|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is actually wrong with the baby as discovered by the physicians?
(a) He had a benign tumor.
(b) He had no hearing.
(c) He had a cleft palate.
(d) He was blind.
2. What does Himiko want to do after the baby dies?
(a) Travel to America.
(b) Go to Africa with Bird.
(c) Move to a different house.
(d) Go back to school.
3. What does Himiko run into a store to purchase for the baby?
(b) A pacifier.
4. Who is visiting with Himiko when Bird arrives?
(a) Her mother.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Her sister.
(d) A college friend.
5. Bird has plans to _____________________.
(a) become a tourist guide.
(b) get his Master's degree.
(c) divorce his wife.
(d) visit America.
Short Answer Questions
1. The doctor at the clinic states that the baby is developing _________________.
2. What does Bird tell the doctor he wants to do with the baby?
3. What has Bird's wife been told about her baby?
4. When Bird arrives at school, he learns that he has a meeting with _________________ after class.
5. How does Bird get to work the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
2. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
3. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
4. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
5. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
6. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
7. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
8. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
9. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
10. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)