|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person in #52 tell Bird?
(a) To take the week off from work.
(b) To bring his wife some clean clothes.
(c) Not to come to the maternity hospital.
(d) To call the hospital billing office.
2. What is Bird's mother-in-law doing when he arrives at the hospital?
(b) Talking on the phone.
(d) Hiding her face.
3. How many shots of whiskey does Bird drink in quick succession?
4. What is the baby's prognosis?
(a) He will never be normal.
(b) He is brain dead.
(c) He will grow out of the condition.
(d) He will die within a week.
5. Bird briefly fantasizes about _______________________.
(a) an evening with the transvestite.
(b) flying a plane.
(d) being wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird and Himiko reminisce about ____________________________.
2. Himiko carries Bird to ________________ so he can sleep.
3. Who is looking for a fight with Bird?
4. Why can the new baby not have surgery?
5. What does the angry student realize about Bird?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
2. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
3. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
4. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
5. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
6. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
7. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
8. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
9. What is the significance of the students in Bird's class and what do they represent after his in-class vomiting incident?
10. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)