|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird wants to stop ________________________.
2. How do Bird and the person in #164 know each other?
3. When Bird arrives at school, he learns that he has a meeting with _________________ after class.
4. The person in #145 suggests that Himiko and Bird ______________________.
5. What do Bird and Himiko do after Bird awakens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
2. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
3. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
4. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
5. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
6. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
7. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
8. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
9. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
10. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
There are only a few characters in the book who have names. Why does the author choose to name the characters he does? What point is the author trying to make by not giving names to the other characters? Why is it significant that the baby does not have a name until late in the story?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)