|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The photograph sent to Ralph from his new bride shows a woman who appears to be ____________________.
(a) Sweetly pleasant.
(b) Very voluptuous.
(c) Stunningly beautiful.
(d) Quite plain.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
(a) A shipment of furniture.
(b) A shipment of boots.
(c) His mail order bride.
(d) His son.
4. Catherine has studied which language?
5. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
(a) He yells at him.
(b) He slaps him.
(c) He walks him.
(d) He splashes cold water on him.
6. What is Catherine's state of mind as she waits for Ralph to get better?
7. What day does Ralph choose to marry Catherine?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Thanksgiving Day.
(c) Easter Day.
(d) New Year's Day.
8. Catherine fabricates a story about her father being a/an _____________________.
9. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
(a) She leaves it under the train seat.
(b) She throwS it out the train window.
(c) She packs it neatly in her trunk.
(d) She gives it away.
10. Catherine notes that there are no _________________ in Ralph's house.
11. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
(a) It will be more difficult if there is a son in the picture.
(b) Her conscience is starting to bother her.
(c) She could not bear being imprisoned if caught.
(d) She has fallen in love with him.
12. What does Ralph expect of Catherine?
(a) That she will bear children for him.
(b) That she will leave and not return.
(c) That she will go to get his son.
(d) That she will teach him how to speak Italian.
13. What color is the small bottle that Catherine pays attention to while unpacking?
14. What topic does Catherine research in the library in St. Louis?
(b) Gourmet cuisine.
(c) Italian secret gardens.
15. Where did Ralph go away to college?
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
2. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
3. What is the hotel where Catherine stays in St. Louis?
4. The diamond ring that Ralph gave Catherine looked like which type of flower?
5. What does Catherine buy before returning to her hotel room after meeting with Antonio?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)