|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Himiko is visited by _______________________.
2. Himiko tells Bird that the name given to the baby is also the name of ____________________.
3. What name had Bird's wife been thinking of giving to the baby?
4. When Bird arrives at school, he learns that he has a meeting with _________________ after class.
5. What does the one-eyed doctor advise Bird to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
2. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
3. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
4. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
5. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
6. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
7. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
8. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
9. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
10. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in 1960s Japan when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)