|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does the novel take place?
2. What does Antonio eat every night at the restaurant?
(b) Prime rib.
(d) Crab salad.
3. Where did Ralph go away to college?
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
4. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
5. Where are Ralph and Catherine married?
(a) At Ralph's house.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) In a church.
(d) At the courthouse.
6. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
(a) She has red hair.
(b) She is not the woman in the photo she had sent him.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is much taller than he expected.
7. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
(a) Run away with a young lover.
(b) Stay with him until he dies.
(c) Open a hospital.
(d) Travel the world.
8. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
(a) Playing piano in a whorehouse.
(b) Teaching school.
(c) Modeling in an art studio.
(d) Attending law school.
9. What does Catherine do as she rides in the train on the way to her destination?
(a) She stares at herself in a mirror.
(b) She embroiders a doily.
(c) She reads a book.
(d) She takes a nap.
10. How did Ralph's daughter die?
(a) She had heart disease.
(b) She drowned.
(c) She had leukemia.
(d) She had influenza.
11. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
(a) He writes poetry.
(b) He gropes her.
(c) He sings to her.
(d) He buys her things.
12. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
(a) She has fallen in love with him.
(b) Her conscience is starting to bother her.
(c) She could not bear being imprisoned if caught.
(d) It will be more difficult if there is a son in the picture.
13. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
(a) Docile and shy.
(b) Religiously domineering.
(c) Insane and frantic.
(d) Patient and kind.
14. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
15. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine has studied which language?
2. What name does Antonio go by in St. Louis?
3. Ralph's mother told him that he was born ____________________.
4. What is Ralph's last name?
5. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)