|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Catherine learn how to make poison?
(a) A former lover taught her.
(b) She studied books.
(c) She studied pharmacology.
(d) Her father was a chemist.
2. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
(a) She is not the woman in the photo she had sent him.
(b) She has red hair.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is much taller than he expected.
3. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
4. Where have detectives found Antonio after he has been gone for years?
(b) St. Louis.
5. What day does Ralph choose to marry Catherine?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Easter Day.
(d) Thanksgiving Day.
6. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(b) A photograph.
(c) A letter.
7. In what state does the novel take place?
8. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
(a) His hat.
(b) A ring.
(c) A stickpin.
(d) A coin purse.
9. Who was Ralph's brother?
10. What is the hotel where Catherine stays in St. Louis?
(a) The James Hotel.
(b) The Embassy.
(c) Riverboat Queen.
(d) Planter's Hotel.
11. What did Ralph do after college?
(a) Returned home.
(b) Got married.
(c) Studied law.
(d) Toured Europe.
12. Why do the private investigators advise Catherine to not pursue Antonio any longer?
(a) He is no good.
(b) Ralph has called off the search.
(c) She will only get hurt.
(d) They are not sure he is the right person.
13. What makes Ralph anxious as he waits for the train?
(a) People are firing questions at him.
(b) The train is late.
(c) There is a thunderstorm moving in.
(d) He is feeling nauseous.
14. What does Catherine like about St. Louis?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The excitement.
(c) The cuisine.
(d) The architecture.
15. What does Ralph's head hit when he is tossed from the carriage?
(a) The road.
(b) A wheel.
(c) A fence post.
(d) A rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What startles the horses of Ralph's carriage?
2. The diamond ring that Ralph gave Catherine looked like which type of flower?
3. What had Ralph done when he caught Emilia and her lover together?
4. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
5. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)