|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bird realize when he wakes up later in Himiko's bed?
(a) He wants to divorce his wife.
(b) He needs to visit his wife.
(c) He will kill his child.
(d) He has lost his fear of the female body.
2. Bird recalls that the last words of the person in #164 to Bird were about _________________.
3. What does Himiko run into a store to purchase for the baby?
(c) A pacifier.
4. When Bird meets with Delchef, Delchef tells him that _______________________.
(a) he is returning to his home country.
(b) he has no intention of leaving his Japanese girlfriend.
(c) he wants to go to Africa with him.
(d) he needs to borrow some money.
5. Bird wants to stop ________________________.
(a) being a man who's always running away.
(c) losing jobs.
(d) drinking too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bird get to work the next day?
2. Why does Bird go to Himiko's house?
3. What is the nature of the phone call that Bird answers?
4. Why does Bird decide to go to the meeting with the person in #126?
5. What does the baby do as Bird watches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the mention of the maps of Africa?
2. What instruction does Bird give the doctor regarding the baby's dwindling condition?
3. What is the significance of the name, Kikuhiko, to Bird and to the story?
4. What temporarily squelches Bird's desire for sex with Himiko?
5. What does Bird view the vagina and womb as and what does Himiko suggest that he do to get over his distaste for the female body?
6. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
7. What does Bird's encounter with Kikuhiko point out to Bird?
8. What is the symbolism of Himiko's repeatedly getting lost on the way to the clinic?
9. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
10. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)