|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bird's wife recall hearing as she was giving birth?
2. After talking to the person in #164, Bird realizes that he _______________________.
3. What makes the baby start to cry uncontrollably in the car?
4. What is the nature of the phone call that Bird answers?
5. What is actually wrong with the baby as discovered by the physicians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
2. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
3. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
4. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
5. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
6. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
7. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
8. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
9. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
10. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is an important theme in A PERSONAL MATTER. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Bird's life. What is his relationship with his son? What is his relationship with his wife? Have his dreams of going to Africa been completely squelched? What is Bird's state of mind? How does Bird feel about himself now?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)