|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Howard NOT tell Alice on the ride home from the funeral?
(a) To make dinner.
(b) How sad the tiny coffin was.
(c) To go to bed.
(d) To forget Glevitch.
2. Where does Alice go when she runs out of the school board meeting?
(a) The restroom.
(c) Her car.
3. What does Alice make Howard promise he will not do?
(a) Leave the girls with Nellie.
(b) Sell the car.
(c) Divorce her.
(d) Bring the girls to the jail.
4. Howard wants Alice to get ______________________.
(a) Some new clothes.
(b) Professional help.
(c) A used car.
(d) A pilot's license.
5. Where does Alice plan to take her and Theresa's daughters to escape the summer heat?
(a) The city pool.
(b) The mall.
(c) The pond on their farm.
(d) The amusement park.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the school board meeting, Alice wants to _____________________.
2. What had been Alice's version of church while growing up?
3. Where does Alice live?
4. Who is Alice's husband?
5. Alice is in jail in which town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
2. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
3. What is the nature of the relationship between Alice and Howard at this point?
4. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
5. What advice does Rafferty give Alice and what does Howard worry about, given Alice's history?
6. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
7. What advice does Theresa get from her friend, Albert, regarding mourning for Lizzy?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
9. Describe how Howard's life has changed due to harassing phone calls and reporters.
10. What is Alice's only demand on Howard when she goes to jail?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)