|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bird get to work the next day?
2. What does the one-eyed doctor tell Bird about Bird's wife?
3. As Bird goes to leave, Delchef gives him a book about ______________________.
4. Himiko tells Bird that the person in #129 said the things about Bird because ______________________.
5. Himiko tells Bird that he must define and isolate ____________________ in order to conquer them.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
2. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
3. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
4. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
5. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
6. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
7. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
8. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
9. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
10. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bird. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bird?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Oe choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)