|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can the new baby not have surgery?
(a) He is too young.
(b) It is too risky.
(c) It is too expensive.
(d) It is inoperable.
2. Hamiko gives Bird advice on ____________________.
(a) dealing with a hangover.
(b) passing the bar exam.
(c) frugal travel.
(d) getting a good apartment.
3. What request does Bird's colleague make of him?
(a) To help bring back a fellow colleague.
(b) To fill in for him when he is on vacation.
(c) To borrow his bike.
(d) To borrow some books.
4. What is the state of mind of the main character?
5. Surgery will be performed on Bird's baby to ______________________.
(a) put the brain back in the head.
(b) put in ear tubes.
(c) fix a heart defect.
(d) straighten his legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bird learn about his son when he sees him in the hospital?
2. Where will Bird get the money to pay the hospital bills?
3. Who tells Bird about the baby's condition at the other hospital?
4. What puts Bird in a good mood?
5. What is the profession of the person in #54?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
2. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
3. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
4. What does Bird notice about the women watching from the windows of the maternity hospital?
5. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
6. Waking up sick with a hangover, what does Bird think might serve as partial restitution for the baby's dire situation?
7. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
8. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
9. Who are the people who Bird encounters when he gets to the maternity hospital?
10. What do the giggling doctor and the one-eyed doctor symbolize in the story?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)