|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23, Souvenirs of a Journalist, Chapter 24, Criticism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Mencken expresses surprise that no one has violated the tomb of which man?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Charles Joseph Bonaparte.
(c) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(d) Grover Cleveland.
2. What is Mencken's central critique for socialism?
(a) It is incompatible with the facts of history.
(b) It is a noble idea, but it has not been instituted correctly.
(c) It does not go far enough to redistribute wealth.
(d) The U.S. refuses to embrace Bolshevik-style socialism, which is the only socialism which has worked.
3. How does Mencken react to a religious ceremony inside a basilica, as he recounts in Chapter 15?
(a) With joy.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With intellectual curiosity.
(d) With disgust.
4. Where did the Scopes Monkey Trial take place?
(a) Dayton, Tennessee.
(b) Frankfurt, Kentucky.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Mexico, Missouri.
5. What is the chief problem with political theorists?
(a) They hate politics in general.
(b) They attempt to dignify the political order of their day.
(c) They have little sense of history.
(d) They are too antagonistic to the current political system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Roosevelt's team of political advisers popularly called?
2. Who was the attorney on the side of the prosecution in the Scopes Monkey Trial?
3. In Chapter 7, Mencken notes that there are too few books written about what subject?
4. Which is NOT one of the negative effects Mencken mentions in regards to Prohibition?
5. Why might "reflective and skeptical men" refrain from suicide?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)