|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person in #52 tell Bird?
(a) To take the week off from work.
(b) Not to come to the maternity hospital.
(c) To call the hospital billing office.
(d) To bring his wife some clean clothes.
2. What does the gang yell as they leave Bird?
(a) Bird is a pro fighter.
(b) Bird is too small.
(c) Bird is crazy.
(d) Bird is too old.
3. Bird compares the baby's situation to ______________________.
(a) a saint.
(b) an angel.
(c) a miner.
(d) a wounded war hero.
4. What is Bird afraid of losing now that his child is here?
(a) His time.
(b) His sense of identity.
(c) His money.
(d) His career.
5. What does Africa represent in Bird's life now?
(b) Spirit of avoidance.
(d) Lost causes.
6. The Director of the hospital asks Bird if he would like to see ___________________.
(a) the blood bank.
(b) the surgical suite.
(c) the goods.
(d) the maternity ward.
7. Bird encounters a man whose baby has no ________________.
8. What is Bird contemplating in the book?
(a) A map of Africa.
(b) His baby pictures.
(d) Exam questions.
9. What is the state of mind of the main character?
10. What kind of book is Bird looking at as the novel begins?
(a) Text book.
(b) Photo album.
11. Where does Bird go after he gets dressed?
(a) To work.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To church.
(d) To the library.
12. Of what is Bird convinced as he walks through the hospital?
(a) His son is dead.
(b) His father-in-law will pay for surgery.
(c) His wife will divorce him.
(d) His wife will not want any more children.
13. Bird briefly fantasizes about _______________________.
(a) an evening with the transvestite.
(b) being wealthy.
(d) flying a plane.
14. What does Bird note about the hospital's Director?
(a) He stutters.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He giggles.
(d) He is sullen.
15. Bird and Himiko reminisce about ____________________________.
(a) their childhood days.
(b) the day they met.
(c) their attempt to make love years ago.
(d) former lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bird feel about responsibility for his child?
2. Why can the new baby not have surgery?
3. What comes over Bird as he waits for the bus?
4. What is Bird's mother-in-law doing when he arrives at the hospital?
5. Who does Bird encounter when he leaves the shop?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)