|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alice so sad about the loss of the farm?
2. Who is the real estate agent who comes to view Howard's farm?
3. Where does Howard get a job?
4. Which of the following is NOT something about court that Theresa compares to religion?
5. Alice's trial is set for which month?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Hamilton's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author uses them where she does.
Essay Topic 2
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)