|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29, Buffooneries, Chapter 30, Sententiae, Chapter 31, Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the BEST term to use for Mencken's characterization of American millionaires?
2. In Chapter 15, Mencken expresses surprise that no one has violated the tomb of which man?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Grover Cleveland.
(c) Charles Joseph Bonaparte.
(d) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
3. Which is NOT one of the features Mencken imagines for the Confederacy, had it survived the Civil War?
(a) It would never have abolished slavery.
(b) It would be a more cultured place.
(c) It would be a wealthier place.
(d) It would have a strong aristocracy in place.
4. At what event did Mencken first personally encounter William Jennings Bryan?
(a) The 1912 Democratic National Convention.
(b) The Scopes Monkey trial.
(c) Bryan's congressional trial for corruption.
(d) The funeral of Grover Cleveland.
5. What does Mencken believe is the proper focus of psychology?
(a) The origins of lying.
(b) The study of psychological differences between people from various trades or types.
(c) The study of mob mentality.
(d) The study of physical deformity (such as injury) on the mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mencken criticize the American Medical Association?
2. Who wrote the Viennese Waltz?
3. What central critique does Mencken have for teachers of his day?
4. Who does Mencken call "the national ideal of a literary character"?
5. What comparison does Mencken make between man and animal in Chapter 1?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)