|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alice's cell mate?
2. What does Dan do to avoid thinking about Lizzy?
3. What is ruining Howard's farm?
4. What does Theresa tell Alice that she has done to save her own marriage?
5. How much money does Howard accept for the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alice compare Howard to her father?
2. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
3. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
4. How does Alice describe jail and why is it so difficult for her?
5. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
6. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
7. What is Alice's perspective on Nellie's so-called generosity?
8. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
9. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
10. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)