|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bird arrives at school, he learns that he has a meeting with _________________ after class.
(a) the English Department.
(b) a parent.
(c) the Board of Education.
(d) the Principal.
2. Bird recalls that the last words of the person in #164 to Bird were about _________________.
3. Where does Himiko drive Bird after leaving his apartment?
(a) The hospital.
(b) The airport.
(c) A library.
(d) A bistro.
4. What is Himiko's response when Bird tells her he thinks the baby is dead?
(a) She is very sad for the little baby.
(b) Bird was wrong to let the baby die.
(c) Now Bird can get a good night's sleep.
(d) Bird and his wife can have another baby.
5. What is actually wrong with the baby as discovered by the physicians?
(a) He had a benign tumor.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He had a cleft palate.
(d) He had no hearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Himiko drive Bird to his apartment?
2. What word does Delchef write in the book in #141?
3. Delchef thinks that Bird is being ___________________ about the situation with the baby.
4. What does Himiko want to do after the baby dies?
5. A student offers to help Bird get a job as a ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bird and Himiko do when told that the baby is nearly strong enough for the operation?
2. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
3. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
4. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
5. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
6. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
7. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
8. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
9. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
10. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)