|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bird decide to go to the meeting with the person in #126?
2. That night, Bird awakens frequently from dreams in which ________________________.
3. What was the adventure that Bird recalls having with the person in #164?
4. What name had Bird's wife been thinking of giving to the baby?
5. Himiko tells Bird that the name given to the baby is also the name of ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
2. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
3. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
4. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
5. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
6. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
7. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
8. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
9. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
10. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bird. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bird?
Essay Topic 3
A PERSONAL MATTER is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)