|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29, Buffooneries, Chapter 30, Sententiae, Chapter 31, Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the attorney on the side of the defense in the Scopes Monkey Trial?
(a) Anthony Still.
(b) Clarence Darrow.
(c) Theodore Veblen.
(d) William Jennings Bryan.
2. In "female novels," how are males portrayed according to Mencken?
(a) As "heartthrobs."
(b) As "boobs."
(c) As "he-men."
(d) As "charlatans."
3. How does Mencken answer the question, "If you find so much that is unworthy of reverence in the United States, then why do you live here"?
(a) Because the alternative is much more frightening.
(b) America gives me the freedom to find it unworthy of reverence.
(c) Why do men go to zoos?
(d) Why not?
4. A man's taste in poetry is a reflection of what?
(a) His inner cravings.
(b) His sense of romance.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His love of life.
5. How does Mencken describe Oliver Wendell Holmes?
(a) He was a tool of liberal elites.
(b) He was a tool of conservative fuddy-duddies.
(c) He was a brilliant reasoner.
(d) He was a completely inept United States Senator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality makes for the best literary critic, according to Chapter 24?
2. What is Mencken's hope for democracy?
3. What two types of rich people does Mencken see in America?
4. Mencken sees that too often any discussion of suicide is rooted in what incorrect notion?
5. What kind of test does Mencken believe teachers should have to pass prior to teaching?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)