|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Theresa's husband?
2. Which of Theresa's daughters drowns in Alice's pond?
3. Who does Howard find to watch the girls while he goes to visit Alice in jail?
(a) Mrs. Sarver.
(c) Miss Bowman.
(d) Principal Henskin.
4. What does Howard want to throw at Miss Bowman when he picks up the girls?
(a) His keys.
(b) A rock.
(c) A book.
(d) A glass.
5. Who is the principal of Blackwell Elementary?
(a) Gus Gilbert.
(b) David Henskin.
(c) Marty Caskey.
(d) Steve Jacoby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice meets a young __________________ minister whom she considers a phony.
2. What had been Alice's version of church while growing up?
3. What does Alice think of Carol?
4. Who pays for Alice's college degree?
5. What does Howard think about while waiting to see Alice in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Theresa's response to Alice's arrest and what role will she probably play in Alice's defense?
2. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
3. How does the trial turn in Alice's favor with the testimony of witnesses about Robbie's mother's inappropriate behavior?
4. What are the details of Howard's sale of the farm and how much does he accept for its purchase?
5. What is the nature of the impromptu meeting between Alice and Theresa in the apple orchard?
6. Why can it be said that the legal system is little more than posturing and tearing down?
7. How does Howard describe his state of confusion in Chapter 11?
8. How is the Goodwin family's life in the apartment radically different from the farm where they belong?
9. What is revealed about Alice and Howard's religious beliefs?
10. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)