|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25, Literature, Chapter 26, Literati.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would George Washington fare in today's political climate?
(a) He would be arrested for corruption.
(b) He would easily be elected president.
(c) He would be bewildered by modern methods and unable to perform his duties.
(d) He would have no chance of winning any political office.
2. What device does Mencken call a "boon to bores"?
3. What is the second-worst job in the world, according to Chapter 17?
(c) Market vendor.
4. What does Mencken believe about contemporary understanding of alcoholism?
(a) Alcoholism is much more dangerous than even the doctors warn.
(b) Most claims about the deleterious effects of alcohol are exaggerated.
(c) Alcoholism is a blight on American society.
(d) Alcoholism is one of the rare instances in which doctors fully understand the disease.
5. Where did Mencken meet Sister Aimee?
(a) The offices of the Baltimore Sun.
(b) An Indian retreat.
(c) The San Diego Zoo.
(d) The Los Angeles Basilica.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mencken's opinion of the American South?
2. What does Mencken NOT believe about the possibility for morality to change over time?
3. Which Southern state does Mencken particularly mourn in his obituary on the American South?
4. What does Mencken say about the nature of scientific hypotheses?
5. In "female novels," how are males portrayed according to Mencken?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)