|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Literature, Chapter 26, Literati.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Mencken notes that there are too few books written about what subject?
(c) True crime.
2. What is the relationship between free will and morality?
(a) Free will is the cause as well as the effect of morality.
(b) Free will creates several difficulties for morality.
(c) Free will and morality work hand in hand in a positive way.
(d) Free will has no relationship to morality.
3. What aspect of Lincoln's historical persona does Mencken doubt, or at least question?
(a) His pragmatic, practical approach to political problems.
(b) His reputation for being a great orator.
(c) His status as an outsider and a "dark horse."
(d) His adherence to Christianity.
4. What was the most damning effect of the Civil War, in regard to the South?
(a) It created the Southern aristocracy.
(b) It introduced technology into an innocent and primitive society.
(c) It destroyed the Southern aristocracy.
(d) It replaced religious values with secular ones.
5. What period in history does Mencken refer to as "New Deal No. 1"?
(a) North Africa in the 1900s.
(b) America in the 1770s.
(c) Britain in the 1910s.
(d) France in the 1840s.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mencken meet Sister Aimee?
2. What is the contemporary invention that Mencken likes most?
3. What aspect of human nature fuels the democratic system of government?
4. What aspect of President Grant does Mencken admire?
5. In Chapter 15, Mencken expresses surprise that no one has violated the tomb of which man?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)