|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about Alice's face when she sees the girls?
2. What does Alice do between meals in jail?
3. What religion does Alice consider while in prison?
4. Howard concentrates on the life cycles of __________________.
5. Howard recalls that his father threatened to _______________ if he got a woman pregnant.
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of loss.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Howard and Alice and Theresa and Dan. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, and other life-defining features.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)