|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bird learn about his son when he sees him in the hospital?
(a) He is doing well.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He is ready to go home.
2. What games does Bird try after talking to his mother-in-law?
(a) Tests of strength.
(b) A pinball game.
(c) Pac Man.
(d) A Grand Prix racing game.
3. What does Africa represent in Bird's life now?
(a) Lost causes.
(d) Spirit of avoidance.
4. What did the Hospital Director do during the baby's birth?
5. Bird encounters a man whose baby has no ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Bird, the baby represents __________________.
2. What had Himiko been doing before Bird got to her apartment?
3. What does Bird do when Himiko goes to the shower?
4. What does an outspoken student do when Bird dismisses class early?
5. Why does Bird need to call his mother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
2. What does Bird notice about the women watching from the windows of the maternity hospital?
3. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
4. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
5. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
6. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
7. Waking up sick with a hangover, what does Bird think might serve as partial restitution for the baby's dire situation?
8. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
9. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
10. What does Bird learn about the child's birth when he calls his mother-in-law?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)