|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the angry student realize about Bird?
(a) He is ill.
(b) He is hungover.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He is demented.
2. What kind of book is Bird looking at as the novel begins?
(a) Photo album.
(d) Text book.
3. The doctor thinks the baby and the parents __________________________.
(a) would be better off if the baby were dead.
(b) will come through this trial just fine.
(c) need a lot of emotional support.
(d) look a lot alike.
4. What does Bird think about as he is on his way to visit the person in #54?
(a) Sending flowers to his wife.
(b) Running away to Africa.
(c) The nature of his baby's life.
(d) Getting a new job.
5. What does an outspoken student do when Bird dismisses class early?
(a) Offers to take Bird home.
(b) Withdraws from class.
(c) Shouts out attacks.
(d) Informs the administration.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many shots of whiskey does Bird drink in quick succession?
2. What does Bird note about Himiko's apartment?
3. Who is Himiko?
4. Himiko suggests that in another universe, Bird's baby will live to his __________________.
5. What games does Bird try after talking to his mother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Bird go after leaving his father-in-law's office?
2. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
3. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
4. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
5. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
6. What do the giggling doctor and the one-eyed doctor symbolize in the story?
7. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
8. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
9. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
10. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)