|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird says that he cannot think about anything but ___________________.
2. Himiko tells Bird that he must define and isolate ____________________ in order to conquer them.
3. What does Himiko run into a store to purchase for the baby?
4. Himiko tells Bird that the person in #129 said the things about Bird because ______________________.
5. Where did Himiko's husband die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
2. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
3. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
4. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
5. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
6. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
7. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
8. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
9. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
10. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Kenzaburo Oe is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)