|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ralph go away to college?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
2. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
(a) A shipment of boots.
(b) His son.
(c) A shipment of furniture.
(d) His mail order bride.
3. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
4. What topic does Catherine research in the library in St. Louis?
(c) Gourmet cuisine.
(d) Italian secret gardens.
5. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
(a) Attending law school.
(b) Teaching school.
(c) Modeling in an art studio.
(d) Playing piano in a whorehouse.
6. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
(a) He is too lonesome and desperate.
(b) She intrigues him.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) She saved his life.
7. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
(a) Run away with a young lover.
(b) Travel the world.
(c) Stay with him until he dies.
(d) Open a hospital.
8. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
(a) A rock.
(b) A wheel.
(c) The road.
(d) A fence post.
9. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
(a) It will be more difficult if there is a son in the picture.
(b) She has fallen in love with him.
(c) Her conscience is starting to bother her.
(d) She could not bear being imprisoned if caught.
10. Ralph's mother told him that he was born ____________________.
(a) Too soon.
11. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
(a) He will kill himself.
(b) He will go mad.
(c) He will kill her.
(d) Mrs. Larsen will hurt her.
12. What did Ralph's mother do to show him how much hell can hurt?
(a) Stuck a needle through his hand.
(b) Burned him with a candle.
(c) Made him stand shoeless in the snow for an hour.
(d) Refused to feed him for two days.
13. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Past lovers.
14. How did Ralph's daughter die?
(a) She had influenza.
(b) She had heart disease.
(c) She drowned.
(d) She had leukemia.
15. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
(a) She throwS it out the train window.
(b) She leaves it under the train seat.
(c) She gives it away.
(d) She packs it neatly in her trunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph is obsessed with __________________.
2. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
3. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
4. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
5. Catherine realized a while ago that she cannot live without love or ____________________.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)