|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Bird happy for a few moments as he leaves the school?
(a) The sun is shining brightly.
(b) He sees children playing in a park.
(c) The first student who tried to quiet the second student.
(d) It is finally the weekend.
2. What had happened to Himiko's husband?
(a) He left her for another woman.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He was killed in a war.
(d) He died of cancer.
3. What is Bird afraid of losing now that his child is here?
(a) His time.
(b) His career.
(c) His money.
(d) His sense of identity.
4. What is the baby's prognosis?
(a) He is brain dead.
(b) He will grow out of the condition.
(c) He will die within a week.
(d) He will never be normal.
5. What does the angry student realize about Bird?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is demented.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He is hungover.
6. For what does Bird ask a sales clerk?
(a) Motor oil.
(b) Road maps of Africa.
(c) Blue shirts.
7. What did the Hospital Director do during the baby's birth?
8. What does Africa represent in Bird's life now?
(a) Lost causes.
(b) Spirit of avoidance.
9. Who does Bird call from the hospital?
(a) His boss.
(b) His father.
(c) His landlord.
(d) His mother-in-law.
10. Where does Bird wake up in Chapter 5?
(a) His wife's bedside.
(b) The hospital.
(c) His apartment.
(d) Himiko's apartment.
11. The doctor would like to be present for the baby's __________________.
(d) first birthday party.
12. How does Bird feel about responsibility for his child?
13. What does Bird think about as he is on his way to visit the person in #54?
(a) The nature of his baby's life.
(b) Sending flowers to his wife.
(c) Running away to Africa.
(d) Getting a new job.
14. It is _______________ that Bird uses sex to avoid responsibility but it is sex that ultimately allows him to take responsibility.
15. What does Bird do as he waits for a cab?
(a) Spits out a broken tooth.
(b) Calls the hospital.
(c) Counts his money.
(d) Checks his e-mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bird do when he realizes that Himiko has gone?
2. Himiko carries Bird to ________________ so he can sleep.
3. Bird briefly fantasizes about _______________________.
4. What does Bird do when Himiko goes to the shower?
5. What does the person in #54 give Bird before he leaves?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)