|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard recalls his father's moral of ____________________.
2. What do Howard and Alice buy for the girls on the way home from court?
3. Theresa faults her relatives for ________________________.
4. Why does Theresa feel guilty about Alice's arrest?
5. What does Alice do when she sees the girls in the jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
2. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
3. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
4. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
5. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
6. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
7. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
8. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
9. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
10. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alice and Theresa. What are their obvious differences? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book A MAP OF THE WORLD? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)