|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Bird not see when he looks into his son's eyes?
2. Delchef argues with Bird about ________________________.
3. Bird's in-laws _____________________.
4. What does Himiko suggest to Bird to help him get over his distaste for the female body?
5. What does Bird receive when he gets to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
2. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
3. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
4. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
5. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
6. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
7. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
8. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
9. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
10. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)