|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Bird want to look up in Delchef's dictionary?
2. What does the doctor tell Bird about the baby?
3. What concerns Bird about Himiko's car?
4. What does Himiko suggest to Bird to help him get over his distaste for the female body?
5. What does Himiko suggest to Bird regarding the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
2. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
3. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
4. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
5. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
6. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
7. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
8. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
9. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
10. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Oe choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)