|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Himiko prepared to help Bird with the baby?
(a) She thinks he will pay her.
(b) She loves babies.
(c) She has strong feelings for Bird now.
(d) She wants to be a nurse.
2. What does Bird tell the doctor he wants to do with the baby?
(a) Let him get a little stronger before deciding.
(b) Let the baby die.
(c) Have the surgery.
(d) Take the baby home.
3. Bird says that he cannot think about anything but ___________________.
(a) a job.
(b) the baby.
(d) his wife.
4. What do Bird and Himiko do after Bird awakens?
(a) Watch television.
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Have sexual intercourse.
(d) Eat breakfast.
5. Which of the following does Bird NOT say to Himiko?
(a) He has changed his mind about the baby.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) He is going to take the baby back to the hospital.
(d) He wants the baby to have the operation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Delchef argues with Bird about ________________________.
2. What does Bird's wife accuse him of doing?
3. Delchef thinks that Bird is being ___________________ about the situation with the baby.
4. What is Delchef's native language?
5. How does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
2. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
3. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
4. What role does Himiko and her comfort with her own sexuality play in helping Bird in his journey of transformation?
5. What is the content of the letter which Bird received at his job?
6. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
7. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
8. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
9. What does Bird name the baby and how does Himiko know the name?
10. What outward signs in Bird's life indicate that he has made internal transformations?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)