|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23, Souvenirs of a Journalist, Chapter 24, Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Chapter 7?
(a) Classical composers.
2. Why does Mencken praise doctors in Chapter 16?
(a) They are charlatans, but they know how to play the game.
(b) A professional class like doctors can create a new American aristocracy.
(c) They have wonderful gadgets that are endlessly fascinating.
(d) They do a great deal of good for poor people.
3. What was Roosevelt's team of political advisers popularly called?
(a) The Washington Eggheads.
(b) Roosevelt's Riveters.
(c) The Brain Trust.
(d) The Brooklyn Thirteen.
4. According to Chapter 16, which political system is responsible for the majority of civilization as we know it?
5. In Chapter 15, Mencken expresses surprise that no one has violated the tomb of which man?
(a) Charles Joseph Bonaparte.
(b) Grover Cleveland.
(c) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(d) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Scopes Monkey Trial take place?
2. In Chapter 23, Mencken attends a church service during the Scopes Monkey Trial. What is his impression of that service?
3. What do men become once they accumulate wealth?
4. What BEST characterizes Mencken's view of the townspeople involved in the Scopes Monkey Trial?
5. Where did Mencken meet Sister Aimee?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)