|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the phone call that Bird answers?
(a) His mother-in-law tells him the baby is dead.
(b) His wife wants him to come home.
(c) He is to go to the hospital to see the surgeon.
(d) It is a wrong number.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Bird's African treasures he has at Himiko's apartment?
3. Himiko says that she will go to Africa with whom?
(b) Her ex-husband.
(d) The guy who stole her tire.
4. Which of the following does Bird NOT say to Himiko?
(a) He is going to take the baby back to the hospital.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) He wants the baby to have the operation.
(d) He has changed his mind about the baby.
5. Why does Himiko drive Bird to his apartment?
(a) He needed a ride home.
(b) To water the plants.
(c) So he can pick up a few things.
(d) So he can sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bird decide to go to the meeting with the person in #126?
2. How do Bird and the person in #164 know each other?
3. What does the doctor tell Bird about the baby?
4. A student offers to help Bird get a job as a ________________.
5. What is actually wrong with the baby as discovered by the physicians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
2. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
3. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
4. What reason does Bird give Himiko for taking the baby back to the hospital for the operation?
5. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
6. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
7. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
8. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
9. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
10. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)