|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird's in-laws _____________________.
2. The person in #145 suggests that Himiko and Bird ______________________.
3. Why is Himiko prepared to help Bird with the baby?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of Bird's African treasures he has at Himiko's apartment?
5. Bird's mother-in-law tells Bird not to tell his wife the truth about the baby because _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
2. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
3. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
4. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
5. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
6. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
7. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
8. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
9. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
10. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Bird's life. What is his relationship with his son? What is his relationship with his wife? Have his dreams of going to Africa been completely squelched? What is Bird's state of mind? How does Bird feel about himself now?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)