralph tell Catherine before he collapses in the carriage?
(a) The horses know the way home.
(b) The doctor has an office in town.
(c) He is sorry for upsetting her.
(d) He is thankful she is with him.
12. Ralph is aware that his relationship with Catherine is beginning with __________________.
(a) Sexual attraction.
(b) A lie.
(c) No attraction.
(d) A contract.
13. What is Catherine's last name?
14. Why do the private investigators advise Catherine to not pursue Antonio any longer?
(a) They are not sure he is the right person.
(b) He is no good.
(c) Ralph has called off the search.
(d) She will only get hurt.
15. What does Catherine do as she rides in the train on the way to her destination?
(a) She takes a nap.
(b) She reads a book.
(c) She embroiders a doily.
(d) She stares at herself in a mirror.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ralph's daughter die?
2. Ralph's mother told him that he was born ____________________.
3. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
4. Who tends to Ralph during his illness?
5. What does Catherine pay particular attention to as she unpacks?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)