|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is actually wrong with the baby as discovered by the physicians?
2. Bird says that he cannot think about anything but ___________________.
3. What name had Bird's wife been thinking of giving to the baby?
4. What does Bird unexpectedly do after work?
5. Where does Bird reunite with Himiko after leaving the maternity hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
2. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
3. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
4. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
5. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
6. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
7. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
8. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
9. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
10. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in 1960s Japan when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Bird's life. What is his relationship with his son? What is his relationship with his wife? Have his dreams of going to Africa been completely squelched? What is Bird's state of mind? How does Bird feel about himself now?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)