|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bird go to visit after he leaves the hospital?
(a) His mentor.
(b) His father-in-law.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His brother.
2. What does Bird think about as he is on his way to visit the person in #54?
(a) Sending flowers to his wife.
(b) Getting a new job.
(c) The nature of his baby's life.
(d) Running away to Africa.
3. From where does Bird call his mother-in-law?
(a) A bus station.
(b) A cell phone.
(c) A bistro.
(d) A video arcade.
4. What does Bird do as he waits for a cab?
(a) Counts his money.
(b) Checks his e-mail.
(c) Calls the hospital.
(d) Spits out a broken tooth.
5. How is Bird positioned for his new roles in life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Bird convinced as he walks through the hospital?
2. Who/what is foreshadowed in Chapter 2?
3. When does the doctor want Bird to return to the hospital?
4. What is the weather like as Bird takes on the gang?
5. What does Bird do to send the gang's fighter to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
2. What do the giggling doctor and the one-eyed doctor symbolize in the story?
3. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
4. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
5. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
6. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
7. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
8. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
9. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
10. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)