|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of book is Bird looking at as the novel begins?
(b) Text book.
(d) Photo album.
2. From where does Bird call his mother-in-law?
(a) A bistro.
(b) A video arcade.
(c) A bus station.
(d) A cell phone.
3. Who is looking for a fight with Bird?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His wife.
(c) His professor.
(d) A gang.
4. Who does Bird encounter when he leaves the shop?
(a) A mime.
(b) A beggar.
(c) A transvestite.
(d) A priest.
5. What does Bird note about Himiko's apartment?
(a) It is dark.
(b) It has new drapes.
(c) It is freshly painted.
(d) It smells like bread.
6. What had happened to Himiko's husband?
(a) He left her for another woman.
(b) He was killed in a war.
(c) He died of cancer.
(d) He committed suicide.
7. Which of the following does Bird NOT think about on this day?
(a) Changes due to new baby.
(b) His youth.
(c) His birdlike nature.
(d) Buying a new car.
8. How does Bird feel about responsibility for his child?
9. What is Bird's mother-in-law doing when he arrives at the hospital?
(a) Talking on the phone.
(d) Hiding her face.
10. What does the person in #52 tell Bird?
(a) To take the week off from work.
(b) To call the hospital billing office.
(c) Not to come to the maternity hospital.
(d) To bring his wife some clean clothes.
11. When will the baby's condition be better known?
(a) When the baby is six months old.
(b) After the brain surgeon examines him.
(d) If exploratory surgery can be done.
12. When Bird catches a glimpse of Himiko's naked body, he ___________________________.
(a) is embarrassed.
(b) feels sexual excitement.
(c) feels his juvenile disgust with nudity.
(d) thinks she is like a statue.
13. Where does Bird go after he gets dressed?
(a) To the library.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To church.
(d) To work.
14. Himiko carries Bird to ________________ so he can sleep.
(a) the den.
(b) her bedroom.
(c) the spare room.
(d) the living room couch.
15. Who/what is foreshadowed in Chapter 2?
(a) The "angel" women.
(b) The video arcade.
(c) The doctor's giggling.
(d) The mother-in-law's face.
Short Answer Questions
1. References are made about ________________ giving birth.
2. Bird compares the baby's situation to ______________________.
3. What comes over Bird as he waits for the bus?
4. What is the state of mind of the main character?
5. What makes Bird happy for a few moments as he leaves the school?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)