|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bird note about the hospital's Director?
(a) He is deaf.
(b) He stutters.
(c) He is sullen.
(d) He giggles.
2. What is known about the person in #79?
(a) He has been diagnosed with a terminal illness.
(b) He has recently moved to America.
(c) He has recently moved in with a Japanese girl.
(d) He is taking a sabbatical.
3. Why can the new baby not have surgery?
(a) It is too expensive.
(b) It is too risky.
(c) It is inoperable.
(d) He is too young.
4. Who is Himiko?
(a) Bird's former girlfriend.
(b) Bird's wife.
(c) Bird's mother.
(d) Bird's sister.
5. What does Bird note about Himiko's apartment?
(a) It is freshly painted.
(b) It is dark.
(c) It has new drapes.
(d) It smells like bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what is Bird suffering this morning?
2. Bird thinks the people in #38 look like ________________.
3. Bird hints to the doctor that ______________________.
4. What had happened to Himiko's husband?
5. How is Bird positioned for his new roles in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
2. How have Himiko's feelings about Bird evolved over the last few days?
3. What does Bird's father-in-law give to Bird during the visit and why is this an unlikely offering given Bird's troubles with addiction?
4. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
5. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
6. What are some of the negative and positive reminders that Bird receives about the possibilities for his future?
7. Who is Kikuhiko and how is he introduced to the story?
8. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
9. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
10. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)