|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Bird get a job when he left graduate school?
(a) A political office.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A cram school.
2. Bird thinks the people in #38 look like ________________.
3. What does Bird learn about his son when he sees him in the hospital?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is doing well.
(c) He is ready to go home.
(d) He is dead.
4. The older man who comes to Himiko's is a/an ___________________.
(d) abortion doctor.
5. For what does Bird ask a sales clerk?
(a) Road maps of Africa.
(b) Motor oil.
(c) Blue shirts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the baby's prognosis?
2. Who tells Bird about the baby's condition at the other hospital?
3. The Hospital Director's behavior makes him appear to be __________________.
4. What did the Hospital Director do during the baby's birth?
5. Bird compares the baby's situation to ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird feel after his sexual encounter with Himiko?
2. Where does Bird go after leaving his father-in-law's office?
3. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
4. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
5. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
6. What is Delchef's opinion on how Bird is handling the situation regarding the baby?
7. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
8. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
9. In what way has Bird essentially changed universes in his life?
10. What word does Delchef write in the dictionary for Bird and what is its significance?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)