|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bird reunite with Himiko after leaving the maternity hospital?
2. What does Bird realize when he wakes up later in Himiko's bed?
3. How does Bird get to work the next day?
4. When was A PERSONAL MATTER first published?
5. What does the one-eyed doctor tell Bird about Bird's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
2. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
3. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
4. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
5. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
6. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
7. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
8. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
9. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
10. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novle and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)