|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard and the girls move into a townhouse at _____________________.
2. How much money does Howard accept for the farm?
3. What medical procedure had Theresa had after Lizzy's birth?
4. Why is Alice so sad about the loss of the farm?
5. About what does Theresa cry in Howard's arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
2. What is Alice's perspective on Nellie's so-called generosity?
3. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
4. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
5. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
6. What is Theresa's view on mercy at this point in her life?
7. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
8. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
9. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
10. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Howard spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. About what does he think? At what conclusions does he arrive? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)