|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23, Souvenirs of a Journalist, Chapter 24, Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the chief problem with political theorists?
(a) They attempt to dignify the political order of their day.
(b) They have little sense of history.
(c) They are too antagonistic to the current political system.
(d) They hate politics in general.
2. What quality makes for the best literary critic, according to Chapter 24?
(a) Advancing a personal agenda or doctrine.
(b) Accuracy and a need to refute error.
(c) Adhering to a specific philosophical system.
(d) The goal to create a work of art.
3. Why does Mencken criticize the American Medical Association?
(a) For turning down his membership application.
(b) For making it too easy to become a doctor.
(c) For supporting a bunch of quack science.
(d) For making it too difficult to become a doctor.
4. Who was the attorney on the side of the defense in the Scopes Monkey Trial?
(a) Anthony Still.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Clarence Darrow.
(d) Theodore Veblen.
5. What do men become once they accumulate wealth?
(c) More amorous.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mencken define government?
2. Mencken reports on a boxing with which famed boxer?
3. What was Mencken's opinion of New Deal programs?
4. In Chapter 23, Mencken attends a church service during the Scopes Monkey Trial. What is his impression of that service?
5. Who was the attorney on the side of the prosecution in the Scopes Monkey Trial?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)