|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Bird NOT say to Himiko?
2. How does Bird get to work the next day?
3. That night, Bird awakens frequently from dreams in which ________________________.
4. Himiko and the person in #129 think that Bird is in denial about _________________________.
5. What does Bird realize when he wakes up later in Himiko's bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
2. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
3. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
4. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
5. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
6. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
7. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
8. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
9. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
10. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is an important theme in A PERSONAL MATTER. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are only a few characters in the book who have names. Why does the author choose to name the characters he does? What point is the author trying to make by not giving names to the other characters? Why is it significant that the baby does not have a name until late in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)