|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doctor thinks the baby and the parents __________________________.
(a) will come through this trial just fine.
(b) would be better off if the baby were dead.
(c) need a lot of emotional support.
(d) look a lot alike.
2. Bird thinks the people in #38 look like ________________.
3. Who does Bird encounter when he leaves the shop?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A mime.
(c) A transvestite.
(d) A priest.
4. From where does Bird call his mother-in-law?
(a) A bus station.
(b) A cell phone.
(c) A video arcade.
(d) A bistro.
5. What condition does the new baby have?
(a) Brain hernia.
(b) Spina Bifida.
(c) Undeveloped heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bird note about Himiko's apartment?
2. What awakens Himiko from his sleep?
3. What place has Bird always wanted to visit?
4. What puts Bird in a good mood?
5. Why can the new baby not have surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
2. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
3. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
4. Why is Bird conflicted when Himiko's father-in-law says she and Bird should go to Africa?
5. What happens to Bird when he goes to his job at the school in Chapter 9?
6. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
7. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
8. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
9. What positive encounter does Bird have with the second student from his class?
10. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)