|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bird need to call his mother-in-law?
(a) To ask her to dinner.
(b) To check on the baby's birth.
(c) To borrow some money
(d) To borrow her car.
2. Who does Bird see standing at the windows of the hospital?
(c) Pregnant women.
3. What did Bird do the summer after he got married?
(a) Stayed drunk for four weeks.
(b) Traveled to Africa.
(c) Built a house.
(d) Took French lessons.
4. It is _______________ that Bird uses sex to avoid responsibility but it is sex that ultimately allows him to take responsibility.
5. The doctor thinks the baby and the parents __________________________.
(a) look a lot alike.
(b) would be better off if the baby were dead.
(c) will come through this trial just fine.
(d) need a lot of emotional support.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird thinks the people in #38 look like ________________.
2. Where did Bird get a job when he left graduate school?
3. Who does Bird go to visit after he leaves the hospital?
4. Himiko carries Bird to ________________ so he can sleep.
5. When will the baby's condition be better known?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
2. Waking up sick with a hangover, what does Bird think might serve as partial restitution for the baby's dire situation?
3. What does the glass-eyed doctor tell Bird they will know more about the baby's condition?
4. What does Bird's father-in-law give to Bird during the visit and why is this an unlikely offering given Bird's troubles with addiction?
5. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
6. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
7. Describe the nature of Bird's brief encounter with the transvestite on the street.
8. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
9. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
10. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)