|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice think of Carol?
(a) She is her best friend.
(b) She has potential to be a great singer.
(c) She lives below community moral standards.
(d) She is a good influence on the neighbor kids.
2. Alice guiltily rejoices that _______________ is out of danger.
3. Alice needs Howard's help to ___________________.
(d) Play piano.
4. How supportive is Howard as Alice worries about attending the funeral?
(a) He is overly attentive.
(b) He knows the perfect thing to say.
(c) He tries but falls short.
(d) He is of no help.
5. Howard urges Alice to bear up for _____________________.
(a) Public appearances.
(b) Her own self esteem.
(c) Their marriage.
(d) The sake of their daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alice see Theresa?
2. Alice asks Howard not to tell Nellie or ___________________.
3. What instrument does Howard play after dinner?
4. Alice is in jail in which town?
5. When does the enormity of Lizzy's death hit Howard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Rafferty give Alice and what does Howard worry about, given Alice's history?
2. What is Alice's job and why did she enter into this career field?
3. What is the importance of Alice's mother recording Laura Ingalls Wilder's LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS?
4. What is the relationship between Alice and her mother-in-law, Nellie, after Lizzy's funeral?
5. What advice does Theresa get from her friend, Albert, regarding mourning for Lizzy?
6. What is the significance of the maps of the world that Alice had drawn as a child?
7. Describe the behavior of Howard and Alice in the church for Lizzy's funeral.
8. What is the nature of the relationship between Alice and Howard at this point?
9. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
10. What is the tragedy that occurs early in the story?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)