|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Himiko can best be described as __________________.
2. What games does Bird try after talking to his mother-in-law?
(a) A pinball game.
(b) A Grand Prix racing game.
(c) Tests of strength.
(d) Pac Man.
3. What does Bird do when he realizes that Himiko has gone?
(a) Goes back to sleep.
(b) Goes home.
(c) Watches TV.
(d) Goes back to the hospital.
4. What had Himiko been doing before Bird got to her apartment?
(a) Contemplating the universe.
(b) Writing a letter.
5. What is the state of mind of the main character?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird briefly fantasizes about _______________________.
2. What does Bird do as he reads a short story to his class?
3. To Bird, the baby represents __________________.
4. Who tells Bird about the baby's condition at the other hospital?
5. For what does Bird ask a sales clerk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
2. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
3. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
4. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
5. Waking up sick with a hangover, what does Bird think might serve as partial restitution for the baby's dire situation?
6. What does Bird notice about the women watching from the windows of the maternity hospital?
7. What seems to exaggerate Bird's feelings of inadequacy at the arcade?
8. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
9. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
10. What is the significance of the students in Bird's class and what do they represent after his in-class vomiting incident?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)