|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alice's mother-in-law?
2. What does Alice make Howard promise he will not do?
(a) Leave the girls with Nellie.
(b) Sell the car.
(c) Bring the girls to the jail.
(d) Divorce her.
3. Where does Alice see Theresa?
(a) The grocery.
(b) The mall.
(c) The woods.
4. Where does Alice work?
(a) Racine Medical Center.
(b) The Gap.
(d) Blackwell Elementary.
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason why Alice sleeps for days?
(a) She is unable to cope with her house and children.
(b) She feels alone in her disgrace.
(c) She is on morphine.
(d) She resents hard farm life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Howard's mother live?
2. Who does Howard find to watch the girls while he goes to visit Alice in jail?
3. Howard wants Alice to get ______________________.
4. Which of the following is something that does NOT worry Howard?
5. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Alice and Howard's religious beliefs?
2. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
3. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
4. How does A MAP OF THE WORLD begin?
5. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
6. Describe the School Board meeting when Alice runs away.
7. Why does Alice compare herself to Mr. Rochester's mad wife in JANE EYRE?
8. What stresses wear on Howard both at home and with Alice's incarceration?
9. What advice does Theresa get from her friend, Albert, regarding mourning for Lizzy?
10. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)