|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Howard's dairy museum?
2. Alice is perceived as a ________________ in prison.
3. Who insists on interviewing Alice's daughters?
4. Why does Howard collect rocks from the fields?
5. Which real estate company does Howard call?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
2. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
3. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
4. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
5. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
6. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
7. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
8. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
9. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
10. How does Theresa compare court to church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Howard spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. About what does he think? At what conclusions does he arrive? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)