|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The women in the maternity hospital think that Bird ________________________.
(a) is a very considerate husband.
(b) is not a very good provider.
(c) has left his baby at the other hospital to die.
(d) seems very immature.
2. That night, Bird awakens frequently from dreams in which ________________________.
(a) he imagines the phone ringing.
(b) he is being chases by a unicorn.
(c) the baby is as big as a skyscraper.
(d) he cannot get off an escalator.
3. Why is the name in #113 significant for Bird?
(a) It is the name of Bird's home village.
(b) It was the name of a troubled friend he abandoned.
(c) It is his middle name.
(d) It was his father's name.
4. What word does Delchef write in the book in #141?
5. Bird's mother-in-law tells Bird not to tell his wife the truth about the baby because _____________________.
(a) she will kill herself.
(b) she will release herself before she is ready.
(c) she will lose her will to live.
(d) she will not want to have any more children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Bird about Himiko's car?
2. What is the nature of the phone call that Bird answers?
3. What does Bird bring with him from the apartment?
4. What has Bird's wife been told about her baby?
5. What does the one-eyed doctor advise Bird to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
2. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
3. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
4. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
5. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
6. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
7. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
8. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
9. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
10. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)