|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is known about the person in #79?
(a) He has recently moved to America.
(b) He has recently moved in with a Japanese girl.
(c) He is taking a sabbatical.
(d) He has been diagnosed with a terminal illness.
2. When does the doctor want Bird to return to the hospital?
(a) Next week.
(b) This afternoon.
3. For what does Bird ask a sales clerk?
(a) Motor oil.
(c) Road maps of Africa.
(d) Blue shirts.
4. Himiko carries Bird to ________________ so he can sleep.
(a) the den.
(b) the living room couch.
(c) the spare room.
(d) her bedroom.
5. What does Bird learn about his son when he sees him in the hospital?
(a) He is doing well.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is ready to go home.
(d) He is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird encounters a man whose baby has no ________________.
2. Who is Himiko?
3. How is Bird positioned for his new roles in life?
4. The older man who comes to Himiko's is a/an ___________________.
5. What does the person in #54 give Bird before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
2. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
3. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
4. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
5. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
6. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
7. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
8. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
9. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
10. What seems to exaggerate Bird's feelings of inadequacy at the arcade?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)