|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23, Souvenirs of a Journalist, Chapter 24, Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 16, which political system is responsible for the majority of civilization as we know it?
2. In Chapter 23, Mencken attends a church service during the Scopes Monkey Trial. What is his impression of that service?
(a) He is impressed with the sermon of the preacher.
(b) He is pleased by its sense of decorum.
(c) He is shocked by its barbarism.
(d) He is outraged that they did not invite William Jennings Bryan.
3. What quality makes for the best literary critic, according to Chapter 24?
(a) Adhering to a specific philosophical system.
(b) Advancing a personal agenda or doctrine.
(c) Accuracy and a need to refute error.
(d) The goal to create a work of art.
4. What is the "average man's" opinion of government?
(a) The government is made up of people like him.
(b) The government is deceitful and contrary to his interests.
(c) The government is a source of great good.
(d) The government is an unknown phenomenon the average man knows nothing about.
5. Why does Mencken praise doctors in Chapter 16?
(a) They do a great deal of good for poor people.
(b) They are charlatans, but they know how to play the game.
(c) A professional class like doctors can create a new American aristocracy.
(d) They have wonderful gadgets that are endlessly fascinating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Privately, politicians are what kind of people?
2. How does Mencken define government?
3. Which is NOT one of the negative effects Mencken mentions in regards to Prohibition?
4. What is the subject of Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 15, Mencken expresses surprise that no one has violated the tomb of which man?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)