|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29, Buffooneries, Chapter 30, Sententiae, Chapter 31, Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken believe about Freudianism?
(a) It goes further to explain the human mind than anything before it.
(b) It makes several valid points.
(c) It is complete quackery.
(d) It it in no way truly reflects the brilliance of Sigmund Freud.
2. How does Mencken react to a religious ceremony inside a basilica, as he recounts in Chapter 15?
(a) With intellectual curiosity.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With joy.
(d) With disgust.
3. Who does Mencken identify as the founder of Christian Science?
(a) Sister Aimee.
(b) Theodore Veblen.
(c) Mary Baker G. Eddy.
(d) Anthony Comstock.
4. What does Mencken title his Chapter 29 series of essays?
(c) Meat Market Journalism.
5. What kind of sense of right and wrong do children have?
(a) Children are born without a sense of right and wrong, but they develop it without society's interference.
(b) Children are born with a sense of right and wrong, and they carry this into adulthood.
(c) Children are born with a sense of right and wrong, which is then corrupted by society.
(d) Children are born without a sense of right and wrong, and society imposes this sense upon them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mencken believe life on other planets is highly unlikely?
2. Which famous document does Mencken translate into plain American English in Chapter 29?
3. What does Mencken say about the nature of scientific hypotheses?
4. What is the usual relationship between an artist and his countrymen?
5. What is the fundamental flaw of the democratic style of government?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)