|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How supportive is Howard as Alice worries about attending the funeral?
(a) He is of no help.
(b) He knows the perfect thing to say.
(c) He tries but falls short.
(d) He is overly attentive.
2. Who is the former parish priest whom Theresa visits?
(a) Bill Roberts.
(b) Albert Satinga.
(c) Paul Shannon.
(d) Mario Santini.
3. What is Alice's husband's profession?
(d) Dairy farmer.
4. What is Carol's last name?
5. What is Theresa doing when Alice sees her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howard's mother tell him he needs to buy?
2. Howard's mother treats him like __________________.
3. About what does Howard try to assure Alice?
4. Alice jokes that jail is _____________________.
5. Where does Alice go to avoid a talk with Nellie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alice compare herself to Mr. Rochester's mad wife in JANE EYRE?
2. What thoughts does Alice have regarding God that show her elementary thinking on the topic?
3. Describe the School Board meeting when Alice runs away.
4. What stresses wear on Howard both at home and with Alice's incarceration?
5. What is the significance of the maps of the world that Alice had drawn as a child?
6. How do Mrs. Mackessy and Mrs. M.L. Glevitch push Alice to the breaking point at Lizzy's funeral?
7. What advice does Theresa get from her friend, Albert, regarding mourning for Lizzy?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing by introducing Robbie Mackessy's mother in the hospital lounge scene?
9. How does Howard react to Alice's arrest, especially noting Alice's behavior?
10. What bizarre ideas does Alice have regarding sacrifice in Christian beliefs?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)