|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bird go with the doctor to take the baby?
(a) The morgue.
(d) Another hospital.
2. Who does Bird go to visit after he leaves the hospital?
(a) His best friend.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father-in-law.
(d) His mentor.
3. What does the angry student realize about Bird?
(a) He is demented.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He is hungover.
(d) He is ill.
4. What is the weather like as Bird takes on the gang?
5. Bird compares the baby's situation to ______________________.
(a) a wounded war hero.
(b) an angel.
(c) a saint.
(d) a miner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bird go after he gets dressed?
2. The doctor thinks the baby and the parents __________________________.
3. What does Bird learn about his son when he sees him in the hospital?
4. Bird hints to the doctor that ______________________.
5. Himiko suggests that in another universe, Bird's baby will live to his __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
2. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
3. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
4. Who are the people who Bird encounters when he gets to the maternity hospital?
5. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
6. What seems to exaggerate Bird's feelings of inadequacy at the arcade?
7. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
8. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
9. What does Bird learn about the child's birth when he calls his mother-in-law?
10. How does Bird learn that his child has a problem?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)