|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will eventually be a major witness for the defense?
2. What color does Alice wear in court to appear vulnerable?
3. How much money does Howard accept for the farm?
4. What does Alice hear a lot while in jail?
5. Who helps Howard with the girls and provides dinner in the evenings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
2. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
3. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
4. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
5. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
6. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
7. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
8. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
9. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
10. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alice and Theresa. What are their obvious differences? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Howard and Alice and Theresa and Dan. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, and other life-defining features.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)