|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bird bring with him from the apartment?
(b) Maps of Africa.
2. What has Bird's wife been told about her baby?
(a) The baby is in an oxygen tent.
(b) Tests are being run.
(c) The baby has died.
(d) The baby is not hungry.
3. Where does Himiko drive Bird after leaving his apartment?
(a) The hospital.
(b) A bistro.
(c) The airport.
(d) A library.
4. Bird remains awake all night imagining that _____________________.
(a) his wife has taken the baby home.
(b) the baby has died.
(c) the baby is being fed and not starved.
(d) he has money for the baby's surgery.
5. That night, Bird awakens frequently from dreams in which ________________________.
(a) he cannot get off an escalator.
(b) the baby is as big as a skyscraper.
(c) he is being chases by a unicorn.
(d) he imagines the phone ringing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Himiko prepared to help Bird with the baby?
2. What does Himiko suggest to Bird regarding the baby?
3. Bird's mother-in-law tells Bird not to tell his wife the truth about the baby because _____________________.
4. Why does Himiko drive Bird to his apartment?
5. What does Himiko suggest to Bird to help him get over his distaste for the female body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
2. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
3. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
4. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
5. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
6. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
7. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
8. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
9. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
10. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)