|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the establishment in #163?
2. As Bird goes to leave, Delchef gives him a book about ______________________.
3. How do Bird and the person in #164 know each other?
4. A student offers to help Bird get a job as a ________________.
5. Delchef argues with Bird about ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
2. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
3. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
4. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
5. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
6. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
7. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
8. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
9. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
10. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the internal conflict Bird feels about his life. Does he not want to be married? Does he not want a child? Does he really just want to run away to Africa and forget his responsibilities? Why did Bird engage in a relationship with his wife if he was not ready?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)