|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Delchef write in the book in #141?
2. What does Bird tell the doctor he wants to do with the baby?
(a) Let him get a little stronger before deciding.
(b) Let the baby die.
(c) Take the baby home.
(d) Have the surgery.
3. What is the nature of the phone call that Bird answers?
(a) His wife wants him to come home.
(b) His mother-in-law tells him the baby is dead.
(c) It is a wrong number.
(d) He is to go to the hospital to see the surgeon.
4. What is Himiko's response when Bird tells her he thinks the baby is dead?
(a) She is very sad for the little baby.
(b) Now Bird can get a good night's sleep.
(c) Bird was wrong to let the baby die.
(d) Bird and his wife can have another baby.
5. Himiko reminds Bird of _________________________.
(a) his rent payment.
(b) his wedding anniversary.
(c) the restaurant check.
(d) the probable fate of the baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Bird goes to leave, Delchef gives him a book about ______________________.
2. Why does Himiko drive Bird to his apartment?
3. Bird remains awake all night imagining that _____________________.
4. Bird wants to stop ________________________.
5. When Bird arrives at school, he learns that he has a meeting with _________________ after class.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
2. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
3. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
4. How are Bird and Delchef in contrast regarding their attitudes toward responsibility?
5. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
6. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
7. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
8. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
9. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
10. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)