|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the one-eyed doctor advise Bird to do?
2. What is the nature of the phone call that Bird answers?
3. What is Delchef's native language?
4. Delchef thinks that Bird is being ___________________ about the situation with the baby.
5. After talking to the person in #164, Bird realizes that he _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
2. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
3. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
4. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
5. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
6. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
7. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
8. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
9. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
10. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the internal conflict Bird feels about his life. Does he not want to be married? Does he not want a child? Does he really just want to run away to Africa and forget his responsibilities? Why did Bird engage in a relationship with his wife if he was not ready?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)