|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Alice consider while in prison?
2. What does Howard do with the money from the sale of the farm?
3. How much money does Howard accept for the farm?
4. Which of the following is NOT a topic Howard puts in his letter to Alice?
5. What medical procedure had Theresa had after Lizzy's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
2. What happens after Howard and the girls leave the jail and what does Howard bring up in a letter he writes to Alice?
3. What information is Howard able to give Rafferty about Alice's past as well as his own?
4. Why is the lunch between Theresa and Alice so awkward?
5. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
6. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
7. What is Alice's perspective on Nellie's so-called generosity?
8. What is Howard's interpretation of Alice's fleeing from the girls when they visit the jail for the first time?
9. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
10. Describe Theresa's last night with Howard and the girls.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Theresa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)