|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Bird's wife when he sees her?
2. What does the one-eyed doctor advise Bird to do?
3. Why is the name in #113 significant for Bird?
4. The content of the letter Bird received is notifying Bird of a meeting with ______________.
5. Why does Himiko drive Bird to his apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
2. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
3. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
4. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
5. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
6. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
7. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
8. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
9. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
10. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in A PERSONAL MATTER. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most Japanese families living during the 1960s?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)