|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical procedure had Theresa had after Lizzy's birth?
2. What is notable about Alice's face when she sees the girls?
3. What is ruining Howard's farm?
4. What religion does Alice consider while in prison?
5. What does Theresa tell Alice that she has done to save her own marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
2. How does Theresa add comfort to the lives of Howard and the girls at the same time that the farm is dying?
3. How do the girls adapt to "hobo life" as Howard calls their apartment adventure?
4. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
5. How do Howard and the girls prepare to move out of the farmhouse?
6. How does Alice feel about Rafferty's plans for her and for the trial?
7. How does Theresa compare court to church?
8. How does Alice describe jail and why is it so difficult for her?
9. What is Howard's perspective on the Goethe quote carved above the courthouse entrance?
10. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)