|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
2. What makes Ralph anxious as he waits for the train?
(a) There is a thunderstorm moving in.
(b) The train is late.
(c) He is feeling nauseous.
(d) People are firing questions at him.
3. What name does Antonio go by in St. Louis?
(a) Tony Moretti.
(b) Tony Truitt.
(c) Adam Trask.
(d) Andy Trask.
4. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
(a) The ditch.
(b) The next town.
(c) The woods.
(d) A frozen river.
5. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
(a) It will be more difficult if there is a son in the picture.
(b) Her conscience is starting to bother her.
(c) She has fallen in love with him.
(d) She could not bear being imprisoned if caught.
6. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
(a) He plays piano.
(b) He drinks some brandy.
(c) He reads a book.
(d) He smokes a cigar.
7. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
(a) He is too lonesome and desperate.
(b) He thinks she is beautiful.
(c) She intrigues him.
(d) She saved his life.
8. What does Catherine like about St. Louis?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The excitement.
(c) The cuisine.
(d) The architecture.
9. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
(a) A ranch hand.
(b) A piano teacher.
(c) A sculptor.
10. In what state does the novel take place?
11. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
12. What color is the small bottle that Catherine pays attention to while unpacking?
13. What question does Antonio ask Catherine when he stops at her table?
(a) If she is in mourning.
(b) If she would go to the opera with him.
(c) If she liked his music.
(d) If she will have dinner with him.
14. What does Catherine do on New Year's Day?
(a) Boards a train to St. Louis.
(b) Hosts a brunch.
(c) Sleeps until noon.
(d) Polishes the silver.
15. What is Ralph's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
2. What does Catherine constantly imagine herself doing?
3. How did Catherine learn how to make poison?
4. Antonio says that his real family lives in what city?
5. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)