|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bird go to Himiko's house?
2. Himiko says that she will go to Africa with whom?
3. How do Bird and the person in #164 know each other?
4. What happens at Himiko's house as she and Bird get ready to go for the baby?
5. Bird recalls that the last words of the person in #164 to Bird were about _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
2. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
3. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
4. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
5. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
6. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
7. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
8. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
9. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
10. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conflict between Bird and his wife. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does the conflict between Bird and his wife occur shortly after their marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Abandonment seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Oe choose to use these places in the novel?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)