|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is actually wrong with the baby as discovered by the physicians?
2. What word does Delchef write in the book in #141?
3. The person in #145 suggests that Himiko and Bird ______________________.
4. Which of the following does Bird NOT say to Himiko?
5. Why does the pediatrician shout at Bird?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
2. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
3. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
4. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
5. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
6. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
7. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
8. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
9. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
10. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the conflict between Bird and his wife. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does the conflict between Bird and his wife occur shortly after their marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)