|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the pediatrician shout at Bird?
(a) Bird wants to speed the baby's death.
(b) Bird did not come back when he said he would.
(c) Bird needs to leave the area.
(d) Bird is lying to his wife about the baby.
2. What can Bird not see when he looks into his son's eyes?
(a) Any recognition.
(b) His reflection.
3. What does Bird unexpectedly do after work?
(a) He resigns.
(b) He buys a new car.
(c) He buys a ticket to Africa.
(d) He runs away with Himiko.
4. Who is visiting with Himiko when Bird arrives?
(a) Her sister.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A college friend.
(d) Her mother.
5. What was the adventure that Bird recalls having with the person in #164?
(a) A search for a missing man.
(b) A hike across the country.
(c) A hot air balloon ride.
(d) A trip to Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Delchef thinks that Bird is being ___________________ about the situation with the baby.
2. What does Himiko suggest to Bird regarding the baby?
3. Bird's in-laws _____________________.
4. Bird's mother-in-law tells Bird not to tell his wife the truth about the baby because _____________________.
5. What is Himiko doing when she suddenly cries out in the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
2. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
3. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
4. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
5. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
6. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
7. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
8. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
9. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
10. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)