|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking to the person in #164, Bird realizes that he _______________________.
2. When Bird arrives at school, he learns that he has a meeting with _________________ after class.
3. What is Himiko's response when Bird tells her he thinks the baby is dead?
4. The doctor at the clinic states that the baby is developing _________________.
5. Himiko tells Bird that the name given to the baby is also the name of ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
2. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
3. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
4. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
5. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
6. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
7. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
8. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
9. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
10. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Bird's life. What is his relationship with his son? What is his relationship with his wife? Have his dreams of going to Africa been completely squelched? What is Bird's state of mind? How does Bird feel about himself now?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bird. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bird?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)