|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Bird get a job when he left graduate school?
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A political office.
(d) A cram school.
2. What does Bird note about the hospital's Director?
(a) He stutters.
(b) He is sullen.
(c) He giggles.
(d) He is deaf.
3. What is Bird told about the new baby?
(a) The baby is abnormal.
(b) The baby is premature.
(c) The baby is very healthy.
(d) The baby has a deformed heart.
4. Who is Bird's fellow colleague who is a foreigner?
5. What had Himiko been doing before Bird got to her apartment?
(a) Contemplating the universe.
(d) Writing a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bird's mother-in-law doing when he arrives at the hospital?
2. Where will Bird get the money to pay the hospital bills?
3. Bird gives up on the bus and get to Hamiko's room via ________________.
4. What does Bird note about Himiko's apartment?
5. What does Bird do when Himiko goes to the shower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
2. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
3. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
4. What is the significance of the students in Bird's class and what do they represent after his in-class vomiting incident?
5. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
6. Who are the people who Bird encounters when he gets to the maternity hospital?
7. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
8. What does Bird's father-in-law give to Bird during the visit and why is this an unlikely offering given Bird's troubles with addiction?
9. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
10. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)