|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, Science, Chapter 20, Quackery.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mencken believe life on other planets is highly unlikely?
(a) Temperatures elsewhere than earth cannot sustain life.
(b) There is a lack of carbon on most planets.
(c) God only created life on Earth.
(d) There is too much methane on most planets.
2. What is the fundamental flaw of the democratic style of government?
(a) The people are not competent to govern themselves.
(b) Voting systems can never be 100% accurate.
(c) There are simply too many intelligent people to decide between.
(d) Over time, democracy resembles monarchy.
3. Which Southern state does Mencken particularly mourn in his obituary on the American South?
4. For Mencken, what is the nature of the range of the central psychological spectrum upon which all humans reside?
(a) From cold to romantic.
(b) From calm to paranoid.
(c) From slave mentality to free mentality.
(d) From introvert to extrovert.
5. What is Mencken's central critique for socialism?
(a) It is incompatible with the facts of history.
(b) It does not go far enough to redistribute wealth.
(c) It is a noble idea, but it has not been instituted correctly.
(d) The U.S. refuses to embrace Bolshevik-style socialism, which is the only socialism which has worked.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the qualities of being a teacher according to Mencken?
2. What kind of men has history been written by, to date?
3. What "call" does Mencken make to America's poets in Chapter 7?
4. What does the "believer" type of person inevitably do?
5. What is the chief problem with political theorists?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)