|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bird need to call his mother-in-law?
(a) To borrow her car.
(b) To borrow some money
(c) To check on the baby's birth.
(d) To ask her to dinner.
2. Where does Bird go with the doctor to take the baby?
(c) The morgue.
(d) Another hospital.
3. When does the doctor want Bird to return to the hospital?
(b) Next week.
(c) This afternoon.
4. What place has Bird always wanted to visit?
5. What does Bird note about Himiko's apartment?
(a) It smells like bread.
(b) It has new drapes.
(c) It is freshly painted.
(d) It is dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird gives up on the bus and get to Hamiko's room via ________________.
2. How does Bird feel about responsibility for his child?
3. Which of the following does Bird NOT think about on this day?
4. What is Bird contemplating in the book?
5. From what is Bird suffering this morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
2. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
3. Describe the nature of Bird's brief encounter with the transvestite on the street.
4. What is important foreshadowing regarding the tests of strength and Bird's encounter with the gang?
5. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
6. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
7. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
8. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
9. What seems to exaggerate Bird's feelings of inadequacy at the arcade?
10. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)