|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the pediatrician shout at Bird?
2. Where do Bird and Himiko go after leaving the baby at the clinic?
3. Why is Himiko stopped by a police officer?
4. Where does Bird reunite with Himiko after leaving the maternity hospital?
5. When was A PERSONAL MATTER first published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
2. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
3. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
4. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
5. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
6. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
7. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
8. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
9. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
10. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Bird's life. What is his relationship with his son? What is his relationship with his wife? Have his dreams of going to Africa been completely squelched? What is Bird's state of mind? How does Bird feel about himself now?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)