|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Bird want to look up in Delchef's dictionary?
2. What has Bird's wife been told about her baby?
3. Bird recalls that the last words of the person in #164 to Bird were about _________________.
4. After talking to the person in #164, Bird realizes that he _______________________.
5. What does the doctor tell Bird about the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
2. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
3. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
4. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
5. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
6. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
7. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
8. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
9. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
10. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
A PERSONAL MATTER is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)