|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
(a) It will be more difficult if there is a son in the picture.
(b) Her conscience is starting to bother her.
(c) She could not bear being imprisoned if caught.
(d) She has fallen in love with him.
2. What is the hotel where Catherine stays in St. Louis?
(a) The Embassy.
(b) The James Hotel.
(c) Riverboat Queen.
(d) Planter's Hotel.
3. Catherine has studied which language?
4. Catherine notes that there are no _________________ in Ralph's house.
5. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(b) A letter.
(d) A photograph.
6. Where are Ralph and Catherine married?
(a) At the courthouse.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) In a church.
(d) At Ralph's house.
7. What topic does Catherine research in the library in St. Louis?
(a) Italian secret gardens.
(b) Gourmet cuisine.
8. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
(a) A reliable wife.
(b) A mother for his children.
(c) An adventurer.
(d) A business partner.
9. What is Catherine's state of mind as she waits for Ralph to get better?
10. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
(a) He gropes her.
(b) He writes poetry.
(c) He buys her things.
(d) He sings to her.
11. What does Antonio eat every night at the restaurant?
(a) Prime rib.
(c) Crab salad.
12. What does Catherine lose in the carriage accident?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her hat.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) Her suitcase.
13. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
(a) He splashes cold water on him.
(b) He yells at him.
(c) He walks him.
(d) He slaps him.
14. What does Catherine notice as she and Ralph drive toward his house?
(a) The children playing.
(b) The isolation.
(c) The beautiful trees.
(d) The destruction.
15. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
(a) A stickpin.
(b) A ring.
(c) A coin purse.
(d) His hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph is obsessed with __________________.
2. Why do the private investigators advise Catherine to not pursue Antonio any longer?
3. Who was Ralph's brother?
4. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
5. What does Ralph expect of Catherine?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)