|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alice mad at Theresa?
2. Where is Emma now reluctant to go?
3. What does Alice do between meals in jail?
4. Who insists on interviewing Alice's daughters?
5. Who is Theresa's remaining daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
2. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
3. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
4. What is Theresa's view on mercy at this point in her life?
5. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
6. How does Theresa compare court to church?
7. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
8. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
9. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
10. How does the sale of the farm affect both Howard and Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Theresa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)