|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice do between meals in jail?
2. Who is Theresa's remaining daughter?
3. How old is Robbie Mackessy?
4. What surgery does Alice have while in jail?
5. What does Howard do with the money from the sale of the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
2. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
3. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
4. What are Alice's thoughts about religion as she is locked up?
5. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
6. How does the sale of the farm affect both Howard and Alice?
7. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
8. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
9. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
10. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Theresa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)