|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Literature, Chapter 26, Literati.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mencken praise doctors in Chapter 16?
(a) A professional class like doctors can create a new American aristocracy.
(b) They have wonderful gadgets that are endlessly fascinating.
(c) They do a great deal of good for poor people.
(d) They are charlatans, but they know how to play the game.
2. Which is NOT one of the qualities of rich people, as described by Mencken?
(a) They engage in exciting, risky ventures.
(b) Many buy public esteem.
(c) They buy boring, unoriginal assets.
(d) They are largely swindlers.
3. What is Mencken's opinion of the belief that man has a soul, according to Chapter 1?
(a) The notion of a soul is simple, but still very relevant today.
(b) The notion of a soul has failed to result in more people acting like God.
(c) The notion of a soul is humanity's one bright spot.
(d) The notion of a soul has led to unprecedented successes in philosophy and elsewhere.
4. What is the worst job in the world, according to Chapter 17?
5. What is the relationship between Anglo-Saxons and civilization?
(a) Anglo-Saxons choose to live outside civilization because they are morally superior.
(b) Anglo-Saxons created civilization, and are its last bastion of hope.
(c) Anglo-Saxons are the least civilized of all white people.
(d) Anglo-Saxons are the most civilized of all white people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do rich people "buy public esteem" according to Mencken?
2. Who did the Black Plague mostly kill off, according to Mencken?
3. What was the most damning effect of the Civil War, in regard to the South?
4. What was the goal of early democratists?
5. What is the crux of Mr. Ayres' philosophical argument that Mencken criticizes?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)