|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bird encounter when he leaves the shop?
(a) A mime.
(b) A transvestite.
(c) A priest.
(d) A beggar.
2. How does Bird get to the hospital?
3. Who is Bird's fellow colleague who is a foreigner?
4. What had happened to Himiko's husband?
(a) He was killed in a war.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He left her for another woman.
(d) He died of cancer.
5. Who is the central character of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. To Bird, the baby represents __________________.
2. Surgery will be performed on Bird's baby to ______________________.
3. What games does Bird try after talking to his mother-in-law?
4. Who is looking for a fight with Bird?
5. Who does Bird see standing at the windows of the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird's father-in-law give to Bird during the visit and why is this an unlikely offering given Bird's troubles with addiction?
2. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
3. What is important foreshadowing regarding the tests of strength and Bird's encounter with the gang?
4. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
5. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
6. What does the glass-eyed doctor tell Bird they will know more about the baby's condition?
7. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
8. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
9. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
10. What is the significance of the students in Bird's class and what do they represent after his in-class vomiting incident?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)