|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, Science, Chapter 20, Quackery.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of human nature fuels the democratic system of government?
(b) Murderous violence.
2. What is Mencken's belief about the concept of sin?
(a) Sin is real, and exists all around us.
(b) Sin is a made-up term, and does not really exist.
(c) Sin is the reason why children are born.
(d) Sin is just another word for good deed; it's all relative.
3. What device does Mencken call a "boon to bores"?
4. What is the crux of Mr. Ayres' philosophical argument that Mencken criticizes?
(a) Science cannot account for morality.
(b) Language determines behavior and thought patterns.
(c) Causality is an illusion.
(d) Evolution is a hoax.
5. Punishment for crime is too often what, according to Mencken?
(a) Hypocritical and dishonest.
(b) The product of poor people exerting influence over the rich.
(c) Cruel and unusual.
(d) Effective, which results in the murder of the human spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mencken describe Oliver Wendell Holmes?
2. What do most women think of their husbands according to Mencken?
3. Which president did Charles Joseph Bonaparte work for?
4. Why might "reflective and skeptical men" refrain from suicide?
5. What kind of men does a democracy produce?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)