|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Bird give the baby at the hospital?
2. Why does the pediatrician shout at Bird?
(a) Bird is lying to his wife about the baby.
(b) Bird did not come back when he said he would.
(c) Bird needs to leave the area.
(d) Bird wants to speed the baby's death.
3. As Bird goes to leave, Delchef gives him a book about ______________________.
(a) World War II.
(b) a dictionary.
4. What concerns Bird about Himiko's car?
(a) It doesn't have a roof.
(b) It has a lot of exhaust.
(c) The battery is dead.
(d) The tires are bad.
5. How does Bird get to work the next day?
(a) He rides his bike.
(b) He rides the bus.
(c) He takes the subway.
(d) He drives Himiko's car.
6. What happens at Himiko's house as she and Bird get ready to go for the baby?
(a) Someone throws a rock through a window.
(b) The power goes out.
(c) Someone steals a tire from her car.
(d) A fire breaks out in the kitchen.
7. What does Bird tell the doctor he wants to do with the baby?
(a) Take the baby home.
(b) Have the surgery.
(c) Let the baby die.
(d) Let him get a little stronger before deciding.
8. When Bird meets with Delchef, Delchef tells him that _______________________.
(a) he has no intention of leaving his Japanese girlfriend.
(b) he needs to borrow some money.
(c) he is returning to his home country.
(d) he wants to go to Africa with him.
9. What does the baby do as Bird watches?
(a) Cries incessantly.
(b) Scratches behind his ears.
(c) Bleeds from his nose.
10. Who owns the establishment in #163?
11. In Chapter 11, Himiko is visited by _______________________.
(a) the landlord.
(b) her former lover.
(c) her ex-husband.
(d) her father-in-law.
12. What name had Bird's wife been thinking of giving to the baby?
13. When was A PERSONAL MATTER first published?
(a) Late 1990s.
(b) Early 1960s.
(d) Mid 1980s.
14. That night, Bird awakens frequently from dreams in which ________________________.
(a) he imagines the phone ringing.
(b) he is being chases by a unicorn.
(c) the baby is as big as a skyscraper.
(d) he cannot get off an escalator.
15. The person in #145 suggests that Himiko and Bird ______________________.
(a) adopt a child.
(b) get married.
(c) start a business.
(d) go to Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Himiko drive Bird after leaving his apartment?
2. What does the one-eyed doctor advise Bird to do?
3. The next day at the hospital, Bird is assured by the baby's doctor that the "crisis" will occur __________________.
4. Bird's in-laws _____________________.
5. What word does Bird want to look up in Delchef's dictionary?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)