|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alice is compared to which fictional character?
(a) Scarlett O'Hara.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) Jane Eyre.
(d) Becky Thatcher.
2. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) While tucking his daughters in at night.
(c) While doing his farmwork.
(d) In front of her coffin.
3. At the school board meeting, Alice wants to _____________________.
(a) Have a chance to speak.
(b) End the meeting quickly.
(c) Run out into the sunset.
(d) Vote for the school levy.
4. Theresa tells Alice that she saw _____________________________.
(a) The highway shining with the Holy Spirit.
(b) Snow in July.
(c) The lunar eclipse.
(d) The launch of the Space Shuttle.
5. Which attorney does Alice want Howard to call?
(a) Paul Rafferty.
(b) James Hall.
(c) Donald Mulligan.
(d) Edward Pearson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alice jokes that jail is _____________________.
2. Alice's bail is set at what amount?
3. How many felony counts does Alice face?
4. Where does Alice live?
5. Alice wishes that Howard could _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Alice call out when the officers question her and how can it be detrimental for her?
2. What does Theresa tell Howard regarding her feelings about her and her life with Dan now?
3. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
4. What is the purpose of the interviews conducted with Alice's daughters and the Child Welfare Office?
5. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
6. What is the story about a dog and a tangled leash that recurs throughout the novel?
7. Why does Alice compare herself to Mr. Rochester's mad wife in JANE EYRE?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
9. What is happening in the Goodwin's lives that starts to let them feel normal again?
10. How does the author show that Alice's thoughts on religion are still very elementary?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)