|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does the new baby have?
(b) Spina Bifida.
(c) Brain hernia.
(d) Undeveloped heart.
2. Who/what is foreshadowed in Chapter 2?
(a) The video arcade.
(b) The doctor's giggling.
(c) The "angel" women.
(d) The mother-in-law's face.
3. When does the doctor want Bird to return to the hospital?
(c) Next week.
(d) This afternoon.
4. What does Bird identify himself as when he arrives at the hospital?
(a) The holy man.
(b) The uncle.
(c) The father.
(d) The husband.
5. From what is Bird suffering this morning?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #54 give Bird before he leaves?
2. What puts Bird in a good mood?
3. Which of the following does Bird NOT think about on this day?
4. To Bird, the baby represents __________________.
5. Himiko can best be described as __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
2. What does Bird's father-in-law give to Bird during the visit and why is this an unlikely offering given Bird's troubles with addiction?
3. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
4. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
5. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
6. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
7. Waking up sick with a hangover, what does Bird think might serve as partial restitution for the baby's dire situation?
8. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
9. Where does Bird go after leaving his father-in-law's office?
10. What is important foreshadowing regarding the tests of strength and Bird's encounter with the gang?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)