|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Democracy, Chapter 10, Americans.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fundamental flaw of the democratic style of government?
(a) The people are not competent to govern themselves.
(b) There are simply too many intelligent people to decide between.
(c) Over time, democracy resembles monarchy.
(d) Voting systems can never be 100% accurate.
2. What is the proper function of punishment for crimes?
(a) As a deterrent only.
(b) As a deterrent, but also more.
(c) To create a sense of false dignity in society.
(d) As a mere incentivizing device.
3. How does Mencken define government?
(a) A collection of the looniest among us.
(b) A war on the poor.
(c) A dozen men who can't do anything right.
(d) A conspiracy against superior men.
4. What is Man's one unique characteristic, per Chapter 1?
(a) Romantic feeling.
(b) The ability to betray.
5. Who derives several advantages from marriage?
(a) Men only.
(b) Women only.
(c) Only the state.
(d) Men and women equally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mencken's belief about crime?
2. What kind of men does a democracy produce?
3. Before democracy came to be, what did people believe this system of government to be?
4. What is Mencken's opinion about the variety of political systems?
5. Mencken sees that too often any discussion of suicide is rooted in what incorrect notion?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)