|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which real estate company does Howard call?
2. Who insists on interviewing Alice's daughters?
3. The mention of Robbie's babysitter, ___________________, breaks the composure of Robbie and his mother.
4. Whom do Howard and the girls see on the way home from the jail?
5. Howard describes a quote by ________________ which is carved over the courthouse entrance.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
2. How does Theresa compare court to church?
3. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
4. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
5. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
6. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
7. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
8. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
9. How does Alice refer to her map of the world while describing her jail experience?
10. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time is an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Hamilton use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)