|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Bird convinced as he walks through the hospital?
(a) His wife will divorce him.
(b) His father-in-law will pay for surgery.
(c) His son is dead.
(d) His wife will not want any more children.
2. Where will Bird get the money to pay the hospital bills?
(a) Freelance work.
(b) His Africa trip money.
(c) A second job.
(d) His father-in-law.
3. When will the baby's condition be better known?
(a) After the brain surgeon examines him.
(b) If exploratory surgery can be done.
(d) When the baby is six months old.
4. What awakens Himiko from his sleep?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) Men calling Himiko from outside.
(c) A siren.
(d) The TV.
5. Who does Bird call from the hospital?
(a) His landlord.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother-in-law.
(d) His boss.
6. What does an outspoken student do when Bird dismisses class early?
(a) Offers to take Bird home.
(b) Informs the administration.
(c) Withdraws from class.
(d) Shouts out attacks.
7. Why can the new baby not have surgery?
(a) It is too expensive.
(b) He is too young.
(c) It is too risky.
(d) It is inoperable.
8. What is the baby's prognosis?
(a) He will grow out of the condition.
(b) He is brain dead.
(c) He will die within a week.
(d) He will never be normal.
9. What does Bird note about the hospital's Director?
(a) He stutters.
(b) He is sullen.
(c) He giggles.
(d) He is deaf.
10. What did the Hospital Director do during the baby's birth?
11. What had Himiko been doing before Bird got to her apartment?
(a) Writing a letter.
(c) Contemplating the universe.
12. Bird gives up on the bus and get to Hamiko's room via ________________.
(a) a bus.
(b) a subway.
(c) a taxi.
(d) a car.
13. What does Africa represent in Bird's life now?
(a) Lost causes.
(b) Spirit of avoidance.
14. What is the state of mind of the main character?
15. Where does Bird work?
Short Answer Questions
1. Himiko can best be described as __________________.
2. What does Bird notice about one of the doctors?
3. From where does Bird call his mother-in-law?
4. It is _______________ that Bird uses sex to avoid responsibility but it is sex that ultimately allows him to take responsibility.
5. Bird encounters a man whose baby has no ________________.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)