|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bird use intense sexuality for?
(a) A means of avoiding responsibility.
(b) A measure of intelligence.
(c) A form of expression.
(d) His creativity.
2. What is Bird afraid of losing now that his child is here?
(a) His sense of identity.
(b) His time.
(c) His career.
(d) His money.
3. Why does Bird need to call his mother-in-law?
(a) To ask her to dinner.
(b) To borrow some money
(c) To check on the baby's birth.
(d) To borrow her car.
4. What does Bird do when Himiko goes to the shower?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Watches television.
(c) Gets glasses for the whiskey.
(d) Makes some phone calls.
5. What does the angry student realize about Bird?
(a) He is demented.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He is hungover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Bird get the money to pay the hospital bills?
2. Which of the following does Bird NOT think about on this day?
3. Where did Bird get a job when he left graduate school?
4. What does Bird tell Himiko?
5. When will the baby's condition be better known?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
2. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
3. How does Bird learn that his child has a problem?
4. What does the glass-eyed doctor tell Bird they will know more about the baby's condition?
5. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
6. What do the giggling doctor and the one-eyed doctor symbolize in the story?
7. What is the significance of the students in Bird's class and what do they represent after his in-class vomiting incident?
8. Where does Bird go after leaving his father-in-law's office?
9. What does Bird notice about the women watching from the windows of the maternity hospital?
10. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)