|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alice's husband's profession?
(d) Dairy farmer.
2. Where does Howard's mother live?
(a) Ft. Lauderdale.
(b) St. Paul.
3. Which of Theresa's daughters drowns in Alice's pond?
4. Howard urges Alice to bear up for _____________________.
(a) Her own self esteem.
(b) Their marriage.
(c) The sake of their daughters.
(d) Public appearances.
5. Alice feels that she and Theresa are friends just like two characters in which classic television show?
(a) The Dick Van Dyke Show.
(c) Leave it to Beaver.
(d) All in the Family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice do when the police arrive to arrest her?
2. What did Theresa once do for the man in #47?
3. Alice is sure that God could not let __________________.
4. Nellie will be leaving soon to work in what country?
5. Alice wishes that Howard could _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
2. What is Alice's job and why did she enter into this career field?
3. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
4. What is the nature of the relationship between Alice and Howard at this point?
5. What advice does Theresa get from her friend, Albert, regarding mourning for Lizzy?
6. Why does Alice compare herself to Mr. Rochester's mad wife in JANE EYRE?
7. What is the tragedy that occurs early in the story?
8. Who is Nellie and what is her relationship with the Goodwins?
9. What is the nature of the impromptu meeting between Alice and Theresa in the apple orchard?
10. What is the purpose of Chapter 7 and how will Nellie's departure mean volatility?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)