Part 1 - Wisconsin, Fall, 1907 - Chapters 1 and 2
• On a cold night in rural Wisconsin in 1907, wealthy businessman Ralph Truitt waits at a train station for his mail order bride to arrive.
• Ralph lost his wife and children twenty years ago and has tried to uphold a strong composure but the years of need and loneliness show on his face.
• Truitt is also described as being obsessed with sex and intimacy and the connection and pleasure in both.
• Truitt recalls the letter his new bride sent along with a photograph of herself which shows her to be quite plain.
• Catherine Land, Ralph's mail order bride, prepares herself in the luxurious train car he had provided for her trip.
• Catherine recalls that her beauty had always brought her attention and happiness but now she divests herself of her elegant clothes and throws them outside the train window before putting...
This section contains 2,643 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)