|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alice's cell mate?
2. Alice likens jail to ________________________.
3. Howard recalls that his father threatened to _______________ if he got a woman pregnant.
4. What surgery does Alice have while in jail?
5. Which of the following is NOT something about court that Theresa compares to religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
2. How does the sale of the farm affect both Howard and Alice?
3. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
4. What is Alice's perspective on Nellie's so-called generosity?
5. How does Alice refer to her map of the world while describing her jail experience?
6. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
7. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
8. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
9. How does Theresa compare court to church?
10. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Theresa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Alice and Theresa. What are their obvious differences? What things bring them together? What similarities do they share?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)