|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the establishment in #163?
2. What does Bird tell the doctor he wants to do with the baby?
3. The person in #145 suggests that Himiko and Bird ______________________.
4. Bird's in-laws _____________________.
5. Delchef argues with Bird about ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
2. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
3. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
4. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
5. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
6. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
7. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
8. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
9. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
10. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)