|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, Science, Chapter 20, Quackery.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the features of the typical school day, as envisioned by Mencken?
(a) The school day is boring and sad.
(b) Learning is a largely automatic process.
(c) Schoolboys deal with adults (teachers) they have great respect for.
(d) For stimulation, schoolboys try to talk to other schoolboys and only get punished for it.
2. Which politician does Mencken refer to as "a good man in a bad trade"?
(a) Grover Cleveland.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
3. Why is Mencken unable to embrace democratic political theory, as he himself states it in Chapter 9?
(a) He is incapable of being envious of others.
(b) He is not poor, and so cannot see democracy's benefits.
(c) He is morally superior to democrats.
(d) He is simply too cultured and sophisticated.
4. Who does Mencken identify as the father of chiropractic?
(a) Andrew Still.
(b) William Carlos Williams.
(c) John Ayres.
(d) Charles Joseph Bonaparte.
5. What does Mencken believe about the universality of morality?
(a) Morality is universal, and differences between moral systems are small.
(b) Morality is specific to a particular individual.
(c) Morality is specific to regions of the world.
(d) Morality depends upon the language one speaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the qualities of being a teacher according to Mencken?
2. Sister Aimee was an evangelist in what branch of Christian religion?
3. What "call" does Mencken make to America's poets in Chapter 7?
4. How does Mencken describe President Coolidge?
5. What central critique does Mencken have for teachers of his day?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)