|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bird wants to stop ________________________.
(a) drinking too much.
(b) being a man who's always running away.
(d) losing jobs.
2. What was the adventure that Bird recalls having with the person in #164?
(a) A search for a missing man.
(b) A hike across the country.
(c) A trip to Africa.
(d) A hot air balloon ride.
3. What concerns Bird about Himiko's car?
(a) The battery is dead.
(b) The tires are bad.
(c) It has a lot of exhaust.
(d) It doesn't have a roof.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Bird's wife when he sees her?
(a) In pain.
5. What does the one-eyed doctor tell Bird about Bird's wife?
(a) She is hemorrhaging.
(b) She doesn't know the truth about the baby.
(c) She is in a deep depression.
(d) She has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. A student offers to help Bird get a job as a ________________.
2. Himiko tells Bird that he must define and isolate ____________________ in order to conquer them.
3. What name does Bird give the baby at the hospital?
4. Where did Himiko's husband die?
5. Why does Bird go to Himiko's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
2. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
3. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
4. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
5. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
6. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
7. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
8. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
9. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
10. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)