|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 29, Buffooneries, Chapter 30, Sententiae, Chapter 31, Appendix.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the qualities of Anglo-Saxons Mencken points to in Chapter 10?
(a) Yearning to constantly improve.
(b) Pure blooded.
(d) Rational and free of superstition.
2. What kind of men has history been written by, to date?
(a) The most intelligent men, and this is why history cannot be understood by most.
(b) Men more interested in power than factual accuracy.
(c) Third-rate, inferior men.
(d) Noble men of purpose.
3. Mencken sees authors as divided into which two classes?
(a) American and Foreign.
(b) Dramatic and Comedic.
(c) English and Continental.
(d) Sly and Overt.
4. How does Mencken characterize a woman's level of civility?
(a) Women are much more civilized than men.
(b) Women do not submit to civilization and must be coerced.
(c) Women have created their own civilization quite distinct from men.
(d) Women are relatively uncivilized.
5. Who does Mencken consider the greatest classical composer?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mencken believe life on other planets is highly unlikely?
2. Which is NOT one of Mencken's view of humankind as expressed in Chapter 1?
3. What point does Mencken make in his discussion of Darwinian evolution?
4. In Chapter 23, Mencken attends a church service during the Scopes Monkey Trial. What is his impression of that service?
5. What do most women think of their husbands according to Mencken?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)