|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Bird NOT say to Himiko?
2. What does Bird note about Himiko and the person in #129?
3. Himiko reminds Bird of _________________________.
4. What word does Delchef write in the book in #141?
5. What happens at Himiko's house as she and Bird get ready to go for the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
2. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
3. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
4. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
5. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
6. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
7. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
8. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
9. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
10. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A PERSONAL MATTER is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the conflict between Bird and his wife. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does the conflict between Bird and his wife occur shortly after their marriage?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)