|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard wants to move as far away as Alaska or ___________________.
2. Where do Howard, Alice and the girls stop on the way home from jail?
3. What is the name of Howard's dairy museum?
4. Howard refers to The Gettysburg Address which was written by whom?
5. With what natural disaster is Howard dealing during this time?
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story from Alice's perspective and then transitions to Howard's perspective and then reverts back to Alice's perspective. Why did she choose to tell the story this way? In what way is an alternating point of view more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Howard and Alice and Theresa and Dan. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, and other life-defining features.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)